Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

I am building a Electric Revolver 50cc size

When I figured out how much cheaper to fly lypo vs. nitro in my 90 size helicopter, I switched and Have never looked back. All of my heli's are now Lypo
    3x the HP with eclectic vs. nitro in a 90 size heli.
    I tried gasoline airplanes, the motors RPM are too slow for my style of flying.
    I am building and electric revolver, I have the 70 Nitro Revolver now, since it came out.
    I have a pile of 6S Lipos
    The Turnigy Nano Tech’s from the USA warehouse at Hobby King have been the best value for me.
    I pound the Nano’s in my Motley Crew, Revolt 30, UL-1, Spartan, 65-130 C and you can charge them at 10C
    I have switched all of my 30 size and smaller planes to Lypo. 6 minute flight times and 10 minutes to charge them

Sounds great Hobbyman, but I am just curious as to their service life, or total cycles under real use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hobby, what equipment are you using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hobby_man

I am building a Electric Revolver 50cc size

When I figured out how much cheaper to fly lypo vs. nitro in my 90 size helicopter, I switched and Have never looked back. All of my heli's are now Lypo
    3x the HP with eclectic vs. nitro in a 90 size heli.
    I tried gasoline airplanes, the motors RPM are too slow for my style of flying.
    I am building and electric revolver, I have the 70 Nitro Revolver now, since it came out.
    I have a pile of 6S Lipos
    The Turnigy Nano Tech’s from the USA warehouse at Hobby King have been the best value for me.
    I pound the Nano’s in my Motley Crew, Revolt 30, UL-1, Spartan, 65-130 C and you can charge them at 10C
    I have switched all of my 30 size and smaller planes to Lypo. 6 minute flight times and 10 minutes to charge them
    This is an area where I find interesting. Each power choice has pros and cons. One thing I have noticed about flying electrics is that I am flying while guys are charging unless they have three or four batteries. Even then they have to charge one if they fly too long and don't start the charge. They usually bring generators or charge from their cars/vans, etc. Cases with chargers, batteries, and wires are laying everywhere just for a couple hours flying.

I have flown electrics, nitro, and gas and have stuck mostly to gassers. I have three gassers and sometimes a nitro I normally take to the field and I don't have to charge anything at the field and I can fly until I am tired without even bothering with charging. I don't have to carry a generator or other additional batteries so I don't have gobs of field equipment laying around. I don't have to be concerned bout running the battery down on my vehicle.

Another thing I have found that I don't like about flying my electrics is the sound. I prefer the solid sound of the gas engine. The one real plus with electrics I do like is that I can have a small electric with me and pretty much fly it anywhere and I think this is a great "pro" for electrics. Where I normally fly though it does not benefit me as much to have an electric.

Electrics do have their place though, yet not as many in my fleet anymore (too many batteries!). [8D]

I would guess electrics make alot of sense in the 46 size or smaller. The guys I fly with are all about 50cc and higher and they like just bringing the plane, gas can and transmitter. Of course a 50cc plane is not as simple to transport as the smaller glow planes. Seams like the Rev 70/20cc gas has been a great compromise.

With the increased popularity of small PNP electrics, trying to find an unoccupied electrical outlet at our field has become a challenge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

I would guess electrics make alot of sense in the 46 size or smaller. The guys I fly with are all about 50cc and higher and they like just bringing the plane, gas can and transmitter. Of course a 50cc plane is not as simple to transport as the smaller glow planes. Seams like the Rev 70/20cc gas has been a great compromise.

With the increased popularity of small PNP electrics, trying to find an unoccupied electrical outlet at our field has become a challenge.
    Good post - I agree that the smaller planes are prime candidates. A month or so ago I saw a neat little electric bipe. I think it was a mock of "The Beast" bipe and the thing flew like unreal. It was windy and that little plane flew as well as some of the larger planes. Something like that is a lot of fun and perfect for electric. Have it charged up and a couple batteries, pop it out of the car, and fly it about anywhere you can imagine.

Thanks Luchnia, Horizon Hobbies makes a micro Beast, which has something like a gyro in it to stabalize the flight under adverse conditions. It really is phenominal.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I was able to maiden the R90 today. If you like the R70 you will like the R90. I only had five flights and although I was working with a new engine that was not broken in, I was able to mix in a little inverted, flat spins, rolls, snaps and just a wee bit of hovering. The R90 handles all the mentioned maneuvers well and does not fly heavy as the advertised weight suggest.During flight the R90 is very predictable but has a very fast roll rate on higher rates. Landings are fairly easy but require a bit more room to land than other 50cc planes I've flown.

All in all I will say its a good plane for all around sport flying. One thing I have to mention, the landing gear is not up to the task. Unfortunately they suffer from the same support issues that plague the rest of the revolver line. On my last flight I had a dead stick that resulted in the a forced and somewhat hot landing. The plane landed nicely on the runway, but continued to roll off the paved run way on to the gopher hole riddled grass area at which point the landing gear support sheared off as if it was constructed with tissue paper.Other than that small short coming I believe Revolver lovers will be happy with the plane. I hope to have her back in the air on Friday. I will of course update this post after I get a few more flights logged.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spridal -

Congrats on your maiden! Are you the first civiilian (on this thread, anyway) who's flown the Rev 90? Sounds like a good report, and you weren't shy to put the plane through some paces. Handing and landing characteristics sound good. Too bad about the weak gear, but not a shocker. Do you know how you're going to reinforce the gear? (when I get one I'll probably replace the gear with one that allows for a four-square bolt formation). I take it that the DLE 55 was good power? (since you hovered...)

Any pics of your Rev 90 in the field?

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Spridal -

Congrats on your maiden! Are you the first civiilian (on this thread, anyway) who's flown the Rev 90? Sounds like a good report, and you weren't shy to put the plane through some paces. Handing and landing characteristics sound good. Too bad about the weak gear, but not a shocker. Do you know how you're going to reinforce the gear? (when I get one I'll probably replace the gear with one that allows for a four-square bolt formation). I take it that the DLE 55 was good power? (since you hovered...)

Any pics of your Rev 90 in the field?

Mike
    I am not sure what I will need to do to fix the structure. Luckily it was a pretty clean rip and did not destroy the bulk head. The DLE 55RA has plenty of power. I'm using a 22x10 Xoar wood prop and can get more speed if I went with a smaller diameter prop.

Hi Micro, Hope you faired ok with Sandy. The scenes on TV are gut wrenching. Reminds me of Hurricane Andrew. Stay safe.

Spridal, Look forward to some video; especially a flat spin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Micro, Hope you faired ok with Sandy. The scenes on TV are gut wrenching. Reminds me of Hurricane Andrew. Stay safe.

Spridal, Look forward to some video; especially a flat spin.
    Sure thing! As soon as Iget her back in the air Iwill try to get some vids. She flats spins just as easy as the R46.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a 46" Revolver out now?? Ha.

S&S - I was very lucky in the storm - didn't lose power (though power did cut out for a second or two and then came back on 9 times in one hour during the height). Most of Long Island is still without power. Unreal water damage to the subways, etc. And Jersey - wow. Makes you wonder how often this type of "100 year storm" will be visiting us again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the bold, couldn't possibly agree more. Comparatively inexpensive, sturdy, capable flyer, easy to handle and transport. It's my "go to" plane that's flown 10 times for every time I fly any of my larger (and just as capable) planes. The only thing that comes close as far as "go to" for me is a 20cc profile.

Good to hear Micro. The damage and grief of this storm cannot be overstated. After living through Wilma and Andrew, all should be encouraged to keep the East Coast in our prayers. Kind of puts everything else in a new perspective.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And it ALSO helps us appreciate good flying weather!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

microdon2;
    Happy to hear that you and your family are okay. Looking at the news and see pictures of what happen in N.J was a shock!! But back to the R90, I see we have one flight report and was not shock to see they did not fix the landing gear problem. So that area will be the first thing I will mod right off the bat. The R90 is sitting on the top shelf in the work shop waiting for the DLE 55RA to come in-stock at Tower Hobbies!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spridal;
    Congrat on the maiden flight and thanks for the flight report. I can see from your report that the landing gear is still a big problem!!
    Thanks again for your report and get your R90 back in the air soon!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congrat's on your maiden! Mine will be on Saturday. Just finished up the final check out and the balance. I was supprised as it was spot on at 7 7/8's which is the recommended CG. Usually I would have to add or move something here or there but this time it hit it on the mark. It will balance level and just set there. With fuel in it it will be perfect!
    Here are a couple more photos of my linkage setup on the tail. On my last post I checked the throws on the elevators to make sure they were assymetrical and they were. I think I misstated the position of the control linkage. As you can see I am at the 3rd hole on the arm and the middle of the control horn (1 1/4" arms). This still gives some whopping throws possible as they are. However I have tamed it down on low and high rates until I see how predictable it is. I hope my maiden goes as well all except the landing gear. We at West Alabama Aero Modelers in Tuscaloosa Alabama have a large beautiful sod grass runway. I think it is one of the nicest fields I have flown and possibly a llittle prejudiced by being a member but you can't beat bathrooms with A/C!
    Anyway enjoy the photos and I will take photos and a video of the maiden and flights after. If it only flies half as good as it looks I will be pleased, but I know it will be a great bird! Wish me well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63467.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	1816731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17456.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	1816732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68849.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	1816733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87102.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	1816734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mx22920.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	1816735  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Du21443.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	1816736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv40412.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	1816737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vu69474.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	1816738  
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks awful pretty!! Looking forward to your maiden report \ video.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I fixed the landing gear and was able to sneak in one good flight before the sun decided to set. I said it before but I have to say it again. The R90 floats incredibly well. If I didn't know any better I would swear that it was a 16lb airplane. The DLE 55RA slings the R90 into the air with ease. Take offs require very little runway and effort. She floats so well that I was able to fly her at slow walking pace without a hint of wing drop...it was unreal.

I would highly recommend finding some way to get glue into the gear mounting area. After removing the damaged wood and covering I found a small amount of glue, and no glue in some areas. I guess it was a good thing that it did fail as it gave me a chance to make it right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

edwal thanks for the photos. The elevator servos are certainly an interesting setup. Sort of reminds me of the Funtana X100 except the Funtana has them further in front of the elevators. On the Rev 90 the one is really close to the stab. Nice looking bird [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed
    Nice work all around.

The only thing I see, and you probably already took care of it, is to tighten the lock nuts on the elevator linkages, and add a drop of blue locktite.

Business travel has kept me out of the shop, so mine will be at least a week or more in build before I can maiden. As others have stated, I'm interested in the flight reports. Sounds like the R90 is more akin to the R70 than the R59.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Ed
    Nice work all around.

The only thing I see, and you probably already took care of it, is to tighten the lock nuts on the elevator linkages, and add a drop of blue locktite.

Business travel has kept me out of the shop, so mine will be at least a week or more in build before I can maiden. As others have stated, I'm interested in the flight reports. Sounds like the R90 is more akin to the R70 than the R59.

Thanks WJ,
    The locknuts were the last thing to tighten as the final throws were not set and I wanted to make sure both elevators were copying each other. I am really anxious after reading the flight reports so far and looking forward to the maiden.
    Also if you check the tech notes on Tower you will see a mention of the correction on page 15 of the instructions and the note to glue anything that looks suspicious. That is because of the email I sent them on the misprint they had. And guess what? They sent me a CA gift pack and 2 packages of CA tips! Now that is customer service! I didn't expect anything from them except to make sure everyone knew the drill size was wrong and my servo mounting plate was loose inside the fuse when it arrived. I have read a few bashings of Tower, however I have been a customer since 1972 with no complaints. Please don't respond with negative replies as this is not the place to do that. I just wanted you guys to know and that's that!
    Looking forward to tomorrow! Will update once I get home from the field!
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was able to get five more flights yesterday. The R90 is such a great all around plane. Simply put it is a joy. I will try to get the promised video to you guys.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast