Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM
R PILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

I am a newbie to this forum but have been browsing for a while without registering. My recent experience with Nitro planes has prompted me to register to warn others. I am also curoius as to if others have had similar experiences with this company.

I have been flying an Easy Star for about a year and figured I'd upgrade to an Art-Tech Diamond 2500 motorized glider I bought from Nitro planes. I flew it once and grazed a tree with one wing which for the most part destroyed the wing. I thought no problem, I'll just order a replacement. This is where the problem begins. I call up and after being on hold for 10 minutes I finally get a rep on line so can order new wings. He tellls me that they don't sell replacement parts for this plane (I wish they would advertise this fact). He says I may want to try the company that is in China but couldn't even give me a phone number. So now I have my saved money invested in this new glider that is essentially USELESS.

I STRONGLY recommend avioding this company oin general. With that being said can anyone recommend another motorized glider that is relatively easy to fly and RTF out of the box?

Thanks you for any support and BEWARE OF NITROPLANES AND THEIR PRODUCTS.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

I'm so making a bag of pop corn for this one..... I haven't bought from them before but have several friendsthat have and theyhad no problems.. I cant really see how you crashing your plane makes them a bad company and I mean no offence by that at all.. I do agree, they shouldsay something aboutthe fact that you cant buy replacement parts, but I don't know that I would bad mouth them for it.. They don't make the planes, just ship them out... Welcome to RCU...

Jimbo
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot's of stories about these folks . A guy in the club found out the hard way too after getting a damaged plane shipped to him and getting the run-around for weeks , no replacement part sent and a $15.00 credit to his CC on a $200.00 plane................whoopie !
The best thing to do , as you did now, is ask for opinions about what type of plane and the company you may purchase it from. I'm sure if you posted before you would have been warned to proceed with caution.
Avoid getting sucked in by looks and a cheap price as most of the time that's all it is....window dressing.
Also proceed with caution with Hobby King as they are another one with customer-disservice.

This is a well built plane and comes from a company with excellent support and available parts.
www.horizonhobby.com/products/radian-rtf-PKZ4700#t1

Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check out the powered gliders in " Tower " and "Hobby Lobby " ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
flyinwalenda

I looked around a bit and I see Banana Hobby( yet another company to proceed with caution) sells it too but doesn't show a wing set.

Here is the manufactures web site showing a parts list:
www.art-tech.com/english/ArticleShow.asp

Here is a place that shows stock:
hobbyfly.de/en/rc-airplanes-1/aircraft-spareparts-209/art-tech-parts-299/art-tech-diamond-2500-spare-part-252/

another that shows coming soon:
www.wowrcmodel.com/spare-parts/art-tech-spare-parts/diamond-2500-spare-parts/5u021-main-wing-set.html

How bad is the wing damaged? Depending on the foam type these things can go back together and be made as strong or stronger than when new. Take some pics and post them. We may be able to help you repair it !

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Sgt Shay
My Feedback: (4)

LOL you hit a stationary object then bad mouth the company. That doesn't make sense. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
1320Fastback

Your supposed to land in trees but not hit them.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

The whole concept of selling spare parts is fairly new and just because a company doesn't do it isn't a reason to hate. Here is an idea...check first before buying a plane to see if spares are available.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Sgt Shay
My Feedback: (4)

Who needs spare parts, just be a good flyer and don't crash. Geeez.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
radius1x1

Hey R Pilot,
I agree with you. Any company that doesn't support its own products ain't worth a sqawt. The idea that "they just ship it" does not absolve them of the responsibility of spare parts nor any warning thereof; that's pure "bull" . They are a hobby company; act like it and learn the meaning of "customer satisfaction" and fair trade. We all crash sooner or later and need parts. Should not it be logical to go to the place of purchase?
I'm glad you took the time to post your experience and hopefully a newb won't fall into the same Chinese trap.
These moron deserve to be bad mouthed, maybe even subjected to the Chinese water torture. Buy from American companies and leave the fools to Nitroplanes....
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
bladebender

I bet the plane is not that much money .Just order a new one
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: radius1x1

Hey R Pilot,
I agree with you. Any company that doesn't support its own products ain't worth a sqawt. The idea that ''they just ship it'' does not absolve them of the responsibility of spare parts nor any warning thereof; that's pure ''bull'' . They are a hobby company; act like it and learn the meaning of ''customer satisfaction'' and fair trade. We all crash sooner or later and need parts. Should not it be logical to go to the place of purchase?
I'm glad you took the time to post your experience and hopefully a newb won't fall into the same Chinese trap.
These moron deserve to be bad mouthed, maybe even subjected to the Chinese water torture. Buy from American companies and leave the fools to Nitroplanes....
The language is a bit crass.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

[img][/img] I'm so making a bag of pop corn for this one..... I haven't bought from them before but have several friends that have and they had no problems.. I cant really see how you crashing your plane makes them a bad company and I mean no offence by that at all.. I do agree, they should say something about the fact that you cant buy replacement parts, but I don't know that I would bad mouth them for it.. They don't make the planes, just ship them out... Welcome to RCU...

Jimbo
On the money jimbo
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM
toolmaker7341

To bad you didn't take the time to READ under Airplane Parts to find out what airplanes the carry parts for. Never bad mouth a company because YOU CRASH and didn't take the time to find out if they carry parts untill after you crash.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Come on guys[:@]. The one that has never crash a plane raise your hand.
He is not blaming the co for his dumb thumbs, it's absolutely unfair to trash a perfect plane just because a wing.
Besides we all know that to a tree balsa & monocoat taste like chicken
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 AM
tlj125

In this General Taos chicken!

Welcome to the hobby. Do what I do when I crash a plane- go buy or build another one. You are lucky when you can find a company that has spare parts. Even then, they don't carry them indefinitely. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Sorry about the bad experience. The FlyZone "Calypso" would be an excellent replacement with readily available parts from Tower Hobbies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88431.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1845542  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
[email protected]

I DO NOT CRASH MY AIRPLANE DOES
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

This thread should be called "WARNING, AVOID TREES!"
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Oh, and BTW, what do you call this on their website? http://www.nitroplanes.com/sppaforelai.html

Not to sound mean or anything, but go buy some foam safe C/A or 5min epoxy and go to town. Chances are it will be okay. No need to bash them because they don't offer parts for your particular model.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most ARFs of the type you purchased are throw away.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
83scamp

I've only bought from Nitroplanes once, and it was a good experience. I bought some servos right before Christmas, and the order was processed fast, and delivery was fast, so I have no complaints.

As far as your issue, crashing planes is part of the hobby. A lesson I learned a long time ago. A couple of things I was told by the old-timers when I started: If you're not crashing, you're not flying, and all planes have an expiration date, it's just not printed on them. If you're not willing to deal with that, best find yourself a new hobby.

It would be nice if you could get spare parts, but I started flying in an era where your spare parts was the pile of balsa sheets in the corner of your shop. There was no such thing as mail ordering a replacement wing. It was buy another kit, or make the parts yourself. In my opinion, that's part of the problem today. Everybody wants instant gratification. Nobody wants to build anymore. It's obvious by the way "arf's" have taken over the hobby. I myself have 3 kits in the basement that I plan on finishing this winter. None of them small projects. But, that's what I enjoy about this hobby. Building a plane and watching the fruits of my labor take flight.

It's a hard lesson, but you might as well learn it early...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Oh, and BTW, what do you call this on their website? http://www.nitroplanes.com/sppaforelai.html

Not to sound mean or anything, but go buy some foam safe C/A or 5min epoxy and go to town. Chances are it will be okay. No need to bash them because they don't offer parts for your particular model.
There is a need to bash them for not selling and supporting their planes. The link you put up is bogus. Almost all of the "spare parts lists" are always out of stock. the only reason they put them up is so you will "think" they sell spare parts for these planes and buy them.
I have had crappy servos from a plane that I returned for over 6 months now and every time I call them on it, they say "oh, you still want them?" I don't think I will ever get them.
Just because a business sells a product for less than everyone else does not give them an excuse to say "well it is cheaper than everyone else so lets sell them crap, have no warranty or support". that is crappy business in my book. I am self employed and if I did that, I would be out of business.
Nitroplanes, hobbyking and Bannanna could be the best if they offered honest shipping and product support but they don't so they have an F rating with the bbb!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

My experience has been that the cost of replacement parts isn't worth the money. A little more money would buy another plane. For example, Value Hobby sells a great flying .60 Stik for $88 plus shipping. A replacement wing is $55 plus shipping. To me that isn't cost effective. In the event of a crash you might as well repair the old wing or buy another plane.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM
[email protected]

WELL SAID I LIKE TO BUILD BUT DO GET A RTF ONCE I N A WHILE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.