Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50CC REVOLVER!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50CC REVOLVER!!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 AM
ToolJoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1FastMopar,

The 50cc revolver is a great, mild mannered honest airplane capable of scale type aerobatics, and doesn't mind some substantial wind. Though there has been some testimony recorded here about wild acro, tearing the engine lose, etc. I never pushed mine that hard. I've never seen the wings pounded on a stick of any type due to aerodynamic stress either. Based on my experience, I don't think a Revolver will break in the air, take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Everyone,
Well after a whole year of not buying the 50cc Revolver, I just pickup one from Tower Hobbies. For power, I will be using the DLE 55RA cc engine. Now to read this thread for all the good info that has been posted on this bird!!!
I did have the small and large revolver and love them. I may have to pick them up again and put them on the shelf, before they stop making them!!!
Thanks to everyone who have post info here!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-06-2014, 04:33 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jet22b, I did the same thing with my Revolver after I ripped off the monokote and created my own color scheme. The DLE 55ra when on without a hitch. Can't wait to maiden the puppy. Cold and wet and below 40 deg doesn't make me happy around here. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0915.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	2052716   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0916.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	2052717  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:00 PM
jet22b

redtail;
Your Revolver looks great. I love your colors.
I see by your location, you are in Alexandria, VA. I grew up in Petersburg, VA. That was many years ago and I know how cold that place can get!!!
Good luck on your maiden flight and let us know how it went!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will do. Show photos of your build in case you have something to teach all of us. Chic
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM
iflyfloats
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,
I just started putting my Revolver together this weekend, I've had it for a couple of years and have slowly been getting everything needed to complete it. If my memory serves me right I read about some landing gear mods
to strengthen the structure that the gear is fastened to, any suggestions would be very welcome. My home field is rough by comparison to club fields that I have flown off.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

There two methods and two area's to do this. I prefer to tie the two piece's together using a metal strap and all painted white to look good. The landing gear block needs to be tied to the firewall better to avoid shearing the gear backwards when coming against an optical like an ant hill or even tall grass. The easiest way is to use bamboo or 1/8 wood dowels. Just drill a series of holes at a 45 degree angle from the front of the firewall back, at a downward angle to pin the LG block to the firewall. The LG block is so close to the bottom of the firewall that it doesn't take much force to rip it out. I still have my 50cc Revolver and after two years the gear has never given me a problem. My first 70 inch revolver is similar, and the gear came off easily before I did the modification

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2068007  
Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
jet22b

Originally Posted by iflyfloats
Hi all,
I just started putting my Revolver together this weekend, I've had it for a couple of years and have slowly been getting everything needed to complete it. If my memory serves me right I read about some landing gear mods
to strengthen the structure that the gear is fastened to, any suggestions would be very welcome. My home field is rough by comparison to club fields that I have flown off.
Here is a link to a build thread!!
Lot of good info there!!
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78507
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Has anyone flown the 50cc Rev (aka, Rev90) on skis yet? I'm in Queens, NY, and just had my first ski-fly on Sunday with one of my Rev 59's. Love flying off of snow. We're just now getting dumped on - reports are 2-3 feet of snow by tomorrow night and winds up to 70mph (i.e., NOT good flying weather), so we'll have snow on the ground for a while (which makes me happy). The largest RC skis I've seen online are the aluminum ones from Maiden Model Products. Will be flying a Rev 70 and one other plane (tbd) on skis this Saturday. Attached is a picture of "Basecamp 1" from Sunday morning, and another of the Rev 59 (clouds were blocking the sun, so looks dark)

Name:	Basecamp 1.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2068055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rev 59 on snow.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2068056  
Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM
jet22b

Hey microdon2;
What is that white stuff on the ground?? Here in the Great Northwest our snow pack is very low and they are talking about using less water for the summer!!
Today we had a high temp of 65 degs and my flying field was pack!! Last year at this time we where in the man cave building!!!
My Rev90 is almost done, so I may have to do the ski thing latter!!!
Have fun the snow and keep your fingers warms!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-30-2015, 07:30 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

jett22 - We just got another foot of snow (the white stuff on the ground) on Tuesday, and it's staying cold, so not melting. Will be too windy tomorrow, but Sunday weather looks good. Will have my Rev 70 \ DLE 20 fixed by then and on skis! And also my CG Sukhoi \ DLE 30. It'll be an "all DLE on skis" day!

Will be my flying buddy's first time flying off of snow - that should be fun to watch, too! (I'm always trying to pull others to the "dark side" - cold-weather flying..)
Old 04-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Stick2000

Finally got around to starting my Revolver. I was pleased to find the LG area has been fortified.
The plywood plate is keyed into the firewall and a bulk head at the rear. 45 deg. bracing on
all 4 sides along with dowel pining. This should keep the gear from breaking loose on
normal to hard landings. I'll give a report after its in service .
Old 04-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Please do keep us posted. It would be great if they really did something substantive to heal that mess. I think the issue has been a lack of any vertical meaningful structure to distribute that shear force from the plate upward into the firewall or engine box. It's just bizarre how so many thousands of those things have been out in the field on so many different aircraft. Great Planes isn't the only designer/manufacturer to miss on which direction the actual load transfer takes place.... Amazing, really...
Old 04-20-2015, 03:46 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

GP does listen and respond to our complaints, it just takes some time. The GP giant Citabria had a LG problem. Once GP realized this they did take giant steps to resolve it. The same with the giant Revolver. Mine is about 2 and a half years old now. I have rebuilt the motor, replaced the tires and it still looks and fly's great. The LG with the fix has held up. But I cant remember the last time I had a hard landing.
The only three things I did not use from this ARF is the fuel tank and spinner and tail wheel assy. The fuel tank is a monster and too heavy. 500ml is all that is needed. On the spinner one screw at one end came out. The result was the metal pealing back and ripping into the spinner. The tail wheel would bend too easy. Im guessing it was not tempered properly. If my Revolver were to need replacing I would buy another for sure.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:51 PM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

To anyone who has been following this thread and who has experience with the R55cc and other similar models.....How does this plane compare to other similar planes in quality, performance, stable flight, etc...from other manufactures such as Aeroworks, Pilot RC, etc. Thanks