Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM Super Sports 40S Maiden Flight.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM Super Sports 40S Maiden Flight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Dmacsimum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Super Sports 40S Maiden Flight.

Just thought I'd share my new plane. It's a World Models Supersports 40S. I have a MVVS 40 BB engine on it, and I will direct it with a Hitech Std 4 channel FM radio. I'm a little nervous with this one, it looks like it maybe quick, Anyone out there have one, and can give me some pointers on its characteristics would be appreciated...... I will fly it tomorrow for the first time. 01-18-2004......
Dennis

Here's the plane:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95738.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	91603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82324.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	91604  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:21 AM
voegdmcm
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: WM Super Sports 40S Maiden Flight.

It,s a great plane, I have a 46TT on mine and love it. Flys great and looks real good too. The only thing I have found is it will stall on approach if I try to land as slow as my trainer, not a whole lot but keep a little throttle in it and see how it does. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Congradulations on a successful flight!
I wish you many more.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
IronCross

I have the red one, it is a real great flying plane. I have an Irvine
.53 in mine. No nasty habits I know of. I did replace the soft nose gear
with a fults gear. Got tired of rebending the stock one every landing. I to find
it has a tendancy to stall if the speed drops to low on a landing. It seems to drop
straight though but tends to bounce when it touches. It may be my CG though, I have
it moved further back then called for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25444.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	91726  
Old 01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Dmacsimum

I CRASHED it guys! Everything was going very well. Ran down the runway, rolled into full throttle, plane jumped up at a little too steep of a climb, so I nosed it down a tad. By this time it was about 30 ft off the ground over a freshly plowed, rowed field about 130 ft away from me, and then the engine died! I thought no prob, rolled it over at a fairly steep angle, and gave her elevator input to attempt to bring it back to the runway. Nope, the plane sank like a rock. I ended up given her full elevator and rolling her back over to gain a little more slower decend. By the time I could even try to turn her around with rudder she was down hard in the field.

Oh well, snapped the wing to fuselage attatchment inlays off with the wing and a few more pieces around that area, but minimal damage. It will be up next weekend. I might just buy a new TT .46 for her. Damn that MVVS 40. Normally it runs like a dream. Something just wasn't right I guess? Maybe a bad plug and it let go. pnce I get into the plane/engine I'll try to find out a bit more on the engine failure.

Still had fun, and the rush, and beating of the heart on a new plane maiden flight can not be beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looooooooooooooooooove it !
Dennis

Wait till you hear what happen to my GP Spacewalker!!!!!!!!!!! Rip vavoom.............
Old 01-18-2004, 06:36 PM
IronCross

Sorry to hear that.
Funny thing I did just about the same thing on the 4th or 5th flight. My own fault, I was going to fuel it and got shooting the bull, thought I had done it, took off and ran out of fuel at about 20 feet. My buddy said I had a brain fart. I too tried to make a turn back to the runway but didn't make it. The wing came off with the front and rear mounts just like it sounded like yours did. It was relativly easy to repair. I think it even flys better now.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:34 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to hear that Dmacsimum.....crashing on a maiden is a bummer! [:@]
One thing you have to watch with this plane....don't be afraid to give it more elevator throw than the manual calls for......if it's even slightly nose heavy, you'll lose elevator response fairly quickly at slow speeds. Don't be afraid to move the CG back to the rear of the recommended range either.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:34 AM
flyboy1950

Yo Dimacsimum! Sorry about your crash. I would like to suggest another WM plane in the same Price range. The Rambler 45 is my fun plane. I mostly fly larger size scale aircraft but this is my "toy". It sells for abour $160. Comes with factory installed retracts too. I fly off grass so I bolted the retracts and put wheel pants on it. This is a great flyer. Will do just about everything. I love the way it flew but was never crazy about the color scheme so recently, I striped it and redid it in my own red/white sport color scheme. It looks great and is a "one of a kind"! This model would likely fly good on the 40. I have an 80 four stroke on mine. I can send a picture of my redo if you like! Flyboy1950
Old 01-22-2004, 01:14 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Dennis,

Sorry for the bad news.
Glow Plug is right on about the elevator.
This planes needs a lot. It does loose it when it is at slow speeds. Set you CG at the recommended.
I have seen no ill effects with the CG back on this plane.
Land it faster than your trainer, it will be ok.

I lost an engine on takeoff with this plane also.
I tried to circle back to the runway and I knew it was not going to make it, so I leveled it out and landed as softly as I could.
Bent all the gears, broke the prop, a few dings on the nose.
What I did not notice, was the servo tray came loose. Not enough glue.
So I use CA on all the joints that I could reach inside the plane.

I love this plane, I fly it all the time.
I also have a TT Pro 46 with a 11x5 APC.
It's a good combination.

Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 05:06 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dmacsimum

I CRASHED it guys! <SNIP>
Dennis
Sorry to hear about your crash! I have a blue and white WM SS40 powered by a Super Tigre .51. It is pretty zippy. I have had a lot of fun with this airplane and consider it an absolute "best buy" in ARFs. Like others, I replaced the front gear with a Fults dual strut unit. I don't notice any bad habits of this airplane.

Get her back together and have some fun! Good luck with you Super Sports 40.

Good flying,
Bob Scott
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Dmacsimum

Thanks fellers for all the support! I about have all the damage fized. Next Sunday, 01-25-04, I should have it back up in the air. Bob, Yup I'm really interested in the Rambler45. What ever plane I decide on, I need to know how long the beams are to the fuselage in order to make sure it will allow room for the Enya .53 four stroke I want to mount on it. The engine mounts used on the WM SS40S are too small. I need the next size larger of engine mount from WM..

Happy flying all,
Dennis
Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 AM
IronCross

Your might want to rethink the Rambler with the Enya .53. I am not familure with the Enya 4s but unless it is a real screamer it will leave the Rambler .45 way underpowered. Most I have seen have at least a Saito .72 in them and they are not overpowered with that setup. Secondly, if you get longer motor mounts your are going to throw the CG off and may have problems with the cowel fit on the plane. Just something to think about.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 AM
flyboy1950

Hey Dennis. I agree that the Enya 53 FS may not be enough for the Rambler 45. It may be okay but probably borderline. Funny, I missed the four stroke part in your thread. Mine has a Magnum 80 Four Stroke and is way overpowered but it's my "primal scream" airplane! My general philosophy is to not overpower my scale airplanes. I have a GP Ryan STA with Magnum
90 FS which is the low end of the power curve for this 12 pound model. I get rave reviews for the scale like way this 1935 design aircraft flies. Sure you can throttle back but most don't and
when you use the extra power it does subtract from the scale effect. Flyboy1950 (Bob)
Old 01-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Dmacsimum

Just thought I'd update about the WM SS40S ARF plane. I had a chance on Sunday 01-25-03 to again try to fly it. I reglued the wing screw mounting brackets in the fuselage, removed and cleaned the engine, replaced the old Glow Plug W/a new GP, and tried 10% nitro Powermaster fuel. Oh and I moved the CG back some.

After I tuned the engine to a new prop, GP, and fuel, I thought she was ready for another attempt of flight. Taxied her out and advanced the throttle. Up, and up, and away she went. Didn't have a problem whar so ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!

Anyway, the plane is fast, but not bad at all. I landed her a little hotter that my high wingers, but I like the plane. For 99.00 bucks it would be a hard ARF to beat. Now I need to get rid of the stock muff on the MVVS .40 and put a mini pipe on it. I also believe 10% is a little hot for it. I would have to run her real rich on the ground, or she would sag in the air. That's with a Zinger wood 10x5!

Happy flying,
Dennis

Oh yeah, ordered the WM Rambler 45 guys. I'm going to try the Enya .53 on it. It may not have unlimited verticle, but If the engine could fly the plane around with authority, it would be good for me. I want to try and make the plane and engine combo a relaxing flyer combo and able to perform only the basic stunts etc.. I guess you could say..... Fly on the wing etc.....

Ltr
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Dennis, glad to hear it went well!!!
I'll probably be putting skis on my Super Sports this weekend....we've got quite a bit of snow piled up!

You might want to try an 11x5 prop on it. It should help with slowing down on approach and also keep the top speed down slightly, while giving it great vertical.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Dmacsimum

I know its been a very long time. Thanks to all for the replies, and sharing of information.