Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Warbirdpilots.com

iflytailies.com
Old 06-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
The builds you do and pics are fantastic!

Did you use the stock tank in the stock location? Where did you place ignition?

Cheers
Thanks for the compliments!

The tank goes in the stock location with no problem. If you look through the pics, there is one showing the ignition on one side of the fuel tank. I used the super grip HD Velcro to secure it in place. The batteries (2- 2300mah 2s A123 packs from TaildraggerRC.com) are also in the nose on either side of the fuel tank. It was a pain to do, but they are zip-tied to the back of the firewall to get the weight as far forward as I can, though I still ended up adding lead, it was not as much as I needed on Barracuda's.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
Question, were can I find a full body civilian pilot for this scale.
http://www.premierpilots.net

bit pricy, but they are better looking than the one that comes with this super cub; if you want that one, its only like $13 bucks plus shipping over at horizon hobbies web site.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 06-08-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

For those using or planning to use the VVRC 40 engine along with Airtop wheels, I found the CG considerably forward for my liking. I'm using the 7" Airtops and have since relocated my two 2300mAh A123 batteries to underneath the elevator servos and have added 3 oz of weight in the tail empennage area. Downlines are very neutral now with no tendency to climb anymore.

Finally got around to a poorman's CG check by doing the fingertip balance method with two people holding each wingtip and found it to be right on at about 4.5" aft of the leading edge. I thought the plane still flew well with more weight up front, just way to much positive stability for me.

I also made some hubcaps for the Airtop wheels by cutting out the bottoms of two 24oz soda cans with a Dremel and then attaching them with hot glue. They were a perfect fit and came out very scale like. Will try to post some pics soon.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM
HELI-MECH

Not even a flight on my vvrc 40cc or a tank of fuel through it and I have a blown cylinder. I ran it up for the second time and after a full throttle blast and back to idle it quit. I could tell right away when rotating prop by hand it felt low on one cylinder. Pulled the plugs and plugged hole with finger, right side almost zero compression... Lets hope vvrc is good with warranty. Anyone else with similar problem? I'm at 7000 rpm, running stihl oil with 87 octane gas 32/1 mix. Haven't exceeded 240 degrees.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm happy with the pilot that came with the kit. In fact, so much so, that I picked up another for my DHC-2. My daughter personilzed #2 a bit with a couple of Sharpies so they can co-pilot and not look like twins.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 AM
bikerbc

I found a buzz light year doll in the toy store that fits very well . It sure attracted lots of attention from the kids when I displayed the plane at the mall show ..I think he cost more than the Hanger 9 1/4 scale full body posable pilot ( HAN4566 ) $12.99 .. I like him better.. I often find my pilots in the toy store . Sometimes you can get some pretty neat looking pilots in the dollar store .

Last edited by bikerbc; 06-09-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Cash
Finally got around to a poorman's CG check by doing the fingertip balance method with two people holding each wingtip and found it to be right on at about 4.5" aft of the leading edge. I thought the plane still flew well with more weight up front, just way to much positive stability for me.
The CG is always set empty weight (no fuel) if you go by the instructions... when you fuel up with 16 oz of fuel your CG goes way forward anyways... I never fly the entire tank, 15 min is all my neck can handle lol, so I always set my CG with 1/3 fuel in the tank... it gives a better CG position through out the flight (not so nose heavy) otherwise you're always flying far forward CG.

Originally Posted by marksp
I'm happy with the pilot that came with the kit. In fact, so much so, that I picked up another for my DHC-2. My daughter personilzed #2 a bit with a couple of Sharpies so they can co-pilot and not look like twins.
Yeah but he looks like he's on crack, or scared s***less... whoever painted the eyes, damn!... He's still out of scale though... the length of the foot should be about 2.5 inches, but for the price you can't complain... I'll probably get another from premierpilots and just swap it between this cub and my j3.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 06-09-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added another reply
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Capt Cash

Originally Posted by John_M_
The CG is always set empty weight (no fuel) if you go by the instructions... when you fuel up with 16 oz of fuel your CG goes way forward anyways... I never fly the entire tank, 15 min is all my neck can handle lol, so I always set my CG with 1/3 fuel in the tank... it gives a better CG position through out the flight (not so nose heavy) otherwise you're always flying far forward CG.

John M,

Entirely correct and also how I set my planes up too. This plane however was significantly forward for me with no fuel and then obviously more forward with fuel added.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Jeepindog

Originally Posted by flycatch
Question, were can I find a full body civilian pilot for this scale.
Uh, there should be a decent one in the box when you buy it. He's not the best ever, but he's very light weight and fits well. A little paint and some custom work = pretty god full body pilot.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by HELI-MECH
Not even a flight on my vvrc 40cc or a tank of fuel through it and I have a blown cylinder. I ran it up for the second time and after a full throttle blast and back to idle it quit. I could tell right away when rotating prop by hand it felt low on one cylinder. Pulled the plugs and plugged hole with finger, right side almost zero compression... Lets hope vvrc is good with warranty. Anyone else with similar problem? I'm at 7000 rpm, running stihl oil with 87 octane gas 32/1 mix. Haven't exceeded 240 degrees.

Did some more research and looks like i've got a bad cylinder, possibly oval. No ring damage or piston damage. Tim with Valley View has been more than accomodating and will have me up and running in no time, great customer service!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I figured they would be
Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 AM
iflyfloats

A while back I saw where someone had bought shock cord boots for their landing gear, anyone have a link to a website maybe?
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 PM
rabflyer
My Feedback: (74)

iflyfloats, got mine on amazon, comes by the foot, cost is cheep. bob
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM
bikerbc

If you go to the Kit Building Forum and look for The Cub Brotherhood . The Cub Man makes some covers for the shock cord on the landing gear . If you go to his web site you will probably be able to find what you are looking for .
Originally Posted by iflyfloats
A while back I saw where someone had bought shock cord boots for their landing gear, anyone have a link to a website maybe?
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Acs_guitars

We got my customer's H9 1/4 SC in the air last weekend. Everything went great! The only issue was the landing gear was a bit soft... I followed the manual for installing the rubber bands, but they just weren't firm enough. At the end of the day I tightened them up a bit and they should be good now. The baffles are working great on the new one and Barracuda's as well. Both engines are running 215-230 deg F, but do heat soak once shut down on the ground making an immediate restart difficult - -No problem if you let it sit 10-15 min and cool down.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Right on!

I like to have a little bounce in the gear like the full scale, so I keep a bunch of #30 rubber bands in the kit. Change them about every two months.

Cheers
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Capt Cash

Yep the scale gear with it's flex is really awesome on this plane. My O-rings have held up well now to about a 100 touch and go's so far. Compliment the gear with some squishy tundra tires and you can really drop this plane in on a dime with a slow approach and not have to worry about damaging anything.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Acs_guitars

I like to see it articulate on landing too. The gear bands were loose enough to lean w/ the torque of the motor which is a bit too squishy. Barracuda's is getting new bands in the morning, one side had a blowout last time we were out. Hope to get 4 or 5 flights on his tomorrow to finish proving the tuning and cooling so that I can get the floats back on it.... don't want to risk engine troubles on the water.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 AM
rabflyer

acs-guitars, I want to put my batteries up front like you, but how are you going to balance charge them, seems like a tough time to remove them every three or four flights, thanks bob
Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Acs_guitars

I use the balance charge leads and charge adapter from Richard at WrongWayRC.com with a CellPro charger for the A123 packs. No need to remove them.

http://www.wrongwayrc.com/index.php?...product_id=234

http://www.wrongwayrc.com/SensorOperatorWings

http://www.wrongwayrc.com/index.php?...product_id=248
Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
rabflyer

thanks, I thought their might be some length limit on the wires from resistance.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Jeepindog

Originally Posted by Acs_guitars
I like to see it articulate on landing too. The gear bands were loose enough to lean w/ the torque of the motor which is a bit too squishy. Barracuda's is getting new bands in the morning, one side had a blowout last time we were out. Hope to get 4 or 5 flights on his tomorrow to finish proving the tuning and cooling so that I can get the floats back on it.... don't want to risk engine troubles on the water.

I mailed him a set of 16" long 1/8" diameter bungee cord. Should get it soon. Better than rubber bands. I can cut them longer or shorter, depending on pilot's preference.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
bikerbc

I lost my PA18 today . I took off and was having a difficult time picking up airspeed .This plane has always seemed underpowered with the G26 . I thought it was a problem with the motor but I sent it in and had it repaired and it didn't do any better . This was its first flight on wheels . I flew it on floats and it wallowed all over the sky . This flight I had to clear trees at the end of the run way and after that I dropped the nose to try and pick up more air speed . It really dropped its nose quickly and as soon as I pulled back a bit it stalled and dropped a wing and was behind the trees . It hit hard . The Wings are okay but the fuse is gone .
Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Acs_guitars

Originally Posted by rabflyer
thanks, I thought their might be some length limit on the wires from resistance.

There is a limit... Richard knows his stuff and won't build long leads for that reason, Barracuda has asked him about this before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.