ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP GEE BEE

Old 09-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Trips67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP GEE BEE

It has gotten pretty quiet in here, everyone must be building. I haven't had time to do much to mine, but I got the servos and am waiting on the engine. Is anyone running in to any problems? Anyone gotten to the air yet?

-Ryan
Old 09-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Vulture33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is on the building board with all of the major assembly done.

I got my Tom Perry 30cc modified engine Monday. I need to build a 5/8" standoff to get the motor out to the 6" backplate mark noted in the plans. I will be turning an 18x6.

I am planning on flying it this weekend. Weather forecast is for beautiful weather. I am basically at sea level... should have good density altitude.

Once the engine is bolted on, I'll post with balance issues, etc...

John
Old 09-23-2003, 05:31 PM
RCJake-rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,
Last week, I finished the Great Planes Gee Bee arf for another club member. It is powered with a Saito 180 and has Futaba 9202 servos for the control surfaces, one 3003 for the throttle and an onboard glow driver. Test flight was last Sunday...very slight breeze down the runway...sunny...PLENTY OF SPECTATORS!!! The Gee Bee draws a crowd, that's for sure!

Anyway, the take-off was very smooth, the flight was excellent (1/2 throttle) and the first landing was aborted (bounced...concentrating too hard on the engine) and the second landings was smooth.

This Gee Bee does not need a Saito 180, but that is what he wanted in it. I had to add 2 1/2 oz of weight in the tail to get the Gee Bee balanced correctly. Surprise! Surprise!!

I would highly recommend this ARF to anyone that is an experienced pilot. It goes together quickly and flies great. I only wish that Great Planes would supply a larger fuel tank with the Gee Bee. I modified the fuel tank former and installed a 16oz tank in this one.

Great Planes should be proud of this fine Gee Bee!

Smooth Landings,
Jake
Old 09-23-2003, 08:16 PM
bruce119

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all

I just flew my Gee Bee this morning. Flew great, perfect take off. Flying is easy, it slows down real nice. Landing was a little tricky for me. It's a real floater. I guess you gota slow it down before you land. The whole flight was great. The trim on the radio was rite on the money just need about 2 clicks down.
I put a Satio 120 in it. The balance was rite on too. This plane looks great, flys great and was fun to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38551.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	63313  
Old 09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
epc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just ordered mine, how much is the final weight on yours.

I'm not decided yet on what engine I'll use I wanted the RCS 140 but I think It will make the plane too heavy maybe a TT120 or webra 120 I really like the YS 140 sport for it but I don't want to spend $400+ since I'm not into glow anymore and with that amount I can buy a Gas engine.

Thanks and keep us posted,

epc.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
Trips67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you guys that are using saito 150s or 180s using the stock engine mount? It sure seems like a tight fit with the 180. Are you installing it at the head down angle so that the exhaust exits the cutout in the bottom? I am planning to intall in this orientation and use onboard glow.

Also, what are you guys using for a scale looking prop nut?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Trips67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did anyone fly theirs over the weekend? I am still a ways away, but was wondering how they were going?
Old 09-29-2003, 03:55 PM
bruce119

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It flys great. But I find it a little dificult to land I had a couple of hard landings and the gear is a little light and flexes and cracks the wheel paints. So I repaired the paints two times so far and beafed them up with extra fiberglass. Once I learn to land it better all should be OK.
Bruce
Old 10-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Vulture33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took mine to the flying field yesterday and the flight battery came loose during the pre-flight check... good thing it did not come loose in the air!

I did run the motor and taxi it through a tank of gas. The Tom Perry 30cc engine started on the first flip! It was turing an 18x6 prop at 7,650 RPM and I had it running rich.

The motor is going to pull the plane with authority... no tendencies to tip over on the nose. The tail was bouncing a bunch as it taxied at high speed and the tail never tried to go over the nose.

It should fly Friday or Saturday at this point. Attached is a pic of the motor installation.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Us53884.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	64889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56355.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	64890  
Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
epc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vultere33 ,

How much was your final weight?

Thanks

epc.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
ROGER RUSSELL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everybody is talking about going bigger on the power plant, how about on the other side.
Would a Saito 100 do alright?
Have one looking for a home and have always liked GB's.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:57 AM
GBR2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Landing gear looks pretty wimpy and is probably the same soft "music wire" that GP seems to use in all their ARF's. You would think by now they would realize how crappy that wire is but then cheap is cheap.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Vulture33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not had a chance to weigh it yet. I am sure that I will be at least 3lbs heavy. The motor/ignition/battery weigh 3lbs 7/8 oz. plus I am running a 6 volt 5 cell 2700 Milliamp NiMh battery for the radio gear. I moved the servos back behind the CG, mounted the igntion under the fuel tank and put the ignition and flight pack batteries on the bottom of the fueslage behind the wing saddle... pretty easy to modify really but most importantly I did not have to add any additional weight (like it needs any) to balance. The flight pack battery is about 5" forward of the tail so I have some room to play with there.

It was tough being such a short airplane to get the Rx and radio gear far enough away from the engine to eliminate interference. I had a Bosch cap put on the ignition to help and moved the throttle servo to the empty hole next to the elvevator servo and ran a pushrod.

I range checked the radio with the motor running before taxi and did not have any chatter or issues there. I don't like the LG wire after installing it as it does seem flimsy. I will have to be careful of heavy landings... it did hold up well during the high speed taxi tests yesterday... no noticeable flexing... of course one hard landing will add more stress than "normal" taxi tests.

I'll get video this weekend and post it on my site.

John "Vulture" Crisp
Old 10-01-2003, 02:18 PM
popeye721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My G. P. Gee Bee arrived ten days ago. It took me seven days 8 hrs. a day to finish the bird. Belly pan did not fit hrs, of sanding and fitting to get a nice fit. Also the monokote had some deffects on it.One ail was not sanded well on one end the wood stuck out 1/8" took monokote off and had to sand it.The wing joiner is put togeather in 3 pcs, of some kind of light ply that is more like rubber.Out the window it went i made mines out of aviation ply. The servo trays and the servos slots on wing ,have the same type of light ply to mount servos to .Not a good idea. i inserted 1/8" aviation ply under all servo mounts. Now servos screw down good & thight. Way to much slop in stab slot had to make shims and push them in on bottom of stab so the gap on top would be nice and thin.Canopy went on nice .I did not have the heart to cut the pilots head off this has got to be a thirty dollar pilot . I had a head so i used it.I'll use that nice pilot some place else. Ail,rud, elv. fit like a glove ca hidges fit perfect easy instalation.Wheel pants are are nice I put cauking under them where they meet the wing for extra cushin I don't want them messed up. fiberglass work is out standing never seen better. Cowling was easy, i went the whole nine yards push rods wire pait ect, very easy to install. Servos used S9204 This torqe not needed but what the heck i had them. Egine used saito 120 fourstroke . fowllowing the instructions on placemnt of radio batt & rec. in the airplane all i needed was 1/2 oz lead in tail for perfect ballance.I used a expert on-board digital glow driver. hook up to shutoff at 1/4 throttle through my cmp. radio what a dream my 120 fs purs at idle . Prop used 15x6 Dynathrust. decalls went on easy. sunday 28th 2003 not much wind in tampa fl that morning very nice conditions . cranked up the old 120 saito run it out on run way fed the throttle in nice and easy gain speed let the tail come up pulled up nice and easy on elv.And up she went like a dream no torque problem at all A little up trim on elevator and taht was it. rolls nice loops nice nice knife edge speed about 85 m.p.h.s more than i expected. landing came in under speed for a perfect landing rolled out nice forgot to hold up elv so it skid a little ways on bottom of cowlining just a little scrape fixed already missle red top flight luster coat perfect match What a creampuss enjoy yours. A modeler for 35 years yours truly Andrew
Old 10-03-2003, 05:00 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to see a Gee Bee that one of our club members has .... look here. 30% with DA 150.

http://www.flybuder.com/geebee
Old 10-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Vulture33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, bad news and good news…

The Gee Bee flew fine with the 30cc gas modification. The bad news is that it fell out of the air… literally from about 4 feet of altitude and crashed catastrophically. I have viewed the video many times and I can’t figure out why. Plenty of forward speed, etc… the only thing is that we had moderate gusty winds and it could have flown through a microburst or the wind died… no telling. I am debating getting another. It flies like a dream… much better than my Kyosho Z model from a stability standpoint. It did not feel twitchy… the Kyosho kit is to a degree. The difference is the size and weight I’m sure.

The plane is beautiful in the air. I’ll keep you posted on what I will do. One thing is certain… I will switch back to glow and keep the heavy wing loading down… I don’t think that contributed to the accident but more weight hits harder than less when the ground jumps up into the flight path like it did. I am going to fly my Kyosho this weekend just to get the Gee Bee bug again after the letdown of the crash.

John
Old 10-13-2003, 06:51 PM
RCJake-rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trips67,

I did mount the engine with the supplied motor mount and the engine fit fine inside the cowl. Also, the engine is mounted so the stock muffler exits at the channel in the bottom of the fuse. It took a littl figuring, but worked out great. When I mounted up the scale dummy engine, I only had to remove one of the cylinders to supply air to cool the Saito 180. I had to put 2 1/2 oz of lead in the tail of the Gee Bee to get it balanced.

This Gee Bee that I built was for another modeler and the Saito 180 is what he wanted in it. If I was to build one for myself, I would use a 120. When I test flew the Gee Bee, it was flown at 1/2 throttle...no more was needed.

If you have any other questions, just drop me a line.

Smooth Landings,
Jake
Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 PM
epc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just received mine and right now I'm deciding between the Supertigre 2300 or the TT 120.

What do you guys think?

epc.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Vampire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Andrew:

Can you tell us how much expo did you need on the elevator to yield a "smooth" flare to landing ?

I found it necessary to use about 45-50% as the PIO was significant without it.

With this setting you can paint the R2 onto the feild everytime with no nose over tendencies.

Would like your feedback.

Kerry S.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 AM
epc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please opinions on the previous post about the engine:

Supertigre 2300 or TT 120

thanks,

epc.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:57 PM
popeye721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My freind
Don't cheat yourself forget about all those big engines they are to heavy. they are also not reliable . All you need is a good 4 stroke 120 saito Or os max with a 15x7 prop. You are just looking for a bad time they reb up to much and create to much torqe.My GeeBee has a saito 120 in it. It came in at 12lbs.4oz it was clocked at 85 mph. more than good enough.I also have a expert on board ignition it cuts off at qurter trottle.It makes my old saito purr at low speeds.If thier is one thing you don't want it's a flame out. 1/2 oz in the tail is all i needed to ballance the plane All the gas engine guys are going to have a bad way to go. The geebee just dose not need it.My name is Andrew .I have some input to articles above you make those chages and you will enjoy your GeeBee.A modeler For a long time Andrew
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
GeeBeeMan21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a North West Hobby Tech Geebee R2. That has an 85" span and weighs 19lbs. i have a G45 for an engine and it is way over powered. Too me, an airframe of 10lbs doenst need anything over a 120 at all. Have any of you guys had problems with nose overs and tail damage cause of grass strips? I have been thinking of getting a smaller Gee Bee as well. I have an adrain page Gee Bee Z that i love and my big NWHT. I am very pleased with the flight quality of the NWHT. It draws ALOT of attention where ever it goes. I really wish you guys luck with your Gee Bee's! I am glad to finally see some others around that isnt messing around with heavy bricks like the byron kits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tr51325.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	68134  
Old 10-17-2003, 07:57 AM
popeye721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My freind
Don't cheat yourself. My GeeBee has a saito 120 F.S. in it. It came in at 12lbs4oz It only took 1/2oz on the tail of lead to ballance it to the tee. The big two stroke engines reb up to much creating to much torque. They are also to heavy an not realible at all.The last thing you want is a flameout this could be fatel for a hundred reasons. I also installed an expert onboard ignition this system keeps the glow plug hot any time you get under quarter throttle .This makes my engine purr at idle because the glow ignition is burning off any excess fuel. The fellows who are thinking about gas engines are going to have lots of problems . The aircraft is going to be to heavy It's really not that big of modle they will defeat the whole idea. My GeeBee was clocked at 85mph. As for me i think thats fast enough.A saito 120fs or os max fs or any good running 120 fs will be just fine.The modle performs well nice loops nice rolls outstanding knife edge no torque problem on take off.Landings come in with little power and it settles down perfect .I If you look two pages up i gave some input on construction of this bird. It may have some helpfull hints. Andrew
Old 10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
popeye721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vanpire
On my fisrt flight on the GEEBEE. I had 50% expo. But i also only had less than a 1/2" of elevator. I had a perfect landing but it rolled out a ways and then it skid on the cowling for a little ways . I'm going to fly it again this sunday. All throws will be at specks. It had plenty up and down in the air so now I will have to be carefull on take off the last thing you want on a geebee is to much elevator it will snap.

Andrew
Old 10-17-2003, 08:22 AM
popeye721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John
If the aircraft was over 13lbs. This would be your problem a 30cc engine is just to heavy The modle is not that big . Mines flys at 85mph with a saito 120 FS.Its It comes in at 12lbs4oz.
Andrew

Search this Thread