Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RX question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RX question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Jetskier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX question

Just bought the Hanger 9, P51 sport 40, that I will build as an electric, and was wondering if I can us the spectrum AR6100 which came with my DX7 or the AR500 which was in my sons PZ Stensen, which had a terrible crash. Other than that, I will buy all the recommended servos,esc and motor recommended for the kit.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RX question

I researched this on the Horizon website, and couldn't come up with anything positive.

The AR6100 is listed as a Blade heli receiver. My little Blade has one in it. I don't know if it will work on fixed wing. I'm guessing not, as the Rx listed for the DX7 is the AR8000. The AR500 doesn't come up on a search.

Some of the Spektrum small heli radio systems have very limited range, and that's something you have to be very careful about.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Jetskier

Ya, I have the heli version of the DX7,  which came with servos and RX, the Ar500 came out of the Park Zone Stenson Foamie, The guy at my lhs said the Rx from the Stenson should work but I just want to make sure.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, couple of thoughts....

The AR6100 is defined as a "Park Flyer" rx mostly used for small electrics and that means smaller than your Mustang. The AR500 is defined as a "Full Range" rx meaning it can be used for larger models which would be expected to get farther away. However.... the AR500 had some issues and I've never really seen anything reported about a fix, suffice to say it's been replaced by the AR600.

If it was me, I'd put the AR62XX which uses a satellite rx in that model....
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

If it was me, I'd put the AR62XX which uses a satellite rx in that model....
Me too.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Jetskier

ya, for piece of mind, I will just spend the extra 80 bucks, not complaing about the money but now I am up yo about $ 380.00 in electronics and that does not include Flaps or retracts, oh buy the way can I use the servos from the Stenson just for flaps?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Just depends on what the Mustang calls for with the servos and whether or not the servos for the Stinson meet those specs? My suspicion is that those servos will be too small.

One of the downsides to going with bigger models is that the electronics get expensive real quick, but they're really the heart of the whole project and I find no reason to skimp on that stuff for that reason. As a rule of thumb on smaller models (once you get to the size I usually fly, you just get the biggest thing available... ) I like to pick a servo which exceeds the manufacturer's recommendation by 50%.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Mustang is a 40 size model, and needs servos that can generate at least 35 oz in of torque. Any "standard" servo will work in that application- HiTec HS325s; Futaba S3004s; etc.