Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input on the BUSA floats Trev . I completely agree with you on the quality of BUSA's kits and planes . The J3 Cub I built is a dream to fly . I have a OS 160 Gemini Twin on it . The only thing that I don't care for about the plane is the way the wings attach . It is not as user friendly as the 1/4 Scale Sig Plane .However its not that bad once you get the right tools . The Plane itself is awesome to fly .. I am a bit of a Cub nut .. I have 7 flying right now .. Some dedicated to floats . I am really interested in your Cub history , taking off from a flat deck . I would love to try that .. I took a few years off from RC and flew full size . Bought my own plane .. Wow if you think RC is expensive ..
Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Bauer66

Alcuy.

So far from what I can see everything is looking very clean and should work just fine.

Thought................Have you considered the possibility that the ducting could actually impede airflow? Meaning that your Ducting could cause Air to run up to the front of the heads then kinda stall. This is probably crazy of me to be thinking this way but it just seems that once the air is forced in the tubes and travel to the heads that it will hit a wall so to speak causing the air to be interrupted enough to actually slow down, Unless I am missing something of course which is more than likely possible. Please anybody chime in here.................
Trev.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Bauer66

Bikerbc,

Oh yes RC is change next to the real thing..............My history with Cubs is not as extensive as yours that's for sure. In a way I envy you having the real deal. I got out of the Corp's (Aircraft Structural Machanic) and worked for a while at Cub Crafters. I was still a kid in a way. Loved the Job but wanted more. The three seater was A blast to build. The Boss had bought this Junker Cub up in Alaska and flew it here. It was on Floats so when he brought it here he needed to land it on the grass. He called the tower and they sent out Fire trucks to wet down the grass, He set that Cub down on wet grass as gently as you would set down a new born Baby.................
We gutted that plane and gave it a total rebuild, Installed a STOL conversion, Put her back on the Floats set her on a flat bed trailer and towed her down the runway behind his pickup. He lifted it right off as effortlessly as he set her on the grass the day he brought her here. Damndest thing I ever saw. The take off even made the papers.

Trev.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Bauer66

Would love a set of the Logo's if its not to late to put my Dibb's in on a set.
Please let me know the Detail's.
Thanks.
Trev.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Alcuy

Yes Bauer, there is an opportunity to choke off some flow. It is a bit of a balancing act to have as much area for the flow out of each tube as the inlet. The way to ensure the flow is to keep the end of the tube far enough away so some air can go around the cylinder but is close enough that a large majority goes through the fins. Forcing the air through the fins does the best job for cooling. That is why I am attempting to trim just enough so there is about 1/8th to no more than 1/4th of an inch all around the tube for clearance from the fins. That is my take...

So if anyone has a better, or more scientific method to do this, I am open for suggestions. I have studied several articles on how to baffle for cooling and short of building a shroud around the cylinder, what I have done is supposed to be an improvement over allowing a lot of air to miss the cylinder entirely. I am not certain that what I have done is enough or will work like I think it should. I am attaching an article by Dick Hanson on this subject in case you have not read it.

Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ENGINE AIR.pdf (94.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
iflyfloats
My Feedback: (1)

Andy,

If it's not to late I would like a set also, PM me the details,
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Alcuy

Finally I am done under the cowl. Everything is about as good as a first pass can make it since this VVRC 40 is not part of the suggested equipment for this airplane. Attached is a picture of the underside showing the tank vent, fueling valve, exhaust ports and the choke rod. Then I took a nose-on shot without the prop. Which reminds me, I should be getting a couple of props in the mail pretty soon. The picture of the nose looks pretty clean.

Now I need to glue the brace back on and I can put the windows in. I also need to put the forward bulkhead in to hold the tank and batteries in the nose. Oh yes, also I need to install the instrument panel! With all that done, it will be time to figure out what I need to do to balance this puppy. I have a feeling it will be a tad tail-heavy but we'll see.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0174.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	967.3 KB
ID:	1952741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0175.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1,002.0 KB
ID:	1952743  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
iflyfloats

Does anyone have a skylite that the glass broke and they haven't thrown away yet that they want to get rid of ? I'm looking for one to make a mount for my gopro.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Bauer66

Al

I think your right on the Money here, Like I said it was just a thought. I've been out of the game a while and am having to seriously get caught up on quite a bit. Your work is very clean and well thought out. Great job and I can't wait to hear how she flies.

Trev.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Alcuy

Originally Posted by Bauer66
Al

I think your right on the Money here, Like I said it was just a thought. I've been out of the game a while and am having to seriously get caught up on quite a bit. Your work is very clean and well thought out. Great job and I can't wait to hear how she flies.

Trev.
Thanks Trev! I am looking forward to seeing you build yours.
One of the things I did which I did not mention was to go over the landing gear attachments inside with epoxy. They looked pretty good but I reinforced them anyway. I do not always grease them in so more strength there is better for my peace of mind. It is good to do early on before the spaces get cluttered with switches, wire and gear... A couple of others on this Thread have mentioned issues on the amount of glue in this area.

Al
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Alcuy

iflyfloats, that is a good idea! But no, I have no spare...

Al
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Bauer66

Al

I agree it's always' a good idea to reinforce the gear blocks. Years ago I did do a few ARF's, One of them being the old H9 Supercub. Because of the ARF problems back then I would rip off all the covering, go over the entire airframe then recover. It was amazing how much missing glue there was.................. It was also interesting to see what surprises you would find once the covering was off. ARF's have sure come along way since then. Still however I do have that slight hesitation because of all these experiences. For the most part when I quit flying Gas engines were just starting to get popular, Radio's were AM and you had something when you went FM, Four stroke Glow was the big prize and Electrics.............What was that LOL. I am a Builder from back in the day. I've bought an ARF and I am excited about it. This hobby has sure advanced in the right direction.

Trev.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Jeepindog

Originally Posted by Bauer66
Al

I agree it's always' a good idea to reinforce the gear blocks. Years ago I did do a few ARF's, One of them being the old H9 Supercub. Because of the ARF problems back then I would rip off all the covering, go over the entire airframe then recover. It was amazing how much missing glue there was.................. It was also interesting to see what surprises you would find once the covering was off. ARF's have sure come along way since then. Still however I do have that slight hesitation because of all these experiences. For the most part when I quit flying Gas engines were just starting to get popular, Radio's were AM and you had something when you went FM, Four stroke Glow was the big prize and Electrics.............What was that LOL. I am a Builder from back in the day. I've bought an ARF and I am excited about it. This hobby has sure advanced in the right direction.

Trev.
It sure has advanced. Depending on your preferred involvement in the hobby determines whether you think it's going in the right direction or not. For example, sooooo many quadcopters and park RTF park flyers out there now that goofy knuckleheads are showing up at the flying field with an armful of foam and batteries and crashing stuff left and right! Of course, just getting to the flying field is to their advantage as it will get them some help and flight instruction, and more people in the hobby is good for pricing and the AMA (if people join) which helps with keeping flying sites open. Sure, the sheer number of kits is low in terms of a percentage of overall offerings, but kits are still out there. High quality ARFs are available in a staggering variety of different types of airplanes, and they fly well and save a lot of building time, which, depending on your goal, is what it's all about. That's probably why you bought the ARF, right? Radios are better, receivers and servos are better, accessories are better, engines are better and available in a lot more displacements, and on and on. I love the options for LED lights and scale cockpit accessories from various sources online. I really love this Super Cub and how well it flies. Easily my favorite airplane out of the 14 I own!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Bauer66

Oh man................ tell me about the guys showing up at the Field with insta planes under there arms expecting to be an expert...............When Arf's first came out we saw the influx of people showing up with little to no instruction at all. Crash Burn or turn on there radio and take someone else's plane down. When they showed up we packed up. I realize we all had to start somewhere but after the time it took to build your plane you sure as heck did not want to crash it right away, I learned on an old JR Falcon, Talk about unstable lol. Then I moved up to the Senior Falcon..........Still have that one but it is so old I don't dare put it in the air. We sought instruction, Joined the AMA and had a blast.
I remember building a Heli for a guy about 14 years ago. He had about 3K invested. When he picked it up I asked him where he flew, His response was I'm not sure where I can fly this. RED FLAG! I asked him what Kind of planes he flew. His response None, I asked him if he did Rc cars or Boats, He said no this is my First Rc. I and a friend of mine Begged him to let us teach him how to at least fly a trainer plane first to learn his way around, get to know a radio etc. NOPE! okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I'm not sure how he did it but he did manage to get the thing started and his Heli experience lasted about 3 seconds. That translates to about a Grand a second. He brought me this box of parts and asked me if I could fix it. Umm NO!
I bought this ARF simply because I liked it. I really enjoy building and have a Build I will be starting soon that will take up my time for quite a while.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Just started my H9 Super Cub today a very nicely engineered ARF. Got the wings completed in an hour and a half.Everything fits perfectly and lines up nicely. Will start the fuse in a couple days still don't know what engine Im going with, leaning toward a DLE20 but we"ll see.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Alcuy

The instrument panel is in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0178.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1952940  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Alcuy

Originally Posted by scaleman57
Just started my H9 Super Cub today a very nicely engineered ARF. Got the wings completed in an hour and a half.Everything fits perfectly and lines up nicely. Will start the fuse in a couple days still don't know what engine Im going with, leaning toward a DLE20 but we"ll see.
Welcome aboard scaleman!... Sounds like you are well into your assembly already. Keep us posted!

Al
Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Alcuy

I have a question. Why is the stabilizer leading edge cover cut and installed the way they are doing it? I have not glued mine on yet because it seems a funky way of doing things. Is it done that way on the real Cub? I have never seen a Super Cub I don't think... I am not around airports much.

It is one of the finishing up items that is on my list. I am going over the book again to make sure I have not overlooked anything... I did skip around a bit...

Al
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It simulates the way the elevator trim can be adjusted on a real Cub or Super Cub

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...rimLinkage.htm
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM
mobyal

Originally Posted by Alcuy
I have a question. Why is the stabilizer leading edge cover cut and installed the way they are doing it? I have not glued mine on yet because it seems a funky way of doing things. Is it done that way on the real Cub? I have never seen a Super Cub I don't think... I am not around airports much.

It is one of the finishing up items that is on my list. I am going over the book again to make sure I have not overlooked anything... I did skip around a bit...

Al
Take a look on p.3 of this thread, posts 51-54. I think that's what you're referring to, and the comments and pics there'll answer your question, I think.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Alcuy

Red face

Thanks to both of you! Here I read through this whole thread and evidently forgot all about most of it, (must be my age showing?) !! OK, now I will glue them on as instructed. I guess I should have gone back and re-read the thread and saved some embarrassment! And maybe a bit of ire on the part of those who had to answer a question again... my bad.

Al
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Just started on my cub again put a dle 35 ra in mine .I really like the idea of a vvrc twin 40 might order one. I read alot about the motor and like what I here thanks for the pictures Alcuy
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Alcuy

Originally Posted by bladebender
Just started on my cub again put a dle 35 ra in mine .I really like the idea of a vvrc twin 40 might order one. I read alot about the motor and like what I here thanks for the pictures Alcuy
You are welcome... Sometimes pictures work better than an explanation for sure. I am hoping mine works out well.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Does anyone have a skylite that the glass broke and they haven't thrown away yet that they want to get rid of ? I'm looking for one to make a mount for my gopro."

I used the mount the camera comes on in the case(when you first buy it in the cube). I hung it just aft of the wheels on the cg(I drilled four holes, one each corner, then screwed it into the bottom of the fuselage), this was on the cub not the super cub

here is a vid showing the setup...it worked quite nice! (I've since sold the plane)

http://youtu.be/RNyLHIoC9eU

Casey

Last edited by glazier808; 12-31-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 AM
bikerbc

Happy New year Guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.