Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Has the economy effected you RC'ing?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I have cut down on air planes due to the economy
56.59%
Nope, still spend it when i want it!
43.41%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Has the economy effected you RC'ing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the economy effected you RC'ing?

I been thinking about some things and I figured i would do a poll...

I know the economy has effected my spending on a lot of things including the airplanes and was wondering if others are in the same boat....

I notice at the fields that there is a lot of guys flying foamy's and I got to thinking, is it because they are fun or cheaper to own. You just don't see as much of the big dollar stuff anymore, you still see them, just not as often.... I know that myself, I have gotten into the EDF's some.. The main reason is they are a blast to fly and now it has me thinking when i buy a new plane.. Hmmmm, this cost this much and i can buy a lot of $140.00 EDF's for that.. It just has me thinking when i am shopping for a new plane..

So a simple poll, yes or no.. Like to see what others are doing to stretch their hard earned dollars...

Jimbo
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Has the economy effected you RC'ing?

I think the economy does not affect most people in any way.
You either have ajob or you don't, and if you do, you don't hink too much about it especially with a hobby like this.
I've seen people at the field who are unemployed. They keep flying the nice planes they bought a long time ago.
I think foamies are just popular now, not because of the economy.
Besides, things are improving. It was worst a few years back.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My habits really have not changed much. I shop the same pretty much all the time. I do my research and don't buy just because I can. If anything I think the biggest thing economy wise has been gas prices and I don't travel as much because of the greedy parasites stuck to fuel.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

You either have ajob or you don't, and if you do, you don't hink too much about it especially with a hobby like this.
I've seen people at the field who are unemployed. They keep flying the nice planes they bought a long time ago.

Not sure I buy into that.. I am a Union Carpenter and I know many that have lost their home due to the economy, the work just isn't there anymore... I'm lucky that i have several skills and bounce back and forth between them, if not i could see us being in real bad shape...

I agree with the Foamies, they are just plain fun and being they are on the cheaper side makes it all the better....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I wish I could agree with you, but gas,food,taxes,healthcare, and insurance prices have increased disproportionally to my income over the last year. I definitely have less disposable income than I did a couple years ago.

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
dignlivn

[quote]ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

I wish I could agree with you, but gas,food,taxes,healthcare, and insurance prices have increased disproportionally to my income over the last year. I definitely have less disposable income than I did a couple years ago.

+1

Bob

Hopefully moving day is coming, (JMO)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,
The economy has made a big impact in my flying models. I compete and driving to contests has been curtailed by gas prices, lodging prices, etc... along with the general cost of living increases over the 18 months making disposable income scarce. New models are a no-go at this time (and I want that Seb-Art Mythos BAD...). Replacing old cars is also on hold, I feel like I'm in college.
My home has become an investment property, and I've moved into an apartment to make some money while the corporation I work for does it's magical Chapter 11 thing. We've had our pension frozen, retaining some worth but needing to replace that earning with another vehicle makes me want to pull in a bit.
For those retired with no debt, I'm sure things are fairly constant. I know my parents are in that boat, sailing serenely.
Chris...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM
carrellh

Gas prices have impacted my purely recreational hobby shop trips but it's not the economy that slowed my hobby spending.

Between jobs, family, weather, and health; my brother and I have only been to the field a half dozen times in the past 2 years. That has really lowered my interest level.

I have a Four Star 60 ARF that was likely the last one sold in the Dallas area. It has been ready to fly for over a year, possibly two, and just sits in the corner of the garage.

I have another ARF and a couple of kits NIB, collecting dust.

My brother has 4 or 5 kits and a few ARFs that may or may not get built or assembled.

We have engines, receivers, servos, covering, etc so the cost to work on any of them would not be very high.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I wanted it, then I would purchase it ! At my age which is older than dirt, I realize that I can not take the $$$$$$$$ money with me. Thus, I might as well enjoy my hard earned retirement while I can.

But, to tell you the truth, I feel that I already have to many RC planes. Thus, when I do put together a new plane, I am now in the habit of trying to improve it with my own ideas and accessories.

Personally, I beleive that everybody has less disposable income / money. I think that we all attempt to make do with what we do have and enjoy what we can. I also beleive that the good ole USA has gone down the pipe and our present politicians are not smart enough or able to pull us out. While we may have less, I believe that future generations are in for an even harder life than the one we are presently living. []
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has not affected me at all, but I have a very good job that I thank God for every night. Might as well spend it, I heard that the end of the world is December 20th anyway!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: biam

Has not affected me at all, but I have a very good job that I thank God for every night. Might as well spend it, I heard that the end of the world is December 20th anyway!
Thought that it was 12/21/2012. Actually I beleive that the end of the world is in about 10 days, with the presedential election !
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: biam

Thought that it was 12/21/2012. Actually I beleive that the end of the world is in about 10 days, with the presedential election !
This is a time in our country where you could vote for a pile of crap and probably get the best candidate! I am in my late fifties and politician bite worse than unreal!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am retired and the economy definitely affect's how much I spend. Especially with the cost of most everything almost doubled in the last 2-3 year's and my retirement fund's remaining the same. So in effect I have taken nearly half a cut in pay.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The economy has not effected my hobby too much. The biggest impact is how often I go flying due to the price of gas. When it's below $3 a gallon I'm subject to go flying 2 or 3 times a week, but when above $3 it's one time a week. Otherwise, I still buy a new engine or airplane every 2 or 3 months.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't vote in your poll. You don't have one for "conditions improved". I've been doing MUCH better in the past two years. Was laid-off and unemployed in 2008 to 2009 , took a job paying 50% less in 2010 (paid about what I had been making on unemployment but at least I was doing something). Now have a job that pays 30% more than I was making in 2008 when I was "right-sized" to the streets with no severence. Took some work to find it, but nothing on my Birth Certificate says I am entitled to anything without working for it. ;-)

Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

2007-2009: Really cut back on all sorts of spending.

2010-2012: Spending crept back up to pre recession levels. Now have too many planes. Went to swap meet recently. Sold 3 planes within one hour; to me that's a good sign that pilots are looking to buy...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 PM
warbird addict

I would definitely say that for most of us the last 4 years have left us with an ever decreasing budget for anything but the basic necessities, with the cost of gas and home heating oil which generally speaking seems to drive the cost of everything else through the roof my ability to spend money on this hobby has definitely taken a downward spiral to the point where I'm not buying and building new stuff with any frequency but rather spending on only that which desperately needs it and with very careful consideration.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont go to the field as much and use acloser site rather than one that is about 25mi away.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, and I voted early for a real recovery, instead of the same ol thing that hasn't worked the last 4 years.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

last 4 years... I have put maybe 1500 into the hobby..... thats like 30 bucks a month. obamanomics sux.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been very fortunate and can say it has not affected me as of yet. I fly a corporate jet. I have been in fear of losing my job ever since 09' although the last year seems better. Making business owners feel guilty for having private jets and talk of a $100/segment fee from current leadership didn't help. Over 1,000 people lost their jobs at my company but we have been hiring some back. If Obamacare gets fully embedded in our economy I will likely lose my company healthcare plan. It already makes financial sense for the company to drop it. On the plus side, I found part time work as a contract pilot flying on the side and my wife found work as well. The down side is that I've been too busy to fly RC much.

We need a change. Vote wisely this November folks.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
thepamster

I voted "Yes" but....
I got back into the hobby back in 2009 when my income and economy was already bad. I was out of the hobby for almost 15 years.
It took me almost a full year to get one of my planes, Stinger 120 w/G38,  that I still had from the old days back into the air.
I started with buyung a new radio, 2.4, new fuel tanks/plumbing, receiver battery, receiver switch, flight box battery, fuel pumps, carb kit, and a few other odds and ends.
Last year I bought a new GP Pitts M12 for my self for Christmas and it is still here, new in box, as I have not had the money to get started on it.
I hope that somehow I will get it assembled to fly next year. In the mean time I will continue to fly my two 20 year old airplanes. One of them is a Great Planes Fun-One with a Super Tiger .45. Anyone remember that plane?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

"Has the economy affected you RC'ing?"

I didn't bother to vote.
The question posed here...[ to a large enough audience] is like asking, "Does crawling through the desert on a hot day make you thirsty?"..or, "If you stop feeding a bunny, will it die?"

Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

Yes, and I voted early for a real recovery, instead of the same ol thing that hasn't worked the last 4 years.
nute12 Date 10/27/2012 5:38 AM
last 4 years... I have put maybe 1500 into the hobby..... thats like 30 bucks a month. obamanomics sux.
Quikturn Date 10/27/2012 5:50 AM
I have been very fortunate and can say it has not affected me as of yet. I fly a corporate jet. I have been in fear of losing my job ever since 09' although the last year seems better. Making business owners feel guilty for having private jets and talk of a $100/segment fee from current leadership didn't help. Over 1,000 people lost their jobs at my company but we have been hiring some back. If Obamacare gets fully embedded in our economy I will likely lose my company healthcare plan. It already makes financial sense for the company to drop it. On the plus side, I found part time work as a contract pilot flying on the side and my wife found work as well. The down side is that I've been too busy to fly RC much.

We need a change. Vote wisely this November folks.
Wow. Three Obama slams in a row.
I don't blame him myself.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

only 3? it's less than i anticipated. we are up a crick if ya aint figgered it out..... its obvious obama has not. or if he has he does not care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.