Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Alcuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

As has been stated many times and many ways, there is a limit on what flies well with what power on the nose. Yes, I believe in having enough power to make the plane fly in a fun manner. Too much weight will make the plane need the speed to stay in the air. I do believe powering the plane with the upper recommended engine/motor. I even think at times and for some models, as long as I can stay close to the suggested all up weight with a more powerful engine, that is what I tend to do. Is it overpowering the plane? for the most part I don't think so. Left stick management is the key.

I have a P6 Hawk designed around a 120 four stroke that I mounted a 20 DLE on. It flew OK but needed over 21 oz of weight in the nose to balance it even with the flight batteries pushed against the firewall. It definitely was a "scale" flyer, and in fact maybe even a bit slow. So I installed a DLE 30 on it and moved batteries, CDI Box and everything up front on the engine box. It balanced perfectly and ended up the same weight. And now it flies like a dream as well as slowing nicely for landing. I suppose I could have stuffed a 55 on the front and gone insane, but with the 30 did I overpower it? I do not think so. I did add some gussets for the motor box and the firewall inside as a precaution, but I do not know if they were necessary.

Another plane is the Funtana 125 with a power 110 and 8 cells @ 5000 mAh. Unlimited vertical as well as all the speed I need. Is it overpowered? Maybe, but it is what is recommended. It will do about anything I ask of it at half to 2/3s throttle.

I think as long as the plane is beefed up enough to take the extra power and flies safely in a manner the pilot likes, that is what the hobby is all about. I know I do not like them so underpowered they wallow around on the edge of a stall at or near full throttle. That is no fun. But like the J-3 Cub that can float around solidly while flying slow... that is fun. And every plane has a sweet spot for power and weight. When you find it, the plane responds and does what it will do very well. That makes for very enjoyable flying! If all you want is fast, buy or build the fast planes! Just get out of the way when landing them. LOL To each his own in my thinking.