Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 AM
roknHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

If you get a heat gun too close to the edges, the covering will pull and expose the wood..............don't heat gun the door! Use an iron on the edges first, then the surface.

I tried both the iron and heat gun...........I like the results from the iron best..........set at 300 degrees F.

Be careful with the N numbers using either heat source.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
bikerbc

Thanks for the tips ..
Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
bikerbc

I called Horizion and asked about the missing curved pieces from my cockpit kit and they are going to ship them to me Monday...He knew what I was talking about rite away...There must be a few kits missing the parts...Horizion has great Customer service....I have not once been disappointed by them so far....Maybe I will wait till spring or early summer to tighten up the covering on my plane..G.P.You might be right about Our Canadian Winter and the humidity difference rite now.. although I bet you are a lot dryer up there than we are here....We are still often close to the plus side of the scale...We are going flying today and it is only minus 3 at the present time...The ceiling is about 1000 ft..The skidooers can get up top in the sun and look down on the valley full of cloud..It is beautifull....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
bikerbc

One of my little airfoil landing gear covers did not fit very well...The one side was fine but the other rubbed no matter how I set it up..I ended up making a shim to space it out about 3/64" .. It is hard to get inside to do it so I epoxyed shims on the little nuts on the struts and then tapped them out after the epoxy set.. Now I have the clearance I need where the strut exits the little cover...What a lot of diddeling around ....I suspect there are more like mine because I broke the first one and the replacement is the same...There is a right and left side and if I put the other side on it fit fine.... I almost left it that way but you could see the screws from the top so I decided to try and find a fix...There are probably better fixes out there...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
roknHS

The landing light box in the leading edge of the wing............needs some finesse to make it look right.

I took a tip from Epoxy Earl and went to the Dollar store and bought a couple of mini flash lights so I could get the reflectors out of them. They had a 3/8 inch flange so I could drill the light plate and insert the flange into the light plate for mounting. Then, I went to the auto parts store and bought some chrome adhesive backed tape. Drilled the light plate for the mini reflectors, put the adhesive chrome tape on the light plate, trimmed out the reflector holes and inserted the reflectors. Also, put chrome tape on each side of the light box on the ribs so, the box is entirely lined with chrome..........the reflectors were already chrome plated of course. The result is a big improvement. Now it looks like it should and the lights are 5X brighter. That blue box really absorbed the light, now it reflects it.

The hole in the light reflectors is a little bigger than the base on the clear lights. I wrapped some strips of masking tape around the base of the light.........just enough so it would fit snug into the reflector. Now, I can glue the clear light in the reflector. Of course the masking tape is hidden in the reflector flange.
Also, I didn't glue the light plate into the box..........I used some screws in case I have to get back in there some time and change lights or what ever.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Ok, so I fired mine up today. Too windy here in Mass. to fly this weekend. I have the Saito 182 twin, I had some trouble at 1st with a leaking Hayes fuel tank. Changed tanks and it fired right up. Tunded both carbs and air bleed screws, idles nice, even without the remote glow. Power is unbelievable. Can't wait to get this plane in the air.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

I ordered some reflectors online. Manafont.com and Deal Extreme are great for flashlight parts among a billion other things. Everything is dirt cheap and shipping is included. It does take a few weeks to get your stuff though.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
bikerbc

I have never had trouble with a Hayes yet but I have always felt like they were awfully close to leaking...Can you tell us how yours was leaking? Did it do any damage to your plane or did you catch it in time? The last thing a person would want inside any one of these ARFs is a tank failure...I had that happen in a Pulse and it ruined the plane...The glue joints take a hit and you can't properly reglue.....I don't know what type of glue they use to put ARF's together but when you soak it with gas it swells up and lets go completly...Even CA dosent work very well because they are made of a sort of hard plywood stuff that CA doesn't stick to .. The only thing that saves them is how they interlock the pieces..That really helps make them strong...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
bikerbc

I went the super Cheapo route on my landing lite ...I covered the baking plate with tin foil (shiny side out ) then made a little cover out of a paper back my wife had . It was glossy deep blue almost black colour...I cut two holes in it 7/8" for the lites too sit in then I glued that over top of the tin foil...I too screwed everything in place with tiny #0 -1/4" screws...It looks a whole lot better than a solid blue plate... Even the little screws add to the realizm ...I bet the flashlite parts would look better though...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
R/C Foolish

There was a hole in the tank...tank came from my spare box and I didn't notice it. Put in new 16oz tank and it runs perfectly. Needed to use dremel to open hole in dash a little, I zip tied all hose connections near carbs, no damage, I knew something was wrong when I saw 1st few drips...

R/C Foolish
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 AM
bikerbc

Well that makes me feel better...I can still trust them then...I like the Hayes because they are so easy to set up..
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
fly360

Mounting of a Saito 182 with servo on fire wall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30900.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1842912  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
bikerbc

I received my new tail wire set in the mail today ..I had split two of the little plastic ends on my last set..They seemed very brittle..With this new set I taped the the holes out.. (2/56) ..What a difference it made...Then I used my heat gun to put a bit of a bend in the ends so that there is no pressure on them at all...I would like to find out where to buy those little plastic ends...They are great for tail wire bracing...I don't recall ever seeing them before...The pkg the new ones came in said Pro Boat on it so maybe the boating community uses them ..I had thought of using metal clevises by just snipping the one side off and drilling the hole out a bit but buying the little plastic ends is probably easier and cheaper...Does anybody know where to get them? Somebody must make them...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

Does the OS/ASP 160 FS Twin fit all inside the cowling?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM
bikerbc

Yes if you look back to page 3 post # 57 The Gemini should fit...I was debating putting my Gemini twin in mine too or buying the ASP 160 but decided to go with the G26 instead...I am Building a BUSA 1/4 Cub and am planning on putting my Gemini in that...The cool thing about the J3 is the heads can stick out of the cowl and it will look just like the real thing...The Super Cub is all enclosed because the cowl is wider .. If you need measurements I can get them for you..I have both the Gemini 160 and the PA18 cowl here...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
bikerbc

Has anybody that has installed the G26 in their Super Cubs done anything to the muffler like shorten the exhaust pipes..They look like they could be cut off a bit which would make it easier to install the cowl...Maybe 3/4" or so...I just wondered if anyone had done this...Plus I was thinking about opening up the vent on the front for more air flow and cooling..You could even glue a screen in there...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
fourthearth

Bikerbc I just got mine last night and found the left wingtip broken and the windshield cracked and the windshield brace knocked loose. The box was in perfect condition, the wing tip looks like someone stepped on it before it was put in the box, just like yours. I am now waiting on Horizon Hobby to reply to my email request for warranty support. I am really bummed out. I already bought the ZP26 electronic ignition gas engine, but now have noticed that it is a little shorter than the magneto version. I going to place all the batteries up under the fuel tank and use a smart-kill fiber-optic kill switch on mine.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
bikerbc

There has got to be something wrong with the way they are packing these things...They were real good with me...There was no argument..I sent them some pictures and proof of purchase and they agreed to replace the parts ..A few days later the parts came in the mail...I ended up paying brokerage fees but I did get to keep the old parts too so all in all I came out ahead...It is disapointing though isnt it ? Dont feel too bad though the rest of the build has gone great...I made a plywood spacer instead of using standoffs on mine...I felt the firewall was a bit soft...By the way Use your phone and talk to somebody at Horizion in person ... Then call again in a day or two to make sure things are on track..Don't trust or wait on Email...I dont know if it help or not but thats what I did and if nothing else it made me feel better ....They really are nice people and try too help...
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 AM
fourthearth

Thanks Bikerbc.

I'll try to give them a call today.

What engine are you putting on yours? I saw that you were using the Zenoah 26... Are you using the magneto version or the electronic ignition? I'll have to use something on the firewall as the electronic ignition Zonoah 26 measures from backplate to prop-mounting face at 137mm and the suggested magneto version is 139mm. On the upside, it looks like the mounting holes are exactly same same demensions on both engines.

Keep posting on your progress. I'll start to post photos, and progress on mine as soon as I get started. I have the ARF kit and the engine, still need to buy the servos, receiver, switches wires etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
bikerbc

I used the magneto version ..It is looking like it is going to balance very close...I have mine almost complete...I am working on the cowl...I have the interior kit to install the windows to put in and the radio to finish installing.. I am waiting on pieces that were missing from my interior kit..The radio is all basicly in and working but just needs final tie down...Oh and I will tighten up the covering later on in the spring...I might still put floats on it too .. What are you planning for servos? I used Hi-tec 645 mg on the ailerons 635's on the rudder 425's on the flaps and throttle..I had to mod the ail servo covers slightly to allow the servos to sit a little deeper inside them otherwise the arms would rub on the holes ..I tried several hi-tec servos and they were all the same..I didn't try the 821's though .. Edit I used 425's on the elevators too..I figured because there was two of them 425's were ample...Its not hard to change them out later if I decide I need bigger ones....There is lots of room to work in this plane...You are going to like it...I am not usually a big fan of ARF's but I really like this one...Hanger 9 had done a fantastic job except for the packaging...Just a piece of bubble wrap of foam or something between the wings would probably do it...Was your covering split? Mine was a wee bit ..I wonder if this damage happens before they go in the box because the box was fine and how could the tip get hurt ?It would take a lot of force to squash the tip...It had me worried because I could not come up with an explanation for how it could have happened...I wonder if they are machiene packed or hand packed..It just seems a weird place for damage..Maybe there is something that picks the wing up by the tip and puts it in the box and can hit the wind shield in the process..There was actually a chunk broken out of mine...I used some scotch tape and taped mine back together , I put the tape on the inside ...You can barley tell it was broken now ...It will work as a spare if I ever need one...Drill a tiny hole rite at the end of your crack and it will stop it from traveling any further , that is if your windshield is worth saving...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
fourthearth

The covering on my wing was ripped open where it was crushed, Talked with Horizon today they are sending me a new wing and windshield, yeah!! I'm not sure on the servos yet, thank you for the update on your servo fit problem, I may go with spectrum or JR. I noticed that the electronic ignition Zanoah has a little shorter head, did you have to cut much off of the cowl to fit the suggested Zanoah magneto version in? There is a picture in the manual that looks like you have to carve up the cowling a bit to fit the engine in.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no differences between the cylinder heads on the repesctive Zenoah engines from Magneto ro ignition. The G26 mag version and ZP26 are teh saem engine, they just have a different source of ignition.

The 20 and 26 differences are more than ignition as they are different sizes and have different heads and cases.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM
pldawg

Always nice to have contributions from horizon on these threads.  Thanks for the input!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
fourthearth

ORIGINAL: John Redman

There are no differences between the cylinder heads on the repesctive Zenoah engines from Magneto ro ignition. The G26 mag version and ZP26 are teh saem engine, they just have a different source of ignition.

The 20 and 26 differences are more than ignition as they are different sizes and have different heads and cases.

Thanks John! I spent a couple of hours comparing the two engines parts diagrams to see if they were the same size, I found some differences but it really does make sense that the two would have the same footprint. I just don't understand why the magneto version cost more.

Again.... THANK YOU to Horizon Hobby and all of the wonderful employees they have. They even helped me on the phone this morning while there fire alarm was blaring in the back ground, how's THAT for service, help the customer even when the building is ablaze haha.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
bikerbc

I am finding that the pattern in the manual for the cowl cut out is very close...If you can follow it you will be okay...Now I am wondering if the muffler pipes can or should be shortened a bit to help get the cowl to slide over it...I would sure make it easier to install the cowl plus would it be a good idea to cut open the vent on the front to allow air in for cooling..You could screen it over with a piece of window screen..Put in on the inside ..I was missing one of the little covers that go over the dummy aileron linkage.. My pkg. only came with one so I called Horizion and they sent me a pkg with two more..Horizion is wonderfull to deal with...I feel like buying another plane ..I am still waiting for my missing pieces from my interior kit...They will be a few more days..Plus there is a little part I broke that I bought I am waiting for too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.