Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gee Bee R3 30cc

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gee Bee R3 30cc

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gee Bee R3 30cc

O BTW I'm using the goteck 5515's from GMP and the only Issue I've had was the rubber gromments.
I've had them a year now and they center really well.
I'm using them on my 30cc MX and they really throw that rudder and elev around.
As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to buy another set.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

So today the UPS truck pulls up and the angels started singing. aaaahhhhhhhhhhh
He had my new 3W 55XI CS motor with all the trimings. New prop, prop adapter, canister, canister mount, and ingnition.

HrRCFlyer hit the nail on the head when he suggested the 3W motor. This thing is a monster in a box.

Gerhard at Aircraft International was a huge help getting this to me in a flash. I ordered it on Thursday and it was here on Monday. www.aircraftinternational.com I think I luv him (sob)

Gerry at GMP sent over 5 new GS 5515 MG metal gear servos to motivate this beast.Should have them this week. Gerry, you DA man.

All we need is an airframe and we are off to the races.

This will be the GMP Gee Bee R3 (anything goes hold on to yo butt crazy white boy ain't never seen the likes of this)
professional series build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13760.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1735576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79393.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1735577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58402.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1735578  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Condor060,

I'm glad you like the motor. I was sure you would once you got your hands on one. One question though, why did you get a side intake motor? With that configuration, you may need a velocity stack on the carb and a hole in the side of the cowl for air flow. If I may suggest, ask Gerthardt about it......

You are absolutely right about Gerhardt. He is a great person to deal with. There is allot to say for people like Gerhardt and Gerry who go out of their way to help their customers. This is why I will never buy a DLE or any other DA clone for any plane of mine. It is also why I will be calling Gerry for my next airplane when funds become available...... I love the 50cc Red Bull Pitts M12 he has, but knowing my luck his current sale will be over by the time I have the money...........[&o]

How long is it supposed to be until you get your plane ? ? ? ?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Condor060

I went with the side draft carb because the other model would require me to cut too much of the firewall. The 3W CS motors have such a long intake I wasn't sure if that would work. Gerhard was nice enough to allow me to see if this would work better and swop him for the other if it doesn't work out. I just can't mount it or put any fuel in it until I am sure I am going to keep it.

I have had a lot of time mounting over sized motors to wood box firewalls and would much rather keep the structual integrity of the box if I can. With this much power on the 30cc airframe I am going to need all I can get.

The side draft carb was a cool find and I think the Gee Bee cowl with have enought room to work with. It would be cool to see a chrome velocity stack sticking out the side of the cowling though. Mo Pwr.

Gerry and Gerhard are on there game when it comes to customer service. I don't care what kind of problems I my have as long as I have guys like this to help. Makes all the difference in the world to me.

I expect to see the airframe later this week. Maybe Thursday. ITSJUSTKILLINME SITTINGHEREWAITING.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Condor060

I received the plane today in perfect condition. Since we will be installing the 3W 55 CS I decided to fiberglass the firewall and engine box with 2 oz cloth just to give us a little bit more strength and fuel proofing.
As you can see from the pictures, the canister for the engine fits like it was made for this kit. I would have never believed it until I saw if for myself. I can’t believe this is a 30cc size airplane. The cowling swallows up the 3W with no problem.
The hardware kit is first class. Tomorrow we will install the engine, servos, and flight surfaces. Gerry got us the new servos for the Gee Bee and they should be squeaking by tomorrow night.
This is a big plane. The ONLY thing about the kit that I don’t like is the size of the hinges. They would be fine for a 30cc setup but we are going to bring them up a size for our build.

Name:	Qo40942.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1736930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27791.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1736931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95747.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1736932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97965.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1736933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59153.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1736934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk77174.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1736935  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
ultra6a
My Feedback: (27)

Great conversation with you earlier today about this plane. Hope you enjoy your build as much as I did.
Keep us posted as I want to see the maiden flight.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Condor060

Hey Henry, You know I gonna call ya. If I get enough done tomorrow we will have torun that engine Sunday afternoon. Tonight I going to beef up the spots I think need some extra fiberglass so we can roll on this thing allweekend. If your up our way stop by.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Condor060,

I'm glad to see you got your new baby. You are right about the size. It is pretty big for a 30cc bird. Keep up the good work putting it together. I cannot wait to see the maiden.....

David
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Condor060

I have finished building the aircraft. Here are a few things I found.
1. Horizontal stab was only screwed on to the frame according to the kit. We removed the coating to get to the wood on the fuselage and epoxied both stabs along with the aluminum tube inside.
2. Engine mounting is finished with throttle and choke servos and ignition.
3. Rudder and elevator is mounted with servos and pull pull cables.
4. Canopy deck doesn’t look the way we want it too so we have repainted the gloss black to extend it another 7 inches towards the nose. Looks much better.
5. Decals are in place but we are making more. I think some good racing sponsor decals would look good on this ship.
Left to do.
Canopy will be tinted.
Wheel pants are being built up with carbon fiber on the inside. We are also building our own oleo struts out of some 50 size aircraft retracts. Haven’t quite figured this out yet but we are getting close. Will have pics of that progress later,
We have removed the wire inside the wheel pants and will at least replace it with 3/16 steel at the very least. The wheels on the model are half the size they need to be and there is plenty of room to fix this. Also, we will have the axle lined up with the bottom of the wheel pant to give us half the wheel outside.

Name:	Ro41666.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1737808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28515.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1737809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt45993.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1737810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65038.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1737811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57204.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1737812  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

The wire for tail wheel is to far back.... Need to bring the slider up... If you turn the rudder it will come out.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Condor060

I thought so too but I checked it. The photo doesn't really give you the right lenght.

I just finished carbon fibering the inside ofboth wheel pants. Man, what a job. Its 5am, I'm going to bed. Later
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
hrrcflyer

OMG ! ! ! Condor060,

That prop looks HUGE on that plane.............LOL
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Condor060

Yeah, its a 22x12
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Condor060

Now that I have a lot of the plane completed I see that I need a few more mods. The Control horns that came with this kit are soft. I found one of them bent on the elevator. On closer inspection I found they were so thin that you could bend them between two fingers. I need to contact Gerry and get the good stuff.

I repainted the canopy deck black paint to 200mm longer. I just thought it looked better.

The canister exhaust just isn't in the cards for the 3W 55. The only one that will fit (of three available) is touching the wing tube. Going to switch this out for a Pitts muffler.

I have comleted the carbon fiber on the inside of the wheel pants. I am still scratching my head on this one. I thought about making new wire gear sets but I might just bend some 3/16 wire to match and braise it to the existing wire. I also thought about (after beefing up the gear strut) follow up with some expandable foam inside the wheel pant tube portion to secure the wire strut better.Anyone have any input here. I thought it might dampen the wire movement.

But then again, it could just explode from the foam expanding and I wind up picking plastic and fiberglass anti-personnel shrapnel out of my face. How we gonna do this boys????

Name:	Sq46128.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1738031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70655.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1738032  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
lou1947

Nice job on your plane. I bought my Gee BEE R3 fron Giant Models and I am very happy with the airplane except that I could have bought the same plane from HobbyKing for about $140.00 less. (except for no carbon fiber spinner or wing tubes). The design of the plane is awesome and it took many hours of design,however the landing gear design must have taken about 30 minutes.The wheel pants will break and crack on the first or second flight. I know that wheel pants are always prone to stress cracks but the design of this landing gear and the thinness of the fiberglass is ridiculous.T make things worse Giant Models does not have replacement wheel pants in stock. Keep us posted about how your wheel pants hold up.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
gjhinshaw

Everyone,
We have them on order... I know, I know, you hear that ALL the time. I am tring to get things in as fast as I can. I would like to explain some things. GMP is only me. No one else.... GMP has no financial backing. EVERYTHING comes out of my pocket. I have tried and tried to get help with this With NO luck! I have put every last dime into it and have done a OK job for the first year. We thought we had a invester, This was Matio from SE Engines. I flew to Florida and everything went very well. He told me to order a container and send the order to him. I did that, and it was a 40 footer at a cost of 80,000USD. Well he said that was to much so I lowered it for him. My terms were 40% of GMP and 6% interest on his money. Well he sent me a little contract and I re-did it. Thats when it ALL went south!!! I wanted to be fare about all of it, BUT he wanted ALL his money back PLUS the intrest BEFORE GMP took anything. WELL HELL I WOULD DO THAT!!! THERE'S NO RISK!!!! Plus he wanted a weekly check. SO, saying this... I am still looking for someone to help us... We have MANY NEW planes sitting in China on the container. SORRY, But there will be NO NEW Container here before Toledo. We will have some stuff, but NO NEW Stuff...... I can give you a list of new planes, and MANY are spoken for but I feel really bad about taking money for a container that is not coming until I pay it off. What do I owe????? 50,000USD still. I am Sorry guys/women of the hobby!!!!! I will be posting some of the new stuff on the page, and you may notice that EVERY Plane is on Sale...... I have to move them to pay for this container!! So Toledo will be a DISCOUNTED PARTY AT THE GMP BOOTH!!!!!! I am SORRY!! But again its only one person, ME!
Gerry Hinshaw
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
bigwes1962
My Feedback: (1)

i have a 30cc with a dle 55 ready to go.it will maiden this week.i used 3/16 wire to reinforce the landing gear fom the axle to the back of the front bulkhead. made a bracket that bolts to rear of bulkhead.now the gear has no flex. you can slide the plane sideways iwith no flex
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
ultra6a

Looking good. I like all the mods you have made to the plane. Like others I have experienced the same issues with the wheel pants. Could not fly the plane Sunday because of issues with them
Hopefully I will be able to get a new set soon.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
gjhinshaw

Guys, I will contact Robart about the 30cc Oleo Struts
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
ultra6a

ORIGINAL: bigwes1962

i have a 30cc with a dle 55 ready to go.it will maiden this week.i used 3/16 wire to reinforce the landing gear fom the axle to the back of the front bulkhead. made a bracket that bolts to rear of bulkhead.now the gear has no flex. you can slide the plane sideways iwith no flex
Can you post a pic of your gear mod? I looking for a way to strengthen mine.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM
ultra6a

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Condor060

Hang in there Gerry, were all with ya. People sometimes don't understand how tuff it can be out there. Give me a call. I might have someone that can help.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
bigwes1962
My Feedback: (1)

3/16 steel wire....u shaped bracket slipped over avle and held with wheel collar. wire welded to this and goes up to bracket that is bolted through back of front bulkhead and sticks through the bottom of plane. flat bracket is welded to top of wire with hole to bolt it to bracket sticking out of the bottom. took about two hours and really stiffened up the gear. wheel pants were reinforced with epoxy and cotton flock around the top edge all the way around. now no dead air space inbetween the wing and pants. cottonflock and epoxy is ten times stronger than epoxy alone and stays where you put it and does not run all over
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Condor060

MYHOBBYKINGRANT ONTHEGEEBEER3.

As far as Hobby King VS GMP. Honestly, HK sucks. Gerry didn't have another 30cc R3 but he knew the HK model was the same build. I started this build thread with the intention of making this a GMP model. Let me give you some differences up front.
The HK hardware is junk. The first time I tried to tighten the wire for the pull pull rudder it broke in my hands while I was pulling to take the slack out before I crimped it. The control horns bent over sideways when I installed my receiver and started using the elevator. The cowling had a huge dent in the center of the bottom and the fiberglass on the cowl and wheel pants are so thin I don't think it would last a flight or two. The wing tube for the aluminum spar will crush in your fingers with very little pressure.
I tried to go through the proper channels with HK by submitting a ticket through their tech support. One was on the 4th of March and the other on the 8th. I have not heard from anyone. I contacted their live support and got nothing but the run around. All they would do was submit my question to their warehouse or support and have no answers on ANY question I posed.
HK proudly brags on how they won't be undercut on pricing and offer a refund within 48 hours if you find an advertised price less than theirs. I submitted a ticket on this via their price guarantee link with Gerry’s website showing an advertised price of 229. That was two weeks ago and they won't even return my e-mails or ticket support.
On the other hand, Gerry has come to the table and upgraded the hardware, cowling, wheel pants, carbon fiber spinner (which no spinner is included with HK) wing tube, and tail wheel. On top of that, he stays active on the boards as well as on the phone. He has supported helping us (Condor) bring a new build and flight video and build thread with his upgraded parts and also come to the table with a new line of servos. I can tell you from years and years of experience in this industry that the extra $140 bucks you spend with GMP will long be forgotten when you don't have to fix all the problems that come with the HK model (ALL UNSUPPORTED BY HOBBY KING) not to mention that all this extra stuff cost money. I doubt you could upgrade a HK Gee Bee for that much. A decent spinner cost more than that.
Anyway, this is my point. The first time I ever spoke with Gerry was about two weeks ago. I like the guy because he came across as someone who was willing to bring in a lot of new kits as well as technology. Something very hard to find in this industry. I have been working on bringing in the new Flying Machine now for 8 months. If you don't know what it is go to www.IWantMyFM.com to check it out.
I am so glad GMP has come to the table to support these very cool kits and I for one am more than willing to pay a bit extra to get it right the first time and have a company I can contact than what I have now. I am not bashing anyone here; this is just my 2 cents worth. I wish my Gee Bee was the GMP kit. I wouldn't be up till 5am fiber glassing parts or having to replace all of the installed hardware.
Aaaahhhh, I feel so much better now.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Condor060

Hey Bugwes, Us boys south of the Mason dixon line are what you might call visual in necessity. Can you give us a drawing or a picture. We would all love to see this. IF it works like your does it would solve a lot of problems brother.

GIVEUSWHATWENEED, please sir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.