Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Howdy all. I know very little about ARF's but I feel the need to get something up fast. My kit builds are going slowly and the optimum flying season is pretty much now for where I live. I am somewhat of an experienced pilot and can handle planes like the 4 Stars fairly easily. In this case I would prefer a high wing bolt down set up but a low wing is ok as long as it's pretty "Forgiving". I would prefer a tail dragger and if it's a high wing, I would prefer see through windows. As far as engine goes, it WILL be a 4 stroke!

Key words, very nice 40 size forgiving high wing tail dragger that looks like a real plane and will accept a Magnum 52 4 stroke. And yes, I did my taxes today and am already spending my refund.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Try one of these:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1271]The World Models P-56 Paulistinha[/link]

It's a Brazilian version of aCub. Scale? pretty close. Bolt-on wing and nice colors.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

I would also take a look at a Hangar 9 Cub.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

Try one of these:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1271]The World Models P-56 Paulistinha[/link]

It's a Brazilian version of aCub. Scale? pretty close. Bolt-on wing and nice colors.

Thanks Geoff. That pretty much is what I'm looking for, however I have always shied away from Cubs because of what I have read about ground control, the lack of dihedral and the necessary rudder input. But, maybe it's time I get over that and just learn how to fly Cubs. I really like the looks and the price is right.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

I second the paulinista, but the cub would be ok too. Cubs can be a handful on the ground but fly very well.

Ed
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Try one of these:

Thanks Geoff. That pretty much is what I'm looking for, however I have always shied away from Cubs because of what I have read about ground control, the lack of dihedral and the necessary rudder input. But, maybe it's time I get over that and just learn how to fly Cubs. I really like the looks and the price is right.
I have one with the magnum 52 that you have and I absolutely love this plane, ground handling really isn't that bad, mix a little rudder in with ailerons and enjoy
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: rc34074

I second the paulinista, but the cub would be ok too. Cubs can be a handful on the ground but fly very well.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The ground really wouldn't be a problem for me. I once raced 12th scale pan cars and they have so much steering, it's flat out stupid. As far as the Cubs go, the traditional yellow Cub is not an option for me. Everybody has one and it's been done to death. I really like the looks of the Paulistinha if I could ever learn how to pronounce it. It's definitely different and has the looks I'm looking for, but am still looking for suggestions.

The Toledo Special 40 looks sort of interesting although a bigger engine is required. Ill use the search function to check it out.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

The Toledo Special 40 looks sort of interesting although a bigger engine is required. Ill use the search function to check it out.

Thanks guys.
I also have the Toledo with a satio 80 in it, it's a blast to fly
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
cubcrasher

Trust me Gary, if you can handle a 4 star on the ground the cub will be a breeze. Practice taking it off
in the grass and stand behind it. You will be surprised how quick you get the hang of it. Also you could add
a little color to the Hangar 9  cub if you like. I have never owned one of these but I have flown a couple for
guys and they are sweet.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
hugger-4641

Tango .40 would be a lot of fun if you can find one. Horizon show's them in stock.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decathlon or a pheonix rainbow?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM
freeonthree

I suggest a Piper Cub and a lawn chair, my favorite combination. Dennis
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

If you can find one, a Goldberg Tiger II ARF would be exactly what you're looking for. However, a 52 four stroke would a bit light- it would fly, but you'd have no reserve power.

If you plan to use that 52, then I would second the Cub recommendation; or a Goldberg SkyLark 56 ARF.

Yeah, I'm not much help by suggesting these discontinued airplanes... sorry. But that Tiger II is as honest a low-wing airplane as you'll find; period.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
oldtyme

Gary.............Great Planes Big Stick 40.........you'll never look back!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Gary.............Great Planes Big Stick 40.........you'll never look back!!!!
Ibid on this suggestion.

It may not be a looker, but ooh does it fly well, and do everything you'll want.

You'll laugh at the wind too, repairs are a breeze, landings are easy, rugged and you CAN 3D with it.

Also great for breaking in engines too.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Try one of these:

You say you want a high wing tail dragger and you are worried about ground control? Make up your mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM
GaryHarris

Maybe I'm just better of a pilot than I'm giving myself credit for. I prefer tail draggers. I could probably fly anything I wanted to I just don't have enough stick time yet to be all that confident in my ability's. I have maybe 300 flights and have only busted one plane and that was because of not doing my due diligence on the ground. The one thing I found is that I seem to fly those 4 Stars better than trainers like the LT40. It goes where I point it and yet still floats in on landings.

I'm not tied into any engine right now since I still will have to buy it. A little bigger shouldn't be a problem. I can't consider a Big Stick. I just don't like the looks. I'm still leaning towards Geoff's suggestion, or possibly another Cub. I would consider a Pulse XT 40, but wouldn't it be kind of duplicating the 4 Stars? I have built and flown the 40 and the 60, and have a 60 about 90% framed now. And if this any help, I'm building a BUSA 1/6th Sopwith Pup right now and if there is a plane that would me make the transition from something like a 4 Star to the Pup, that would be a bonus.

Thanks guys. RCU Rocks!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
SrTelemaster150

Howdy all. I know very little about ARF's but I feel the need to get something up fast. My kit builds are going slowly and the optimum flying season is pretty much now for where I live. I am somewhat of an experienced pilot and can handle planes like the 4 Stars fairly easily. In this case I would prefer a high wing bolt down set up but a low wing is ok as long as it's pretty ''Forgiving''. I would prefer a tail dragger and if it's a high wing, I would prefer see through windows. As far as engine goes, it WILL be a 4 stroke!

Key words, very nice 40 size forgiving high wing tail dragger that looks like a real plane and will accept a Magnum 52 4 stroke. And yes, I did my taxes today and am already spending my refund.

Thanks in advance.
If you aren't aginst going up a little in the power, a Sr Telemaster is the best taildragger trainer bar none.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM
JeffinTD

These fly great, look great, and can be very aerobatic on high rates.

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC83ARFB.html

Ground handling is also good.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM
freeonthree

Why would you want to mess with nitro fuel ? Get one of those new 10 or 15cc gas engines. Then your fuel will cost 5 bucks a gallon instead of 20. Also, spark plugs don't burn out like glow plugs, and you won't need a glow starter. I flew nitro for years, YUK !
Granted, 4 strokes put alot less oil on your plane to wipe off, but gas doesn't leave any residue to speak of, sweeeeeeet ! I don't miss my small fleet of Saito's at all. Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Why would you want to mess with nitro fuel ? Get one of those new 10 or 15cc gas engines. Then your fuel will cost 5 bucks a gallon instead of 20. Also, spark plugs don't burn out like glow plugs, and you won't need a glow starter. I flew nitro for years, YUK !
Granted, 4 strokes put alot less oil on your plane to wipe off, but gas doesn't leave any residue to speak of, sweeeeeeet ! Dennis
Too dangerous for where I live. I have a small apartment with no outside storage possible unless I rent a storage space. Gas is not an option right now.

Jeffin TD. I was eyeballing the Rascal and did a search for it here and didn't come up with much. Ill try You Tube.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
freeonthree

Then leave the gas can in the vehicle. Problem solved. Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

No more problems, GO TO THE DARK SIDE. That size of plane is purrfect for an electric motor.
No mess, no take 20 things to the field, and if u have three or four batteries you ll get decent flying time[:'(]
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not people a Cub is not a good choice for an R/C trainer. If you are not rudder profficient your airframe won't last long. The H9 25% flies just like it full scale brother and if you no anything about flying you will understand my warning.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
freeonthree

He's right on... When I take my Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub out, I can get there late and still fly 4 packs before anyone flying gas or nitro is ready to fly. Seems like they work for 20 minutes to fly for 10. I just slam packs and fly, fly, fly. Oh, and did I mention, electric birds always start right up too. No tuning or foul language required. Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.