Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

HANGAR 9 RV8 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

HANGAR 9 RV8 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANGAR 9 RV8 ARF

I ordered a Hangar 9 RV8 and was looking through the online instruction manual. The rudder is set up with a Pull-Pull cable system attached to the servo. I've never installed or used one of these systems. What is the purpose for using this type of control system? Coud I use a pushrod connection to just one side of the rudder instead of the pull-pull?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM
allelectric

Default RE: HANGAR 9 RV8 ARF

The pull pull system is much stronger, and more acurate Yes you could use a push rod. But a big aircraft will burn out servos much faster. I would think.. Idea of a pull pull system is that on large planes you pull on the servo equally going right or left with rudder input. A " push pull system" will tax the servo in only one direction. I fly many aircraft. Anything I fly OVER a 60" or so wingspan. I would have a "pull pull" system on the rudder with a hi tork, metal gear servo.
Of course this is all just my opinion. I fly just sport and mild 3D.

May All Your Landing Be Smooooooth
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the pull pull system is what works best in the airframe.

The key note is that the servo used has a ball bearing on the output shaft due to the tension placed on the shaft.

A metal geared servo or high torque servo is not always needed.

As for tasking the servo only one way, not necessarily true. Servo is tasked the same whether cables or pushrods are being used.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 AM
allelectric

Disagree on that. Personal experience and disassemblying servos after they have failed. SHOWS me that a servo used as a push pull system wears different. AND will fail sooner than a pull pull system. I have seen it in many large scale aircraft. And after watching a 106" yak go down because the rudder servo locked out or froze and took out 2 other servos on the plane. I will use pull pull systems on my large aircraft. Thank you very much. I have not ever lost a rudder servo with a pul pull system. Oh ya the plane that went down was futaba rep. Again my personal opinion from past experience and my own work in RC. Flying since the 80's