Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Super Chipmunk 90

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Super Chipmunk 90

Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models Super Chipmunk 90

ORIGINAL: RevGQ

You guys are going to make me build another chippy. Thanks for the inspiration.

Get 'er done Dude. There's nothing holding you back but, money and time.

RJ

Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
rowdyjoe

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

I still have a Great Planes giant Super Chippy ARF NIB...

Not sure if I want another large plane at this time...

Bill S.

Do you attend the meetings? You know the group I'm referring to don't you ...."Foot Dragger's Anonymous".
Get her built. You'll be glad you did.

RJ

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

The WX was so nice today I took the Chipmunk out for a spin, I got four flights in, I keep working on how to get the elevator in line with the horizontal stab, moving the battery helped on making it fly better but the elevator is in the same position ( off center [:@] ) a club member saw the elevator position and suggested to check the engine truss angle, I then put two washers on the top of the engine mount but I guest that was not enough to make a difference on the elevator, tomorrow I will make sure the truss angle on the engine is change by adding whasers to the top screws on the mount then I will go back to the field and put some more flights in.

Talking about flights I keep flying her and even with the elevator down she did awesome, TOs were straight and firm and the landings smooth and stable all the way down with and without flaps.

A very interesting thing happened on the last flight ( I had intentions to take her up one more time [&:] ) but this prevented me from flying her again one last flight ( tomorrow will be another day see picture [:@] close enough )

A missing wing hold down screw, yikes!! [:@] I did make sure both were tightened down before that flight but things happens I guest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94300.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1852294  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM
rowdyjoe

CARS II,
Make sure your rudder is absolutely aligned with the vertical. Fly the airplane straight up with the top of the plane facing you and make sure it's close enough that you can see what it's doing. Do not trim it and let go of the stick ...let the airplane show you what it's doing. If it pulls left you probably need to angle the engine/motor to the right a bit.
Most, but, not all, installations take a bit of right thrust but this process is the best way to tell. Add washers under the left side of the engine mount. When you get the yaw fixed, go to the next step.
Set the elevator trim so that the elevator is exactly aligned with the horizontal. Fly the airplane straight up so that you can see the side of the plane. Do not trim the plane and let go of the stick. As it climbs watch to see if it pulls toward the gear or the canopy. If it pulls toward the gear it probably needs washers under the bottom of the engine mount to give it up-thrust. If it pulls toward the canopy then you need washers/spacers under the top of the engine mount to give it down thrust.
Be careful about what you're seeing. As an airplane slows down doing straight up the torque of the engine will usually pull it to the left. Wind can also give you a false indication so, be sure what your seeing is the airplane's performance and not caused by wind or torque. This applies to both processes.
Now, if you added washers in any location, re-fly the vertical maneuver and watch what the plane does. You may have added too much or not enough. Take plenty of fuel with you and start early. This procedure could take a while. Hopefully, you'll get the engine aligned fairly quickly but, you never know until you do it.

Some manufacturers build the engine angle into the airframe when they make it but, some don't. They leave it to the owner to set it up they way they want it. Take a look at your build manual again to see if they mention anything about the angle of the engine. A common requirement is about 2 degrees right thrust and 1 or 2 degrees of down thrust and that's a good place to start. However, the best way to tell what she needs is to fly it and find out. Otherwise you're just guessing. You should pick a day when the winds are light so they won't affect the airplane as much.

Good luck,
RJ

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM
CARS II

RJ

Thank you for the advice, this is what I did today.

I took the Chipmunk to fly today and performed a series of flight tests. I added three medium washers to the top screws of the engine mount.

First flight, straight verticals the airplane was pulling to the wheels but not to hard, on level flight from half throttle to full, no climbing.

Second flight, straight verticals the airplane was flying straight non-stop, on level flight from half throttle to full, no climb, zero.

On previous flights before I added the washers it flew like the second flight, I added the washers and it started doing other things,

On both of these flights the elevator remained in the same position, after I removed the washers I took her up and she did not needed any trimming [:-].

Conclusion: it did not made any difference changing the trust angle on the engine to correct the elevator position, what it did was to add instability to the aircraft.

I'm done, I will fly her as is, any ways she is a great flyer

One other thing I did was to change the metal wing hold down screws for nylons ones, on my last flight today I was flying her at a low throttle but very high, well the engine quit on me, no sweat I glided her all the way down but came in with a bit of extra speed she went off the runway into the short grass and flipped over [:@] with this I can tell you that the landing gear passed the test and it held on.

I have decide to use the four strokes OS 91 Surpass, I will mount it on next week and with that also the cowl, then to fly the heck out of it

Name:	Om32011.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1852644  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
rowdyjoe

CARS II,
One more test ...how does she fly inverted? If it takes too much forward stick to keep her nose up then she's out of balance. She should fly with very slight forward pressure on the stick or no pressure (perfect flight balance).
Put her back on your balance machine in an inverted position and double check that your CG is correct to the manual. OR ...you can add or take away weight at the field after each flight to get her balanced. Sometimes the CG is not where the builder says it is.

If none of this helps get that elevator level with the horizontal you have an incidence problem.

By the way ...you'll love the .91 surpass. I had one a short time ago and it was a real beauty. Strong and reliable.

RJ
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
CARS II

RJ

On inverted flight just like you mention she only needs a slight forward pressure when on a full tank to half tank, if the Surpass is heavier plus adding the cowl may move the CG forward, if it moves I will move the battery back to the second position where I had it against the back of the fuel tank, that should do it. [8D] With the CG that she has now I noticed that the glide isn't that flat.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
rowdyjoe

Sounds like it's balanced then. If the incidence is OKthen I'm out of ideas.
Just one more reminder ....Your plane should balance on the CG with the fuel tank empty. If not, you'll get a false balance. If the tank is installed in the factory recommended position it should not affect balance in flight. If it does, it's not in the right place. Otherwise, the CG would change as fuel is used during flight.
Bottom line ....if you're happy with the way it flies then don't worry about it.

RJ
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
CARS II

Yeap!

I'm happy the way it flies so I'm going to concentrate on flying her ( just a thought, maybe the front of the elevators are not aligned with the rest of the elevator....................mmmmmmmm )

Thank you for all your suggestion.

PS: Don't worry be happy fly the heck out of her be happy
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
CARS II

Finally gave in and order me a Great Planes E-Chipmunk from TH, looks like I have all the electronics already only need the airplane and props
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
rowdyjoe

Update on the restoration of my Great Planes Super Chipmunk:
I took the repaired wings to my buddy yesterday and we covered the repaired spots with the correct colors of monokote. Wow, this guy is good. It looks brand new. I wish I had his skill. Idid learn some valuable covering tips from him and I'll be able to do a better covering job next time I need to do it.
The aileron and flap servos are installed and working and all I need to do is get my muffler back from my welding buddy. Ineed to pick up some decent wheels and install the muffler and the engine will be ready to start. This G38 has a spring starter and I've never used one before ....it will be interesting. I've seen it done on video and it looks fairly easy but, I'm hoping Ican flip start it by hand.
Once I get everything assembled I'll take some pictures and post them here.

RJ
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM
CARS II

Nice that you are continuing the repairs on your Chippy.
I took a closer look at the Aztek Chippy and looks realy nice just the right size too 30cc, it will be my first gas

Pictures will be nice [&:]
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
rowdyjoe

Although I still need to install the muffler and receiver, I put the wings and cowling on and took a few pictures. Pay no attention to the itty bitty wheels, those are very temporary.

RJ

Name:	Da83226.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1853821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66348.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1853822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24804.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1853823  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
CARS II

Awesome looking Chippy, the covering job looks excellent, can you give us the spects, weight, prop, wing spang, servos you are using, radio, and of course I for one want to see her fly so, you show us the remaident flight or I will fly into DFW to see her fly personally ( I can be there in 3 hours any give day ) your pick

Ps: I would prefer the video but don't tell anyone about it
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
CARS II

RJ

I keep looking at your Chipmunk, I think it looks spectacular, can't wait to hear the flight reports
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
rowdyjoe

CARS II,
Come on down !
It will be a while before the first flight because I'm having engine trouble now. I should have known better ...the carb needs to be rebuilt. Imanaged to get her started and running well but, after she warmed up real good it started surging rapidly. That indicates a vacuum leak to me so, I'll replace all of the gaskets and internal parts and get it running right before Ifly it. I want to give this engine a fair chance but, if it doesn't want to run right I'll put a 52cc gas on it that Ihave on the shelf.
The recoil spring starter takes a little getting used to. Ismacked my finger pretty hard with it the first time Itried to use it. It hurt so bad I thought Ihad broken it but, it turned out to be a minor cut. I wore a heavy glove after that. It will also start by hand proping so, Imay remove the spring ...it's just added weight.

The recovered area is on the bottom of each wing. I have one wing on the work bench now so I'll take a picture of the repaired area so you can see the covering job. Surprisingly, the factory applied Monokote is still pliable and shrinks up nicely. Iworked it over with a heat gun and an old cotton sock and it came out very well.

I'll let you know when I finally get around to the first flight and I'll try to get someone to record the flight.

Almost forgot to tell you some of the specs on this bird. It supposed to weigh around 13 to 14 lbs but, Ithink it may weigh a bit more. Wing span is 81" .....and I can't remember the rest. Here's a link to the Great Planes info page .... http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma1303.html

RJ
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
maekju

ORIGINAL: maekju

Nice model and looks like she flies great. I just bought one of these two months ago used. The wings are joined already and it has the retractable landing gear. I also got two O.S. 91 Surpasses with it and a lot of misc. stuff all for a $100. I don't know if mine is older then the one you got or not. Looks like the decals were on yours out of the box, mine are not. Always wanted a Chippy now I got one. I have something else on the building board now and a repair to do on another plane then I get this one going. Should be ready by the spring, can't wait.
I ran into the same guy I bought the last Cippy from again. He said he had two more engines NIB. One is another O.S 91 Surpass II W/pump and a O.S. 120 Surpass III W/pump. And guess what, another Worlds Model Chippy w/retracts NIB. Picked it all up for $250. So for $350 I got three O.S 91S w/pump, one O.S. 120 S III w/pump and two Cippy's Cmon spring [8D]
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
CARS II

Ok, stop bragging about it and sell me the Surpass II, I like to have another one for my TF P-47. [8D]

Sharing is gooood
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
CARS II

Finally got to work on the cowl, this takes lots of time because the rule measure twice cut once, also the throttle push road is a pita to bend the right way to get it to work properly, in order to mount the engine as far back as possible I had to modified an engine mount bolt some.

Name:	Yw68117.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1854374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49621.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1854375  
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
CARS II

I found this nice video, it is Great Planes 120 Chipmunk with a YS 140.

If it doesn't inspire you I don't now what will [&:]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZIt...PgGykVRS35i7P0
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
CARS II

And here of another one with Art Scholl himself flying the Chippy.

All I can say is !AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kHTmYjBQk
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Looks great in the air.

As I rememebr the ARF, there is a choice with the wings. they can be left seperate to make it easier to store or glued together.

Is the design strong enough to be used with seperate panels or shoudl thery be glued?

30CC gasser should be nice in that.

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the wm and great planes chippie for 8 years the gp chippie has a os 120 four stroke with apc 16x6 both good flyers

Name:	Ay75143.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1854808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61099.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1854809  
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoops got the rv-4 the first time its also a good flyer
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
rowdyjoe

Great videos CARS but, you know how Ifeel about music.

The one with The Man himself is great. Ihad forgotten what a terrific showman and pilot he was. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I got my engine running just fine today. Turns out that the vacuum leak was caused by the smoke system. I had attached a hose to the vacuum port in the carb adapter but, did not block it off. (Duh !) It dawned on my this morning as I was sitting at the computer having my coffee. My check valves had arrived and I was thinking through the process of installing them and that's when it hit me. That was a real forehead slapper.
Anyway, she cranked right up and ran great. I was able to tune it to get a very good transition and top end (tach read 7950 with a 18x8 prop). It idles OK around 1800RPMwhich is great but, it will eventually die. The engine sat unused for over a year and the diaphram dried out. I believe it's too week now to pull fuel at low RPMand that's why it's dieing at idle. The carb kit should be here in a couple of days and I'll be able to cure the problem (hopefully).
Iordered a new 7 channel receiver for this plane from a reputable guy on-line but, the USPSmisrouted the darned thing. It was due to be delivered on the 19th and I still don't have it. This is the first time they've messed up on any of my mail so, I shouldn't complain too much but, Ineed the receiver. This bird could fly tomorrow if Ihad the receiver. I could just crank the idle up to keep it running at low RPMand fly the heck out of it.

Thanks again for the vids. Enjoy your Chippy. Iknow I'll enjoy "Mr. Chips"

RJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.