Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Profile ARF for 20cc engine ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Profile ARF for 20cc engine ?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM
TunnelBill
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profile ARF for 20cc engine ?

Hi,

Looking for some ideas for a 20cc engine I have. What aircraft are available that work well.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Profile ARF for 20cc engine ?

Mojo 65 if you want a kit.

Sorry, just noticed I'm in the ARF forum. Get OMP to make a run of 67" Fusions :-)

David
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Save yourself the trouble on the OMP's... unless you like putting fuselage half's back together. Pretty well known for breaking in half right behind the wing pretty easily. I fixed mine 3 times over the last 2 seasons, so now it's being retired. Building a Mojo 65.

Regarding an ARF, the one that's sold under half a dozen different names is kinda shy of wing area. To my knowledge, if you're looking for real profile performance, I think you'll have to build it? There's just not a lot to them, so the build goes pretty quickly if that's any help.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Redwing R/C. I have the profile Yak 54 and it is the best flying plane I have ever had.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scrap the ARF idea and go with a Primo. You will not regret it. Best advice I can give.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
grossy2

Google up SDSHobby They have lots of profiles to suit a DLE-20
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I personally do not like some of their products, take a look at AEROWORKS. They have profile ARF's that are 20cc ready.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM
daveopam

I love AW, but don't like their profiles.

David
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
TunnelBill

Great info, Thank you for your help.

Bill
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I love AW, but don't like their profiles.

David
I will try to make this as short as possible. I had one of AEROWORKS Extra 300 QB and powered it with a DLE-20. It crashed on its very first take off, with total destruction. Upon examination it was determined to be a total structural failure. The complete tail assembly, both vertical and horizontal stabs broke away from the fuselage. It appeared to either be poor design/weak fuselage and lack of or poor gluing practices by the factory.

I contacted AEROWORKS in regards to this failure. Mind you I was NOT looking for any type of refund or compensation as I only wanted to advise them of this failure. Well, needless to say, I received NO response from AW's. Nothing !! NADA !! ZIP !!!

Keep in mind that I will be 70 years old and building model airplanes since the age of 8. If that is not enough then I will add that I spent 4 years in the USAF , in aircraft maintenance. Still if that is not enough then I will add that I am a retired ATP " Airline Transport Pilot ". Thus, when I know when I see a structural failure !! Evidently AW's does not and refuses to fess up !!

Can only add that I would be very careful in what I purchase from AW's. Maybe just a tail wheel assembly would be fine.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Ernie Misner

Man, that's a bad experience with AW, sorry to hear that. It seems to be unusual too, makes it hard to swallow.

Yes, the AW profile is not popular with the hard core 3D guys. It comes out too heavy for down low 3D. Dave knows what he is talking about there. There IS a ton of info on putting the 20cc on one here at RCU however. Check out Goose's ProX260 Build Thread or many other threads. If you don't care about hard core 3D, there are guys at the local field with the 20cc on AW profiles that have tons of fun with them. Hey, and I still have one in the box..... Dave, will you buy it from me?..... Seriously it is going to be my 20cc test bed plane and hopefully I'll wring it out good.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM
ahicks

Ernie, without going into a lot of detail, I bought/built an AW Yak 90-120, powered it with a DLE 20. To say I was less than impressed with the construction is an understatement. Point being, I don't think his is that big an exception? From what I've seen they're over rated and overweight.

And you are right. The difference in wing area on the available ARF profiles is most noticed in the low and slow stuff - and I'm a far cry from a hardcore 3D capable. More a wannabe? I have learned enough to have a clue about what I'm looking for in a plane though.

The SDS ARF profiles/lookalikes are pretty well known for shaking the front end apart. Unless something has changed, if somebody is going to build one, they should seriously consider reinforcing it. That's not to say the rest of their planes are bad though. SDS planes not that bad at all as a rule? I've built 2 of their 30cc planes as well as a 50 and they were fine. No worse than the AW I had at minimum... The planes Team sells are drop shipped from here as well. Team is just a middleman (without inventory) with no better customer service than you would expect from SDS or other Chinese distributors!

Too bad about the lack of available good ARF profiles. Somebody is going to hit a home run when they come out with something that closer to being right. They're a complete blast to fly, even if you're a 3D hacker just out boring holes in the sky! I think the more guys that see and fly them the more demand there will be?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
daveopam

To be clear on my point. I do not own a AW profile and never assembled one. I have had my hands on the sticks though. There are full fused planes that will out fly these profiles. It should not by that way IMHO. Profiles should not only do hard core flying better than a full fused plane, they should be easier to do it with. Otherwise, whats the point? I think profiles are ugly. But I own and enjoy flying them for what they will do.

david
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM
daveopam

To be clear on my point. I do not own a AW profile and never assembled one. I have had my hands on the sticks though. There are full fused planes that will out fly these profiles. It should not by that way IMHO. Profiles should not only do hard core flying better than a full fused plane, they should be easier to do it with. Otherwise, whats the point? I think profiles are ugly. But I own and enjoy flying them for what they will do.

david
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
jbarnes

I've owned a AW Proxy with DLE 20 for two years now. I really enjoy it. Really great when you want to throw around and not take the trailer. DLE 20 seems more touchy on needle settings than my other DLE's. Jerry
Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 AM
TunnelBill

I'm looking for a good sport plane to learn how to hover and some other things. I am not a 3D flyer at all. I have been looking at the AW but it is on the small side with a 56 inch wing.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM
ahicks

What are you planning on using for power?

What have you been flying most recently?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
daviomaron

There's just not a lot to them, so the build goes pretty quickly if that's any help.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 AM
TunnelBill

ORIGINAL: ahicks

What are you planning on using for power?

What have you been flying most recently?
Motor is XYZ 20 from VV R/C. Planes are LT 40, GP 40 Stick and GP 60 Stick, GP Giant Stick on the work bench being built.

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 AM
ahicks

Funtana would make a pretty good sport plane maybe? You'd need to learn to manage your speed with it though. Use a 6" pitch prop, no more. When you start getting into planes like these, they have some really big control surfaces that like to blow off pretty easily. They need to be built carefully and use of HD pushrods/hardware mandatory!

It's not the best flying plane, but it's light and has a lot of wing area - 2 big steps in the right direction?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 AM
TunnelBill

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Funtana would make a pretty good sport plane maybe? You'd need to learn to manage your speed with it though. Use a 6'' pitch prop, no more. When you start getting into planes like these, they have some really big control surfaces that like to blow off pretty easily. They need to be built carefully and use of HD pushrods/hardware mandatory!

It's not the best flying plane, but it's light and has a lot of wing area - 2 big steps in the right direction?
That might be a better option for me, what plane you thinking of Hanger 9?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
ahicks

That's the one!

Regarding those control surfaces? The last one of these I saw flying was DLE 30 powered. WAY too much power (yes, just right for some mad men!). The pilot forgot about that and started clowning around trying to buzz another plane in the air with him - and gave us all a reminder about what can happen in a spectacular mid air explosion!

He let it go wide open a little too long, long enough to get his ailerons fluttering, only instead of letting go as would normally happen - they held on and started the WINGS fluttering! That's generally a bad sign of things to come, and sure enough, they disintegrated in mid air. What a show! Nothing can be blamed on the plane either. That's 100% pilot error - and he fessed up to that before the parts even started hitting the ground....

That was over a year ago, but I heard he has another on the bench right now - with that same DLE 30 in it... I had one with a 26cc RCGF in it and that power was about right. Great vertical! The DLE 20 makes about the same power - but is 8oz or so lighter. That's about perfect in my eyes...