Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Plane suggestion please? Read More>>>>

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Plane suggestion please? Read More>>>>

Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Traxxas_Man_KY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane suggestion please? Read More>>>>

Hello.....I would like a plane that a has alot of performance, that will allow me to grow into it. I like the sport planes, and 3D type. It needs to be friendly, mild at first....but as I get better I can have some real fun. I will be with a trainer, so he won't let me solo with it until i'm ready. The main reason I want to go ahead and get one ready is I have the money now, if I don't now, the wife will spend it....lol. I LOVE the Extra 300.....but i'm open to suggestions, you guys know way more than me about all of this. I think I would like to try my first gas motor unless you guys think otherwise....maybe a DLE 30cc.....so i'm looking at a 78" wingspan or so. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Steve
Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Plane suggestion please? Read More>>>>

What are you flying now? If nothing yet, you need a trainer plane. Then a 'low-wing' trainer plane.

I GUARANTEE you will spend A LOT more money on this hobby if you try to go too big, too fast. BELIEVE ME, this is exactly the advice that I have REFUSED to listen to, and it has cost me a small FORTUNE!

You will have so much more fun if you follow the path that has been recommended by the guys who tried it all.

If you want something sporty to start with, get the Avistar.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Get your dream plane, now while you have the means. Put it in your closet untill you learn to fly a trainer well, then put it together and enjoy.

There are two ways to learn to fly: learn by doing it right, or learn by doing it wrong. Eventually, you run out of wrong things to do (if you are a fast learner), but it can get expensive.

Enjoy!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 AM
ameyam

If you are past the trainer, get yourself a 3D airplane such as the Reactor 46, Showtime 50 etc. Then set it to low throws and fly it as if it were a trainer. Then as you get more comfortable, increase the throws and go aerobatic or 3d, whatever you like. Some airplanes like the UCD are more 3D and cant be flown much sports like (i.e. you cant fly them fast or you will flutter the control surfaces and lose the airplane and more). Best to get a hybrid type

Ameyam
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If you're looking for a 30CC gasser try www.redaerorc.com or www.chiefaircraft.com
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmm..... All good suggestions with what little information you provided....

There is no "perfect" model, why do you think you see guys with so many different ones? lol

If you've not actually started flying then a trainer is in order first, no question. I'll differ with some of the other guys in that I do not think the old tricycle gear high wing is the way to go anymore. I'd look at the Hangar 9 Mustang PTS since it's a low wing taildragger which most of your subsequent models will also be, so why learn a high wing with tricycle gear and then learn a low wing taildragger before getting into the kind of higher performance aerobat you seem to want?

The PTS has several features designed to make it user friendly for the newbie which can be changed/removed as you learn like fixed flaps and drooped outer leading edges, some and I'm not sure if it's the ARF or the RTF can actually have retracts installed.

Once you get used to that then a bigger model with a small gasser may be the way to go in stepping up and there are lots of choices in the 30cc range now that were not available even a few years ago. While these models are not hard to fly, they'll eat a beginner's lunch in a heartbeat.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

I would suggest going with a high or mid wing plane that can be more trainer like at the onset and then can also handle aerobatics as you progress. A forgiving low winger could do the same for you. For high wings, something like the Decathlon can handle like a trainer in the air, but do any trick later. I toss around my Toledo Special like my low wingers, but I think a student could learn on it well at lower speeds. That is too small for a DLE-30 if you really want that engine though. Your idea for the Extra 300 could work ,but I think would be too challenging for a 1st or 2nd plane. I think there is a large Pulse that could work for you...it's a pretty low winger. A large Stick would also be a good plane. Good luck on your endeavors! Jon
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM
hobbychina2010

If you need 3D Plane model and 30cc engine,maybe you can find them from http://store.hobby-china.com

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want a good 3D plane ...AFTER.....you learn to fly well, then go with the RedwingRC MXS-R.

Learn to fly first.....

These planes will sit in a box for a very long time, they will not last that long out of the box if you can't handle them, even with an instructor.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
kerwin50

I got my MX from GMP with a dle 30, she is a very easy plane to fly.
http://www.giantmodelproducts.com/in...0344286b2f3676
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM
kerwin50

Of course after your trainer get a flat foamie for 3D training or this little plane. she is a real 3d trainer http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/41-Edge-5...e_p_14908.html and just let your big bird sit.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
outdoorhunting

You might want to try a H9 Twist 40 ( set on low throws.) It can be"wild" with the throws set at the limits. good Luck !
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a ucando could be used as a trainer if throws set low. Its the easiest plane I have flown to take off and land.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
kerwin50

O yes lets not forget the twist. Mine is the 40 size with an OS 61 fx. I've owned mine since 2007 and it is my daily flyer. it just laughs at the wind.
She will teach a person bad habits though as this plane just does not like to stall. It is very easy to land and has a very large following.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The Mustang PTS is a horrible 'trainer' - total gimmick, half the instructors who try to help guys with it can't fly it themselves. Stay away from the PTS kits - all of them.

The Avistar is a very fun high-wing trainer; it has a shorter wing so it is fairly maneuverable.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
ameyam

If its a trainer you want that you could throw around in the air, you should go for a high wing with semi-symmetrical wing (not the flat bottom type). These have the dihedral to make them stable but can perform all aerobatics sort of KE and hover. I learnt all my aerobatics on that type. Best get a screwon type wing with two screws instead of the rubber band type but if that is not available, rubber band type is also fine. For that reason, the Avistar is quite popular

If its a second airplane you want, Phoenix Dolphin is just great- its 62" span makes it very stable and its built light. Its not 3D though

Ameyam
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, all good suggestions. But as a second airplane, and forevermore plane, with a 30 cc engine, look no further than the Great Planes Giant Big Stick. Built tough as a tank. Flies easy as a second plane, but can do stunts, including 3D if desired.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

The Mustang PTS is a horrible 'trainer' - total gimmick, half the instructors who try to help guys with it can't fly it themselves. Stay away from the PTS kits - all of them.

The Avistar is a very fun high-wing trainer; it has a shorter wing so it is fairly maneuverable.
If an instructor can't fly a PTS Mustang, then they probably shouldn't be teaching others to fly.

Just sayin...
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

If an instructor can't fly a PTS Mustang, then they probably shouldn't be teaching others to fly.

Just sayin...
+1.... lol

I've seen enough guys start with this model now to be convinced it's an excellent option especially the newest red tail versions. Mike McConville has made some nice changes to the model since it was originally introduced, only downside is they don't come with a flight sim anymore. Wish this type of "trainer" had been around when I started....