Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NEW HANGAR 9 CHRISTEN EAGLE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NEW HANGAR 9 CHRISTEN EAGLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Bif99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have a solution to your problem extending the exhaust tubes on your Pitts style muffler. I recently completed a Christian Eagle with a O.S. 1.20 4C engine. The engine is side mounted which allows the muffler to stay within the cowl. It is pointed down at an angle and toward the firewall but stops a couple of inches away from the firewall. I purchased some silicone tubing 3/8" ID X 5/8" OD and zip tied 8" to the end of the muffler. The tubing bends slightly as it exits the bottom of the cowl. Your installation might be neater with a Pitts style muffler. The tubing will probably come straight out. If the ID works on your muffler I can send you some. Just let me know how much you need. Otherwise, you can look for a different size at www.usplastic.com.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bif99
I may have a solution to your problem extending the exhaust tubes on your Pitts style muffler. I recently completed a Christian Eagle with a O.S. 1.20 4C engine. The engine is side mounted which allows the muffler to stay within the cowl. It is pointed down at an angle and toward the firewall but stops a couple of inches away from the firewall. I purchased some silicone tubing 3/8" ID X 5/8" OD and zip tied 8" to the end of the muffler. The tubing bends slightly as it exits the bottom of the cowl. Your installation might be neater with a Pitts style muffler. The tubing will probably come straight out. If the ID works on your muffler I can send you some. Just let me know how much you need. Otherwise, you can look for a different size at www.usplastic.com.
Thanks for your kind offer but I think I have a solution. I will cut the down tubes on the muffler about half way down, use silicone tubing to extend the down tubes down and back towards the firewall, Then I will use the cut off exaust stubs to finish it off. I will then use clamps for electrical conduit to secure the tubes to the firewall.
Make sense? This way, I only have to cut enough of the cowl to allow for cooling airflow. I saw the DLE20 set-ups on this thread and yikes! That's just brutal. the only thing sticking out of my cowl will be the needle valve and the exaust stubs. Just my way, I guess. I expect my Eagle to weigh less than 9lbs. dry. She'll be light, nimble, and quick. By the way; great bunch of guys here. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Bif99

Sounds good. Post a picture when you finish the installation.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by Bif99
Sounds good. Post a picture when you finish the installation.
Will do.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 AM
born2build

Hey, guys. Just to let you know, this will be my last ARF. I'm having a hard time staying motivated with this thing. I'm not sure why. Although when I have it mocked up and sitting on the living room floor, it looks stunning! Vibrant colors and just the right size. And I'm really looking forward to flying the darn thing. I've also been looking for a good used truck as all I have for transportation is a motor scooter (long story). So lots to do before I can make it out to the field again. It has been quite a while since I've done any serious flying. I hope to have all my poop in a group by spring when the weather is ideal for flying as summer in the high desert is brutal! Anyhoo, I'll keep plugging away here and keep you guys posted. After the Eagle is test flown and declared airworthy, you'll find me in the kit builder's forum. That's where I really belong. Anyone know how I can change my username (born2build)? I can't seem to figure it out. Until next time, build something, will ya? You won't regret it. Start with something simple like a Goldberg Tiger or a Great Planes Super Sportster. Both are easy builds and great flyers. I've built models from peanuts to 1/5 scale so, I can probably help. And remember, the key to a good landing is a good approach.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To change your user name, go to the RCU home page. In the upper right side you will see "my account" with a drop down menu arrow beside it. Don't bother with the drop down menu, just click on the words "my account". That will take you to the member account information page. There you will see all of your member account info, right beside your user name you will see "request change".

From there just put in a help ticket to request a user name change.

Don't give up on the Christen Eagle. If you can keep the weight down to 8 - 10 pounds you will love the way the plane fly's. Mine is my second favorite bi-plane behind my Waco. (a lot easier to assemble at the field too)
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM
vfourmax

New member coming back into the hobby after many years away. I have one of the Hangar 9 eagles with a dle 20 installed that I picked up and I also have one NIB that I plan to put together in the future. I am really wanting to use a gas 4 stroke on the new one. I have seen where ngh has come out with a 30cc gas four stroke anyone know anything about these and how it may work in the hangar 9 eagle? Thanks, Bill
Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by vfourmax
New member coming back into the hobby after many years away. I have one of the Hangar 9 eagles with a dle 20 installed that I picked up and I also have one NIB that I plan to put together in the future. I am really wanting to use a gas 4 stroke on the new one. I have seen where ngh has come out with a 30cc gas four stroke anyone know anything about these and how it may work in the hangar 9 eagle? Thanks, Bill
I looked it up. That engine with ignition and muffler weighs over 3lbs! And I don't know if that includes the ignition battery, probably not. The Hanger 9 Christen Eagle II 90 ARF was never intended for use with such an engine, let alone a DLE 20. My Supertigre G90 ring weighs 1.7 pounds with the muffler, swings a 14x6 Xoar prop right at 10,000 rpm and produces nearly 10 pounds of static thrust, even more in the air! with a projected weight of less than 10 pounds, well.... let's just say my Eagle will fly in spectacular fashion, if I can ever finish the darn thing. Plus (oh yes, there's more) lower stall speeds AND lower landing speeds. But good luck with yours.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:53 PM
vfourmax

Originally Posted by richardlv1953
I looked it up. That engine with ignition and muffler weighs over 3lbs! And I don't know if that includes the ignition battery, probably not. The Hanger 9 Christen Eagle II 90 ARF was never intended for use with such an engine, let alone a DLE 20. My Supertigre G90 ring weighs 1.7 pounds with the muffler, swings a 14x6 Xoar prop right at 10,000 rpm and produces nearly 10 pounds of static thrust, even more in the air! with a projected weight of less than 10 pounds, well.... let's just say my Eagle will fly in spectacular fashion, if I can ever finish the darn thing. Plus (oh yes, there's more) lower stall speeds AND lower landing speeds. But good luck with yours.
I do not understand when you say "let alone a DLE 20". The DLE 20 weighs 28.9 oz and the Supertigre G90 weighs 27.0 oz so for a total of a 1.9 oz difference and that weight difference is total weight including the ignition and muffler for the DLE.. Also the published specs on both engines rate them both at 2.5 hp @9000 for the DLE and 14,800 for the G90. Recommended props are from a 14x10- 18x6 for the DLE and 12x8-13x6 for the G90. My Eagle as set up is swinging a 16x8 xoar prop. I got the specs for both engines off of Towers web site.

It is well known that gasoline makes less power than glow fuel but gives better fuel economy at much less expense. Glow fuel also makes engine cooling a little less critical but comes with the side benefit of the oily residue it leaves behind on the airframe So it seems that the G90 and the DLE20 should be pretty on par with each other from a power and performance standpoint with similar wing loadings, weights and landing speeds . So from what the published specs are showing if you are saying the DLE20 is grossly overpowering or excessively heavy for the airframe then the G90 will share the same characteristics.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
KaP2011

Both will be way more than enough power for acceptable performance. Mine at around 8.5 lbs with an OS FS 91 fly's like a dream and lands like a butterfly with sore feet.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 AM
born2build

test
Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by vfourmax
I do not understand when you say "let alone a DLE 20". The DLE 20 weighs 28.9 oz and the Supertigre G90 weighs 27.0 oz so for a total of a 1.9 oz difference and that weight difference is total weight including the ignition and muffler for the DLE.. Also the published specs on both engines rate them both at 2.5 hp @9000 for the DLE and 14,800 for the G90. Recommended props are from a 14x10- 18x6 for the DLE and 12x8-13x6 for the G90. My Eagle as set up is swinging a 16x8 xoar prop. I got the specs for both engines off of Towers web site.

It is well known that gasoline makes less power than glow fuel but gives better fuel economy at much less expense. Glow fuel also makes engine cooling a little less critical but comes with the side benefit of the oily residue it leaves behind on the airframe So it seems that the G90 and the DLE20 should be pretty on par with each other from a power and performance standpoint with similar wing loadings, weights and landing speeds . So from what the published specs are showing if you are saying the DLE20 is grossly overpowering or excessively heavy for the airframe then the G90 will share the same characteristics.
Whoa, easy there, big fella! It seems I may have spoken a little too soon as I have not checked the specs on the DLE 20. I apologize for that. It's probably because I keep seeing people putting models together that are over powered and over weight.Then they complain about the thing flying like an ICBM and landing like a brick! However(you had to know this was coming),I do have an issue (or three) with your post. First, I never used the term "grossly overpowering". So please refrain from putting words in my mouth, ok? It's not very nice. Second, the weight and power of an engine aren't the only factors I consider when I choose an engine. I also look at things like reliability, ease of handling, prop clearance, vibration levels, initial cost, etc. I never think about the cost of fuel, I do have other airplanes, including electric so, it won't be that bad, If I want fuel economy, I'll get a Prius. As far as the "benefit" of the oily residue, well, you got me there. However, With the exaust exiting out the bottom, the goopy mess can be kept to a minimum. I don't mind bringing some paper towels and Windex with me. By the way, these two engines do not share the same characteristics. they are two completely different animals, in my humble opinion. Happy landings!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 AM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Well this will be my next biplane! I just have a question for all of you engine gurus out there.... I have a NIB Supertiger 2000 (not the 2300) with a pitts muffler and I would love to use this engine on something. Could the Eagle be the airframe that I have been searching for?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all, first off I havent read the whole thread yet. I will before I buy this plane if I do. I have a OS 160 twin and looking for a plane for that engine. I dont want to do the cub like all the rest. This engine is a bit heavy at around 38 ounces. Question is how would this engine perform in this plane. I can move stuff around to get the balance where I like thats easy.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:15 AM
KaP2011

I've not used the 160 Gemini on the Christen Eagle but I have used it on a 15lb stearman and it flew it just fine. The engine will easily fit in the cowl. I would estimate the plane would come out somewhere around 10lbs. I think it would sound awesome and fly the plane with authority. If it were me, I'd go for it.

Originally Posted by airraptor
Hello all, first off I havent read the whole thread yet. I will before I buy this plane if I do. I have a OS 160 twin and looking for a plane for that engine. I dont want to do the cub like all the rest. This engine is a bit heavy at around 38 ounces. Question is how would this engine perform in this plane. I can move stuff around to get the balance where I like thats easy.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok thanks my main concern was the weight as I like light airplanes but have flown many heavy ones like F-7F tiger cats and P-38s with millions of servos lol
Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 AM
jerrymeister

Default Template question

Originally Posted by Bob Howard
Finally getting around to installing the DLE 20. It will fit completely inside ofthe cowl wit just the tips of the pipes and possably the plug wire.
Can you tell me what you used for a template for this motor for mounting? Will the template that comes with the arf kit work?

Jerry Cleveland

Last edited by jerrymeister; 09-22-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 AM
jerrymeister

Can anyone tell me if I can just use what the manual gives me for mounting the DLE 20 on the Christen Eagle II? Also it come with a template for a Saito. Any help is appreciated.

Jerry
Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by jerrymeister
Can anyone tell me if I can just use what the manual gives me for mounting the DLE 20 on the Christen Eagle II? Also it come with a template for a Saito. Any help is appreciated.
No, it does not come a template for the DLE 20. Plenty of guys have used this engine. Go back through this thread and they should be here, somewhere. Just as a point of reference, my Eagle is powered with a Supertigre G90 (2-stroke glow). I replaced virtually all of the included hardware. All-up weight, without fuel is 8lbs, 14 oz. Testing will commence as soon as the weather permits.
Jerry
I expect this power to weight ratio to provide stellar results.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 AM
jerrymeister

Originally Posted by born2build
I expect this power to weight ratio to provide stellar results.
Yes stellar. My question still is mount placement though. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 AM
KaP2011

Forgive me for asking but why do you need a template to mount your engine?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM
jerrymeister

Originally Posted by KaP2011
Forgive me for asking but why do you need a template to mount your engine?
Maybe template is not the right word. I just am unsure of where the mounting holes get drilled for the motor mount. Possibly I am over thinking this. In the manual it gives the measurements, just want to make sure that is what I use.

Jerry
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM
ken
My Feedback: (27)

What muffler did you use with 91FX? Thanks.
Ken