Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

ORIGINAL: cubcrasher

The price is a little higher, but the piece of mind is worth that.
    With the HobbyKing high shipping, it probably comes out prettty close!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I might have to wait till Christmas till I open the box but That dosent mean I cant start my Floats..I have them all cut out..Now I need to sand them smooth and then cover them with fiberglass...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just took delivery of my Cub, but the electric battery tray and electric motor mount box were not included. Did anybody receiver the electric motor mounting hardware with their Cub, or does it have to be purchased seperately? I just checked all of the optional and required equipment on the website, and it says nothing about having to buy the electric stuff seperately.

Thanks!

iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can not say for sure but I believe those pieces come with the ARF..I would give Horizion a call..They are very good about that sort of thing..If they miss somthing or there is somthing broken they usually make it rite...I have always been treated fairly...I looked at the Manual and it sure looks like they are part of the kit...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heads up for everyone going electric...just got in touch with H9 and the electric motor mount and battery tray IS NOT INCLUDED. It's not listed in the manual or online as being required for the electric power option. It's not listed in the manual under "optional items" either, it's listed under "replacement parts". What a joke, especially since I just built the 1.20 Christen Eagle and it included all of the stuff to go electric.

iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shame on Hanger 9..For the price of the ARF I think it those parts could be included..A lot of ARF's have the stuff for electric conversion included...Maybe they figured on a plane this big there would not be a big electric demand...More of a four stroke putt putt crowd ...It sure looked to me like they were...Even if they were to include the pattern so you could cut your own and have it fit would be a help...Thanks for pointing that out G.P. I can't help it I still love the plane...Looking over the manual it looks like it is not going to be a real fast assembly...That is okay, I like the assembly part espially in the winter when I cant get out flying as much....I havent ever seen hinges where you first epoxy them in and then finish them with CA but it looks like that what the manual is asking us to do.....Am I rite on that or miss reading?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a proud member of the four stroke putt putt crowd.
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86
    Beware of the educated moron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The battery tray and mount were just added to the Horizon and H9 sites under "completion guides" for the required electric equipment. It was not there a few hours ago when I was trying to figure out if it was included or not. At least they were very quick to fix that up after I pointed it out.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cubcrasher

I'm a proud member of the four stroke putt putt crowd.
    I would be too on this one, but we don't have anywhere to get glow fuel in town anymore. It's dangerous goods so it can't be shipped, and the closest place to get it is 4.5 hrs away. I just can't bring myself to go gas on this one either. I don't want to hack apart that sweet cowling, and it just doesn't sound right. With electric I can get on the lake before all of the boats (waves) without making anyone mad too. Sunrise and sunset float flying are the best!
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sunrise and sunset is my favorite time to fly too.
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys

These parts are optional and not included with the model. We had to make a decision on what parts to include so we opted to keep as many scale details and allow this to be optional. I do see where in the new translation manuals where this part number is listed under not shown at the end of the section not shown, but is clearly listed as optional. The parts are also listed as optional on our web-site.

Again sorry for any confusion.
    Bill Brundle
    Hangar 9 Senior Product Developer,
    Team JR
    \"B\" Squared Builders

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill I sent you a PM as requested in post #45 but recieved no answer...Did you not recieve my message ? I had a few questions about the new Cub In post #88 I asked this same question and recieved no answer either...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

Guys

These parts are optional and not included with the model. We had to make a decision on what parts to include so we opted to keep as many scale details and allow this to be optional. I do see where in the new translation manuals where this part number is listed under not shown at the end of the section not shown, but is clearly listed as optional. The parts are also listed as optional on our web-site.

Again sorry for any confusion.
    I wouldn't exactly say it's clear. It's on a few of the web pages if you know where to go, but there are several places that don't have the motor box listed under the "required to complete" for electrical power section. The main two web pages for example: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ub-arf-HAN4540 & http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4540. Both pages say the following for items required to complete under electrical power:

Electric Power
    - 5+ channel Transmitter and Receiver radio system
    - (7) standard digital servos
    - Motor
    - ESC
    - Propeller
    - Motor battery

I just checked and there is nothing about it on the box under the recommended electric power system either.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I don't know what you're looking at in Canada, but when I ordered mine when they first came out it was pretty clear from Horizon's website that (i) if you wanted to go electric you were going to need a motor mount/box and a battery tray, (ii) those parts were not included in the kit and thus (iii) they had to be ordered separately. And the part numbers were posted. HH may have changed the website from when I ordered mine, but at the time I ordered both my LHS dealer and I were able to figure it out without a lot of headscratching and whining. And no, I don't (didn't) mind paying extra for those parts.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Well, I don't know what you're looking at in Canada,
    Check the links above. The two main pages for the airplane say nothing about the battery tray and motor box under the parts required for the electrical set up. Guess we're all not as smart as you, because I wasn't the only one that was fooled.

Sorry for the "whining" but this is my most expensive airframe to date, and the only airframe I have ever bought that was marketed as an electric ready airframe that didn't include these parts. Without these parts I would consider it more of an electric conversion, which I can do to any airframe, so why the marketing hype of "power it the way you want"? I can convert any airframe that I want by buying extra parts. I'm probably just used to other manufacturers and what they include in their planes that are marketed as electric ready.

BTW, it's not so much the money as it is the time. I contacted the two biggest hobby shops in Canada, and neither of them ordered the extra parts because they also didn't know that the parts were required. They thought they were spare parts and they don't stock spare parts. So now I can wait for one of them to put in their mothly order to Horizon, or buy it from across the border...that means additional customs fees and possibly an extra long customs processing time due to the Xmas bottleneck.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ordered the plane from Horizon today. Considering running the Power 160 after reading the 110 needs extra weight to balance it out. Plus having the extra power is always nice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am surprized that this Cub is not generating more interest...I am on pins and needles waiting for Christmas and being allowed to have a look at mine...I hope I do not lose interest as fast as everyone else seems to have...I expected to see some builds progressing...Maybe its just everyone is busy with Christmas things...I would like to know how many hours it takes to put together and I would like to know a bit more about the hinging process..Several times I have tried contacting Bill Brundle with some questions , both PM's and here on RCUniversse and got no response what so ever...I do not understand why he would invite us to ask questions if he will not answer them...Possibly a person should ask questions before purchacing and not after...I am starting to have second thoughts about this plane..I sure would like to know more about it...I am glad it has not been opened yet..I think I could still return it... Can anyone tell me how happy they are and how it is flying? Ground handeling etc. etc. ..I have a GP 1/5 scale Cub with Robart gear that can be quite squirly on take offs whereas my Sig 1/4 Cub is a walk in the park as is my BUSA 1/3 Cub ...I have Robart gear for my Sig 1/4 Cub but I havent installed it yet, It really needs it ...Iwould like to know if the Hanger 9 Cub's gear looks like it will stand up ..I am probably going to have it on floats most of the time anyway but I still would like to know more about the gear before I rip the box open and then cant return it ...How does the plane handle on the ground? I am used to tail draggers and Cubs but all cubs dont behave the same on the ground in my experience...Some can be a real handfull..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope people haven't lost interest as well. I haven't lost interest, I just have other planes in front of this one that I am working on. I don't have a whole lot of time to spend building so the process goes very slowly. I can tell you that I cannot wait to get it started. I do have the fuselage set up on the box with the main wings attached and I just stare at it a few minutes everytime I go to the basement!!

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Li20938.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	1828931  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you're gonna like it. I don't think you will have any problems with ground handling. You can
    start a build thread Dec. 26th. In the meantime STAY OUT OF THAT BOX!!!!!!!!
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I will try and do a build thread..I have never done one before and I have just had a stroke so it should be interesting...I also have two ten ft scratch built spitfires on the go...Not a lot of space left but I really want this Cub..My wife is pretty good , I will have parts in the bedroom and living room and where ever I figure the cats will leave them alone.....Thats why I was wondering about assembly time....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started building mine on Friday and have roughly 15 hours into it. I'm in no hurry so I've been taking my time. So far I have the following completed:

- all control surfaces hinged and installed
    - wings struts installed though one of them was broken (Horizon is sending me a replacement)
    - all servos installed
    - landing gear completed
    - motor box and Power 160 mounted

No surprises in the assembly so far but I found the rubber bands for the landing gear a bit aggravating. The damn bands kept coming off the screws. I did notice that the caps for the wheels are yellow underneath and have been painted white. It doesn't take much to flake off the paint.

I've taken some random photos along the way but not enough to create a build thread. I'll see if I can grab them off my phone and post them later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do youhave to ca the hinges after epoxying them in place ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the manual says that you should CA them after the epoxy, but I didn't do it. Maybe I will go back later and do it. I believe the manual says to do it on the flaps, I don't think they want you to CA the ailerons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't either but I think I'll go back and follow up with CA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never seen that type of hinges need ca after epoxy before , thats why when I saw that in the instructions it took me by surprize and I wondered why.. Thanks for posting your builds guys...How strong does the plane feel ?Is it well glued?

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast