Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobby People's VQ-Global 28% Fly Baby ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobby People's VQ-Global 28% Fly Baby ARF

Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby People's VQ-Global 28% Fly Baby ARF

I must admit I quite like the VQ covering. I store my planes in the rafters of my garage where it gets pretty hot in summer. The VQ covering never seems to be affected by the heat, whereas all my other models wrinkle up.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there you have it. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha! quite right. I must confess i dont like it, mainly as its hard to repair and is heavier than film. But, its really not important until you have to repair it!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Kmot

Well after today I have slightly more respect for the VQ covering.

It was starting to wrinkle, a lot. I had inquired to Hobby People, the US importer for VQ models, about the type of covering it was, and if any was available if needed. The CS person responded that it was not heat shrink style covering, that it was sticky back and that they also do not carry spare covering.

However, in the VQ manual it states that if wrinkles develop, they can be tightened up using a hair dryer. Not a Monokote heat gun, but a hair dryer. Since I do not have any hair, I was almost out of luck!

But my wife has one, and so I asked to borrow her "Vidal Sassoon" hair dryer. She looked at me funny at first, until I explained what it was for.

It worked! Quite well, as a matter of fact. All the wrinkles were soon gone and the covering nice and taught again.

In other news, one of the 'pre-glued from the factory' elevator hinges pulled out of the right elevator. [:@]

Not good. I am going to drill and pin all the hinges now.

Since I now own a Spektrum DX7s radio, with the bells and whistles, I am installing the telemetry module. So today I installed an airspeed pitot tube. Totally not needed, but just part of the fun factor.

I am still waiting for the slow boat from China, for my aluminum servo arms and a powerbox. In the mean time, I was surfing the interwebs and came across "Central Hobbies" in Montana. They have lots of great hardware, and at pretty decent prices.

No pictures today. Nothing has really changed much.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Carosel43

For pining hinges i tend to use a servo mounting screw on sport models. The row of little silver heads do not look out of place and many guys at my club have followed suit. as for the telemetry just make sure you dont spend your whole time looking at the little screen and watch your airspeed drop to zero!

Just as a curiosity, which powerbox are you using as i wouldnt have thought this model needed one?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Kmot

In other threads I have been asking about servos, servo extensions, voltage needs, etc. It has been advised that a giant scale airplane should use a double battery system and even double switches. So I started looking at the options, and came across the power boxes. Virtually all of them were beyond my budget, too large in physical size, and more sophisticated than I needed.

Then I learned of a recently developed power box system that has lots of features, is a smaller size, and is very attractively priced. There are actually four levels of sophistication produced. It is called the "Min Power Box":

http://en.rccskj.com/index_en.php

I discovered that Rccskj Co. is producing a version for Hobby King. So I have ordered that one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_Yellow_.html
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Carosel43

To be perfectly honest i would rather fly with standard servos and 4.8v nicads than use any radio gear from turnigy. the failure rate of turnigy equipment is pretty high and ipersonally wouldnt touch it.

As for the powerboxes it depends entirely on your model and what it going to be doing. If for example you had a 50cc or larger 3D modelthen i can see the point as you have high power high current draw servos and you do not want to pull those amps through the Rx. foryour type of model and for warbirds they are really not required. I only ever use 6v NiMh batteries and just run everything through the Rx, my Pacer has this setup as do all of my large models and you have seen how i fly them. I was also involved in the build of a 1/4 scale spitfire witha span of 110'' and a weight of about 60lbs. due to the rules regarding models of that size here in the UK we had to have a dual battery and dual Rx setup but we still did not need any form of powerbox.

Its this kind of thing that i was talking about when i mentioned over complication. The voltage drop over a4 foot extension lead is going to be tiny, the 3300Mah 6v Nimh (sub C cells as AA dont give the current) i have in my all my large models will provide more than enough current to prevent voltage drop and has enough capacity for approx 15 flights. Also 6-15kg torque servos, which are the kindof thing needed for models this size/type,do not draw huge currents unless stalled so again there is no issue there. i would also never dream of usinga lipo for powering my radio gear due to theie fragile nature.

While i agree that larger models do have some different requirements than 40 size models they are quite small changes. upgrading from 3kg torque servos to 6 (or 10kg if used on flaps for example as they have a large area and big deflections), using M3 pushrods not M2 ( 4-40 not 2-56), making sure hinges/horns are a bit stronger, use a heavy duty switchetc etc. The real thing to consider is what the model is going to be doing. are you going to thrash the life out of it, or are you going to just float about, or is it something in the middle. My models are in the middle catagory, my old 100'' C130 was in the float about catagory and flew on 3kg standard servos (all 13 of them!) without problems.

As you have the box now then clearly you might as well use it, but test it very carefully first and at the first sign of anything weird going on get it out of there!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Kmot

I'm not wary of electronics made in China. After all, practically everything these days are. In fact, my shiny new Spektrum DX7s has a sticker on it: Made in China

I am just trying to balance all the opinions I have read. The majority have said high power digital servos require more amperage than a standard battery and switch can supply. Your experience has been different.

I do not want to get caught at the limits of a systems capability. I would rather have a margin of built-in reserves.

Interesting, I discovered something last night. It seems the RCCSJK Co power distribution box is very similar to one designed and produced by an American fellow named Bill Wike, of Wike RC. His was distributed by TBM but is out of stock and back ordered:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCPOWERDIST.html
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I run dual batteries and switches and simply plug them into different ports in the reciever. I have used a Batt Share in the past but not anymore.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Kmot

That is an option I had thought about using. There are advantages to using a powerbox like the one I have on order. Such as isolating the Rx electrically. That alone makes the powerbox very attractive to me.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Kmot

I did some cockpit detailing today.

The knobs and switches are from [link=http://www.aerocockpit.com/]Propag[/link].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82320.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1842788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98267.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1842789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24917.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1842790  
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Carosel43

Oh nice, at least the pilot will now have an idea what is aircraft is upto!!

As for the powerbox thing its my personal preference to just make things really simple. At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no advantage to put another point of potential failure in a plane this size. But that's just me.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Kmot

As for the powerbox thing its my personal preference to just make things really simple.
Ouch!

I see no advantage to put another point of potential failure in a plane this size.
Double ouch!

[&:]
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I want you to review this for the rest of us. I can't find out much about that brand.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Carosel43

Sorry Tom, we are not ganging up i can assure you. The problem with model flying is that everyone has an opinion and everyone is right! the only reason i said anything was because i have seen many people destroy either the model or its flying performance with over complication and the added weight that often goes with it and i did not want to see you have problems with your model.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Kmot

Thanks Jon. No worries mate. I have thick skin.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Kmot

My servo horns still have not arrived yet. But strangely, an order I placed after the horns has arrived before it.

So today I got the Turnigy Power Box (made by www.rccsjk.com ) and I connected up my receiver and a couple of servos and turned it on. It works.

Strangely though, my elevators are now reversed. Curious why it did that but it's not a problem, I will just reverse them again in the Tx.

I connected a 2S LiPo battery to the PB and as you can see it regulated the voltage to the Rx down to 5.2V

Name:	Fd90734.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1843947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15098.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1843948  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Carosel43

If you servos can take it see if you can up the rx volts to 6v as you will get more power from the servo. A fully charged 6v NiMh pack is close to 7v to start with so 6 will do no harm in most instances. Just As far as i am aware all spektrum servos can take 6v
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Kmot

That's one of the nice features of this unit. The Rx voltage is separate, and constant, at 5.2 volts. The output to the servos is adjustable via the regulator screw. So I can adjust the output to 6V. Or even higher for 'high voltage' servos if that is what I was using.

The unit is now installed in the fuselage and I spent some time organizing some of the servo wiring. Lots more to do however.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Kmot

I still have not received my order of aluminum servo horns. This is out of the ordinary. I don't know exactly what to think, but I am guessing they have been lost in transit.

I needed a pair of 18" or so servo extensions to run from the Rx down to the wing openings. I had 12" and 30" extensions on hand. So I decided to cut the 30" extensions down to length. Cheaper than buying another pair of servo extensions at those ridiculous prices they get at the LHS.

My method of shortening a 3-wire ribbon cable is to stagger the cuts. This way I do not end up with a big lump that looks like a Boa Constrictor just ate lunch.

Then I place a length of shrink over the shorter lengths from the splicing.

So I have my aileron extension leads made and in place. I also placed my telemetry unit down with double stick foam tape. I'm trying to keep it tidy looking inside. One thing about the airplane covering though is it has a sticky backside so any wood dust from drilling or carving gets stuck to it.

Name:	Xv63875.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1844712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73158.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1844713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40159.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1844714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97673.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1844715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23328.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	1844716  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Carosel43

Looking good tom. We are lucky here in that we are able to get some accs like extension leads really cheaply even at model shops. They are cirrus branded, but they work fine
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Kmot

Yeah, I know I am "cheaping out" but hey, $10 saved is $10 applied somewhere else.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Kmot

My aluminum servo arms arrived yesterday. Yay!

Today I installed the wide arm for the rudder pull-pull on the rudder servo. It's pretty wide alright/ Maybe I did not need such a big one.

The aluminum arms are too long to use on the elevator servos, because I need to point them up instead of down. So it looks like I will either be using Dubro arms or possibly find shorter aluminum arms.

The aluminum arms did fit perfectly through the openings in the aileron plates so I installed them onto those servos. The Dubro HD ball links I have are for 4-40 screws but the aluminum arms are tapped for 3mm so I had to drill out the balls in the Dubro arms. That was a bit of a trick but I did it.

Name:	Mk25299.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1845702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16438.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1845703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69150.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1845704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk23036.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1845705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17348.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1845706  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Kmot

After thinking about it some, I realized I can just machine those arms shorter. I think I will.

I also decided to go ahead and get some aileron extension wires that are pre-made. I don't have any doubts about my soldering skills. But I was thinking about how the connecting/disconnecting of the wire right at the soldered area could weaken it over time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.