ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Model Cessna 337 ARF

Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Seagull Model Cessna 337 ARF

Hey guys here's some pics of my two os46 with pitts mufflers. As you can see the pipes clear the front cowl by an 1/2 inch and I think that will work.
As for the rear motor its a little short from protruding the rear cowl actually alot short. They make a 1/2 inch muffler extension which may work unless you guys have any better ideas. I missed a little bit on the hole for the head of the front engine cowl but I will probably make it oblong. Did you guys mount your engines per the book which was 105mm. I put the rear engine at about that demension but the front one was about 4 1/2 inches from the firewall to the spinner back plate. My reasons for these demensions was so the cowls would fit properly. Anyway let me know if you see any problems with this.

Thanks Joe

aka rcflunky

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44239.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1834355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22280.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1834356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99571.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1834357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36896.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1834358  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We will probably use a 2000mah NiMh 4 cell battery pack. Make sure you run something with a large capacity to take care of running all of those servos. Also, if you plan to run a 5 cell, make sure you regulate it since the charged pack will put almost 7 volts to your servo's and that isn't good for them if they are run unregulated.

I like your engine installs. The mufflers really look good where the stacks will exit. You can use a muffler extension or use some brass tubing on the stacks where they exit the cowl. Either should work fine unless the extension puts the pitts muffler up against the cowl. For spacing, we didn't follow the recommendations in the book at all. Since our carbs are behind the engine, the whole setup is longer and we just mounted them as far back in the stock mounts as possible. Then we lined the cowls up from there. As I mentioned earlier, the fit on the rear cowl was terrible and we ended up cutting it in half and removing 1/4" from the middle and putting it back together. The front cowl was ok for fit. Only real thing I would keep in mind as you do your assembly is that you want the engines as close to the front of the plane as possible for balancing purposes. Although, I doubt one being forward or aft a 1/4" will make much difference.

We have been working off and on through he holidays. We have a lot of little stuff done, but not much to show in pictures. We are in full swing covering now and are going to go to autobody supply Monday to get the paint mixed for the cowls, etc. More covering tomorrow, but here is a sneak peak of some of our progress. (I'll start taking pics with a better camera as we wrap stuff up on the covering job. The crappy camera on my iPhone does not do it justice...)

Name:	Hf98772.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1834927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62923.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1834928  
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe,
Very nice job on your engine mounting and muffler!! I use the rubber muffler extension on the front and back engine and they did workout very good. I have yet to test run the front and back engine to check for proper fuel to the engine. I am not worry about the back engine as much as the front engine. I will be going with a 2000mah NiMh 4 cell battery pack myself. Adam may have found the other push rod exit for the elevator, but there is one just in case we need to use another servo for the elevator. I hope to have the battery pack in after New Year, so I can balance her at the manual 80 MM CG. I hope I don't have to add to much more weight to balance her. I will post her final weight and where the CG fall at. Like I said before, it will not be until spring before I can maiden her. Some how the news got out to some of my club member that I have this ARF, so now I have to take it tomorrow to my local hobby shop, ( the owner is one of my club member ), So they can see it!!! I hate when that happen!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Adam,
Looking very good my friend. It's to bad we can not find retract for this bird. The full scale just look so sweet when the gears are up!!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Sonny It's come a long ways since those pics. I've got everything done on the fuse today( I think) and I'm ready to putfuel in it and break in those engines.
I copied off of Adam on the fuel tanks and bought those hayes 11oz. I also put a fuel filler valve on the side of the fuse for the rear engine cause I dont think theres any other way to fill that tank. I figured the front tank you could just take off the front hatch and fill the tank by taking off a hose. Adam your plane is gonna look awesome with that redbull scheme.

I was wondering what you guys thought of drilling through the two tail booms and aluminum tubes and secure them with screws or through bolts and nuts. Theres room on the center wing portion as well and then you wouldn't have to glue them. I figure this way they can be removable. Or do you think they might have to much play? Anyway just wondering. I'll have more pics of my fuse and assembly progress tomorrow.

Joe
aka rcflunky
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe,
What I did with the wings, I went ahead and epoxy the wings to the center section. I had post pictures of how the wings just do fit in the back of my Ford Escape!! In away I am glad a went that way. The screw way maybe good to hold the wings together, but, I wish they had came out with a better way of holding the wings to the center section. As for the lights, I went with a switch to turn them on and off. The manual do not give you a lot of help putting them in. I went with Deans plugs for the cowling and the wings. So when I need to remove the cowling or the wings, I just unplug them!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's some pics of whats completed. I still need to glue on the tail booms. I went with rubber hoses for my exhaust pipes. Let me know if you guys think I should put more openings in the cowls I'm not sure about the rear motor.

Joe
aka rcflunky

Name:	Om34604.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1835468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66322.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1835469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78983.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1835470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18680.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1835471  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here' some more pics.

Name:	Qo39282.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1835472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95807.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1835473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52382.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1835474  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe.
Looking good!!! I took mines to my local hobby shop today so the owner of the shop could see it, ( he is a member of my club!!!), and we talk about that back engine and more holes in the cowling. We both agree that I should start with what I have and see if the engine overheat. Now the thing he told me not to do was not to run the engines on the ground, because that back engine will over heat. Now you say in your last post that you need to break the engine in. Make sure you do that with the cowling off!! One more thing he told me, was to start the front engine first and than the back and get it moving as fast as you can so that back engine don't get to hot on the ground. Did you put the lights on its own switch?? The weatherman is calling for snow her in the great northwest, so it will be spring before I can fly my Cessna Sky Master. If and when you get your baby into the air, please post a flight report. I have yet to find another thread on any RC forums site about this bird!! Maybe they are watching what will happen here!!!
Happy New Year Joe and Adam!!! May we all have safe and happy maiden flights!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Sonny you have a happy new year as well. Its snowing here in KC tonight as well but if you wait 24 hours in Kansas the weather changes so maybe I can fly this bird soon and let you guys know what its like. I didnt use a switch for my lights cause I figur I could just remove the front hatch and plug the batteries in when I need too. Well I should finish up everything on the plane this week and try to run the engines (without the cowls) and break them in some so who knows maybe next week the weather will be good enough to maiden I hope. I'm curious to how this bird is going to fly. I'll post some pics of the completed assembly soon.

Happy New Year
Joe
aka rcflunky
Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Herc Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sonny and Joe, Happy New Year! Hope you both are doing well.

Joe, your plane is looking great! In reference to making the booms removable with a bolt through the tubes... This would be a fine idea, I would just recommend installing hard points (dowel rod) at the locations you plan to install the bolts. The boom assembly is made up mostly of pieced together balsa and would need a solid point to anchor the bolts through. Also, a suggestion for running in the engines. I agree with all the tips stated above by Sonny and would recommend one more... Since there is no airflow over the rear engine when running a pusher prop, install a standard 'puller' prop for break in and adjustments so you get the prop blast over the engine to help in cooling. Then, if you want to taxi, switch back for a final adjustment and taxi test. Still, be very careful how long you run the pusher on the ground. With no airflow over the engine, they get VERY hot. I have flown a few different pusher designs and they always amaze me how they build up heat. Make sure you go a few clicks richer than you would in a normal setting.

We are making great progress on the Skymaster and should have some more pics tonight.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Adam Happy New Year to you too. I can't wait to see pic of your redbull plane. I was wondering if you or Sonny have figured out what your wingloading is gonna be. I know there all gonna be a little different from each other because of the different engines and things we are using. A person at my flying field says a wing load of more than 20oz might be to much for our 300 foot runway. I seen some big warbirds out there that are bigger than the 337 fly just fine. Anyway just picken your brain. The book says it has a wing area of806sq. in. doyou guys think that is accurate?

Thanks

Joe
aka rcflunky

Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Herc Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haven't had it all on one piece in order to get an AUW or determine CG yet. I think 806sq in sounds about right where it should be. Wing loading may be over 20, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will probably land a little hot, but it's not a floater type plane anyway. Just make a few practice passes and make nice long approaches and I think everything will be fine. My Dad has flown a quarter scale Gee Bee R-1 with a 60 oz wing loading off a 350 ft runway with no issues, so this should be a piece of cake.

We got the paint from autobody supply yesterday and are moving along on covering. Yesterday we finished up the booms (with the exception of the Red Bull logo's) and today we finished covering the tops of the wing panels. Next will be the wing center section. I took a few pics of our progress to this point showing top and bottom of the wings and stab, booms, finished rear cowl ready for paint, and front cowl with cooling vents on the bottom. Probably won't get to anything else major until the weekend.

Name:	Ge94657.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1835992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23839.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1835993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71469.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1835994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80651.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1835995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84256.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1835996  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Adam;
Nice move on the cowl flaps on the front cowling. I think I will go that route too!! I love the wings setup!! I also think the wing loading is okay, but, what I want to find out is the CG on this bird. I know the manual call for 80 mm from the leading edge. I am hoping I don't have to add dead weight to get there. My club field is only 60 feet more than Joe field, and I fly the H9 Jackal 50 off of it!! ( My field is grass!! )
I hope to have it all together next week, than I will put it on the scale and will post the weight here. Both planes are looking good. Keep the update coming!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM
jrb1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Gents!

Can someone tell me the height & width of the front firewall; along with the length of the front cowl?

TIA,

Jim
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jrb1

Hi Gents!

Can someone tell me the height & width of the front firewall; along with the length of the front cowl?

TIA,

Jim
Jim,
The front cowl length is 5 1/2". The firewall width is 6 5/8" and the height is 5 1/2". I hope that helps!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Herc Pilot

We will probably use a 2000mah NiMh 4 cell battery pack. Make sure you run something with a large capacity to take care of running all of those servos. Also, if you plan to run a 5 cell, make sure you regulate it since the charged pack will put almost 7 volts to your servo's and that isn't good for them if they are run unregulated.

No need at all to run a regulator on a 5 cell nickle metal or nicad pack. If they are quality servos rated at 6 volts, they will handle a 5 cell with ease. Mfg's know that a fresh pack is close to 6.9 volts coming off the charger, and build the servos components accordingly. I have JR and Hitec servos that are 10 yrs old that have been run on nothing but 6 volts, and perform as good today as they did when I purchased them. I have seen some lower end servos that were rated at 6 volts, go completely nuts when a 5 cell battery was used. I guess it's all about what your comfortable with and the quality of the electronics/equipment used. Nice looking 336's you guys are assembling. It would be nice if the mfg of this arf would get the aircraft nomenclature right though, as it's a 336 and not a 337.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Herc Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi sj3cub! Welcome to the thread and thanks for the comments.

In the past, I, as well as many others I know, have run 5 cell unregulated packs without any issues. But, I have also seen on two separate occasions where standard duty servos went up in smoke because of a fully charged NiMh pack that was run unregulated. One Futaba 3003 and one JR 517. Granted those were older servo's. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "quality servo's rated at 6 volts". Just want people to be aware that a 2 cell Lipo or Life battery at full charge is much more than the 6.9 or so volts that the other packs put out. I tend to err on the side of caution and follow the manufactures ratings and either run high voltage servos or a regulator on my 5 cell packs to 6 volts just to be safe.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sj3cub;
Thanks for the comments and welcome to the build thread. I wish someone would make retract for this model. It will be so sweet to do low fly-bys like the full scale model with the gear up!!! I am shock that Cessna would let anyone come out, not only Seagull, but there are a few other who came out with the Cessna 336, but calling it the 337!! I have time in the 336 and 37, but love flying the 337!!! Those days are gone!![][]
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Herc pilot, I agree about the older servos. I think some of the mfg ratings might have been fudged a little bit. What king of regulator are you running? I have run nothing but A123's for receiver power for the last 4/5 years with no problems at all. Pretty soon I don't think we will have to worry about regulator at all, as most quality servos will be rated for up to 2 cell lipos. Looks like they have already started in that direction.

Jet22b, I have a few hours in a 337 as well. Very nice under rated twin that really never caught on like Cessna would have hoped. The one I flew was loud loud loud. Nice balanced feeling twin, but boy was she loud inside. In my 35+ years of building models, I have only seen one set of commercial retracts for the 337. They were made by a popular scale modeler named Raymond Torres. He kitted a large scale glass and wood 02A way back when. I think all the funky geomontry in the mains have scared a bunch of mfg's away. I had the KMP 336 years ago when they first came out. I wish I would have never sold it. I am trying my best to stay away from this one, but my efforts are going to be futile I believe. As soon as I finish the projects I'm working on now, I think I will pick one up. Seagull did a pretty good job on the outlines and scale looks. Its a good looking model.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sj3cub;
You are so right about this bird and how loud it was!!! I think this is why Cessna let it go!! I did find a use plane website and was shock at what they are asking for the C-337 today!! Starting in the low 200 thousand dollar and up!!! Come on and join the thread. In your post you said you had a KMP 336 years ago, now you can pick up the Seagull 336 and be happy again!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM
rcflunky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys how's it going? I've got some pics here for you to see. I'm thinking of slotting my cowls to get some more air as you can see and was wondering what you guys think before I gomessingit up. Now be honest is it going to look bad? I just don't want to cut big holes everywhere. I also lined those rectangle slots on the rear firewall with some thin balsa I figuredthis would help the ram air. I was going to do the wing scoop but that looks like major surgery so I will just see what happens.

Joe
aka
rcflunky

Name:	Qo41366.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1836909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32734.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1836910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53675.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1836911  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Herc Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sj3cub,

Here is the link to the voltage reg I use.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVDB0&P=ML

It's from Flight Power.
http://www.flightpowerusa.com/fpwm0290.html

It comes set up to regulate to 6 volts and is adjustable. I like it because it can be run without a switch. You simply plug in a shorting plug to turn it off and there is one less point of failure. Only drawback to this is that it has a little current draw when not in use so the battery needs to be unplugged after a days worth of flying and you need to charge directly through the battery using this method, or a regular switch can be used.

rcflunky,

I wouldn't worry about the front engine cooling so much. You already have two large holes up front as well as the hole for the head cut out. You just need to make sure you have a large area for air to exit. I would do this on the bottom by the nose gear. Rule of thumb is twice the exit area as the intake area. No need to put any holes in the top of your nice, neat cowl, IMO.

For the rear, you are using the scoop as functional and getting air in. We did open up the wing scoop on ours and with a careful hand and a dremel sanding drum, you can open it up quite a bit. We also put small paper tubes around the wing bolt openings so no air is forced that direction and lost. We already have the air exit doors in back and are going to cut slots similar the the ones in the pic below. Finally, we are going to make a few air deflectors from the rear scoop to ram air over the case of the engine. We will be running temperature telemetry to the rear engine and watch it closely during the first few flights. If it looks like we need more cooling, then we will probably open up the bottom of the cowl where the gears would retract.

Adam

Name:	Db84261.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1836966  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM
farfar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,
Just found this thread, been looking for info for a while, I bought this kit a while ago and it is still waiting to be started as a large Decathlon is being worked on at the moment, after a quick look at the manual the first thing that jumped out was that the rear tank is the wrong way round and is way to high, I though I would mount the tank across the fuz I did this on a Long EZE and it worked fine, I intend to use 2 x ASP 52 four strokes what do you think, will keep my eye on this thread with interest as I will be starting the build soon.
simmo
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 AM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joe;
Your C-336/37 is looking very good!! As Adam said in his post, no need to cut slots in the top of the front cowling. You just need a place for the air to leave the cowling after it mix with the heat off of the engine. The picture that Adam post of the rear of the full scale C-337 showing the cooling grills for the rear engine was a big thing on pre-flight walk around. You want to make sure they was open!! Looking at the full scale, the cooling grill maybe a way to go if you have a problem with cooling on the rear engine. That way the cowling will not look so hack up!!! So for now don't hack up your cowling just yet and if you need more exit holes in the rear, I would go with the full scale set up!! Plus it just look so good!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service