Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Thanks Eric!   I believe it will be a good match too.  It looks awesome and everyone seems to love the plane, I am indeed anxious to get it... Should be here by the 20th... it's my birthday present from my wife!

Grandpooba (great name btw), well I guess you DO love the Revolver!  That's awesome and I don't blame you, it is an awesome plane from everything I have heard.   I do the same, buy a different size if I like the plane a real lot.  I own (3) Big Stik's  40, 60 and giant size.  I love that plane.   My 40 is powered by the OS 55AX, and I simply love that engine, pulls it great and it is quite aerobatic.  I'll post a picture of her soon in this this same thread.  Dignlivn turned me on to the Big Stik 40 and I have never looked back.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Don

Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

STRONG SUGGESTION !!!!

Reinforce the landing gear on your Revolver 70. You will find many threads stating how the landing gear is weak, which I can confirm. Had a very soft landing with my first Rev 70 and the landing gear folded back, with wheel pants putting holes in bottom of each wing. I have repaired the wings and reinforced the landing gear, plane is fine now. Also, due to the fact that I am either flying off of a grass or gravel runway, I have opted on all of my planes to leave off the wheel pants, but that is a personal decision.

As I previously stated, you can find many threads from Revolver 70 owners stating how the landing gear is weak and needs to be reinforced. I have also done it on my second Revolver 70, with the DLE-20 and if I do build another Rev 70, I will be sure to reinforce that gear also.

I reinforced the inside of the fuselage and put a light weight aluminum plate across the entire landing gear on the outside.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Don is that the Big Stick that Tower Hobbies sells?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM
VictoryRoll

Ernie,yes, it is the GP fromTower Hobbies. All f them...<o></o>

Here is the 40 size:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM9&P=ML

Here is the 60 size:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM8&P=ML(I wasthinkingof putting my Saito FA-100 into this, but I justwanted something different, hence the Revolver<o></o>

Here is the Giant Stik:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKJY0&P=ML<o></o>

I LOVE my Stik's... docile and easy to fly (many people use themas a trainer)... BUT when youturnup the volume (throttle&throws), they REALLYperform. Very impressed with theirstrength and quality is very very good (at least for me and it seems most whoown a Stik).

<o></o>

Granpooba: Yes, I have read about this problem.I was thinking of using a different set of landing gear (both front anddragger) your thoughts?<o></o>

First I wasthinking of this:<o></o>

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNM65&P=ML(Ialreadyown this one in NIB, so this is a real possibility)<o></o>

or this<o></o>

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKJY4&P=ML<o></o>

of course all of this isdependent upon the dimensions for:<o></o>

1. axle-to-axle_width)<o></o>

2. depth of plane main gear cutout<o></o>

3. size (x & y) of LG cut-out area, etc.<o></o>

If I do decide to usethe Revolver's landing gear set, I am curious why everyone is marrying the twohalves on TOP of the gear?<o></o>

Why not mount the gearto , say, an aluminum plate, THEN mount the aluminum plate to the fuse?Even if I had to enlarge fuse cutout for LG plate assy.? Yourthoughts?<o></o>

ERNIE, some picsof my Big Stik 40 w/OS 55AX and some bashing. Balances out real well w/elev & rudd servos in rear fuse.<o></o>

HERE ARE SOME PICS!!!!!

http://www.schipanico.com/

<o></o>

Let me know what you think. BTW, I ripped off dignlivn for the idea of the wire-wheels on the Stik 40 ! So kudos go to him!

Thanks in advance toall!<o></o>

Don<o></o>

Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 PM
VictoryRoll

Let me know if you have any issues on the website posted above, Thanks ! Don

The Stik and the Ultimate both need a cleaning, so please ignore... I am usally a fuss-budget with this stuff, but I flew the Stik 40 this past Friday and the Ultimate is basically in storage until I can get a Syssa 30cc gasser for her.

I have a 60 size GP Big Stik too, but that is being stripped to bare bones for a complete recover with different colors (completely). Balck, Gold and maybe purple highlights, not really sure but I have the film Under the table where I assemble (chair is in front of it) are my electrics, a 72" Fox EP (seen here), and am Elec triFly Micro P-51 (see here ... and is a ball to fly)

The workshop is tight but it works great, as I can just motor around on that chair, from station to station (I have a gluing/assembly area where the chair is, a soldering/electronics station to the right, and most of my new accessories/parts hanging or in drawers. The close right area on the low table with the safe is my charging station.

I have wheels on the stand-up table, along with a drafting chair (not in pcture), that I use for fidlling with the plane. The area directly before the workshop is where I wheel my tall table out and work on the planes in a more comfortable/open space.

Not the best, but....

Don

Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Ernie Misner

Don, those are really nice pictures and you did an excellent job of preparing your sticks! Great job of moving the servos back. I understand that and did the same with my Ultra Stick 60 with a ..... Saito 125 on it! Prior to that I had a ST 90 on it with a mousse can muffler and man did that go vertical as well!

Your Stick with the 55 on it - unless you really need that weight of the muffler, put a mac's black one piece muffler on it. The one made just for the 55, not .46. You will not believe how the 55 comes to life with that pipe. Night and day difference. Even if you had to add a bit of weight to the nose somehow, it would still give you a huge thrill to put that pipe on it and that pipe shoud come right out on the bottom like your muffler or even better.

Ernie
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
VictoryRoll

Hi Ernie !

I totally agree on the Macs Muffler specific for the 55AX... I have been waiting to get it, just money (not that it is expensive but other priorities, in which I am sure you understand).  I plan on getting it setup w/ the Macs this winter, while I recondition the Stik 40, tighten all up, refinish some sections, et al.

Thanks for your suggestion as it reminded me I have to get that!

Any pics of your stuff would be fun to look at if you have.

Thanks Ernie, I appreciate it immensely!

Don

Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Don, can't find a pic with that mac's muffler in it at the moment. I do have 2 planes with the 55 and mac's muffler though. One is an OMP Profile 3D plane and the other is a Tower Hobbies Razor 3D (really just a nice sport plane) Did find one wild picture for you though..... lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32831.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1831004  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Granpooba

A one peice solid landing gear would be good on the Revolver 70, but I firmly believe that the weakness is in the fuslage. When my landing gear came off and folded back, it was still all intact and mounted to the landing gear block . Thus, my suggestion that the landing gear be reinforced " inside " the fuselage. I reniforced mine with several peices of triangle stock.

I put an aluminum peice on the outside across the gear and mounting screws as an added precaution. Probably because that is what I found other Revolver 70 owners were doing.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
VictoryRoll

@Ernie:    Great Aeroworks plane, man..... love it... thinking about one later in the year, maybe summer !

@ Granfooba:  I think I am going to go with the one-piece LG, and definitely reinforce the interior fuse mounting area, as you described.  I too, after reading posts in the "larger revolver" thread, that the weak link is the fuse area.
I suspect, and may be wrong, that the one-piece will distribute the forces throughout the LG, not like the two-piece which applies the force at specific points (acting like a lever), as opposed to force/pressure distribution of one-piece LG.  IMHO.

Thank you both for your help and knowledgeable information/suggestions !

Don
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Ernie Misner

Don the Aeroworks profiles are fun sport planes and fly like a trainer on low rates. Some like them for 3D but the ProBro profile guys say they are too heavy for real low and slow, high alpha 3D stuff. Anyway AW makes really nice ARF's.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Granpooba

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Don the Aeroworks profiles are fun sport planes and fly like a trainer on low rates. Some like them for 3D but the ProBro profile guys say they are too heavy for real low and slow, high alpha 3D stuff. Anyway AW makes really nice ARF's.
AW's " OFFERS " some really nice ARF's. But they never did respond or reply when I had a complete tail strutural failure on one of their QB's, during its maiden flight, right on take off. Vertical and horizontal stabs broke cleanly and completely away from fuselage. Gluing / lack of glue and design appeared to be the problems.

Was never looking for a refund or any type of compensation. Only wanted to advise them of the failure and a possible problem with the model. Got no response at all ! [&o]

That is what AW offers ! []
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Ernie Misner

Man that stinkks. Perhaps you should have pursued it more?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
VictoryRoll

Granpooba:  I agree w/ Ernie... I would have been on their collective *****es on a fail like that... but sometimes, it easier said than done, and I understand.

I AM amazed that an American company (which I believe and do NOT know as fact) all of their assy. is in USA????

I wish you the best Granpooba or GranpooBAH in Massachusetts....lol

All you guys have been SOooooo great, I thank you all.

Don

P.S.  Ernie, I put a post in "Larger Revolver" thread about my prop size being incorrectly described originally... taka a looksy and tell your thoughts... Thanks man !

Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Granpooba

Well, for XMAS I received a gift certificate to Tower Hobbies and would'nt you know, they are having a sale on the Revolver 70, thus you can probably guess what I did.

Yes, I ordered another Revolver 70, along with a couple of spinners, Futaba servo, etc. Tower also threw in free shipping and an additional promotional discount. My out of pocket expenses will be $12.95 for all items.

Will put this new Rev 70 away for a later winter project. Am seriously considering putting an OS 22 GT in it. Yes, yes, I know its more expensive than a DLE-20, but I already have a new unflown Rev 70, with a DLE in it.

Am open to other engine suggestions though. But if I go ahead with the GT 22, then I would have in my hangar.

( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by Saito .91
( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by DLE-20
( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by OS 22 GT
( 1 ) Rev 59 powered by OS .55 AX

I really think that this latest Rev 70 wil be my last one ..........

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Ernie Misner

Have you taken a peek at the very lovely Mintor 22cc?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Granpooba

Haven't peeked yet. But I will.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Granpooba

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

Haven't peeked yet. But I will.
Just peeked !

Know of anybody running this engine or any reviews ?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Ernie Misner

Scroll down on this search page and you'll find a few nice threads on the Mintor. They are a work of art and made in Italy. I want one! There is a long thread at the Flying Giants gas forum site as well.

Well the name of the competitors forum didn't come through. The initals are F G.......

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....rchwhere=forum
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 AM
dignlivn

[quote]ORIGINAL: Granpooba

Well, for XMAS I received a gift certificate to Tower Hobbies and would'nt you know, they are having a sale on the Revolver 70, thus you can probably guess what I did.

Yes, I ordered another Revolver 70, along with a couple of spinners, Futaba servo, etc. Tower also threw in free shipping and an additional promotional discount. My out of pocket expenses will be $12.95 for all items.

Will put this new Rev 70 away for a later winter project. Am seriously considering putting an OS 22 GT in it. Yes, yes, I know its more expensive than a DLE-20, but I already have a new unflown Rev 70, with a DLE in it.

Am open to other engine suggestions though. But if I go ahead with the GT 22, then I would have in my hangar.

( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by Saito .91
( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by DLE-20
( 1 ) Rev 70 powered by OS 22 GT
( 1 ) Rev 59 powered by OS .55 AX

I really think that this latest Rev 70 wil be my last one ..........

IMO, You can't beat O.S. for quality. Go for it

Bob