Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What plane should I get next?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What plane should I get next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Wrice4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane should I get next?

Hello everyone. Ihad a questions and Iam stuck on something. I have the champ right now and I love it to death. When I decide to get another aircraft, should Igo with a jet or another airplane? I like the speeds of the jets, but enjoy the classic plane look. I would imagine that the planes would be easier to fly. Also, Iam not wanting to spend a lot of money, maybe less thatn $200 (remember I need to get a transmitter and battery and charger since the champ has its own). Can I have your opinions please? Also, I am still sort of a beginner, but just want something bigger and faster.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: What plane should I get next?

Is your champ the Parkzone (0or is it Hobbyzone)one that is often advertised at the top of these forums?
If so, look at their P51 as an alternative.

Take a trip to your LHS and look at what they have, Parkzone, Hobbyzone, E-Flite (and others) all make a lot of options there. Pick what takes your fancy and fly it.

Get yourself a cheap Spektrum or JR radio so you can BindNFly them to that and the purchase of each successive plane wil become cheaper also as they are usually available in RTF or BNF options. Something like a DX6 is usually available pretty cheap nowadays. You only need 4 channels for the small foamies so anything above that is a bonus.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to suggest the P-51 also
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Wrice4

It is the Hobbyzone plane. I live in a smaller city so I do not have a store here that has that kind of thing.

I saw some P-51s like you said and I see they are around $200. Any opinions where I should buy this product? I have read to stay away from bananahobbies and nitroplanes?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
carrellh

I would advise newer pilots to avoid nitroplanes and banana. Too many threads about unresolved issues with products and service.
In the Dallas area we have some decent hobby shops
Mike's Hobby Shop http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com is on I-35E in Carrollton. Mike focuses on cars but he is a pilot and the last time I was there they had a good selection of electric models
Roy's Hobby Shop http://www.royshobby.com (web site was down today) is in Hurst. It's a long drive from where I live in Garland but they have the best selection. 1309 Norwood Drive, Hurst, TX 76053 phone
(817) 268-0210
A-1 in Mesquite http://www.a1rchobby.com is hit or miss from a customer service standpoint but they can pack a lot of stuff into a small store.
Plano RC http://planorc.com has varying selection. I really like the owners.
Wild Bill's Hobby Shop (no web site) 535 E Shady Grove Rd, Irving, TX 75060 phone (972) 438-9224

If you do decide to shop online, a few reliable dealers are
www.towerhobbies.com and their sister company www.omnimodels.com Tower offers a lot of discount codes; Omni always has free shipping at $100 for most items
www.horizonhobby.com
www.hobbypeople.net
www.advantagehobby.com they sell products from multiple distributors
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
aussiesteve

My son and I have had just about every one of the Hobbyzone planes (Including the Champ). PRetty much every one of them flies true to the descriptions on the box. We fly them around the garden and fly the slower ones inside the shed at night. If You wanna have some fun with the champ. have a go at flying it in the dark. Use the Speed controller LED as your "light" but be prepared to crash it if you do try it. E-flite and Parkzone also have a similar range and most of those are reasonable flyers too.

I have purchased most of ours as "BNF" (Bind and fly) which saves a fair bit on the purchase price here. I bind them to my 12X and my 9303 with a 2.4 Conversion (gotta use them for something).

carrellh's post is also the best advice I can give you on where to buy from as I am not familiar with your area at all.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Wrice4

Thanks for all of the tips; however, I was told also that the P-51 should be like my 3rd or 4th plane. What are you comments on that? Someone told me that my next plane should be a slow stick and then I start modding stuff then start moving up, and get a 4ch. Im sorry for the noob questions but I just dont want to get anything that I cant handle and I break it, but at the same time I want something faster and bigger. More aggressive.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM
1 big skeeter
My Feedback: (8)

I have this one:   http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5080

Very stable flyer, easy to see in the air and easy to land, quick assembly, fast battery charge, good ground handling, and easy to do simple aerobatics!

I bought the add receiver and fly since I had one laying around. I use a Spectrum 7 for it and a couple of other foamies I practice with. Use a Hitec Aurora 9 for the 4 gas aircraft I have.

Good luck and Best Regards! 
Old 12-25-2011, 04:44 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though it is a bit more than what you were looking to spend, I would recommend the e- flite Apprentice.

With rates set appropriately it is a really docile flyer, it is tough, parts are available and reasonably priced, and it has good power. Once you have a handle on the basics, it does inverted flight and basic aerobatics better than most high wing planes. It will haul a micro rc skydiver up to jump, and it responds to floats very well.

I got the rtf when I started, not knowing if I'd really ger in to flying. Knowing what I know now, if I were to do it again I'd get the plug and play, a Specktrum computer radio, and Gens Ace 3300 batteries and their 4 bank charger to begin with.

Nothing wrong with the Dx5, for what it is, but it has no model memory or adjustable expo/rates.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Wrice4

So the slow stick is not a good choice? I have gotten pretty good at flying my hobbyzone champ. I put the p-51 motor in it recently and I love it. Im just not looking forward to spending > $100 for just a remote, even though I know i will keep it for a long time. Any other suggestions? I just want something relitively cheap to get. Also, is there another plane I can sync with my champ remote? Should I do that instead or buy somethign else? I want something more aggresive. Thanks for the help.