Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP GEE BEE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP GEE BEE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: GP GEE BEE

Yeah keep the pitch at 6 and you will be a happy camper anything over that and the plan does not want to slow down at all when you land.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dawg !!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Cougar-RCU

so going with a 17 or 18 X6 would be OK then as well with this new OS155FS in it? or should
I stay down on the size as well?
16/6 ?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
rowdog_14

ORIGINAL: Cougar-RCU

so going with a 17 or 18 X6 would be OK then as well with this new OS155FS in it? or should
I stay down on the size as well?
16/6 ?
The only problem you are probably going to have is clearance for the bigger size prop. If the 17 or 18 fit with no ground clearance problem then I say have at it. The only other problem is that on the specs it states that the prop range is 16x8-16x12 or 17x8-17x12( that thing is going to haul butt with those props ) so if you put a 16x6 or 17x6 it might not be enough and the RPM's will probably be to high. I would say if you are going to do a 6 pitch then go with a 18x6, but there might be ground clearance issues.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Cougar-RCU

Thank You
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
rowdog_14

Also do not be scared of the 8 pitches. If you have a lot of air for approaches and a nice and long runway to land on then you are fine with the 8 pitch. I just could not slow mine down enough the way our flying field was and I was always landing it in the grass or forcing it down on the runway. So a 6 pitch is good for someone with not a lot of room to land or someone that is not good with landing hot planes or a combination of the two
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Cougar-RCU

This is what it says about this OS 155 FS
Propeller: 16x8-12 or 17x8-12
AND
SPECS: Displacement: 1.548 cu in (25.36cc)
Bore: 1.323" (33.6mm)
Stroke: 1.126" (28.6mm)
Practical RPM: 2,000 - 10,000 RPM
Power Output: 2.6 PS, 2.56 HP @ 10,000 RPM

So does this mean I can not go down to a 6 ? damn.. and I have bunches of 6's LOL from the 120 I used to have
in the plane but never flew it with that engine. hoping this engine isn't to much power for it.

And when it is time I will have a long runway for it's first flights.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
rowdog_14

NOOO the gee be loves power and flys great fast. As far as engine it is pretty much an OS 120 but with bigger displacement. If you put a 16x6 or 17x6 prop on it then it will be under propped and you could risk over revving it. If you really want to try 16x6 prop you can but I would do a 17x6 before I would even think about a 16x6. If you do put a 6 pitch on there I would run the engine pretty rich to get the RPM down, but you risk stalling out your motor which will be bad with the GEE BEE and you will lose the extra power that the OS155 has over the OS120. I run all my nitro engine a few clicks rich and have never had any stalling problems, but you would probably need more than a few click of rich to compensate the smaller pitch.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Cougar-RCU

now to get you over to Iowa so you can test fly it for me
not today though.. we are having a blizzard.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
rowdog_14

Honestly, I would not even fly my own gee bee right now I have only flown about 10 times in the last three years and the Gee Bee you saw in my video is now hung on my ceiling as display. The last time I flew my Gee Bee was at a club called www.ccrc.info (Cobb County RC) and I about lost the plane because the field is small a crap and the GEE BEE just eats the air up. The runway is the longest I have ever landed on but the dang approach is the shortest. There is no really good open place to fly in the Atlanta,Georgia area like it was when I was in Nashville,Tennessee. The good flying fields in GA are either in either north or south GA and they are about 1-1.5 hour away. So over the past few years I have mainly been flying my helis. Good luck with your flight and head wind is your friend. So if you have a wind directly down the runway it will help greatly with landing.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Honestly, I would not even fly my own gee bee right now I have only flown about 10 times in the last three years and the Gee Bee you saw in my video is now hung on my ceiling as display. The last time I flew my Gee Bee was at a club called www.ccrc.info (Cobb County RC) and I about lost the plane because the field is small a crap and the GEE BEE just eats the air up. The runway is the longest I have ever landed on but the dang approach is the shortest. There is no really good open place to fly in the Atlanta,Georgia area like it was when I was in Nashville,Tennessee. The good flying fields in GA are either in either north or south GA and they are about 1-1.5 hour away. So over the past few years I have mainly been flying my helis. Good luck with your flight and head wind is your friend. So if you have a wind directly down the runway it will help greatly with landing.
Rowdog, sorry to disagree, but there is a very good field with long approaches and long paved and grass runways in north Atlanta. That is the GMA field in Ball Ground, GA (north-west Forsyth County). We fly everything from small electrics to turbins and giant scale. We have a club house with vending machines, porta potties, and the pits have electric service. Come on out and try it as my guest. We have a number of Cobb County flyers for the very reason you state.

http://www.gmarc.com/

Bruce
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
rowdog_14

ORIGINAL: landeck

ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Rowdog, sorry to disagree, but there is a very good field with long approaches and long paved and grass runways in north Atlanta. That is the GMA field in Ball Ground, GA (north-west Forsyth County). We fly everything from small electrics to turbins and giant scale. We have a club house with vending machines, porta potties, and the pits have electric service. Come on out and try it as my guest. We have a number of Cobb County flyers for the very reason you state.

http://www.gmarc.com/

Bruce
Bruce

You must did a quick read over my post. Read back over it and you will see I noted North and South GA. I bolded them so you could see. Yeah GMAC is a nice field and there are plenty other nice big fields in GA but none that are nice near the metro Atlanta Area. Sorry but I have to disagree with you disagreeing with my post . I sorry but you opened the door for that one.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
landeck

Rowdog, Forsyth County is Metro Atlanta. It borders north Fulton County and west Cherokee County. I live in Sandy Springs which is on the north border of the city of Atlanta. I fly out at the GMA field 3-4 times a week when the weather is nice. I hop up GA 400 to GA 369. Go east on GA 369 (Matt HYWY) 8 miles to Old Federal HYWY and you are there.

Bruce

Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
rowdog_14

Hopefully I can come out and enjoy one day. I sold my TopFlite Staggerwing to the Staggerwing Museum in TN, and I have my P-47 150 listed for sale because I have not flown it in a long time. So all I would have left is the Gee Bee and my great planes revolver.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
rowdog_14

ORIGINAL: landeck

Rowdog, Forsyth County is Metro Atlanta. It borders north Fulton County and west Cherokee County. I live in Sandy Springs which is on the north border of the city of Atlanta. I fly out at the GMA field 3-4 times a week when the weather is nice. I hop up GA 400 to GA 369. Go east on GA 369 (Matt HYWY) 8 miles to Old Federal HYWY and you are there.

Bruce

Oh Lord....Ok I know exactly were all the major fields are in Georgia plus a lot of rouge fields in Cobb county. I was just pulling your leg and now you are getting all technical.....look where you are located at easy enough for you and if live in the Sandy Springs Area I would be at GMAC too...based off the Census yes it is Metro Atlanta...Ok I am done cause this is going no where.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM
landeck

I guess we were pulling each others leg. I know that the GMA field is a bit of a drive if you live on the south, east, and west sides of Atlanta. Even for me on the near north side of Atlanta it is a 45 minute drive but still worth it. But the offer is still open - come on up as my guest when the weather turns nice again - be glad to show you around.

Bruce
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM
E Strader

Is the Gee Bee you are talking about a R1 or R2 ? because I was looking for the GB that GP used to sell and I cant find it anywhere. If memory serves it was a 60. size model made of fiberglass fuse and built up wings. The one your you are refering to here someone posted that it has a 66in. WS and you are talking about gas engines for power. This must be something new and I am Interested.please let me know and in the meantime I will search GP again. Thank you. Eric
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Cougar-RCU

I have the GP GeeBee and it WILL fly this year.. Four years or more and still not flown.
Just added a OS FS 155 to it.
and GP does not make the GB anymore. I have seen almost
the same format of plane on the Hobby King Site.
thought about ordering one for aback-up one day.
Jeff
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

ORIGINAL: E Strader

Is the Gee Bee you are talking about a R1 or R2 ? because I was looking for the GB that GP used to sell and I cant find it anywhere. If memory serves it was a 60. size model made of fiberglass fuse and built up wings. The one your you are refering to here someone posted that it has a 66in. WS and you are talking about gas engines for power. This must be something new and I am Interested.please let me know and in the meantime I will search GP again. Thank you. Eric
pm sent
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM
rowdog_14

Any updates from any new Gee Bees. I have been following another Gee Bee topic [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1029475/anchors_11451724/mpage_59/key_/anchor/tm.htm#11451724]Comp Arf GeeBee[/link] and I only wish I could get this plane!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Cougar-RCU

The only one I have seen in a ARF is the one from Hobby King. Almost looks
just like the one Tower sold. but the SHIPPING Cost [X(] and GUESS WHAT
I am gunna fly mine this year
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Cougar-RCU

I also ordered a 1/4 scale ARF CUB from them and it was sent in the USA
And I was very surprised how well built it was. and no damage
to the shipping box.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Cougar,

If you ever pass thru Kansas City let me know. I still have mine but haven't flown it in 4 years. Have about 20 flights on it but have moved on to Warbirds I would probably sell it if we could come together on terms.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Cougar-RCU

YUP I am interested for sure. Will try and keep in touch Sir.
I am in Iowa
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Send me a PM and we can exchange e-mails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.