Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Texas R/C Planes Drastick .60 Size

Hey, Thanks SpinnerRow . Yea the Rudder and Elevator seem a bit light. Maybe I'll go ahead and sheet those now? The push rod layout seems to be somewhat different for the new model? The elevator pushrods are joined for a one piece but they are a straight shot out of the main frame. The rudder lay out seems ok too?
    I have run into a lot of build issue, parts don.t fit, screws wrong size, landing gear control rod for front nose wheel etc.
    What is this covering?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mjraines1

Hey, Thanks SpinnerRow . Yea the Rudder and Elevator seem a bit light. Maybe I'll go ahead and sheet those now? The push rod layout seems to be somewhat different for the new model? The elevator pushrods are joined for a one piece but they are a straight shot out of the main frame. The rudder lay out seems ok too?
    I have run into a lot of build issue, parts don.t fit, screws wrong size, landing gear control rod for front nose wheel etc.
    What is this covering?
    Covering may be Toughlon which is low heat chinese crap. One hit with a high heat iron and it delaminates. There's a reason that plane is soo cheap!

I have quit flying mine and amazingly it is still in one piece (barely) and am now flying a DLE 30 powered 80" stick. I didn't use the landing gear. I made my own and it is quite a bit taller for the 17" prop that I had on the front of it. I heavily reenforced the nose area to take the stress of the hopped up DLE 20 and never had a problem with it but the rudder fell apart twice and I had to fix the elevator in some shape form or fashion every time I took it out.

Again, it is a fun plane but there is better made planes out there without a doubt.
    \"Hey!!! That tree was NOT there when I took off!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What was the build on the 80" Stick?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a Texas RC 65in. trainer with a GMS .75 on it. Really fast and fun. You are right. The covering is crap. It comes apart on its own, but the plane was only $69. Can't complain too much. Got what I paid for. It also had a semi-symetrical airfoil and flew more like a .60 stik. Good plane for the money but not the top of the line in quality.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought this because I loved my ultra stik and they no longer make it and I was hoping to use this.
    It flies okay. The quality is slightly below average but understandable because it costs half what the ultra stik did.
    The point is I will pay anything for a plane I love and a plane I don't love is not a bargain at any price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you recover? Any other issues?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What was the build on the 80'' Stick?
    My new stick is a copy of an old DAS Stick from the 70s that was blown up and laser cut. I didn't build it but it had never been flown when I bought it. All it was was an airframe and I had to cover it and add the landing gear and tailwheel and all of the other normal stuff. It has enlarged control surfaces and a much bigger rudder. Custom landing gear (my Home Depot flat bar of aluminum jobby that I usually do) with a DLE 30 on it. It probably weighs 11-12lbs or so and the DLE 30 yanks it around like a rag doll. It has flaps and I have the radio programed to switch between full span ailerons or flaps/ailerons with the flip of a switch. With full flaps I can drag the tail wheel on the landing and set it down baby smooth. Doesn't flat spin that well yet but I've only got five flights on it. Once I play with the CG a bit more and and add some more throw on the surfaces, it'll be a nice one.

I too loved the 60 sized Ultra Stick and really hated to see them discontinue it. I looked high and low for one but could not find one anywhere.

Did you recover? Any other issues?
    I had to recover most of the back end of mine due to fixing the rudder and elevator so much.

My new one I'm flying now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12314.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	1878309  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a cool looking piece. I order the Drastik as I could not find anything else to buuld? I don't really like the GP Big Stick. I have a 40 kit I built, It is well built and flys great. I made a lot of changes. I could still order the GP 60 kit, but I am tired of building after 50 years. Are there any other Stick type planes available?
    I guess for now I will just modify and build up the Draystick until something new comes along.
    Yea the Ultra Stick was a nice piece. I would really like to see one of these in a 60 size with flaps etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are there any other Stick type planes available?
    As far as ARF is concerned, not really - other than the GP planes.

AMR RC out of Canada has kits in 30cc, 50cc, 100cc and 150cc versions and they are supposedly easy to build and great fliers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Horizon still has the Ultra Stick 40.

Richmondrc.com has the Xtreme Stick for $89.95
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a H9 Ultra Stick 60 NIB, $200 plus actual cost of shipping, please PM me if interested.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fheppenheimer

I have a H9 Ultra Stick 60 NIB, $200 plus actual cost of shipping, please PM me if interested.
    That would be a nice plane with a DLE 20 on it - and a pipe!

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Horizon still has the Ultra Stick 40.

Richmondrc.com has the Xtreme Stick for $89.95
    I had a H9 Ultra Stick 40 (the red/white/black one) and it is a good flying plane. Mine had an Evolution 60NX (.40 sized .60) on it with a tuned pipe. 15,100RPM with an APC 12x5 - yanked the firewall off of it - twice. Fortunately the tuned pipe helped keep the motor on the front of the plane so that I could land it. After I figured out how to keep the firewall on it, I flew it for another year and then sold it. Get the CG right on that plane and the flat spins are sick!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If Ed Moorman doesn't want the 60 size Ultra Stick I sure do .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Value Hobby has a 65in. Stik for $88 plus shipping. Old style round vert. stab. I have a GMS .75 on mine. Has a 2 piece fuse. You have to glue the back half of the fuse to the front half. Not as hard as it sounds. Stock gear is stout. Great flyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12