Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 20cc Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:03 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your approach to the climbing issue is by means of the downthrust.
Where is the CG on your plane? Mine is at the very rear edge of the dummy fuel tank with nose still pointing down. I added 11oz to the engine mounts to achieve that
Old 10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
rafeeki

Here are pics of my modified landing gear. I yet have to paint it or enclose it to cover the o rings. Works real well.
These are components from a Robarts J-3 landing gear assembly. I had to shorten the telescopic struts slightly and modified the mounting point of the front strut by just packing a thick piece of rubber under it and beef it up from inside the fuselage with a 1/2" x 1/2" spruce.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160330.JPG
Views:	2162
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2125495   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160331.JPG
Views:	1844
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	2125496  

Last edited by rafeeki; 10-15-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:16 PM
hpergm

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a pretty smart mod Rafeek - thanks for sharing.
I was always wondering how to make the front strut pivotable...

On the other hand, I was worried about over-leaning when taxying/taking-off/landing in crosswinds (bipes are more susceptible to the wind "getting under the wing") when having a soft LG, then decided to live with the rigid stock set-up.

Hasn't proven too much of a problem, plane flies so slow I can grease it in every time (even deadstick) without bouncing.

My CG is on the front of the suggested range (126-129mm if memory serves). Definately ~1in. in front of the TE of the fake top tank... Maybe this is why I experience nose-ins during taxying out without up elevator. But flying is good.

Just a few pics - to break the monotonous text; the DH82 in last year's F4C Nats in GR (ARF category).
Nothing beats an early morning flight in dead calm and mist on the ground... Almost back to 1930's England.
(The Miles Mohawk is a scratch built, winner of Designer Scale - not mine, of course..)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3583.JPG
Views:	1887
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	2125589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3590.JPG
Views:	1645
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	2125590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3601.JPG
Views:	1492
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	2125591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3568.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2125592  

Last edited by hpergm; 10-16-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 PM
rafeeki

Hi again Hector. Since my last post I just got around to swapping the front and rear dummy fuel tank supports to see how much the decalage will change.
My original readings with no mods having the stabilizer set at zero degrees, gave me a +2 degrees for the lower wing and +4 for upper wing.
After swapping the supports now I have +2 degrees for both wings.
Have not flown it yet nor will I till spring comes around again.
How do u expect it to fly, any thoughts?
Rafeek
Old 12-12-2015, 07:23 AM
hpergm

Hey Rafeek,

I can only refer you to my previous post regarding the expectations about the decalage and the downthrust/fuz stance this will give in the air: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...l#post11705643

Only thing I can say is that the way I have finally set it up (downthrust, CG, low prop pitch = high thrust but slow speed) there is indeed very little balooning so I don't feel I would need to change anything. The plane is designed to fly nose-down at walking speeds, so the high apparent incidence is a non-issue as long as you are prepared to dial some down trim and not let it spoil you. Having a higher AoA on the upper wind will give you a tamer stall. The way you do it will be snappier.

Having flow the thing, I finally think that dialling the CG forward and the engine thrust angles will take away more of the balloning without side-effect rather than a full blown decalage change. But that's a supposition. From an academic POV, I would like to get your feedback when you get a chance to fly it.

Regards,
Hector.

Last edited by hpergm; 12-12-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 PM
rafeeki

It's me again Hector. I forgot to mention that my mods was prompted after looking at some specs on the real Moth in an owners manual I just got my hands on. It showed the incidence angle on both wings to be 4 degrees.
No I haven't flown it yet but am waiting for a break in the weather which could happen although it usually goes downhill from here.
Will b in touch when I fly it next.
Merry Christmas
Rafeek
Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 PM
rafeeki

I need a HUB CAP to fit Tiggy.... anyone has an extra one lying around?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
rafeeki

Hi Hector, hope all is well.
Gotta tell u guys I'm having a lot of fun with my Tiger. That modified landing gear has saved me many times���� it's been crowd pleaser everytime especially when it lands without nosing over.
Now I want to install a scale prop hub which is very shallow, nothing like the one originally suplied w the plane. Any idesea who makes one.
Best
Rafeek
Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 AM
hpergm

Hi Rafeek - been some time! After all those years owning the plane, I never had a video of it flying other than the maiden back in 2012.. So, as it happened I tried to start the new year with a flying session and a friend took this video - so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqne9y8mIVw I have to say that there was a strong crosswind coming from my back on the runway and was not able to perform admirably the "party trick" of this plane/pilot combination which is the one-wheel-touch-and-go...
(All the slanted touchdowns you see are intentional but don't look like that at all...)

Regarding your prop hub question, I have been considering it too. Decided that I would either have to machine one from scratch or just paint the spinner with a band of color same as that of the prop right at the sector of the prop blades cutouts, leaving only a small cone of polished metal visible at the front. From afar, this would surely look like the real thing I guess..

Last edited by hpergm; 01-14-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 PM
rafeeki

Hi Hector, nice to hear from you. Looks like you are still having fun with it as much as I am however as I am in the Chicago area the weather is not conducive for outdoor flying yet. Not until April-May.
Tiggy is really a pleasure to fly with the Saito FA 180 however as I got my hands on a new FA 150 I swapped the engines. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet am sure it is more than sufficient.
At one point I got too daring and was doing inverted flights and loops etc... until one wing folded. Landing with one wing up at 60degrees while the other horizontal was a challenge although turned out to be one of my best landings ever. Replaced the wing tubes with thick walled carbon fiber tubes and all is well with the world Mind you I had wooden dowels inserted into the aluminum tubes for that reason in the first place but I guess I was too adventurous with it.
Was hoping to get some smoke system installed but as it has such a narrow fuselage there is no place now I am thinking of slapping on an add on box that I can put some flour or talcum powder in it
No damage to it so far. Love it.
Best

Rafeek
Old 01-15-2017, 11:55 AM
hpergm

Sorry to hear of the wing fold - what did you do to the plane, snaprolls...??

As for the smoke system, I have been giving it some thoughts too but the space inside the fuz is indeed really limited. How about fitting a small square tank in the front cockpit and either painting it black or covering it with a "tonneau cover" (basically some elastic leather with scale attachment points around) so that it does not show...?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents at the outset my sincere apologies to post this here, but probably you can gauge my desperation. And being the thread for Hangar 9 Tiger Moth the request is more likely to be seen here, hence have had to take this liberty.

Would any one have a in box kit that they no longer wish to keep?

If you have one you wish to part with please let me know
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 AM
hpergm

Hi. If you fail to find one (which is more than probable, sorry...), then why not take a look at the EcomRCMoth? Just google it..
Its similar- almost, but not quite.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM
rafeeki

MAXFORD also have one that is even larger.
http://www.maxfordusa.com/105tigermotharf.aspx
Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you both, Hpergm and Rafeeki.
I am aware of the ECOMRC and Maxford moths but those are not that I am looking for.
While the Maxford one is too large for my need, the ECOMRC is not in the Hangar 9 league.
Then there is Phoenix 1/4 scale Tiger Moth, where the undercarriage look like to be a full case of filaria.
The idea is to get the Hangar 9 kit and do a strip and make over to add scale details
Looks like my search is going to be long one
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
bobbailey
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing to do with hangar 9. I have pacific aeromodel tiger moth 120. Need instruction or answer how
Tank is installed. I have one and want to replace saito 120 with dle 20 but looks like tank buried up front. Tiller arm in way mid wing saddle.

Last edited by bobbailey; 02-06-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: not complete.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 AM
rafeeki

Looking for a Cowl for the Hangar 9 Moth.
Also need dimension from top to bottom of wing struts. Not sure if the front and rear are the same length.

Thank you

rafeek

Last edited by rafeeki; 10-01-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
rafeeki

Originally Posted by pettit
Has anyone else assembled one of these?

Any questions come up when trying to balance it?

I have read some comments elsewhere stating that 1 to 2 pounds of lead was needed to balance at the suggested place.

Maybe the Hangar 9 folks can add a word here....
wing struts
Hi Pittit
If u still have your Tiger Moth would u pl measure the length of the wing struts from hole to hole. I am rebuilding mine.
thanks
Rafeeki

[email protected]
Old 03-21-2021, 04:43 PM
rickrcflyer

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
The Tiger Moth has landed!

Hmmm which of this motely crue to put on the stick . . .
What size pilots can you use for the tigermoth
Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 PM
rickrcflyer

Originally Posted by dale691
Any one tried it with the Saito 20cc gasser?
im using a evo 20cc
Old 03-21-2021, 08:10 PM
rafeeki

Default Pilots

Originally Posted by rickrcflyer
What size pilots can you use for the tigermoth
Here is what I used. The moustache is from my wife's knitting bag

The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (03-22-2021)