Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Texas RC Planes Piper Pawnee??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Texas RC Planes Piper Pawnee??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
ACKopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas RC Planes Piper Pawnee??

Looking for a Pawnee and ran across this offering from Texas RC Planes http://www.texasrcplanes.com/pircai26pipa.html.
Looks very good to me and very reasonably priced as well.
I've searched and dug through forums all day and can find little to no info on this plane and Texas RC. (I'm not exactly a computer guru but I tried)
Anyone out there have experience with these folks or this plane have any info to share on the planes quality and Texas RC in general?
Any input will be helpfull.
Thanks, Chris
Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Texas RC Planes Piper Pawnee??

I'm a bit of a Pawnee fan myself... What size plane are you looking for?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
ACKopter

Some where around the 100" wingspan mark.
The one being offered here is 97" I believe. RC guys have one that is very similar in size but I have decide to find other options based on what I have read of RC guys quality. H-9 has a smaller one (too small) and a larger one(way too expensive) so this seems to be next option.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
G.Barber

The world models has a Pawnee with a 108" wingspan designed for a 50 cc gasser. I have assembled their planes before, and the quality has been good. I believe the Pawnee from TWM sells for around $600.00.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM
ACKopter

I hope what Texas RC offers has a good rep as the TWM version is a good bit more money wise but I will look in to that one as well, Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
A6TEXAN

i have ordered 3 aircraft from them. all shipped quickly and at resonable rates. also met the folks several times at local meets. he definitly has the stock.
his planes are quality wood and are well built but, these are not high end arf's. as you can guess by the pricing.
will say the 3 planes i bought all flew great. still flying one today. you will most likely be pleased all the way around.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
ACKopter

Thanks for the info A6TEXAN. I'm still fairly new to RC and lack familiarity with who offers what in the way of kit quality. How or what would you consider lacking on the Texas RC kit compared to a high end arf?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Usually its the covering and small details.

I never built a Texas RC model but their models are built by the same factories as Nitromodels, AK-Model, RC Guys, and the like. Usually almost all the hardware is unusable. The fiberglass parts get the job done but don't always fit well and the paint can be off color and the trim lines don't match up with the fuse covering when mounted. Scale wise, the planes are usually best described as "Similar" rather than scale but sometimes you'd be surprised. Like I mentioned, the covering usually sucks. Its usable but not very durable and the color separates from the film easily and requires a pretty different technique to handle than Monokote or Ultracote. The wood is usually lasercut and fits well but you'll have to pay attention to glue joints. Especially in high stress areas some extra glue on your part goes along way. Don't even get me started on the instructions....best I can say is good luck. If you've never assembled an ARF or built a kit, then ASK QUESTIONS on these boards and/or read alot of build threads.

You'll notice I say "usually" alot because sometimes you get a diamond in the rough and having said all that, the planes are pretty light and if assembled carefully and "STRAIGHT", they fly very well.

And finally..... I can talk all day about the differences but unless you built, or tried to build one, then built something like a Hanger 9 ARF, you just wont "understand" what I'm talking about. Funny thing is though, even Hanger 9 ARFs are not perfect. These "Second or third" tier ARFs are affordable but will require LOTS of extra patience and attention to detail and maybe some aftermarket hardware when building them, but you are usually rewarded with a good flying plane.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a .40 trainer. Explorer. It is a basic ARF. Packing was also basic. Not all wrapped up like the higher end ARFs. Had built-in wooden engine mounts. I would have had to cut them out to use plastic or metal mounts. The colored part of the covering easily separates from the clear part. I didn't use the gear wires and made a taildragger out of it with other gear. BUT I didn't pay much for it. I feel like I got my money's worth. I put a GMS .75 on it, and it took that much weight to balance it. The fuse appears to be all lite ply. However, it flies great with the straight wing and the 75. More like a Stick type than a trainer.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

optech hit it right on the head. I built his Cap 232 ( Red white and blue one) . A little extra work in certain areas but an overall great flying airplane and the gentleman on the phone was an extremely nice guy. I wouldn't hesitate to do buisness with him again.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Sourkraut

ORIGINAL: ACKopter

Some where around the 100'' wingspan mark.
The one being offered here is 97'' I believe. RC guys have one that is very similar in size but I have decide to find other options based on what I have read of RC guys quality. H-9 has a smaller one (too small) and a larger one(way too expensive) so this seems to be next option.
The RC Guys offering is a Cessna AgWagon not a Pawnee. I bought and asembled one of these 4 years ago, and like mentioned previously, the covering seperates rather easily. If you take great care, then it is not a problem.

The Arf was easy to put together but had the typical chinese Arf short comings. Special attention has to be taken with beefing up the landing gear block and fuel proofing, other than that, pretty straight forward assembly and looks great once completed.

It looks great and flies fantastic...nothing better than doing low mock spray passes over the fields in the summer.

Sold mine 2 years ago...not one of my wiser decisions.[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72785.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1688907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64188.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1688908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77754.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1688909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66232.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1688910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84561.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1688911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62267.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1688912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77246.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1688913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki30196.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1688914  

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
ACKopter

Sorry guys, been out of pocket the last few days and just now saw the new posts.

The price point from TRC is comparable to that of RCGuys but in my reading here I have found numerous complaints about mainly covering issues with the RCGuys models so I decided to stay away from that line.
optech stated that both models(TRC/RCGuys) are built from the same factory which is not good for me especially considering I had been under the impression the models from TRC were built in the same factory as H9, major bummer if optech is indeed correct. As for TWM version, it is bigger so the added cost is most likely justified. With that said, I have a world models skyraider and the covering on that plane is the worst of any arf (8 so far)I have yet to purchase. I'm sure you understand why I'd be a little nervous of going that route.
I can build fairly decent so bad or no instructions should not present too much problems. Covering job for me is extremely important as I simply can not cover, otherwise I would just built a kit from the ground up.
Thanks everyone for the replys and keep them coming if you see anything else to add..
Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Pa-18cub150

Looks like [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ECOMPA25-97AAF.html]Troyboiltmodels 96.4†PA-25 Piper Pawnee[/link] will be in available in January. They have began taking preorders in August.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Give Robert a call at Texas Rc Planes he will give you honest information
about any of his products that he sells, and if anyone has had a problem
with their covering, let him know with a phone call, he wants to know these
things. He prides himself on having his customers 100% satisfied with everything
he sells............No I don't work for him I am just one of those 100% satisfied
customer's that have had problems with one airplane I purchased from him and
he bent way over backwards to make it right.

Here is a thread from last year on this aircraft:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9734363
Bill D.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Airborne models sells the world models Pawnee...

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=3168
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Some pics of it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96723.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1706751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34713.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1706752  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Fatboy08

I purchased the Piper Pawnee from Texax RC Planes about 6 months ago, along with their 35cc MLD engine. I'm very pleased with the quality of the kit. The covering was near perfect, The frame, wings, stab and tail were all straight. I have completed the assembly except for installing the engine. I'm going to have to make some modification to the firewall to get that engine to work so I'm taking my time planning it out. Hindsight, an engine with a side mount carb would probably install easier. This is the only plane I have purchased from Texas RC but please with the quality and price.

Ed
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
G.Barber

Fatboy,

What is your concern regarding the rear mounted carburetor?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

HeyFatboy I have been flying this airplane for a year now it flies great.You must beef up the landing gear mounting ply with hard wood or triangular stock or you will tear out the landing gear on anything less than a perfect landing.If you do that this plane is almost bulitt proof.Good Luck with it.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
scaleman57

Hey Fatboy be sure to beef up thelanding gear mounting ply , you will tear the gear out on any thing less than a perfect landing Use triangle stock or hardwood blocks that will make this plane bullit proof.Mine has been flying for a year It flies great.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Fatboy08

Sorry, I've been out of touch. My concern is cutting a hole in the firewall for the carb.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Fatboy08

Thanks for the info. I felt that I should beef up the landing gear area, and maybe around the firewall area as well. I like to over kill sometimes to be on the safe side...ha.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
scaleman57

I also beefed up my fire wall is simple and gives you piece of mind.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 AM
pettit

ACKopter: Look in the "BUYand SELL" area of this site. My WM Pawnee is available, ready to fly, just bind your TXto it and fly.

You can pick it up at Joe Nall event next week.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I ordered a Red one today, going to try an ASP FT-160 4-Stroke Flat Boxer Twin with straight pipes, (OS Gemini 1.60 Clone). It should fly scale and sound pretty good I hope..!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.