Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Well I didn't cut my pipes off I just opened up the cowl maybe a little bigger than it shows and it is looking like its going to fit fine..Hanger 9 has done a good job.... It looks like there is a little opening on the carb side of the cowl about 1 inch square...I haven't got that far yet and I haven't figured out what its for..Anybody know? I just hate cutting up this beautifull cowl...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished cutting the cowl for a DLE 35 RA........
    And, I didn't get carried away. That was the minimum required..........good by oil cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax73134.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1845175  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: roknHS

Finished cutting the cowl for a DLE 35 RA........
    And, I didn't get carried away. That was the minimum required..........good by oil cooler.
    roknHS,

Dang-it! I hate it when that happens!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DLE 35 is longer than this cub is designed to accomodate.........by more than 1/4 of an inch. So, if no changes are made, the engine is going to stick out of the cowl a lot more than you want. You need to move the cowl ahead but, you can't because the mounting blocks for the cowl aren't really long enough. I added a shaped piece of 1/4 inch ply to the front of each mounting block so I could slip the cowl ahead enough to get the proper cowl/spinner seperation. Turned out pretty good...........

Name:	Xv64935.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	1845182  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Job rokn HS
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want to put a rear carb gas engine on this cub you are going to have some character building moments.........because the fuel tank goes in the center of the firewall and obstructs easy access to the carb linkage. I won't go into all the various issues that make the servo linkage near impossible or all the different scenarios I explored to get this done........you'll find out for yourself when the time comes.
    I finally decided to put a 6-32 extension on the throttle shaft with a control arm out on the end. I mounted a Mini Hitec HS-65mg servo on the firewall, under the upper left cowl mounting block. The throttle shaft extension gets the control arm out away from the carb so you can get at it with a more straight shot from the servo. It is still a tight fit..........My control rod is 1 1/8 inch from the ball link on the throttle to the servo arm.

The only concern I have is how long the servo is gonna hold up to the vibration............probably more than the servos in the fuselage have to endure. These 65mg servos are really tough.......most widely used on 450 electric helis............they are subjected to all kinds of carnage and still seem to survive the majority of near death experiences.
    I haven't run the motor yet so, I don't know how much vibration will be generated. I'll do my part with prop balancing.

Anyway, I think the easiest way to get this job done with a rear carb engine is to put an extension on the throttle shaft and mount a small metal gear servo on the firewall.......your mileage may vary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have run into this same issue on the DLE20 and the DLE30 with their rear carbs but I found on my last mounts that I could sneek my carb cable under and around the fuel tank and use the semi flexable nyrod...And leave the tank in the stock location..This was on a spacewalker...I did a Pulse too and found the same thing...I really dont care for the rear mount carb for this reason..It is difficult get nice smooth carb and choke linkages...It sounds like you have found your own way of solving the problem..Do you have a way to post a pic? I would like to see your solution in case I want to copy it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have run into this same issue on the DLE20 and the DLE30 with their rear carbs but I found on my last mounts that I could sneek my carb cable under and around the fuel tank useing the semi flexable nyrod...And leave the tank in the stock location..This was on a spacewalker...I did a Pulse too and found the same thing...I really don't care for the rear mount carb for this reason..It is difficult get nice smooth carb and choke linkages...It sounds like you have found your own way of solving the problem..Do you have a way to post a pic? I would like to see your solution in case I want to copy it... Sorry for the double post...I am not sure how I did that...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a shot of the throttle servo set-up..........

Name:	Ig11430.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1845707  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow thats tight..That must have given you a hard time...How smooth is it? sometimes when you have sharp angles like that you get binding...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No binding at all...........very smooth. I unhooked the throttle return spring so there is no tension on the throttle shaft...........and moving the control arm of the throttle out to the end of the 6-32 bolt makes it a straight throw. But yeah, there isn't much room to play with and like I said, my control rod is 1 1/8th inch long. As long as the servo can take the vibration, and I think it can, it should be a clean low maintenance installation. I will have a optic kill switch installed in there so, if the servo pukes, I won't have to fly around for 30 minutes to run it out of gas so I can land.
    However, I would not want anyone to duplicate this installation with anything but a metal gear servo........I don't think a cheap standard servo of any make would give you trouble free service. These 65mg servos have proven themselves to be tough and reliable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Optic kill swtich is a good idea..I have one on every one of my DLE's...This G26 isn't electronic ign so I can't use one on mine..Mine grounds to kill it ...I miss having the optic kill switch and I like how it lights up too tell you that you are hot......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

roknHS I just wanted to point out that you might want too look into something regarding radio frequency interference...I recalled reading something about it so I did a quick search about throtle hook up in gassers...I am no expert but I think your set up might be dangerous....If you do a search I am sure you will see what I mean...Maybe it depends on what radio system you have , I don't know , but I would hate to see a person lose their plane over radio interference...I hope I am wrong...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

roknHS I just wanted to point out that you might want too look into something regarding radio frequency interference...I recalled reading something about it so I did a quick search about throtle hook up in gassers...I am no expert but I think your set up might be dangerous....If you do a search I am sure you will see what I mean...Maybe it depends on what radio system you have , I don't know , but I would hate to see a person lose their plane over radio interference...I hope I am wrong...
    I dont see any issue.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think I've got any radio interference issues..........metal to metal contact and vibration has been known to cause 72mghz issues..........you are probably looking at the choke rod running through the ferrule casted on the case.......it is actually lined with plastic tube from the factory. As you can see, my throttle linkage is a plastic socket and metal ball link......no problem there. My ignition module will be on the inside of the tank compartment on the opposite side of the airframe from the servo. And the radio is a JR 9503 2.4ghz with a 921 9 channel receiver and 2 sattelites positioned in the fuselage.
    This thing is going to have a mile of wire inside it, with all the light wires and long servo leads, light controller, optic kill swithch, voltage regulator for the light system, 2 switches and 2 batteries. It is probably more likely it will go down from a lightening strike than radio interference..............oooooooohhhhh, probably shouldn't of said that..............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LMAO! Thats awesome.

Heck I felt the 25e had a mile of wiring in it.

If you guys want some useable lights check out EZ Lites sold by East Coast Vario (scale heli dealer), brightest damn things I've ever seen.

EDIT: http://www.eastcoastvario.com/shop/v....php?groupid=2
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you are probably rite..I have the same throttle ball link as you do..Sometimes I believe we over worry these things but I thought I would point it out anyway as I have seen this discussed ...The throttle push rod is metal on my Cub..This is the first time I have done that..I usually have plastic.. I figured if it works ,it works...Good enough...What I had read about was more concerned with the distance the servo is from the engine and the spark ....I do not understand it and wont try to quote it but it had to do with pulses per sec or something...I cant see how a few inches could possibly make much of a difference though...Metal to metal was in there too as things to avoid...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm out of the cub business for a few days. I need batteries and switches for the project so, went to Hangtimes.com and ordered a A123 2500 mah receiver battery and a 1950 mah sub C Nicad for the ignition plus a couple of charge switches and some odds and ends.
    I buy a couple of A123's a year and am gradually switching my planes over from Nimh receiver batteries. I have not had Nimh batteries last more than 3 or 4 years before they get down to about 50% of their rated capacity. I fast charge at the flying field and I don't think the Nimh batteries hold up over time do to the heat generated during fast charging. I've normally used batteries from Tower and I don't think they are anything special. I believe the batteries from Hangtimes are better quality and have a longer life span. Of course the A123's should last for 10 years or more and hold charge over extended periods. All the Hangtimes batteries cost more but, it is a small fraction of the cost of an airframe. I've always been ANAL about making sure my batteries are checked out and ready to supply at least 85% of their rated capacity............when you want to fly bigger gas planes, it is near impossible to put one together for much less than $1000 bucks...........unless you've got spare motors and electronics setting around on a shelf somewhere. But, when you figure up the total cost of the components and the plane, it adds up pretty quick. So, if an extra $75 bucks for a new power supply will keep your sizeable investment in the air, I error on the side of caution and spend some insurance money on batteries and switches that I don't have to worry about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I decided to order a winshield and cowl to have on hand in case I play silly bugger and spoil mine...Actually what worries me is how quickly I see these planes become no longer avalable ..Anyway what I noticed was the window set #HAN454011 is $11.49 and comes with a windshield while the winshied # 454021 is $13.49 by itself so it is better to buy the winscreen with all the rest of the windows with it...The top cockpit window even comes with the pkg...Two bucks cheaper and everything else with it..However it is on back order till the end of February . This dosen't matter much to me because I am not needing it anyway..It is just something I want to have in case they become hard to get ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

roknHS are you going to put the lites on yours ? If you are I just wanted to point out that the instructions have the nav lites installed backwards...The red lite should go on the left wing and the green lite on the rite wing...Unless I am reading the instructions wrong they tell us to install them with the red on the rite and green on the left which is backwards...I have seen two completed and done wrong and it really shows up when you turn the plane on...I guess if you are following instructions and not thinking its easy to do...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got my replacement wing, and they sent me the wrong side! They sent me the right wing, I checked the invoice that they emailed me for the replacement wing and it says LEFT WING..... On hold now. I also got the replacement windsheild, and it came with a full window kit, including the top hatch... I still haven't started on it yet, have to order servos first. The weather changed here and the sun is out for the first time in a month. So gonna be out all weekend flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

roknHS are you going to put the lites on yours ? If you are I just wanted to point out that the instructions have the nav lites installed backwards...The red lite should go on the left wing and the green lite on the rite wing...Unless I am reading the instructions wrong they tell us to install them with the red on the rite and green on the left which is backwards...I have seen two completed and done wrong and it really shows up when you turn the plane on...I guess if you are following instructions and not thinking its easy to do...

You've seen two of them completed!? I wanna see one! I wish someone near me had one done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone know what size of pan head sheet metal screws would be the scale size? I want a few for attaching the windshield ect....., and was wondering what size would be scale. #0 or #1 or 2, I don't know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Biker,
    I do have lights on mine.....and yes I have figured out the manual is backwards. I'm a full scale pilot but, had to do a second take take and think twice about which light went where. I'm sure there will be alot of red lights on the right wing tip because of this screw up. Not too easy to fix after everything is glue in place.............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh that must be a wee bit annoying....I was on another site and found that there is quite a few of us that have exactly the same damage to our Cubs...Left wing tip crushed ,windshield broken ,cockpit braces knocked loose ..You are the first one I have heard of that has received the wrong wing though ...Some guys have had to return the broken parts and some have not...I have been one of the lucky ones that got to keep the broken parts...I would still sooner have had a flawless kit though..The waiting is annoying...That's why we buy ARF's , because we want one NOW...Really though I gotta say the guys at Horizion are fantastic...They really try to help...I have always come away happy after talking to them...They are polite and honest and helpfull .. They deal with it quickly too and when they say they are going too do it they are...Their word is good... fourthearth I wish you were closer to me because mine is about as close to complete as it can be..I just have the windows to put in...I am stalling because access is so easy with them out......I am waiting on some cockpit kit pieces that were missing...I might skip the cockpit kit though...The interior is painted and look okay...The cockpit kit is slick plastic and is supposed to crack easily .....It is a really nice looking plane....I am debating buying the Hanger 9 float kit.....I would like to talk to somebody that has been using one for a while...My lhs has one for me if I want it...He bought it for himself but hasen't gotten around to putting his plane together yet....

Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast