Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the "Super Cub" graphic cut for mine. Anyone know what size lettering I would need?
Thanks and Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 AM
bikerbc

Ok thanks Bill...I am used to building Sawmills for a living so I might have a tendancy to overbuild....
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 AM
bikerbc

Loopman you might want to contact BarracudaHockey Post#70...He has some information about this of this and invites anyone interested to PM him....
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

LOL I made mine for the 25e Super Cub, I need the dimensions required for it to look right on the 1/4 scale
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM
bikerbc

Sorry
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
roknHS

I started putting mine together..........left wing has a broken rib about center..........piece of it fell out of the wing root. Not bad enough to send it back but, Hangar 9 could use some extra packing on top of the wings in the shipping box.
Would have been nice to have the left and right ailerons labeled.......that would save a little time and confusion. I used clear Gorilla glue for the hinges rather than the epoxy/CA recomendation.
For those that haven't started yet......make sure and use the heat gun and iron on the wing before you attach the ailerons and flaps. The covering is pretty loose and if you expose the corrugated plastic covering on the control surfaces to excess heat it will melt or at least warp. I've heard one report of a toasted aileron. The fit of the flaps and ailerons is quite good once the hinge arrangement is sorted out.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
bikerbc

Rokn HS I also had a broken rib on my left wing , I contacted Horizion and they are sending me a replacment...My winshield was also broken... They did not ask for my broken stuff to be returned which is nice because it saves a lot of time ...My wing looked like it had been stepped on..I thought maybe it had been damaged before it went in the box because the box was in good shape....The covering was also split a little...You are rite...A better packing job would be in order ... I am missing one of the little aileron linkage covers that go on the top of the wing...I only got one...You can't order them...Horizion is trying to figure out how to get one for me...I hope they figure it out..So far Horizion has been fantastic to deal with...If you have a problem call them...They really try to help...If you cant figure somthing out they will sort it out , When something comes broken they will replace it .. I just can't say enough about how well I have been treated so far...And besides that this plane is very precision built...Everything fits perfectly on mine....I am not usually a big ARF fan but this is the best I have ever seen as far as quality goes...All the hardware is top notch , Assembly is clear and strait forward...I am not 100% sure about the landing gear yet but I will say that it is by far the best I have ever seen on an ARF ..Its just that I broke one of my airfoil covers the first time I used it....I probably could have had them replace it by saying it was already broken but they have been so good to me that , Well I just couldn't .... My Ailerons and flaps fit perfectly when they were in the rite sides...I used Epo Grip Epoxy to glue the hinges in...Epo grip when mixed is like Vasiliene...I dosent run...It stays where you put it....It is great for hinging..It dosent get into the hinge , it dosent run out of where you want it...You can form it with a little pick...Once you try it you will never want to use regular epoxy again..It dosent stink either...No I am not a salesman
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

+1 on Epo Grip!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
roknHS

Question??

Why do the aileron servo arms need to be offset from center?? Makes no sense to me..........with the clevis 15mm from the servo drive, the clevis and rod will bind on the servo cover long before the servo reaches full travel. I plan to set my radio up with aileron differential.......I think this offset business is just gonna screw up the works...............or am I thinking about this all wrong??
I'm looking for a Special Needs teacher that has assembled this cub to explain all this.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: roknHS

Question??

Why do the aileron servo arms need to be offset from center?? Makes no sense to me..........with the clevis 15mm from the servo drive, the clevis and rod will bind on the servo cover long before the servo reaches full travel. I plan to set my radio up with aileron differential.......I think this offset business is just gonna screw up the works...............or am I thinking about this all wrong??
I'm looking for a Special Needs teacher that has assembled this cub to explain all this.
I assumed it was just for aileron differential. As long as you set it up in the radio you should be fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM
bikerbc

I got my replacment wing in the mail today complete with aileron and flap and hinges..plus the little cover that was missing from my kit...I am very happy...I did not expect to get the aileron and flap...Horizion is a reliable outfit to deal with for sure...They have my business...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 AM
regalmat

ORIGINAL: G.P.

Question??

I assumed it was just for aileron differential. As long as you set it up in the radio you should be fine.
I had the same question, but with my level of experience I'm just following directions.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
roknHS

Maybe Mr. Brundle will shed some light on this issue when he checks in here..............or another gifted mind may take pity and offer enlightenment............I thought about it all night and I still think it's gonna screw the works. By the way, I'm using Hitec 645's. The manual build uses DS 821's I think. The shape of the servo arm is different.......maybe that has something to do with it................................probably not.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe Mr. Brundle will shed some light on this issue when he checks in here..............or another gifted mind may take pity and offer enlightenment............I thought about it all night and I still think it's gonna screw the works. By the way, I'm using Hitec 645's. The manual build uses DS 821's I think. The shape of the servo arm is different.......maybe that has something to do with it................................probably not.
Off setting a servo arm from 90 deg is just the mechanical way of setting up aileron differential. Servo arm shape doesn't affect anything, just the location of the linkage attach point does.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13002.gif
Views:	193
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	1838912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49801.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1838913  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
roknHS

Kinda figured it had to be differential............and if I'm going to program in differential, changing the servo arm is gonna do nothing but screw things up. So, I'll set this up with the arm at 90% like I usually do, use differential in the radio and all will be as it should.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
CrusaderV8

Hi. I am new to RC Universe and this forum. I purchased this Super Cub back in November. I have the float kit and am waiting for the Saito 1.82 twin to ship - appears it could be a while. I took a careful look at the float design and noticed that it is capable of holding a second servo. I have been attempting to design a scale retractable water rudder but have found this is very difficult to accomplish. Has anyone else had success or attempted anything in this area? Options are very limited for what can be purchased.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
bikerbc

I am not sure if this has been discussed or of anyone is aware but in the manual on page 44 # 7 says to use CA to glue the Green light and they are calling it the left lite....In aircraft the left wing tip light is red , and the right side is green ... Or am I missing something?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Rellic

Hi Ken
I am considering this kit myself so this thread is a good read.
Airplanes are same as boats Starboard Green, Port Red.
Always viewed and related to from sitting behind the controls.
Brian T.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72531.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1839006  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Rellic

The way I was taught this was by always relating from the controls position facing foreword and the number of letters in each word favoring the combination grouped together.
Right (5), Starboard (9), Green (5)
Left (4), Port (4),Red (3).

Brian T.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
bikerbc

Well Hi Brian...This is an Awsome ARF..The best I have seen..I am not an ARF lover but this one is fantastic...The hardware is all good stuff...The landing gear is almost the same as Robarts...I heard Lester bought one... Ya funny about the light thing...They made a mistake in the manual , they are stating that the left wing gets the green light and it should be the other way around...I just thought I would mention it...Good to see you on here...If you get this plane I think you will be happy with it...Well we will have to wait till spring to see how it flys...Untill then it will just look pretty...I was going to put it on floats but after thinking it over I think I will finish my BUSA kit and put it on floats instead...I think it will stand up better...I am not sure about the glue joints if they get wet...I am using a water resistant glue on my BUSA kit...I have a Sig 1/4 scale that I fly every weekend in the summer...It is an awsome plane...I have a OS 120 on it...I am putting a Gemini 160 on my BUSA 1/4 Cub and a G26 on my PA 18...I gave my Saito 180 to Tim for his Rascal That would be a good motor too but I think this G26 might work out okay...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Rellic

Yup Lester has the P18 now and today he received a Saito 180 and the H9 1/4 Floats for the P18. He ordered the light kit for it too and we are bugging him to get it together.
I was with him when he opened the P18 box and I too am impressed with the quality.
Like you Ken I was never an ARF guy but the quality of some of them now just cant be built for the price, so I have a couple.
Still building though, doing a 1/4 BUSA Edo float kit right now and that is a build in itself. I also have a 97" Gee Bee Y that is on and off the bench when the mood hits. I originally thought a year for the Gee Bee but it is in it's second year now and no where near the covering stage yet, I just keep adding the detailing.
Tim was over to see My Rascal and showed Me the Spitfire build, WOW great project. Tim, Myself, Cyril, Greg, and Rory will have to get together this spring and put five Rascals up together. We have had three up together, Five should be more funner.

Brian T.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
bikerbc

Oh now I am gonna have to get one too...I always did like the Rascal....The dogs gonna be warm..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Rellic

Our Dogs will always love us and our toys.

Brian T.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Rellic

Like you are finding with your P18, I found the same in My Rascal 110, it is to date the best built ARF I have ever had, and with the Saito 180 in it WOW.

Brian T.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
bikerbc

Ya my dog will have to share her house if I buy a Rascal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.