Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nitro planes tiger moth 120

what is the blance point on this airplane? The instructions show it balanced upside down. I know it should be blanced right side up does anybody know the right C.G not much her on RCU on this airplane thanks michael

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: nitro planes tiger moth 120

I'm guessing at the rear cabanes. This is pretty typical of TM's

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do they show it being done upside down?  Some planes are balanced upside down.  Since it's a Biplane I can see it being done upside down, I would guess it's somewhere near the leading edge of the bottom wing.

I saw a picture of a TM being balanced with string attached to the rear cabanes of the upper wing.  The instructions for my TM show it about 2/3 back from the front of the fake fuel tank.

On the 88" Ecomrc TM the CG is 146mm from the leading edge of the top wing at the fuel tank or about 5.8 inches.

The Hangar 9 Tiger Moth shows 6.5 to 7 inches and is also 88" wing span however this appears to be too far forward, the following is from anothe forum on the H9 TM.

"Guys I have been watching this thread a little and have been concerned about you having to add weight to the nose. I went to a lot of trouble to keep everything up in the nose and the tail as light as possible to ensure you would not have to add nose weight, or in worse cases very little nose weight.

I talked to Dick yesterday and he also had to add a substantial amount of weight. (Nice job on the ballast Dick).

For reference 4 pre production and one production kit was built and flown before we shipped, none had nose weight. As you can imagine how I felt when the first few kits that have been built by consumers we having to add excessive amounts of lead, I was pretty disappointed to say the least.

Well last night I pulled mine down of the wall ( the one I was flying at Joe Nall) and did a C of G check. Sure enough, the numbers in the manual are 1” too far forward. Mine is currently flying at exactly 8” measuring back from the LE of the dummy fuel tank, and I have flown it 3/8” further back than that. So the manual should read, C of G is 7 5/8” – 8 1/4'”.

Guys I sincerely apologize for my error, and I hope this comes as good news as you should be able to remove some if not all the lead from the nose"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you look at all those planes the cg is right around the read of the cabanes on the top wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok the manual says its 4 to 4.5 inches back form the from the leading edge measured at the center of the upper wing section. there is a tech note on nitro planes about the C.G. on this airplane its 2.9/73.5mm back from the leading of the bottom wing and the airplane is balanced upside down if tou go to nitro planes and look up the tiger moth 120 and read the tech update you will see what I mean Ive never balanced a bipe up side down I guess it would work