Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

My club has a 95db noise limit. Fairly tough even for some mid-sized nitros to get 95db or less.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sbach342Guy

The regular ''muffler'' on he DLE-55 is really just an exhaust diverter as well. It's really loud. My DLE-30 would be over 100db if I wasn't using a canister muffler.
    Most of the DLE engines are very loud as they are mostly just open exhaust. Both of my DLE 30s are loud. I would think it would be easy fabricating something to go in the pipe for a slight decrease in sound and would be inexpensive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

common WJ, we want to see pictures, pleaseeeeeeee
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys
    I unboxed the R90 today; will try to get some pics tomorrow evening.
    The 7954SH servos, LiFe batteries, NiMH ignition batter, optical kill, switches, props, receiver are all here ready to go.

1 - my cowl is badly chipped, but i expect that Tower will make that right.
    2 - the pics on the website do not do it justice. It really presents well. It looks much different than the R59; i have seen both. The blue and orange really set off against the red and white. I was not particularly enthusiastic about the color scheme as i saw it on the web. In person it is a very attractive bird.
    3 - the distinction of the top and undersurfaces of the wings and hstab is very clean; looks like a larger R70 in that regard, with horizontal striping along the midchord line of the underside surfaces, root->tip. Maintaining orientation should be easy, just like the R70.
    4 - the spinner is huge; looks nice

When I really start building, I'll begin a build thread; i will not clutter this one.
    BTW, I have an idea about quieting the DLE55RA exhaust diverter; initial feasibility testing looks OK. If it actually works, I'll let you know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Hi Guys
    I unboxed the R90 today; will try to get some pics tomorrow evening.
    The 7954SH servos, LiFe batteries, NiMH ignition batter, optical kill, switches, props, receiver are all here ready to go.

1 - my cowl is badly chipped, but i expect that Tower will make that right.
    2 - the pics on the website do not do it justice. It really presents well. It looks much different than the R59; i have seen both. The blue and orange really set off against the red and white. I was not particularly enthusiastic about the color scheme as i saw it on the web. In person it is a very attractive bird.
    3 - the distinction of the top and undersurfaces of the wings and hstab is very clean; looks like a larger R70 in that regard, with horizontal striping along the midchord line of the underside surfaces, root->tip. Maintaining orientation should be easy, just like the R70.
    4 - the spinner is huge; looks nice

When I really start building, I'll begin a build thread; i will not clutter this one.
    BTW, I have an idea about quieting the DLE55RA exhaust diverter; initial feasibility testing looks OK. If it actually works, I'll let you know.
    Thanks, good update [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone tried those TBM silencers yet? From the video they do cut noise, but also some RPM. Do Pitts mufflers cut RPM down at all?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking the $85 surcharge is a bait and switch, free shipping on orders over $150 with a $9.99 membership fee is reasonable but the $85 surcharge is bogus, I was ready to order one till I saw that, kinda reminds me of the stuff you see on FlEbay $100 for a $400 item but with $400 shipping ?????????? sorry Tower but that horse has already been whipped to death better luck next time !!!! We all know these come shipped to us in the same double box they are shipped to you in sorry but $85 to print a shipping label seems a bit pricey to me
    \"Q\" If you could have one super power what would it be?
    \"A\" The ability to leap tall blondes without them screaming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

warbird addict - I have yet to order any 90" winged planes, but isn't that a pretty reasonable charge for shipping a plane of this size? Don't other sites charge about the same or more? (that is my impression, but I'm also genuinely asking).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

not *****ing but the page says free shipping with a renewed membership, the fact that they are indeed charging $85 for shipping and calling it handling charge is a bait and switch as they are merely printing a shipping label for $85 if the shipping is free as they say it is ,thats all I'm saying, I REALLY don't like that deceitful nonsense as it preys on those who don't read and comprehend what they are reading

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

I'm thinking the $85 surcharge is a bait and switch, free shipping on orders over $150 with a $9.99 membership fee is reasonable but the $85 surcharge is bogus, I was ready to order one till I saw that, kinda reminds me of the stuff you see on FlEbay $100 for a $400 item but with $400 shipping ?????????? sorry Tower but that horse has already been whipped to death better luck next time !!!! We all know these come shipped to us in the same double box they are shipped to you in sorry but $85 to print a shipping label seems a bit pricey to me
    The additional $85 shipping fee is not really a bad deal. With my Tower membership and Tower Gold coupons I will be able to get both the big Revolver and a DLE-55 (side exhaust) for about $680. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

That shipping surcharge for large materials has only happened to me twice in 30 years of dealing with Tower.

Speaking of outragous charges. I just bought a couple of custom cabinet hinges online. The hinges were about $6 a pair but the shipping, handling and postage charges were $16.95 !!! OUCH ![:'(][:'(]

Joe M.
    Joe Mamma

There\'s no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I completely agree with you with regard to the fact that usually planes of this size cost around $80 to $100 to get shipped but thats not what they are claiming they claim free shipping on orders over $150 with a renewed membership for $9.99 and STILL charging you $85 for shipping and calling it a handling fee, when in fact the plane gets shipped to you in the same double box it came out of the container in SO for the $85 "handling Fee" all they are doing is printing a shipping label and that is a classic bait and switch and a nifty little slight of hand to sell you a $9.99 membership, sorry but I don't deal well with that crap it's dishonest as all hell and completely misrepresented and Tower should know better than that

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

warbird addict - not to be argumentative, but the 50cc Revolver page does not say "Free Shipping" (as the Rev 70 page does, "Because you're a member - Free Shipping"), but says this:

Shipping Note: Oversized Product, additional shipping charge applies

That does not strike me as "bait and switch". Besides, a shipping charge on a box that size does seem reasonable to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

not *****ing but the page says free shipping with a renewed membership, the fact that they are indeed charging $85 for shipping and calling it handling charge is a bait and switch as they are merely printing a shipping label for $85 if the shipping is free as they say it is ,thats all I'm saying, I REALLY don't like that deceitful nonsense as it preys on those who don't read and comprehend what they are reading

If you think you can get a 50cc plane that has a 89" ws delivered for less .... GOOD LUCK....
    You get 50$ off and no sales tax.... so you are paying 20-30$ for shipping....
    NO ONE ships for less..... Most are a strait 100$.... or MORE....

Been dealing with Tower hobbies for years....They are a strait shooter company,,, w/o any BS...
    They are not misleading anyone.... good grief..... You seem wayyyyy to worked up over something soooo petty
    Perhaps deal with the issue in you life that is really working you up, and you will realize that many things you are so worked up about
    and are thought to be aimed at you... are not!...
    Once you come to your senses, and re-read what you
    have wrote, I have a feeling you will realize you made a mistake....

Shipping fees are atrocious ... deal with it or don't ....

Back to the regular program...
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Sbach342Guy

The regular ''muffler'' on he DLE-55 is really just an exhaust diverter as well. It's really loud. My DLE-30 would be over 100db if I wasn't using a canister muffler.
    100 db ? [X(] Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll need to investigate aftermarket muffler/canisters for both of the different DLE-55's.

Guess my next question is: What kind of a job will it be to fit them onto this big Revolver ?? Hope it doesn't need to be ''butched'' up too bad.

Boy, I'm really jealous of you guys that don't have db noise requirements. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Joe M.

I had asked GP to design there new planes with room for a pipe or can, but it seems that almost NO one would use anything other than a stock muffler or wrap around....
    Something about the cost being 300$ extra for the header and can seemed to put off most, as they paid that for the dle55... and couldn't see paying that much for a exhaust system...

As you read the stock exhuast on any of the DLE engines are a tin can at best.... and sounds horrible.... I love engines, but really dislike the chainsaw sound that is emited from them...
    This includes anything except a can or pipe.... I am a bit jaded that way....

The 50cc reactor didn't have much in options either....

It looks like you could easily make a tunnel in this one.....
    wouldn't even need to box it off.... just cut a hole for intake, and exhuast....
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This kind of stuff is becoming more prevalant these days I took my truck to the garage for a simple Front end alignment for a quoted price of $100 when I got the bill it was $290 the breakdown read like this Alignment $100 Diagnostic Fee was $100 Materials was $90, Really? *** I told you jerks what was wrong and What materials could possibly be needed on a front end alignment ? needless to say they double talked their way out of it by answering my ????'s with yet more ????'s just one more example of yet another bait and switch and a $85 handling fee associated with "FREE" shipping is not a bit different and TOWER WILL be getting a call from me about it , HH tried the same crap with me when I ordered my Big Pawnee oh yeh that was a complete fiasco They sent me a Beta tester invitation for their new site and promised a 10% discount so I spent about 2 hours doing the beta testing for them at which point they sent me the coupon code which was no good when I tried to order the pawnee albeit there was no disclaimer on the Pawnee page saying anything about does not qualify for promotional discount codes 5 months later I finally got the plane with the discount, hey screw it the way I figure it if you don't plan to honor your word then don't open your mouth with some bait and switch advertising nonsense

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kochj

My membership was up for renewal so they sent me a free shipping waived with a purchase over $150 invitation with membership renewal for $9.99 BUT applied an $85 "HANDLING" fee, hate to bust your bubble pal but thats a load of bull***** !!!! not pissed or anything just calling it like I see it, the $$$ is a non issue for me but the principle of the matter IS a BIG issue for me, I DON"T like being lied to or mislead for profit, Now! had Tower said Due to oversized packaging there is an $85 shipping charge then ok it's my call and my decision whether to pay it or not, but to say free shipping and then tack on an $85 "Handling Fee" is Bullsh)t

If you think you can get a 50cc plane that has a 89'' ws delivered for less .... GOOD LUCK....
    You get 50$ off and no sales tax.... so you are paying 20-30$ for shipping....
    NO ONE ships for less..... Most are a strait 100$.... or MORE....

Been dealing with Tower hobbies for years....They are a strait shooter company,,, w/o any BS...
    They are not misleading anyone.... good grief..... You seem wayyyyy to worked up over something soooo petty
    Perhaps deal with the issue in you life that is really working you up, and you will realize that many things you are so worked up about
    and are thought to be aimed at you... are not!...
    Once you come to your senses, and re-read what you
    have wrote, I have a feeling you will realize you made a mistake....

Shipping fees are atrocious ... deal with it or don't ....

Back to the regular program...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EXACTLY the same kind of nonsense Tower is trying to pull, admittedly the page that came up for me given my membership is up for renewal might be different than what others might see given their status as a member however that does not change the fact that all of us given the $ we spend on this hobby are willing to fall victim to marketing scams promising this that or the other thing only to have those promotions negated by calling it somthing else and charging you for it anyway, THATS my issue with Tower at this point, I know when somebody is blowing smoke up my ***** best bet with me is to call it like it is and be straight up!! a spade is a spade and thats that I don't care what anybody else calls it' nobody will ever convince me it's anything other than a spade

The additional $85 shipping fee is not really a bad deal. With my Tower membership and Tower Gold coupons I will be able to get both the big Revolver and a DLE-55 (side exhaust) for about $680. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

That shipping surcharge for large materials has only happened to me twice in 30 years of dealing with Tower.

Speaking of outragous charges. I just bought a couple of custom cabinet hinges online. The hinges were about $6 a pair but the shipping, handling and postage charges were $16.95 !!! OUCH ![:'(][:'(]

Joe M.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I seen the Revolver when the new tower catalog arrived, but had already comitted myself to a
    Aeroworks Pitts Python. I have owned two revolver 59's and love them. My latest runs the Evolution
    .60nx which is in a .46 box. Added a tuned pipe and wow talk about a rocket!

My buddy picked up a new 55ra and the pitts style muffler looks very thin and cheap.
    I hope dle didnt take a dump on this to save a few bucks. The pipes are also very short
    so some may have to add the included (neoprene) pipe extenders.

The engine overall looks great! Should be a hit for the new revolver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Crashed my Rev 59 \ OS 91 4s on Saturday. Bad. It was flying great - plane and engine - a beautiful day (winds 4mph, sunny) - I was doing my usual stunts. At this field - RCRCC in Central Nyack, NY (just west of the Tappan Zee Bridge) (I love this field) - unfortunately, the morning sun is somewhat in your eyes, so you have to be careful. Well, at one point I'm coming around - was flying inverted - the plane was pretty far away and I either took my eye off of it for a second and \ or lost orientation as it passed in front of the sun. Either way I was suddenly guessing about it's orientation, pulled up, and guessed wrong - the plane was still inverted, and, pulling up it now dove towards the ground, at 2/3 throttle. I tried to pull more to pull out of it but the 59 just spun and then plowed right in, just over the edge of the field. When a buddy and I got over there it was not good - the plane had landed smack in the middle of a 10ft wide drainage ditch lined with big rocks. Plane was totaled, including the engine. The crankcase of the OS 91 broke in half, and even the head was broken. I've never seen engine damage like that before. Even the receiver was broken. Considering the size of this field the odds must be 100-1 to land right in that ditch. So I was pretty bummed - it was one of my favorite and best-flying planes and engines, and the crash was completely my fault.

The only part not damaged at all was the tail feathers. When I got home I found an older, also damaged set of Rev 59 wings, and realized I might be able to transplant a section or two from one set to the other to make a complete set. So I ordered a new chassis, cowl, and spinner. And I do have an older OS 91 4s and Futaba receiver I can use. So now I feel a little better.

(just realized I posted this to the 50cc thread instead of the other Revolver thread, where we often share stuff like this - apologies to anyone not interested. btw - no charge for the shipping!).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One way to avoid the $85 shipping fee is to get it from your local hobby shop. When the big P-40 dropped to about $400, the same shipping charge applied. My lhs sold the plane to me for $400, out the door. I did the math, and he easily beat the Tower price, even with the membership discounts.

Best regards.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lifter - I tried that with my LHS - they didn't charge shipping but did charge sales tax. Even with Tower's Super Saver discount, it came out to $4 difference. The reason I'd probably go LHS is for easier pickup (that those huge boxes getting delivered to my office) and to support my LHS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder if they built in the automatic gear separation system that activates on every landing like the 60 and 40 sized ones?  Awesome plane if they would read all the forums and build up the gear to withstand landings. 
    I agree about the covering.  Plane flies incredible so why not give it some cosmetic appearance.  They are easy to lose configuration at a distance.  Spice the thing up and put some gear support in her! 
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

The brown truck delivered yesterday; will start the build sometime next week.
    Yeah.............always nice to see that brown truck coming up the driveway !

Been tossing around getting the big Revolver along with the RA.

You mentioned earlier about using the RA in yours. When you can, please let us all know about any fit issues with the RA.

Joe M.

KEYWORDS Brown Truck, Tossing. If that Brown truck comes down your block, you'll be guaranteed it will will be "tossing" your package out the door at 30 mph. (I had to add that, sorry)
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With that mid fuse canopy location, it has a retro Cap look. I kinda like the look...

Nothing wrong with the color scheme. Heck, at flying distance what matters is large contrasting areas on wings and fuse. The highly detailed schemes (read: super busy)are left toclose up viewing. The price is certainly within reach. The weight is a stopper tho...2-3 pounds heavier than it should be.

Is it available in kit form?
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt
    Agree on the weight - pretty heavy; heavier by 2# than my AW Extra300, and that bird is not lightweight.
    It may need more engine than a 55, but i'm going to try the 55RA, and if it is underpowered, hope that the Mintor 75 twin or something similar is re-released.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast