Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Alcuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbc
Happy New year Guys
I second that!!!

I ran into a minor road block on the PA last night. I was putting the windows in and found I had two starboard rear windows! I guess that is what I get for just looking at them through the packaging and not pulling them out to study more closely. So, a new window set is on order.

I am pushing to finish up the build because I must leave for another job down in Oklahoma Saturday morning and will not be home until maybe the 19th. Then I have to ready another 5 or 6 planes to take to Vegas. They all need to be checked over thoroughly so there are no mechanical malfunctions. And I need to run the engine in this PA through 4 or 5 tanks of fuel so it is ready and I see if there are any issues. There really should not be, but strange things happen on occasion...

Oh well, today the PA 18 all goes together and I will see where the center of gravity comes in. I will attach a picture or two of the plane when it is done.

( Except for the Port rear window!!) Crud!!

Al
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Alcuy

The PA-18 is done! I have never done a video on you tube before so bear with the results a bit. I thought it might be interesting to check out the lights. The plane is pretty much balanced as it sets now. I will change the prop to the proper size when it shows up in the mail. Next comes the Maiden in February!

http://youtu.be/LrcWDShTDOs
Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Bauer66

Well Done Al.
Still can't wait to see what she does with that Twin wedged in there.

Trev.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM
bikerbc

What is your all up weight Al ? Did you need to add much weight to the tail ? Nice Job on the Lites .. Much Brighter than mine .
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Alcuy

All up weight is right at 17 lbs. 14 oz. (with no fuel). So it is approaching the advertized max of 18.5 lbs. Biggest part of the reason is that I have separate LiFe packs (all foam wrapped) for receiver, lights, and ignition. I could remove some weight by combining, but until I figure what gets used, i am leaving them in.

No weight on the tail surprisingly, I have the lighting battery behind the rear seat. It is behind the vertical sheet that I installed in line with the cockpit kit marks. I think that made the difference. The other two batteries are shoehorned in the nose along each side of the fuel tank. The VVRC 40 is not all that heavy either... So I got pretty lucky on parts placement. If anything when I get the correct prop I might need a bit... somewhere? I may not be able to use the spinner without chopping... then worry about its balance or leave it off. Details... details... details...

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Bauer66

Al,
On the surface this engine seem's to be way overkill, However A Gas twin on this plane coming in under max weight that works beautifully in the Cowl. No issues thus far with Balance or anything else that I can see other than prescribed HP. Hmmmm A twin which will run smooth, sound great and is priced nicely. Sitting in this Airframe and for me one with Floats sounds very doable.
I am seriously considering this set up for mine.
Great Job Al.

Trev.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
bikerbc

Wow you have done well . My AUW is 17.16 with the G26 .. The G26 is actually heavier than the VVRC 40 but I guess that's because its the magneto version and you make it up by not needing an extra battery pack . I am really surprized at how light your motor is .. It looks like it might be wicked power plant for a Cub . I don't think cooling will be something that you wont be able to solve if it is a problem .There is lots of room for air to escape on the sides and the intake on the front is right in front of the cylinders .. You will never be working it hard .
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Alcuy

Trev,
I tend to agree with you. What sold me was the fit in the cowl. If a twin 30 in gas were available, I would likely have gone with that, but in your case with floats; both heavier and with more drag in the air, it might be just the ticket. I would be somewhat careful with horsing it around as the firewall is not that heavy-built... unless you beef it up a bit. I made sure mine was glued all the way around by pouring some slow cure epoxy on the joints. Just a thought! I was thinking to do that with the 35 RA and made sure I did for the 40. I also laid in and epoxied some 1/16 Birch ply along each side of the fuel tank for battery and CDI tray. I didn't make them too wide as the plug wires need to drop under the tank to head up front. I think that ties the firewall back into the airframe a little better as well. It all added a little weight, and some functionality, but I think a little insurance too.

Thanks! It has been a really enjoyable build for me.

I am off to Oklahoma City a day early due to weather forecast. So I will likely not be following this thread for a couple of weeks. I will catch up when I get home again. I hope your build goes perfectly for you!

Al
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Bauer66

Have a safe trip Al.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Alcuy

Originally Posted by bikerbc
Wow you have done well . My AUW is 17.16 with the G26 .. The G26 is actually heavier than the VVRC 40 but I guess that's because its the magneto version and you make it up by not needing an extra battery pack . I am really surprized at how light your motor is .. It looks like it might be wicked power plant for a Cub . I don't think cooling will be something that you wont be able to solve if it is a problem .There is lots of room for air to escape on the sides and the intake on the front is right in front of the cylinders .. You will never be working it hard .
Thanks bikerbc, I hope you are right about the cooling. I think ducting the air the way I did will be a big help. Now I just need to remember to keep the throttle finger snubbed a bit. (Although I do know if you got it you tend to use it...)! February cannot get here soon enough! I want to fly this plane!

Al
Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You know.....someone had one of those engines at the field that they were getting ready to put in a Big Foot and I was holding it thinking.....hmm.....wonder how this would go in my Cub.....
Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
bikerbc

You have done well Al Mine came in at 17.16 dry with the pilot and everything ready to go . I was surprized how light the VVRC 40 is .. My G26 is actually heavier . I guess that's because its the magneto version . You make it up by not needing the extra battery pack so it works out to almost the same weight ..Trev one of the reasons I wanted to use the G26 was because it balanced the plane so well .. One thing to consider is a twin loses a bit of power . It is not quite as powerful as a single cylinder 40 so it is not really as way overkill as it looks .. I was a sceptical at first but the more I look at this the better I like it .. I found my G26 to be a little underpowered when I was on floats however at that time my motor wasn't performing well and I ended up sending it in to horizon.. It had a pin hole in the insulator block that would not allow it to achieve full power . Now it might be better ..I still think the G26 is great for scale like flying but if you want any extra power you might want to consider something like Al's set up .. that the most interesting combination I have seen yet .. It might even work on the J 3 wilh the Jugs sticking outside the cowl .. Great job Al .. Happy New Year to all you crazy Cub lovers and everybody else too
Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM
iflyfloats
My Feedback: (1)

Andy,
Received my copy of FLYRC and read your review of the Super Cub on floats, very good! They are definitely on my wish list.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks. It looks like I had half that issue LOL, the Blanik was mine too and some thing I wrote ages ago about using simulators.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Is the gas tank that comes with the kit for gasoline or do I need to get a stopper for gasoline.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

I don't remember having to replace the stopper.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
bikerbc

The gas stopper with the tank is gas compatible . You must put tygon lines on though .And they should be wired
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

Did anyone else have problems with the aileron and flap lining up? I cannot get them to line up on my right wing. The manual says to swap the ailerons and it still doesn't work. However, my left wing will line up with either aileron. Horizon even sent me a new right wing because of shipping damage so I tried it and cannot get it to line up either. I wonder if I have a warped flap. I sighted down it and it doesn't appear warped. Horizon is good to help you out but why does it seem like I have to call Horizon about a problem with every freakin' plane I buy from them???????

Any one else have the same problem?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Thanks for the input boys I don't have to get a new stopper for the tank.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

been working on my cub wing I think both of my flaps are not straight . Is this normal That flap set up is very poor in my eyes
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
bikerbc

I asked the same question about the stopper myself .. Back on page 10 post #243 you will see the answer comes from horizon . It took me a while to find the old post but I knew it was there .. I like looking back over that stuff .
Old 01-03-2014, 05:50 PM
bikerbc

Corvette there is a left side and a right side for both the flap and the aileron. They are almost the same but slightly different .. Mine lined up perfectly but you do need to have the right side on the right side etc. etc... If your aileron's or flap's are identical its quite possibal you have a miss matched set . I would not recommend enlarging holes or anything like that .. Call customer support and tell them whats going on.. Usually when you get them you get the wing with the flap and aileron taped in position and it should be kept in it own spot . I am not sure if they can send just the left aileron or not .. I think they will need to ship you a complete left side wing set but they have done that for others when this has happened .. Its important things fit right.. I love horizons customer support . it is top notch ..
Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Bauer66

Mine arrived today, Hopefully after some shop revamping I can get started on it in a week or so. Very impressive looking assortment of parts and components.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM
pilotdb09

Alcuy,
Where did you get the Nav lights, beacon and landing lights?
I would like to add them to my PA 18 which just arrived today.
Thanks in advance.
pilotdb09
Old 01-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Topkits

Just started my Super Cub. Since I have an unused ZG38 I planned to install this engine, which should fit with some 1/4" extension of the cowling blocks (like with the DLE35RA). Recently I found the RCGF30 Twin http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...3&pid=H3104901 which should fit perfectly without any hacking up of the cowl. Does anyone have experience with this engine on the Super Cub?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.