Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Hey all,

Can you guys give me some recommendations for a good all-around INTERMEDIATE (+) plane to put my new Saito FA-100 (Black Knight) in???

I have ALWAYS flown sports models, so maybe something in scale or ...?

I liked (love the looks of the GP RV-4 Giant scale), but it is discontinued. Thinking of a Seagull Pulse, Zlin or T-6A Texan??? Also thought about a Cap 232 or Yak, as I love those designs/looks.

Higher Build Quality planes preferred.

Open to all suggestions all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Don
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM
dignlivn

Default RE: Recommendations for ARF Plane for my (new) Saito FA-100

Maybe the 70inch Revolver ??

Bob
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
VictoryRoll

Hey dignlvn !

I was thinking that too, but for some reason, I have it in my brain it is almost a pattern-type plane... am I wrong? Good idea, thoguh and thanks again !

Any experience with either the Revolver or the Pulse 60 by Hanger 9???

Thanks so much, my friend.

Don
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
dignlivn

I have the small Revolver (59). Have an OS 70 4stroke
on her. It's alot of fun to fly.

Bob
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Revolver 70 with an OS 95V four stroke. It flies it very well. Your Saito should do great in it.

Bruce
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
VictoryRoll

Bob and Bruce,

First, thank you so very much for your fast response.  It is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, if you could, please:
1).   Tell me what "type" of flyer you personally experience/consider the Revolver?  Sport?  Sunday-flyer? Pattern?
2).   I have mentioned the Pulse 60, but neither of yu mentioned it.  Any negatives on it, even if just from a friend's experience(s)?

I am truly considering the Revolver, but just want to make sure.  I, as Bob does, ARF bash a bit and put my own addons, move servos, et al., so any inputs as to "improvements I could do to the Revolver, would be truly appreciated.

Again, I sincerely thank you both!  .... and Merry Christmas and Happiest of New Year's !

Don
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
VictoryRoll

My apologies guys.... I should have spent a few minutes looking at videos before I asked what type of plane it is... obvious it is an awesome sport flyer, for sure.  I love it's looks and the performance seems to be fantastic!

Any suggestions on improvements, as I mentioned, and one more thing... I want to put a Pitts-style muffler on the FA100, any experience in a particular mfr.?  Slimline?  

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Don
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
landeck

fishingships:

1. I consider the Revolver 70 to be a sport or sport-aerobatic plane for intermediate and above flyers. It is smooth and performs all of the sport aerobatic maneuvers very well.

2. I also have the Pulse XT 60 with an OS 61 FX in it. It is not as fast or aerobatic as the Revolver 70 but is still fun to fly. It is more than a Sunday flyer but it also can be used as a first low wing - tail dragger for a novice flyer. It is not a trainer! It does tend to float on landing.

Another plane you might consider is the GP Escapade 61. It falls between the Revolver 70 and Pulser XT 61 in capablities. I have one with a Fox Eagle IV .74 and it too is a fun plane and does all of the sport maneuvers, just not as smooth as a Revolver 70.

With respect to sturdiness, I would rank the Escapade 61 first followed by the Revolver70 and the Pulse XT third.

One last note: I fly all three planes quite frequently and enjoy all of them with the Revolver my favorite, followed by the Escapade and then the Pulse.

Bruce
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
dignlivn

Hey Don

I have no experience with the Pulse 60. The Revolver is a hot rod
to me. A good pattern flyer can make them do everything. I'm a sport
type flyer that fly's almost every day , a couple or three flights a day.

I'm thinking the Pulse is a low wing plane ? Which reminds me of my
Astro Hog. The only negative on the Revolver is the 2 piece landing
gear. JMO.

Bob
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
landeck

ORIGINAL: fishingships

My apologies guys.... I should have spent a few minutes looking at videos before I asked what type of plane it is... obvious it is an awesome sport flyer, for sure. I love it's looks and the performance seems to be fantastic!

Any suggestions on improvements, as I mentioned, and one more thing... I want to put a Pitts-style muffler on the FA100, any experience in a particular mfr.? Slimline?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Don
There is a very long thread on the Revolver 70 in the ARF section and it is still very active:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9143970/tm.htm

One thing you must do with the Revolver is beef up the landing gear mount. That and other modifications are covered in the above thread.

Bruce
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
bikerbc

I have the bigger Pulse and it is a very fun plane..I think its called the 120...I had to glue the Tail feathers on because they would come loose with just the bolts and I moved the Landing gear forward about an inch to stop the nose over tendancy it had...I dont think The 60 size has that problem...I really like the pulse because it is easy to handle yet it will do almost anything you ask...The Pulse has a constant cord wind wheras the Revolver has a double tapered wing...The double taper makes the Revolver much more agile and for intermediate to advanced flyers...It flys beautifully but it is faster and has less self riting tendancys than the Pulse....I agree with landeck that the bigger 60 size Escapade is actually a plane you might want to consider...They are a tough well mannered good looking resonably priced plane...I have not owned one yet but I have flowen a few and they are really nice flying plane, a bit more racy than the pulse , they land faster and dont float as much..They seem to handle much crisper to me...But still very well behaved
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
VictoryRoll

Man... all you guys are really great!  ... and helpful... I owe you all a debt of gratitude for your honest opinions and knowledge.

I will definitely look at the Escapade... for some reason, I thought it to be less of a performer than the Pulse, but that was totally based on conjecture and looks...  THAT is why I so much depend on people like yourselves, who give great responses to my sometimes feeble questions.

Fondest Regards to all of you... and Happy Holidays !

I will give a look at the Escapade and watch a few videos on her.  Might be the answer since you all point out where it sits (between the Revolver & the Pulse) which is probably where my skill set is at.

Thank you so much... keep any thoughts coming, and if I need to use a Pitts-style muffler, any input son that w/ My FA100 Saito would also be greatly appreciated.

Your Friend,

Don
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Yes, definitely read up on that lengthy Revolver 70 thread. It is making me lean towards that Revolver myself. They all say it is a very smooth and easy to fly sweetheart compared to the small Revolver. And can you say 'good looks!'
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Rene3706

Hi Don, just my 2 cents. I have had both the 60 Pulse and 60 Escapade for a couple of years now. Both are great planes and do not have any bad tendancies. Landings are also a breeze. One thing you may want to consider tough, the Escapade is somewhat heavier than the Pulse. I have a 91FS Magnum in the Pulse and it is a perfect match, however I started with the same engine in the Escapade and quickly moved up to a 120FS Magnum. The 91 was okay, but I do not like running an engine at almost full power all the time, where the 120 gave me plenty of reserves. I do not fly fast so this was not a case where I needed more speed. Just a thought.

Rene
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
tesol1

I have the Pulse .60 with an O.S. 75 in it. The plane flies very nicely. It floats in on landings and does not have any bad habits in the air. I would describe the plane as relaxing to fly. I can take it up and cruise around real slow at about 1/3 for a while and shoot the prettiest touch-and-goes you have ever seen with it. It will also loop, roll and do an impersonation of a plane flying on a knife edge . Great plane.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
VictoryRoll

@Ernie Misner, @Rene3706 & @ tesol1:

All great inputs.  Thank you so much.

@ Ernie Misner:  I too have gotten the bug on the Revolver, and the more I read, the more there is to like.  The online videos that show the capability of this plane are impressive, to say the least.  And I CAN say good looks... even GREAT looks !  I am just a tad concerned it may be too much, as it is a fast operator, if you know what I mean.  I am wondering if she can fly slow w/o stall???

Anyone who could comment on slow speed characteristics on the Revolver 70", it would be very helpful to me as well as greatly appreciated!

@Rene3706:  Great data on engine performances... I will keep that in mind.  Lots of people have said the Saito 100 should be a very good match, but I LOVE different opinions and a person with a critical-eye!

@tesol1:  Everything you state is important to me, as I like it slow when I want to relax a bit and just cruise around, trying different settings and such, so your points are very well taken and thoughtful and helpful to me.  I think you for your thoughts.  Anything else would be appreciated... such as how she performs fast and @ full-throttle.  Do you have any concerns on durability?

While I am on durability, does anyone have any thoughts on which would be the best durability, best-out-of-box quality, etc. on all of the planes I mentioned (Revolver 70", Escapade 61, Pulse 60 and the Decathlon????  I am considering all four of these planes and am having a difficult time trying to discern which one best suits me, has great build/quality and flies well, both slow and fast???

Thanks again folks, you have been great to take the time to help me.  I appreciate it.

Don
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

I can comment on the revolver slow flight.We have 2 and they slow down very nicely to land. I have one and my friend thats been flying about 8 months has one. He handles it well..They dont get mushy and the controls work well at very slow speeds.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM
VictoryRoll

Well, after all of my waffling, I went to my LHS (which isn't so local) and decided on the Revolver.  The fit & finish of this plane is so much better than the other two, with AIRE servos tucked neatly in the wing, not sticking out in the wind, a pet-peeve of mine.   

I am dying to get it, but I don't think I will see it before Dec. 24th, maybe?? (which is my birthday!)

Anyway, I am very grateful for all inputs and appreciate all of you for taking the time help me.

I'll let you know how I make out with the build (which should be short & sweet) and it's flight.

Special thanks to: dignlivn & landeck as you both provided me with a great start and great information, as well as your time.  BUT, as I said, everyone has been great & helpful!

@Mighty9:  Your last input put me over the edge on this decision... I thank you.

BTW, dignlivn (Bob), I now understand why your RCU moniker is what it is... flying everyday, 2 or 3 times/day is definitely a good reason to be dignlivn!

Thanks again,

Don
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
landeck

Good luck with your Revolver! I know you will love it.

Bruce
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
dignlivn

Your Welcome Don.

Your going to love that plane.

Bob
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Saito 100 on it, right? That is considerably lighter than some engines people are using. You might have to put the battery more forward, etc.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
VictoryRoll

Eric,

Thank you for that input, as well as your previous ones.  They have been extremely helpful and very appreciated!    Almost as important as your help is your enthusiasm for this airplane model.  I will do my best to balance her (if that is where you were thinking), but if on the power side, I am not sure.  I do know, from reading, that many people put much larger size motors, so  I am a bit concerned whether I have the right match.   I am not Soooo confident in my skills, as a pilot, and at this time believe that the smaller size will serve me well to start ??????

I will remember your advice and make sure I balance correctly, however!  I am an engineer (BSME/MSME & BSCS) so my nature is too check, check, check, check, check, check, check, measure, measure, measure, recheck, recheck, recheck, recheck, recheck, recheck and then check, measure and recheck one more time, before I certify an appropriate balance, lol!  I do !  No, really, I DO !!!!!!!   LOL !

Thanks, my friend, I appreciate you.

Don
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
VictoryRoll

Quick shout out to @biker and @Mighty!  Thanks, man... appreciate.  I went w/ the Revolver and Bith of you hlped me make that decision.  I owe ya's one !

Peace,

Don
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been flying a Revolver 70 with a Saito .91 for a couple of years now.
Just finished putting together a new Revolver 70, which is powered by a DLE-20.
Yesterday I started assembly on my Revolver 59, which will be powered by an OS 55 AX.
Before next spring I may assemble a third Revolver 70 , which would be powered by an OS 22 GT.

Before anybody mentions the Revolver 90, I have already considered it, but not sure that it will fit into my new Hyundai Tucson. [&o]

Need I say more ?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Ernie Misner

I think you'll be just fine with the Saito 100. Like Granpooba said, his .91 works good and others in that thread used similar engines. It will be a real sweetheart, nice and relaxing and a bit of a floater compared to with the big engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.