Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Help aligning the Horz Stab on phx .46 extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Help aligning the Horz Stab on phx .46 extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help aligning the Horz Stab on phx .46 extra 300

Hello all,
I'm at the point to install the horizonal stab on my Phoenix .46 300 extra ARF. After prefitting the stab I have to measure the distances between the leading edge of the wing to the horz stab, it's off by 3/16" to 1/4". The problem I have is that there's no room for adjustment, the Horz stab slides into the fuse and the Horz stab has a recessed area between where the elevators install and is contured to the fuse. This is my first ARF, are things like this common? if so would this difference in measurement make a difference? I don't have a clue how to fix.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Joe_L

Default RE: Help aligning the Horz Stab on phx .46 extra 300

I just took a look at the manual and your 300s is the same construction for the stabilizer as my 120 size Phoenix Edge 540.

Push the stabilizer into the slot and measure the leading edge of the stabilizer from the fuselage to tip on each side and note if it is equal. Do the same for the trailing edge. If either measurement is off then enlarge the gap on that end by removing material from the airfoiled portion that meets the side of the fuselage. I used a sharp exacto knife and shaved off a small amount by eye. Mine was off by 3/16".

If both are equal, then the wings are off relative to the fuselage. You still want to adjust the stabilizer to be parallel with the wings so adjust a bit in the front and on the opposite side in the back to achieve equal distance.

A quarter inch may seem like a lot but will not require much material to be removed and yes, it is worth the effort. As is leveling the stabilizer to the wing.

..Joe L
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
PDF

Default RE: Help aligning the Horz Stab on phx .46 extra 300

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I did remove some material from the airfoil buildup and finally got it perfect. I'm curious, did your horizontal stab line up parallel with the wings also, or did you have to adjust it. If so I want to hear how it was done. I ask because the top of the slot (closed part to the vert stab has solid wood so the epoxy has a lot of material to adhere to. The bottom is wood only on the perimeter of the fuse.
Thanks,
Pat