Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

Spridal - your "it is a joy" comment is making it hard to resist pulling the trigger!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Spridal - your ''it is a joy'' comment is making it hard to resist pulling the trigger!
    microden2,
    Go ahead and pull the trigger!! I won't tell!!!
    If you are marry, just tell the wife, you found it laying on the side of the road!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And she followed you home
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks - I'll keep those excuses in my back pocket, if I ever get married. Of course, any more planes in my apartment and I will NEVER get married...

Oh what a tangled web...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys,where do I start? She was in the trailer last night ready to go, got up this morning and hit the road to the field. The weather was picture perfect about 69 degrees with a light wind, clear skies. Out of the trailer I heard, man, nice, looks good, and sleek! Assembly time very minimal. Preflight. Fuel. Radio check. ALLGOOD! Engine took a few minutes to start as it has been sitting up a few months but fired off perfect and was already tuned so no needles or adjusting. Sound check (this is a new procedure at our field to maintain neighbor relations) 93db at 20ft WOT and was told our meter reads a couple decibles high so we are well below the 96db threshold! This is a DLA56 on a pitts with shortened pipes.
    Recheck on flight controls. Taxi out to the runway and hit the throttle. Excellent response and thirty feet later airborne! Excellent power, great climb out. Good trim 3 clicks on the elevators and 1 click on the ailerons, none on rudder. Once trimmed we put her thru her paces, stall turns, cuban eights, inside and outside loops, blenders, spins, knife edges, and snap rolls.She snaps great, and the knife edges are crisp and clean with no tendancy to pull either to the gear orcanopy.I was extremely pleased and she is steady and solid. Floats like a butterfly, however on landing keep your speed as she tends to be mushy if you get to slow but nothing to be alarmed about. Stall is straight ahead with no wing drops in either direction. On a few touch and go's she just wanted to get back in the air, excellent lift and flyability!
    I am extremely pleased. My best friend and test pilot (retired real time pilot) had nothing but praise. I have a video of the maiden and his remarks at the end! Here are the photos I took today and hopefully can upload the video later. Enjoy, and by the way, if you are thinking of pulling the trigger on this one, fire away, it is a truly awesome plane! 5 flights todayon the Revolver and 4 on my Aeroworks Extra, overall an excellent flying day at WAAM in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. ROLLTIDE!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87769.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	1817380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38031.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	1817381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk16249.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1817382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys49446.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	1817383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do80873.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	1817384  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Md52971.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1817385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Su35353.jpg 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1817386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cb93512.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	1817387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ji77760.jpg 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	1817388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fr81030.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1817389  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wc24966.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1817390  
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Itchy... very itchy...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yayyyyy, awesome pics. Please post the video[X(]
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where is the video

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed
    Thanks for the report
    How did she do on the vertical upline - unlimited, spirted, sluggish? How did you find the dynamic CG?

BTW, great SEC game last night; one must concede that Bama deserves their #1 ranking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed.
    Thanks for the flight report!!! Also a big thanks for the sound report. I hope to have the same at my field. Can not wait to see the video. From your report, it sound like she did everything that was ask of her!! That was good to her you got 5 flight out of her and the landing gear did not leave the plane!!! This will be a keeper and I can not wait to get my R90 up and flying!!!
    Again, co-grat on the maiden flight and thanks for the report!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Ed
    Thanks for the report
    How did she do on the vertical upline - unlimited, spirted, sluggish? How did you find the dynamic CG?

BTW, great SEC game last night; one must concede that Bama deserves their #1 ranking.

The vertical was straight up, no pull, no push, and spirited with the DLA I don't know about unlimited as I rolled it over once it got to the speck size. The CG for me is perfect, inverted needs almost no elevator, I mean maybe a touch but no more it stayed level for a long ways before I even touched the elevator. For me and my style of flying it is perfect. I was amazed at how well it held it's line on landing and three pointers are routine. She really likes to fly and floats, once on the ground she will take back off if you aren't careful before the speed bleeds off. I would think it would be worse on paved runways as it rolls forever.
    I am having trouble with the video so give me a couple days and I will get it posted as soon as possible.
    Thanks guys!
    Also as soon as RCU gets the Revolver 50cc loaded in its databaseI will do a review!

As far as Alabama goes, I was a tad worried toward the end, but Bama knows how to pull it together when things go bad! My wife is from Oregon and the Ducks are now #2 so if it comes down to the BCS Championship what am I gonna do? My daughters went to U of O so I may have to bite the big one if that happens! Can you say, between a rock and a hard place!
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed,
    Glad to hear you like it as much as do. My favorite plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spridal

Ed,
    Glad to hear you like it as much as do. My favorite plane.
    Thanks Spridal!
    I was impressed and so were many at the field. My best flying buddy, my test pilot, really liked it too. I have tried to get the video posted, however I cannot access just that one chapter as I recorded it with my Canon DVD Recorder. You can access the 1st chapter but none of the others I took that day. It will play from beginning to end on my computer but cannot seperate them. Oh well. Will do another next weekend.
    I do think we have a winner here. The DLA is doing a fine job but still not broken in yet. Couple more gallons and she should be right. Tad on the rich side. Frank did some beautiful 4 point rolls and she held the line like a champ. The stall is straight forward. No sliding off or other problems. The CG is perfect at 7 7/8" for my style of flying. Inverted is a no brainer, almost like normal flight. I love the way it holds its course, you put it where you want it and it will stay there. The turns are excellent, no rudder and very little elevator and it stays put all the way thru the turn. Nice is all I can say. I have alot of planes but this one will be one of the front runners when I try and decide which one I want to take to the field.
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

edwal07 thanks for the flite report I really like this plane and good price to

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ihave a few tips while building Iwould like to share.

1. Usethinned Epoxyto coat the landing gear plate. My ARF was not glued properly in that area.
    2. Use CA (carefully) around the blind nuts on the canopy.
    3. Use CA around the female inserts where the bottom of the cowl attaches to the fuselage.
    4. Mount all bolts on spinner before you begin to tighten them down.
    5. Don't skip balancing the spinner. My spinner was really out of balance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spridal

Ihave a few tips while building Iwould like to share.

1. Usethinned Epoxyto coat the landing gear plate. My ARF was not glued properly in that area.
    2. Use CA (carefully) around the blind nuts on the canopy.
    3. Use CA around the female inserts where the bottom of the cowl attaches to the fuselage.
    4. Mount all bolts on spinner before you begin to tighten them down.
    5. Don't skip balancing the spinner. My spinner was really out of balance.

Excellent advice! I would also add these:
    1. Use CA all along the servo/battery/receiver mounting plate as mine was loose in the fuse.
    2. Mount your throttle servo in the motor box for a straight shot to the carb, the setup they use would be fine for a 60 but not on gassers.
    3. Use a piece of 4-40 control rod and run it forward to the right side cowl opening for your choke rod.
    4. Update your control horns and control rods if possible. I used the set from the Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate and the rods (6) work perfect for the ailerons, elevators, rudder, and throttle linkage. The hardware set was 65.00 direct from Aeroworks when Ibought them and that includes horns, rods, ball links, screws etc. That is a great deal. It would be way more if you purchased it seperately from somewhere else. 1 1/4" SWB control arms are perfect also!
    5. Mount a DLE 55RA with a Pitts muffler so no cutting is required on the side of the cowl.
    6. Ensure you have enough cooling air exit, I cut the cowl alittle deeper toward the back past the pitts pipes and also cut3 chevrons behind that opening for better airflow.

And last but not least: This is a fine aircraft and flies beautifully! A definite keeper in my book!
    Ed Waldrop

edwal07

I just purchased a 50cc Revolver from my LHS and I am planning on using a DLE 55 RA, and I was wondering if you have any suggestions for the Pitts muffler. I really like the clean looks of the uncut cowl.

Bill from Orlando

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: billberry189

edwal07

I just purchased a 50cc Revolver from my LHS and I am planning on using a DLE 55 RA, and I was wondering if you have any suggestions for the Pitts muffler. I really like the clean looks of the uncut cowl.

Bill from Orlando
    The Pittswhich comes with the DLE 55 RA would require no side cutting of the cowl as it tucks behind the engine.Just make sure you add plenty ofroom for air flow on the bottom. Only the side exhaust DLE or DLA would require the cutting as I had to do with the DLA! If I getthe DLE RA at alater time I will order another cowl. But actuallythe way I cut it dosen't distract that much and still looks ok but the uncut cowl looks fantastic.I am sure you will love the flight characteristics of this plane. I have had nothing but good praise and comments fromeveryone at the field who has flown it or watched it fly. I feel very comfortable flying it and it does everything I ask of it. It is so smooth in the turns and has no bad tendencies I have encountered so far. The stall is straight ahead and very easy to land. Hope you enjoy. Let me know how it turns out. Hope that answers your question. If not let me know. I will help anyway I can. ILOVEMINE!
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ed
    I just started my build. I am impressed with the covering - very few wrinkles. The hinging has been well done on mine, with virtually no gap (I'll seal them anyway). I might have added a double hinge at the outboard and inboard ends of the ailerons had I been doing the hinging, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to cut them out and re-do it. I may add an extra hinge point on the rudder.

The main LG block is not well engineered, with a short fore-aft distance and lots of leverage on it from the main LG. I'll take the recommentation to add epoxy down there, but it would not surprise me if additional reinforcement is necessary for those of us who fly from grass. I'll wait for the failure, rather than doing structural mods right away.

Like many, I always reglue structurals with medium CA, as recommended above, and I plan to pin the firewall, and use AW control surface hardware.

I used soldered-in wire for aileron (and elevator) servos, rather than plug-in extensions, but that is personal preference.

I'm eager to get her finished and in the air.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill,
    I too was impressed with the "out of the box" condition of the model. The more I removed the happier I was! I fly from a grass runway at WAAM and so far after 15 flights have not had any problem with a couple of good bounces thrown in due to windy conditions but nothing so far. I have been thoroughly pleased. I really like the AW hardware. I also put it on a 29% Pitts I have and I love the adjustability of the control rods.
    Hope yours turns out as well as mine. Please keep us posted and take a few pics as you go along. Still waiting on RCU to update the database so I can post the review!
    Ed
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speaking of, has there been an "official" review of the Rev 90 published in any of the trade mags yet?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not that I am aware of!
    Ed Waldrop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: billberry189

edwal07

Bill from Orlando

You will not need to purchase a pitts muffler. I'm using the stock muffler that comes with the DLE 55RA and it fits perfectly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spridal, Did you have to add any weight to the nose, using the DLE 55 RA? The stock muffler is 5 to 6 ounces lighter than most Pitts (inverted rap around) mufflers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Spridal, Did you have to add any weight to the nose, using the DLE 55 RA? The stock muffler is 5 to 6 ounces lighter than most Pitts (inverted rap around) mufflers.

I did not have to add any weight. With the battery close to the wing tube it balanced perfect for me.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast