Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I just wanted to see how cost effective it would be switching to gas... if you had to buy new batteries every year, it would still take a couple years or more of running the VV40 to recoup your conversion cost... not too bad, and you won't have to wait to recharge those 5500mha lipos in between flights... I'm not one to favor electric, but I did like the performance of your super cub, very impressive to say the least.

John M,
Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Jeepindog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas is cheap, gas engines sound far cooler than the whine of an electric motor, and with in internal combustion engine you always end your flight with a higher power to weight ratio than any electric powered airplane. Plus, there's just something about electric airplanes that seems "toy like" compared to the ones that make the "vrrooom vrrooooom" sound! *(That's *MY* opinion. Don't get all worked up over it. If you like electrics then have at it.)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I just swapped my Saito 182 twin glow for the DLE 40 twin gas....fits nicely in the cowl. Plenty of power. I hope to do the remainder tonight!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 AM
John_M_

R/C Foolish, with that DLE 40 twin, does the plug caps fit inside the cowl without cutting holes ?

John M,
Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

No
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM
John_M_

Ok thanks R/C**... I found an image of one installed in the H9 super cub, doesn't look too bad... just two small holes for the spark plug caps, and of course for the exhaust stacks... I'm looking for an alternative in case valley view doesn't get any in soon enough, I'll have to go with the DLE, or something else.

John M,
Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 PM
iflyfloats
My Feedback: (1)

Well this has been quiet for quite a while, I've been busy all summer and hopefully will have time for more flying and sharing. In the beginning of the summer I was having a lot of trouble with my DLE35ra, keep quitting on me, got sick of it and sent it in to hobbyservices to get fixed. They replaced the carb and the piston ring, said that there was an air leak in the carb. It being the busy flying season it took about 5 weeks to get it back. Installed and have got about a gallon of gas thru it and no problems. One thing I got real good at dead stick landings. A couple of pictures from this evening.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	G0024037 (2).JPG
Views:	439
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2035679   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0034173.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	2035680  
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 AM
iflyfloats

Here's a video that I took on Sunday doing touch and goes.
http://youtu.be/fXY8vt3uy-Y
Old 09-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Sparki

Originally Posted by Jeepindog
Gas is cheap, gas engines sound far cooler than the whine of an electric motor, and with in internal combustion engine you always end your flight with a higher power to weight ratio than any electric powered airplane. Plus, there's just something about electric airplanes that seems "toy like" compared to the ones that make the "vrrooom vrrooooom" sound! *(That's *MY* opinion. Don't get all worked up over it. If you like electrics then have at it.)
As someone who's flown combustion engines of one variety or another for several decades your thoughts actually mirror my own,,,,,like yourself I'm not against electric powered flight per say, I even have a couple of E planes in my hangar and fully see both the pro's and con's of it, but if theres one thing I cannot seem to adjust to its not being able to hear my model airplane in flight . I dunno theres just something about it that dosent sit right with this old boy......dont know if its the absence of that doppler effect and knowing my engine parts are all moving in concert , or if its that awkward irritating twitchiness that so many electric/foam genre of planes seem to display.

Whatever it is, IMO theres just something about Epower that lacks the same level of sensory satisfaction as opposed to the wonderful subdued blatting sound of a passing four stroker, to me, this is how real airplanes sound....this is a major component of flight realism that I'll always want within this hobby..

Whatever....... the E-Power scene (albeit, very popular) is definately lacking a major element and is consequently, not for moi

Last edited by Sparki; 10-01-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:17 PM
cubcrafter60

iflyfloats, Beautiful flying site, that looked like a nice relaxing, therapeutic flight! ~ Robin
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 AM
iflyfloats

cubcrafter60, that was a great weekend, I logged close to 1 1/2 hours of flying time Saturday and Sunday. that doesn't happen very often, I get lots of nasty gusting crosswinds there at times so have to pick my
flying days.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
radiopat

Hello all,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a little over 20 years. I've gotten my old Robinhood 99 out of mothballs and am replacing all the
old fuel lines and obsolete batteries. Things sure have changed. I started reading this thread and really got interested in the Hanger 9
J3 Cub. I ordered one when they were still on backorder and received it today. I've never built an ARF before and I was blown away
buy the quality of the build. I only wish I could build this clean. I plan on flying the Robinhood with the same 7 channel Futaba FM
radio that it's set up with but the Cub will surely get a new 10 channel 2.4 ghz radio.

The forum has already been helpful in getting me back up to speed on all the things that have changed since the 80's so post 'em up folks, I'm all ears.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 AM
iflyfloats

Does anyone know of a more scale tail wheel ? Mine is so loose in the carbon fiber spring that it tips more than turns and the spring and cable links to the rudder are tight until any weight is put on it
then they are loose and lose most of the steering effectiveness. When I try to tighten up the tail wheel then it won't turn because of binding. I have a Dave Patrick steel spring tail wheel on another
model and was going to use that but the mounting holes do not line up, tried drilling to no avail, and it's almost 2 ounces heavier. The tail wheel on the Aero Works 50cc Cub looks nice but haven't
been able to find any info about it or if it is available.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:45 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iflyfloats
Does anyone know of a more scale tail wheel ? Mine is so loose in the carbon fiber spring that it tips more than turns and the spring and cable links to the rudder are tight until any weight is put on it
then they are loose and lose most of the steering effectiveness. When I try to tighten up the tail wheel then it won't turn because of binding. I have a Dave Patrick steel spring tail wheel on another
model and was going to use that but the mounting holes do not line up, tried drilling to no avail, and it's almost 2 ounces heavier. The tail wheel on the Aero Works 50cc Cub looks nice but haven't
been able to find any info about it or if it is available.
Contact "Central Hobbies".
Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Alcuy

Originally Posted by R/C Foolish
No
Actually, the VVRC 40 with the 1/4 x 32 spark plugs does fit without cutting. If you buy the one with the CM 6 plugs, it is enough wider that it does not fit. Check out Post # 1230 on page 50. The cowl fits over the plugs.

I have not had any problem with the 1/4 x 32 plugs at all; never even had to change them yet. The main downside is the threads in the cylinders can very easily be stripped. Changing plugs must be done very carefully and gently!

So you do have a choice. Or buy what is available... Your preference.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Jeepindog

Anyone have a recommendation on a solid but lightweight set of skis for this Super Cub? I've seen a few here and there on the net, but none in person. What works, what doesn't?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alcuy
Actually, the VVRC 40 with the 1/4 x 32 spark plugs does fit without cutting. If you buy the one with the CM 6 plugs, it is enough wider that it does not fit. Check out Post # 1230 on page 50. The cowl fits over the plugs.

I have not had any problem with the 1/4 x 32 plugs at all; never even had to change them yet. The main downside is the threads in the cylinders can very easily be stripped. Changing plugs must be done very carefully and gently!

So you do have a choice. Or buy what is available... Your preference.
...and not that we need it for a Cub, but the little plug version develops a couple hundred more RPM

Cheers
Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Klemen

Please help.
I bought a Piper 1/4 from the VQ company, but has a very poor landing gear and I would like to replace it with hangar9 .Here I am interested width of the hull at the mounting landing gear to see if it is the same width as my Piper?
Thank you very much for your reply and help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	l9703947.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2048578  
Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

If nobody answers by tomorrow I'll go out and measure mine.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM
HELI-MECH

Anyone have a recommendation on a solid but lightweight set of skis for this Super Cub? I've seen a few here and there on the net, but none in person. What works, what doesn't?
Here is what I really want, iflyfloats did a great job on these... Follow the link. I wish he would make a few sets, I've bugged him about some plans, so see what he says. But these to me are Perfect!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...ub-arf-67.html
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM
bikerbc

I get 6 1/4" to the outside of the brackets Is this what you were looking for?

Last edited by bikerbc; 11-20-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Klemen

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I get 6 1/4" to the outside of the brackets Is this what you were looking for?
Thankyou so much,I see that it will then to be home made landing gear,because my fuse is width 7.8" or 200mm :-(
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM
HELI-MECH

Well I started building a set the same as iflyfloats did, looking great, didn't take long, just a matter of painting them now.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:19 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Did you guys use the stock rudder pull pull setup????

i have set up pull pull on rc planes hundreds of times and the stock hardware looks nice and good quality...
but I can't get the cable to go thru the crimp the third time...... Not sure I can get bigger crimps...

maybe I just need to try when I have more patience. But this is the tightest fit I have ever seen for a cable into a crimp...

what Am I missing?
Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes I used the stock equipment.

You can get crimps in the fishing supply part of any Walmart or Academy Sports. For that matter if you ever need pull/pull wire, use the 60 lb coated leader from the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.