Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seagull planes

So while looking at certain aircraft I saw a model I may want to pick up for later. The plane is made by Seagull models and I am wondering if anyone knows (good or bad) about this manufacturer? I am interested in thier new Zero they are producing. I am looking for information on the kits they produce and anything about other models they have made.

Thanks

Fox Valley Aero Club AMA 252

SIG LT-40, eFlite T-34 Mentor, GP Big Stik, MCPx, Slash 4x4, Axial SCX10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seagull planes

I've had a few different Seagull planes - the quality of the planes are fine, but the manuals leave a little to be desired. With that said, if you've assembled a couple of ARFs, you can get through the assembly easy enough!
    Ultra Sport Brother #68
    Cub Brother #62
    SIG Brother #100
    Even the smallest good deed is better than the greatest intention.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's great to hear, I was afraid it would be a nightmare and not fly very good. I am looking to buy it for down the road since I am still in the easy fly plane range and have not develpoed my skills for a warbird yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm building my second Seagull plane now and am happy with the Seagull line so far. The build was an AT-6 1.20 size and the current build is a Spacewalker II 1.20 size. I've also NIB for a future build, the 1.20 Decathalon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Price and quality seagull cant be beat.Have the ultramate,yak 54, extra 260. All great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree wholeheartedly. Seagull makes well built and good flying models that are economical to purchase, but a little lacking on in the manual. I've had 3 or 4 of their models and just started their 120 size AT6 which like the others, seems to be very well built. I do intend to add a piece of tri-stock to the top and bottom on the inside of the fire-wall (it all ready has tri-stock down each side) as I'm powering it with a 26cc gas engine, that required removing the rudder servo mount that is flocated orward of the firewall. Hopefully, other than moving the engine mounting bolt hole locations on the firewall, I wont have to do any other modifying. I'm going to try to use the elevator servo mount for the throttle and choke servos, and move the rudder and elevator servos behind the firewall. Mine will get a set of E-Flite electric retracts as well rather than the fixed gear.

I would be interested in knowing what AA5BY used for power on your AT6, where you had to locate your servos, your impression of it's flying characteristics, & anything else you may have encountered as I've found that "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"
    greyfoxx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

double post

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greyfox, I used a Zenoah G-20, which IIRC weighs about 42oz. I moved all servos to the wing bay making two sided servo mounts for the elevators and inverting those servos positioning them to the bottom and aft of wing bay. The rudder servo is forward and upright (looking in the bay) using a servo box cut from the engine bay. The throttle servo is also inverted. I used a manual choke rod that exits the cowl along the side of the fuselage between the fuselage and the cowl. A short 90 deg bend on the end servers as the grasp point.

Other items beside the triangle stock you mentioned are I filled the gap under the wing bolts. After a mishap repair, I put a nyrod jacket through the wing mounting screw locations, cutting the inside out by making a saw by filing teeth on a wing tube section and a multi tool to cut the nyrod to the surface of the wings after masking the area. This combined with using a screw in the center of the middle wing section to lock the tube in place makes mounting the wings much easier. To do that, I simply drilled from the top of the center wing (area that would be inside the wing bay) and then tapped the wing tube for a screw. This worked well for me because I leave the tube in and use it to store the plane.

It flies very good with almost all of the challenge involved with landing. I used the struts, which are angled well forward and would recommend the retracts only for a hard surface or very short smooth grass due to keeping it on its feet. I had one mishap when letting it get too slow on landing... it stalled... dropped a wing.... it caught and cartwheeled. Fortunately the damage was fairly light. I chronicle that repair in the crash forum.

Power wise you will of course be fine with the 26cc. Mine required moving the servos to the wing bay to balance but that might be in part because I wouldn't spend the high dollars on a spinner and chose instead a solid prop nut that weighs nearly 4 oz ( I have a metal lathe). I also added dowels in front of the dummy engine to simulate push rods and they added some forward weight. These were spray painted silver and IMO worth the effort and give the front end a nice look.

The last time it flew, we had little wind and I can still recall thinking about how great it tracked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54219.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1712491  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the 46 size space walker, flew great, I am also eyeing that Zero, it looks like they did a decent job on it!

Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nh4clo4, let me know if you get it and how it goes and flies. I probably won't pick it up till later but maybe doing a build thread on assembly and then document your testflight would be helpful to others when it is in stock if they arre thinking about this zero too. Look forward to hearing about it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've just finished building the seagull 90 size super tucano..

Yeah to be honest its quite solid, not too bad a copy of the original and has lots of nice touches.. but at the same time has some really weird things going on.
    As said before, the manual is more of a reference guide.. I really used it to get measurements and to check I was using the right screws at the right moment... little else.
    In this model the fuel tank is WAY inside the fuselage and impossible to access and wiring the ignition and tank in place was horrible!!
    I also had to go online to find photos of the original plane as it came with NO images to indicate where the stickers should be placed...
    Also it has(had, I went for servo-less retracts) a system where only 1 servo was used for all 3 retracts and you had to disconnect push rods every time you take the wing off.. just seems mental!

BUT its come with dummy external fuel tanks and missiles, pilots and seats etc and looks really solid.
    Mine was even wrongly delivered to another location then re-posted, the box had taken a real beating but the plane was fine!

Maiden on saturday.... looking forward to it! First model with flaps and retracts!
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi, i bought a segull t-6 texan 2 beechcraft arf a couple weeks ago. been working on it. very detailed model. everything is very nice in the kit. retracts have 3/16 struts ,very strong. i like the ease of assembly and everything fits well. the fuel tank was small is my only complaint. it's 10 oz. not near big enough for a saito 100. changed it to a 16 oz. the covering and decal set are real nice. no missing bolts nuts etc....either. very nice hardware with it. thats it. i would buy another one for sure..........RON