Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flew new Escapade

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flew new Escapade

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew new Escapade

Flew the new escapade today and I have a good OS 46 AX on it. It came in a little tail heavy so I put one of the great planes 2 oz spinner nuts on it and it balanced pretty well (hate having to add weight to any plane). When I fired it off and got airborne I noticed the engine didn't have the "scream" it usually does. I've flown for years but have never used a weighted spinner nut. Do they slow the RPM much? Didn't have the time to tach it....10x5 x6 Bolly prop and 10% Omega
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Flew new Escapade

due to the fact the mass of spinner nut is so close to the prop shaft it will have little effect (very little torque is required to turn it)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
texasclouds

lean her out and she'll scream for you...
Old 12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
DLT

It is running at max rpm....It did better today as the air was much drier...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Spinner nuts don't change the RPM much, especially with a 10" prop on a .46ax. I run 11x6 or 11x7 on most of my .46 engines. My .46ax's turn about 13000 to 14000 rpm with 11x6, 16k with a 10x6. Sounds like you may have run too lean and maybe got the plug too hot. Try a new plug and a click or two richer on the HS.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:34 PM
DLT

Jerry....I run mostly 12x4, 11x5's on my 46's but I have experimented with all sizes and the 12x4's and 11x5's are the best for the flying that I do. I have been runnings 46's for about 22 years and never run them lean. I think what happened the other day was the cold humid air because the next day it was cool ad dry so the engine turned up then. This was my first experience with the heavy spinner and it seems you guys are right...It doesn't change the rpm much at all.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM
texaswarbird

This plane Escapade 40 size is fun. I had it first installed w/ a Magnum 40 XL, which was ok for pattern fly. Since I still have Evolution 45 engine that comes with a P-51 PTS, I put it on the Escapade. This engine streams like a little monster, turning prop 10x7 at 15,500's rpm. My field is rough so 11 sized prop hit the bumpy runway on take off and landing. I have not flown w/ this configuration yet though it promises FAST. If you guys put the battery BELOW the fuel tank then the CG is balanced. By the way, I do not use rechargable battery for the receiver; I use 4 AA battery in a Radio Shack battery tray. This configuration enable me to fly for many times. I flew over 10 flights a day for a whole weekend and the battery indicator still show top greenlight. I love to watch the landing. It sinks nicely and does not drop wing. It touches down on main gear and continues to roll w/ the tail gear still up, everytime. Enjoy yours....and don't forget to do pre-flight checks. Some guy had the elevator torn away in flight in a full speed dive and a spectacular carnage.