Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 T-34. What a pile of crap!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 T-34. What a pile of crap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:15 AM
rcfireman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 T-34. What a pile of crap!

When I first purchased this plane it looked very good. Prior to purchasing it, I opened it up (in the HS) and was very pleased. After I started to assemble it, I realized that buying this was a mistake! I think that this kit must have been assembled on a Friday by some 13 year old kid who was just about to pay off his slave contract!!!!! Absolutely TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! Here is just a short list of the things that I have had to re-engineer:

Holes to mount wing not lined up with fuse.

Elevator and rudder controls hit and bind in rear of plane

Rudder hole to small, was binding up pushrod

Brace for rudder and elevator pushrods were way off, could not use. In fact these were soooo far off, that I had to remove the covering from the bottom of the plane and go ?inside? to remove them.

Had to re-locate the throttle cable to accommodate the Saito 72. As the only throttle pushrod holes were for the .40 2 stroke. What is frustrating is that H9 built this plane for the Saito 72?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I could go on and on about the crap I am having to do just to get this plane to the flight line. If I knew I was going to have to do all this work I would have just purchased the T-34 kit from GP. As far as H9 ARF?s go, this is my first and probably my last. For anyone who has purchased this kit, I hope that you are having better luck then I am?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

That's strange, mine was just great. The pushrods line up quite well with the center guides if you place the rudder servo in the center, the elevator servo on the right (looking fwd) and the throttle servo on the left then let the pushrods cross on the the way aft. Some slight bending is required on the wire extensions, but then most rods have to be cleared when using wood dowells in a narrow tail area.

Drilling a throttle guide hole in the bulkheads is no biggie and gave a straight shot to the Saito .72 linkage after flipping the needle valve over to the opposite side from the exhaust. (a good idea to prevent burnt fingers anyway) Also swap the steering arm over to the right side of the nose retract if you use them so the linkage fits the other side of the rudder servo arm.

Blank the 2-stroke muffler openning and box in the nose gear retract area with light balsa to keep the oil and goop out of the interior and add some additional epoxy or bracing from inside the firewall just in case the assembler had a bad day... Reshrink the covering, add some fake flap lines to the wing and mount a Saito .72 with a three-bladed prop. You end up with a very nice T-34.

Lets face it, if you want an instant out of the box, four hour assembly T-34, go get a World Models plane. If you want to build a kit go with GP or better yet build from scratch. The H9 ARF is like their P-51, a nice plane that with a few tweaks looks and flies better than than most ARFs. - But remember that an ARF is a compromise between perfect scale and easy assembly, some take more' assembly' than others to get a better scale look.

You pays your money and take your choice. For me, I love the final product.

quint
Old 08-27-2003, 12:07 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting to see the two completely different perceptions on this plane. I wonder what others have to say, since I was considering getting one.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:12 PM
LenLee

I think my experience with this ARF falls somewhere between the previous two posts.
- I also had problems with the exit hole for the rudder linkage and had to do some bending of the rod extension and also had to enlarge the exit hole a little. I've never used wooden dowels before on any of my previous planes, so maybe if I'd had more experience it wouldn't have required as much time to figure out. I also noticed that the wooden dowel for the rudder would hang up on one of the fuse formers before I bent the exit rod.(not a good thing)
- I had decided to use this ARF as my first attempt at installing mechanical retracts. I found that it took quite a bit of time to get everything lined up and "tweaked" before they worked to my satisfaction, but I also attributed some of this to my lack of experience.
- I installed an OS 46FX I had available and it went in just fine. I didn't like the engine mount they supplied (although I think it would have worked okay) so I used an adjustable GP mount I had on hand instead.
- The wing holes on mine were lined up okay, but I did notice that the wing isn't balanced very well. I'm hoping that since the muffler is on the opposite side, it will counteract this and make the plane balance out laterally, but I'll re-check it later.
- I'd say there are some places that could be improved, mainly the instructions and some of the hardware quality, but otherwise it's about what I expected.

Len
Old 08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default T-34

I also am building my Hangar 9 T-34.
Mine has been going exceptionally well. I searched out "better" quality retracts, and I finally ended up with the recomended set by Hanger 28.00 dollars. They fit like a glove (not the OJ glove either). I also did not like the aileron servo hanging out so I bought some servo covers and they now sit inside the wing.
I think that this is one of the better quality ARF's on the market.
As for not fitting your personal Saito 72 TOO bad. get yourself a drill and be over it!
If this is such a bad kit give it away to some less fortunate modelers. I would recommend this kit to novice builders as well as experienced builders.
Greg
Old 08-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems the better ARF's get the more people complain when they have to do anything beyond opening the box.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
av8r4aa

Default arf

I want to design a arf that all you have to do is :

1. buy it
2. take it home
3. shake the box a few times
4. open the lid and presto A plane to take to scale masters
5. All for under 200 dollars
6. send in a thread about , I just dont like to shake the box so much
HA HA
Old 08-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

It's great that we've come to expect perfection and most of the time, we get it.

Yak
Old 08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
LenLee

To me, a lot of the fun in building a kit or assembling an ARF is looking for ways to improve it's construction, and at the same time improve my own building skills. In my earlier post, I tried to point out the fact that a few of the construction methods that were involved, as well as the use of mechanical retracts, were new to me, so the manufacturer shouldn't be held accountable. I felt that sharing my experiences would help others who might be planning to buy this ARF decide if it's something they'd really feel ready to do. Like I said in my earlier reply, this ARF was about what I expected. (not perfect, but not a piece of crap either)

Good Luck...Len
Old 08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Default Lemon ARF

As you all know, ARFs are made in third world countries by people of all ages. For H9, I noticed that every now and then, some one will end up with a product that should have been rejected at the QC department. I have built over 20 ARFs over the years from all walks of life. A way to detect these lemons are to inspect the parts carefully OUTSIDE their plastic wraps. I usually check for seam lines where they overlap. Uneven or zagged lines indicated the worker did not take the time and should be avoided. Sorry about your lime. Dai Phan
Old 08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
rcfireman

My point to this post was that it seems that this particular ARF is requiring more work than what it should! I understand that ALL ARF's require some work, but this one seemed a little excessive? ARF's are manufactured to get you into the air at an accelerated pace over kit building. NOT to sit on the workbench to be re-worked. I for one would like to fly this plane NOT re-work it!!!

I don't mind mounting the engine, installing radio gear and so on. I understand that's part of an ARF. When I have to start removing the covering to go "inside" along with the other things that I am having to do, I would just as soon build a kit.

As for not fitting your personal Saito 72 TOO bad. get yourself a drill and be over it! If this is such a bad kit give it away to some less fortunate modelers.
Av8r4aa, no need to be so obnoxious!!!!!! I am simple making my opinion know. I have NOT insulted you in any way have I ;or anyone else for that matter? So, please refrain from your rude comments.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:08 AM
av8r4aa

Default T-34

Well I did get a little overboard there. I am sorry if I offended you.
I also like to assemble arf planes. I just looked at all the engineering on this kit and assumed that it all worked and fit properly.

I am having a good time fitting everything and for for me (one who likes to reengineer everything) have not found much that I would re do.
Again I am sorry if I offended you or any other RCU readers
Greg
Old 08-28-2003, 02:28 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arfs have brought to the masses the ability to fly aircraft they would never attempt or have the capability to build. For me, I have absolutely no time to build, I even have to have someone put the ARFs together for me. The quality and selection and price value of the newer arfs is fantastic compared to even five years ago when EZ was the ultimate. Now a good 80% of my airfleet are arfs. I love a good scale or standoff scale kit and own many of those, but whether I will ever find time to build them is an unknown. All ARFS are not created equal, examine them carefully.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:07 AM
rcfireman

av8r4aa,

No problem and apology accepted. It just sounded like you were ripping me a new one for simply stating my opinion. I have seen many boards where a guy gets beat down just for doing as I have done. A bulletin board becomes useless if that happens.

Anyway, if you ever come to Tulsa (w/planes) contact me. It would be my pleasure to have you as my guest at Fitzgerald Field, home of the American Turf Flyers. If you bring the T-34 maybe we could do some formation flying?

www.americanturfflyers.com
Old 08-28-2003, 05:15 AM
rcfireman

av8r4aa,

No problem and apology accepted. It just sounded like you were ripping me a new one for simply stating my opinion. I have seen many boards where a guy gets beat down just for doing as I have done. A bulletin board becomes useless if that happens.

Anyway, if you ever come to Tulsa (w/planes) contact me. It would be my pleasure to have you as my guest at Fitzgerald Field, home of the American Turf Flyers. If you bring the T-34 maybe we could do some formation flying?

www.americanturfflyers.com
Old 08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

RCFireman,
Have you built from a kit before? Just curious because of the statement you made about ARF's cutting down on building time. It seems if you asked here first you might have picked up some time saving tips like the one about turning the carb lever around.

If the plane was a lemon that's one thing but if it is just taking longer than you expected, that's life. How long should it take to assemble an ARF?

If you like the way it flies you'll soon forget how long it took to build and enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:49 PM
rcfireman

Yes I have built a couple of kits before. Recently I have gone with ARFs. My first ARF was the SIG Something Extra, which went together flawlessly!!!! I think that the Sig SE is one of the best ARFs out. I also purchased a Sig Kadet Senior ARF for my daughters. There were just a couple of minor problems with it, but not near as many as the T-34.

After having such good luck with the two SIG kits, I guess I thought all ARFs would be that good? At least the H9 stuff that I have heard so many people talk so highly about. And yes, if I had asked some questions prior to starting this ARF, I may have saved a little time. I am hoping that the plane flies very well, so as you pointed out, all the bad memories will be forgotten.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

To say that a specific ARF is "one of the best out there" requires that you've put quite a few together to have merit.

I'm closing on well over 40 ARF's in the last 2 years and have had a couple H9 ARFs: an UltraStick 60 and a Funtana... both of which were very nice out of the box.

But just because I did TWO ARF's from H9 doen't give me enough "experience" to say they are GREAT or they are POOR...

I can only say the 2 I got were very nice, and I look forward to building more.

Tempered with the VAST amount of praises for H9 ARF's by others I'd have to say they have a good reputation.

Sorry about your bad experience... I wouldn't write them off on one experience tho... adn I would have probably contacted them about the problem.

One lst thing... about the throttle cable exit in the firewall... tho they "try" and sell the Saito .72, they also know that A LOT of people are on a tight budget and WILL put a 40 size 2-strroke in it... So they provide for what they think will be the majority.

Drilling a hole in the firewall is COMMON practice for lots of ARF's especially when using a 4 stroke over a 2...

Jut don't be so harsh on H9... they've put out a lot of good stuff...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:11 PM
quint-rcu

Just a follow-up to my original reply (post #2).
  • Routed the Rx antenna inside the fuse and let the excess trail out the tail-cone
  • Had to get a fuel tank from the local dealer since some (mine was one) of the earlier ARFs shipped without it and the 6-32 mount hardware. - Very excellent service had it to me in two days.
  • Wish I had though of hiding the aileron servos (good idea Greg [av8r4aa]), they could have gone in sideways with only the arm sticking out
Been in the hobby for 53 years and gone through scratch building to ARFs. - They get better and better don't they? Still scratch build scale, but fun fly the ARFs

quint

P.S. It's good when we can air views without flaming, and seeing somebody actually say 'sorry' - very classy...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:56 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ARFs, like O'Sullivan furniture, will have some challenges with them. That is why they are still kits. Not all the holes will line up.I just finished a Tower Kaos, and in most posts here, was deemed a POS. Well, I had to tweak some things and replace an aileron, but overall, for the money I paid, was a great kit.

I now have a H9 T34 staring at me, again, I see some building flaws and some technical challenges ahead. But again, for $160.00 bucks, a pretty good quality kit.

The Sig SE. for the price, should be a better quality kit, since there are equal fun flyers on the market for 1/2 the price.

ARFs, especially semi sport scale warbirds, will need some mechanical inclined abilities to assemble. They cannot be perfect.

Scott
Old 09-02-2003, 12:19 PM
a68fan

Default Spinner/ prop.

Gettin' my T-34 together.. Only complaint I have is missing hardware, and screws breaking off when you try to tighten 'em..

A question: I'm installing a Saito .72GK and want to use a 3 blade prop, & alum. spinner.. What size/ pitch prop, & what size spinner? Is a 2 1/4" too small? According to what I've seen, it is..

I ask this question here to get a practical experience answer...

Thanks!!!

Allen
Old 09-03-2003, 02:47 AM
av8r4aa

Default prop

I would try a 12/6 3 blade from Master Airchew
Old 09-03-2003, 03:07 PM
LenLee

Finally got a chance to fly the T-34 for the first time yesterday. Since we'd had over 4 inches of rain at our airfield last weekend, our grass strip was taller than usual. This meant I had to use a lot of power just to taxi out to the runway. I slowly advanced the throttle and began my take-off roll. (or tried too) Because the grass was so tall, I had to use full throttle to get up enough ground speed. It took most of the runway to lift off! Climb out was a still steeper than I wanted, but I was able to keep the nose down enough to keep from stalling. After trimming the elevator up a few clicks and some right rudder, she tracked and flew very nicely! The OS46FX seemed to be enough power for scale flying and most of manuevers that my limited experience allows. I'd had to make a few adjustments on the retracts to get them to lock down, so I was a little apprehensive during the first landing. The wheels retracted and came back down okay, so I set up for my landing. The T-34 seemed very easy to land, although I probably came in a little hotter than necessary. It didn't seem to have any bad stall tendencies though, and I was able to land with the nose slightly up with no problems. All in all, I'd say it was worth the challenges to get everything set up, and I'm looking forward to getting her back out again this weekend...:thumbup:

Len
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM
quint-rcu

Alas, there is no perfect match 3-blade for the Saito .7 (are you listening MA and APC?). The MA 12x6 is under-propped for the .72 Saito and I had to limit the RPMs to 9,000 with throttle travel or have my engine rev to 11,000+ on the ground. Wrote an e-mail to MA and they quickly replied that they seem to have a gap in their 3-blade series " ...and hope to remedy that..." Until then, I'll run the 12x6 and watch a neat plane fly and fly since it gives plenty of power.

Still wish I could couple all that engine to a 3-blade prop that doesn't weigh a ton.

quint
Old 09-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard--Nice field!!! This used to be one of my favorite stops when you guys put on the jet rallies. How is Kent Landefeld doing??? If you know of a way to contact him I would really appreciate it! He and I go waaaaaay back----Contact me through a PM or E-mail.

Thanks, Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.