Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

E-Flite Albatros Dva

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

E-Flite Albatros Dva

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite Albatros Dva

Any one have one of these yet? I just picked up a kit and could find little about it. So far the kit seems really well made and should go together easily. I decided to go with the 32E motor and 75amp castle speed controler.

I was also looking for a wooden prop in WWI stlye but could not find anything. I read somewhere that I could use a standard wood prop but do not know if I would need to go down a size to accomodate the prop weight.

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated.

Bubba
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

Default RE: E-Flite Albatros Dva

would love to see a build thread on this airplane, have been waiting for this to finally hit the shelves.
jason
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I've got one on the way, I'll post some pics when I get it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
BubbasanJohn

I'm having some one putthis together for me otherwise I would post pics of the assembly. I will post some as soon as I get the plane back from my builder.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
BubbasanJohn

I got my plane back from the "builder". Seems rather nice. The hatch to the battery compartment just does not fit all that well as I would expect on a model of this price. Te builder did not want to start cutting and all on it and to me its not an issue at 150 feet in the air. Just seems that e-flite would have takenmore care of this QA. I read somewhere else on RCU that a guy got this plane and the gear would not fit with out seriously altering the fuse or bending the gear. Im glad that this was not a problem on mine, but I guess problems still loom such as my hatch.

I was concerned at cooling for this model as there no ducts for engine or battery cooling on the Dva. My set up is the e-flite 32 on a 4s 3000 mah lipo and castle 75 ice lite. I used recommended servos and a futaba receiver. I had to add 4-5 ounces of nose weight to get the plane to balance at the back of the CG range. Again, think that E-flite would have worked something out here to make this plane balance correctly with recommended set up. I got the lead as far forward as possible, sitting right under the 32 motor. This was a pain in the rear as its tight. Added some extra lead on the hatch close to the spinner as well.

Maidened today and only needed 2 clicks of down elevtor for level flight. The e-flite 32 motor gives gobs of power and climb out was very quick. Found flying was a little less than half throttle. Has a 10-13 MPH wind so I think that I could have putted around the sky at a bit less on a calmer day. I dont like expo. Think Im going to add it on this model per the instructions. Plane definately likes cordinated rudder for turns. Turning too tight results in loss of altitude! LOL. Forgot what I was flying today. Not a WW2 warbird... Landing was easy. This Dva is a glider. Not a floater, but glides quite well. On a few approaches I was a bit too high to make the landing and even at zero throttle she glided quite nicely by me and I had to go around. After flight, the motor was not hot, dont think I will have to add cooling ducts.

I was forced to land when the esc cut off my motor. Good thing I was high enough and in position for a landing. Think I flew about 5 minutes. Seems kind of short. I did not get a warning from the ESC that voltage was getting low either. 100 dollar speed controller and no pulsing of engine or squat. Was a bit of a shock when the engine died. Anyone have any idea of what the deal is here witht the esc? The pack was fully charged and was not hot after the flight. Volt meter showed 14v after flight. Too much prop? Maybe the esc shut down as it got over amped temporarily?

Anyway, think this plane will be lots of fun. Nice size.Dont have to remove flying wires to fit in my van. Plane is heavy enough to handle the wind (well better than my parkzone Dva anyway). Look out SEa5s, sopwiths et all. Baron von Bubba on your six!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43915.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	1839019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97013.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	1839020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99511.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1839021  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 AM
kork

that is one stunning plane, its hard to tell how big it is, but i guess there will be more threads on it soon. I think I may have to buy one.
Thanks for the report!
jason
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-EFL4605#t2

53" wingspan, 44" fuselage
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have one sitting its box waiting it's turn to be built. I took a quick peak and the quality is outstanding. I'm going to weather it as shown on the Horizon Hobby website, no WW1 plane should be shiny. I"m also going to go with a heavier motor to offset the nose weight needed for balance. Eflite kept this pretty scale so I can understand the needed nose weight. The full scale Albatros had a 700lb motor in the nose. Also by going with a larger motor I'll be able to swing a 15" - 16" prop which is close to scale, the Albatros had a 9' - 9.5' prop.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I also plan on using a Xoar prop.
http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-prop...wi-pjwwis.aspx
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did the outline on this model it was drawn to be exact to the original to include the airfoils. You will need lead on the nose, no way to get around it. This is called out in the manual. Great flyer and presents well in the air. We get 10 plus minute flights with the setup called out in the manual flying at half to 3/4 power.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
kork

John, thanks for the comments and i am very surprised this forum is not going crazy like the evo 10cc forum. I think eflite hit the nail on the head with this dandy! I was at a very large warbird flyin in OwatonnaMN and Balsa USA had a prototype 1/3 scale albatros and it was a very talked about, beauty of a plane!
jason