Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Common guys its Christmas None of this really matters..I am sorry if I have offended anybody
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

ORIGINAL: sj3cub

Do some research. EVERY PA-18 that came off the Piper line, beginning with the 1978 model had metal flaps and ailerons. No after-market, its straight from Piper. That's very common knowledge with most people who are very familiar with the PA-18 line. I'm only talking about Piper Factory PA-18's that came off the Lockhaven line, and the last 44 factory 150 hp models that came off the Lock Haven line. Check it out.
    +1

Even if they were aftermarket they would still be scale as lots of Cubs have them...so the point is moot.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Biker, you haven't offended anyone, and your right, it's CHRISTmas. I was just blow away when I read those comments. If their's one airframe I know about, its the PA-18, been around them all my life. Took my first ride with my dad in a 1955 90 hp SC when I was 6 mo old, and yes that one had fabric ailerons, but no flaps. All SC's didn't have flaps. Last one I flew was a 1990 150 hp, and yes it had the metal ailerons and flaps. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, I will partially stand corrected and wish no one any malice or grief. There were many variants of the SC and as much of the homework I did do, I did not see corrugated surfaces on the flaps and ailerons. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and the best of luck with your cubs and whatever new wings Santa brings you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Flying!

Loopman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Merry Christmas to all.....Thank you Loopman
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Yes Merry Christmas to all.....Thank you Loopman
    mine is under the tree , floats, lights, later , thanks frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was wondeing what you guys are using for servos ..I notice in the manual they are using JR 821's .. There is a lot of negative inputt about these servo's on the net plus they are not recomended for aircraft of this size...I have been using them for yrs in smaller aircraft with only one failure to date ( this was a solder joint failure by the motor ) I thought about the HI-Tec 635's but they are Karb gears and I am going to run a gasser...I have been running 635's in my 1/3 cubs and I have not so far had a failure .. I don't want to go crazy going out and buying $100.00 servos but I don't want to under servo either...I have a bunch of HI-Tec 425's but I think tey are a bit lite for the job... 4.8 V - 46 ins torque and 6 V -57 ins. torque .....I know they don't all have to be the same and I can use a 425 on the throtle etc but I am more concerned with the Ailerons , elevators , flaps and rudder...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power HD 1214 troybuilt has them

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ST126MGs on everything.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The HI-Tec 645 MG's should do the trick then..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am using 645's all around.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am usingSpektrum A6000 Standard Digital,and mylight setup ishttp://www.braincube-aero.com/index....ndex&cPath=69;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80225.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	1833991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50797.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1833992  
    Morris' Mini Motors

morrisminimotors.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I plan on using S3152's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your help and I think thats a good decision 645's are a step up in power from the JR 821's .. I am going to be installing the lighting kit.. Can this be installed after the plane has been built or should it be done while the plane is being built ? I have the kit ordered but somtimes it takes a long time for it to make it across the border..I dont feel like waiting for a long time , I would like to keep putting this bird together...I will be waiting for some stuff though , plus I havent heard anything about a decision as to what they are going to do about my wing....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built the E-flite version and you will be able to do the wing lights afterwards, but the rudder light might be a little tricky, but still could be done.

plus I havent heard anything about a decision as to what they are going to do about my wing....
    Just contacted Horizon about my ailerons appearing to both be for the same wing. Nice guy on the phone and good to deal with so far, but I have to wait to hear back too. Apparently they don't have just the control surfaces, and I gather they don't want to send a whole wing for just the aileron. The guy on the phone sounded surprised to see in the manual that the ailerons are different since they look exactly the same.

I'm going with Savox 1258TG's since that is what I have here. They are overkill and a little power hungry though. I'm hoping that the Castle BEC Pro can keep up with this many, and a light kit too. Four of these trigger a low voltage warning in my Rx when I do a snap roll or a tumble on my 1/4 3D airframes. I'm hoping the Cub will be a lot easier on them with the non-3D throws. They are a really nice, fast, and percise servo for this size of airframe though.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I just got off the phone with a Product Support Technitcian at Horizion Hobby .. They have agreed to replace my wing and my winshield...I am very happy with how I have been treated...Horizion is great to deal with...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+1 on the lighting installation.

I used twisted pairs from a network cable instead of the supplied wires, they are MUCH easier to get through the provided tubes and if you dont install the wiring during the build for the rudder I think it would be a difficult project after the fact.

Basing my recomendations on the 25E Super Cub
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks BarracudaHockey thats what it looked like to me , I guess I best wait for my lighting kit to arrive and do things in the proper order..They always turn out better that way...I dont know why I get in such a hurry..I have a set of floats all cut out that I need to sand and then glass etc...I have lots to do to set this up on floats before spring...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anybody know if thats a gasoline compatable bung in the gas tank ..

Well I just got off the phone with a Product Support Technitcian at Horizion Hobby .. They have agreed to replace my wing and my winshield...I am very happy with how I have been treated...Horizion is great to deal with...
    +1

Same here. Just got off the phone and there will be a new set of ailerons and flaps sent out to cover anything that could possibly be up with my aileron/flap alignment. I didn't expect a response that fast! What a great bunch to deal with!
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the same question about the lighting kit. I dry fitted the rudder and tried to pull wires through. It was no problem, if I turned the plane upside down when pulling through. So I am almost done and I am not worried at all about putting the lights in later. I think I am going to go with the lighting kit from dimension engineering as they are super bright and I like the programmability that the controller has.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh that is great news..I sure feels good to be treated with respect and in an honest manner..It is sad to say but I think we almost expect to get treated poorly when we have payed our money....Make sure to let us know how the new ones fit...I tried the fit of the ailerons and flaps in my broken wing and they fit like a glove....So I am pretty confident when I get my new wing they will fitt properly...I am betting when you get your new ones the fit will be much better...Did you do much adjusting to the holes in the wing in an attempt to make them line up?

Oh that is great news..I sure feels good to be treated with respect and in an honest manner..It is sad to say but I think we almost expect to get treated poorly when we have payed our money....Make sure to let us know how the new ones fit...I tried the fit of the ailerons and flaps in my broken wing and they fit like a glove....So I am pretty confident when I get my new wing they will fitt properly...I am betting when you get your new ones the fit will be much better...Did you do much adjusting to the holes in the wing in an attempt to make them line up?
    Yeah I know what you mean. I looked to see if I could just order the parts on my own before I called them. It's usually faster, easier, and cheaper (if they make you ship the old parts back) than going through the warranty. Horizon was great though.

I didn't do anything to the holes. I realized that if I lined up both ends of the aileron that the recessed hing on the aileron wouldn't fit in the recess in the wing anymore. Modifying the wing recess sounded like I would be opening up a can of worms. I also realized that using the wrong aileron could possibly add wash-in to the wing as well, so that would be a recipe for disaster. The only thing that I could see doing was possibly removing the aileron skin, twisting the aileron to where it needed to be, and regluing the skins.

Are you an avid float flyer? I have set up a couple of float planes and from what I have read the top of the float should be level with the bottom of the wing, or possibly even have some positive incedence on the wing compared to the float. Most of the pics that I have seen of the 1/4 H9 floats on the J3 look like the wing has negative incedence compared to the floats (floats look like the front is up too high). I recently saw some pics of the super cub on the H9 floats, and it looks the same. Do you think there would be any negative side effects if I rig the H9 floats to be more scale?

Photos showing what I am trying to explain - full scale looks like the floats are pointed down compared to the wing a lot more, which I thought was supposed to help with getting off of the water -

Pics will have to wait, I keep getting a server error message.
    iumop ap!sdn w,I

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No I dont think you will have any trouble with that set up at all...I usually try to have my wing set about 3 degrees positive to the top of the floats...What you are trying to achieve is when the floats are sitting at their planing angle the wing should be devloping enough lift to lift the plane off the water... With the RC plane in the pic if the plane is rotated enough to lift off the back of the floats will be deep in the water creating lots of drag...I dont see how that set up could work very well...

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast