Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Extra 300S .75 ARF Control Throws

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Extra 300S .75 ARF Control Throws

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
cwalke32477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Extra 300S .75 ARF Control Throws

I recently aquired a second hand plane, from a club member, called the Seagull Extra 300S .75 ARF
The aircraft is in very good condition, and I am going through the manual for the initial recommended setups.

One thing that seems odd to me is the initial elevater control throws.
on low rate is states only 3/16th's of an inch of travel.
This seems excessively low, as the elvator seems to barely move.
I've only ever seen this little amount of throw on very small electrics.
The high rates call for 3/8" which looks the norm for a low rate.

I asked the original owner what he thought, but he can no longer remember what he used.
He had it set up with extreme throws that I would not be comfortable with.

Any one else out there with experience on this model?
I want the plane to perform basics like lamcevaks, roles, spins, knife edge, loops, etc.
I'm not a 3d pilot, and prefer a stable, but reasonably responsive plane, without unpredictable "snap"
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Extra 300S .75 ARF Control Throws

That model is pretty much of a similar size to my 68" span CG Extra 300 which has an elevator throw on high rates of 10 degrees which is just a tad more than 3/8". I would suggest that you fly the model first at the recommended control throw rates and take it from there.

Karol
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
cwalke32477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does it respond at the 3/8"
My concern is that 3/16" is going to be unresponsive, and then kicking it into high rates at 3/8" will be squirelly. (spelling?)
This isn;t like most of the extra's out there whith large oversized control surfaces. This particular model has the typical "strip" style control surfaces you would find on trainers.

THe person I obtained the aircraft from is an "alien pilot" and can handle anything. His throws were setup lock to lock, which will be way to extreme for me.
I've never owned an Extra before, so perhaps the small throws are the nature of this plane.
I've mostly flown .60 size cap 232's and chipmunks which generally have larger throws than what this calls for.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwalke32477

I've never owned an Extra before, so perhaps the small throws are the nature of this plane.
I've mostly flown .60 size cap 232's and chipmunks which generally have larger throws than what this calls for.
I too was somewhat taken a back initially on the seemingly small throws recommended, but flying the model proved the throws to be quite adequate. However as I suggested earlier, fly the model and see how it behaves and then do whatever adjustments you think necessary to suit your style of flying.

Karol
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your xmitter does expo, why not use a generous expo around 50% with a total throw of 3/8. Ought to soften the stick near center if it's too hot.