Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

h9 extra 260 27%

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

h9 extra 260 27%

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default h9 extra 260 27%

Hello
Does anyone have the hangar 9 extra 260, 27% ARF
and installed the combo engine for it, the evolution gas 50 cc engine?

reason i ask, is that i purchased this from horizon hobby, and the first flight, the airplane took off like a rocket, and shortly thereafter, the aileron servos stripped ,and wings began to flutter, and
after near crash landing, i have repaired the airplane.

the second flight, i had run engine rich, and max rpm was 5400 rpm with a 23 x 8

plane flew great, and i clocked it going 90 mph.

i have since then, re-adjusted the engine, and with the 23 x 8 prop, i am getting 6500 rpm.

have not flown plane yet,

just scared something will go wrong if i fly full speed.

has anyone else flown this plane full speed with this motor and what happened.

i am using the servos recommended by hangar 9, but have upgraded them all to the JR8411 with metal gears and high torque.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM
dirtyoldman00
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: h9 extra 260 27%

I fly mine with JR 8411 on the ailerons 8611 on the elevator and 8611a on the rudder with No problems Running a DA 50 and it flys great one of my favorite planes Flying wide open is putting alot of strain on the servos why do you want to fly wide open?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
orthobird

good question
i probably do not, however, i have had a super decathlon and a giant big stick, gassers, and i would use full throttle for most of flight, and was always concerned of stalling if i did not have full power, so i believe it is probably ok to not do so with the extra?

how much throttle do you use for takeoff?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Ichy

Will let yu know. but may be another week. I had a 48 cc twin cylindar on it but it was unreliable. Have to balance the plane and the prop, and cut holes in the new cowl. Good luck with yours! Oh, BTW, it's a DLE 55, and the strap on top is for the movie camera!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74133.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	1766811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53792.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	1766812  
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a speed plane and 90 mph I think is too fast. With a 50cc you need to use a lot of throttle management. I have one and mine has a DLE 30 on it and it is enough for me. I can hover it with a 20-6 prop on it. It flys light and I have a carbon fiber gear and carbon fiber wing tube and no added weight. If there was a DA40 or a DLE40 that would be a good engine for this plane but actually the 30cc flys it fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Ichy

You're right, it's not a speed plane, but I am using it to break in some engines. The previous ones were unreliable, overweight and underpowered. After four engine outs in a row with resultant crashes, I went big! Now I have an engine that starts on the first flip! Also flying at 5ooo feet. I could not be happier.

http://youtu.be/7K7Lr8vCbWw

Need to tape the cowl down. Looks funny flapping in the breeze. Will try a 22 x 10 in the future.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
orthobird

love your video.
i have a 23 x 8 prop on mine.

i wonder if i should use a 22 x8 like yours, this should slow down plane so it does not go as fast.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Ichy

My fear is a prop strike! The plane sits low to the ground. I may go with a shorter three blade some day.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Raflex

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to convert my Hangar 9 extra 260 27% to electric.
I'm using the HXT 6364 230 kv and with 8s lippo 30c 4000 ma i have 8kgr static thrust.
Propeller 20x10 Apc.

I havent flown yet because my CG is about one inche aft of the suggested .
If anyone can help me on this , this plane can fly safely 3d with this aft cg? or i should stick to the manuals.
About the deflection rates , shall i follow the manuals or can i use more throws for 3d.

Iam planning to connect in series the 6s with 2s lipo to get the 8s that is required. Anyone have something to tell me about that?

Looking forward for your replies

ORIGINAL: orthobird

Hello
Does anyone have the hangar 9 extra 260, 27% ARF
and installed the combo engine for it, the evolution gas 50 cc engine?

reason i ask, is that i purchased this from horizon hobby, and the first flight, the airplane took off like a rocket, and shortly thereafter, the aileron servos stripped ,and wings began to flutter, and
after near crash landing, i have repaired the airplane.

the second flight, i had run engine rich, and max rpm was 5400 rpm with a 23 x 8

plane flew great, and i clocked it going 90 mph.

i have since then, re-adjusted the engine, and with the 23 x 8 prop, i am getting 6500 rpm.

have not flown plane yet,

just scared something will go wrong if i fly full speed.

has anyone else flown this plane full speed with this motor and what happened.

i am using the servos recommended by hangar 9, but have upgraded them all to the JR8411 with metal gears and high torque.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all you Hangar 9 27% extra fans (or victims, take ur pick!) I picked up one of these 3 years ago for cheap with a tired CRRC 45cc engine in need of replacement. One thing led to another and soon there was a spanking new RCGF 55 under the hood, and I've flown it that way for quite awhile. Flew fine, but I always felt like it could fly better. Powerwise no complaints here, if anything, to much power, I mean it was just ridiculous if you ask me. With a 22X8 Zoar you could dang near hover at high idle! Throttle management was defiantly the order of the day or something important was going to get left behind, like wings or maybe a half a fuse.

Anyway... I've always been curious to see how this airframe would do with a 30 size engine and recently I finally pulled the trigger on a DLE 35. After slapping this puppy on it I'm convinced that's the engine it needed all along. Still breaking it in with a 19X8 Zoar. but from what I see it has more than adequate power for just about anything you care to dream up. Will hover all day at half throttle, but more important to me I shed about 2lbs of weight in the deal so overall performance is greatly improved. I did wind up a little tail heavy, but shifting batteries fwd and rudder servo to a pull pull setup pretty much cured that.

Only drawback I've seen so far is that little DLE looks kinda lost in the cowl with cutouts for the old 55. I might have spring for a new cowl if I can find one.

U'alls have fun now, I'm going flyin.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Raflex

Dear friend hi,

Yes you are right 100%. This plane needs to be as light as possible if you are a 3D guy.
I suggest to move the gas tank to the CG location so when the fuel gets less you avoid having problems with CG.
I have convert mine to electric and the total weight is 6 kg.
My CG is half inch aft of the recommended max cg .

It flies well but still is a second generation 3D plane and i have some limitations during maneuvers .

In general is a very good plane...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:51 AM
757jonp

Good to hear from you Raflex. I read with interest your conversion to electric and was wondering how it was working out. I would assume you have your batteries mounted fwd as much a possible?

I confess I haven't got an accurate measurement of my present CG location, but from the way it's flying I'd say it's just a touch tail heavy. The plane "feels" good in the air, very aerobatic with no real bad faults other than it's little difficult to hold a constant "hands off" line. I've also experienced a tendency to "porpoise" when landing. All symptoms of a cg just a little to far fwd, so we need to work on that a little. Fuel tank is already mounted near the CG.

This Extra is a tough one to get right. Really a little to big to be a 30cc, to small for a 50. You'd think a 40 or 45cc would be right, but most of them weigh about the same as a 50c.

2nd generation? More like 1st generation and an oddball size to boot I think.

It is what it is I guess.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Raflex

Dear friend hi,
I am more to electric conversions but a thought i had to return it to gas again was with the DLE 35 engine.
The DLE55 for my opinion is for endless hovering and nothing more...

About my conversion.The batteries are inside the fuselage at the original gas tank location. They weight 1kg, 10C , 4Amps . My motor is a Dualsky 230Kv , giving me 2500 Watts and weights 630gr.
Total weight of the plane is 6 kgr.

What about wing rocking? How is your planes behavior??

By the way my name is Alex and i leave in Greece.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
bikerbc

You are rite to be worried about something going wrong if you fly this plane at full speed.. From what I understand The plane is designed for 3Ding . 3 D planes have large control surfaces and if you fly them fast they can develop a high speed flutter that can literately blow them to pieces ..You can use wide open throttle for take off if you need to or for situations like that but for cruising around you do not need anything like full power..Cut your power back and fly the plane on it's wings ..My buddy had a brand new 3D ( I think it was a big yak) and he took it up , I think it was about the third flight and he tried putting it into a high speed pass .. It developed a high speed flutter and literally exploded ..
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM
757jonp

Hey (southern for "hello") Alex and bikerbc!

I'm down in the shop, just finished checking the CG on this 260. Just as I suspected little bit tailheavy. We're at about 6", supposed to be 4.75 to 5.25. So I've got to move some more weight forward or get it off the tail. I could mount the battery forward of the firewall fairly easily, but that's about it. If I have to add weight, I'll install a canister muffler I've been looking at.

Alex...I think you mentioned you were a little tail heavy too. With your setup I think I'd look into opening up your firewall where a can muffler would mount, build yourself a tray to place the batteries under the motor??? Just a thought. I haven't had any problems with wing rock.

Biker... There used to be a warning somewhere about flying this plane with a DA50 (or similar) cautioning use of power. I think it was on the Hangar 9 site, but I guess it's been removed. Jist of it was to use caution and exercise prudent throttle management. I for one never enjoyed flying this plane in that manner. With the 35cc you can fly it like you stole it, wring that sucker out and don't worry about it. Now, if I can get the CG a little more on the mark without turning it into a porker.......

Stay tuned