Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Super Chipmunk 90

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Super Chipmunk 90

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models Super Chipmunk 90

ORIGINAL: CARS II

Geneh
I picked up mine at the Airborne warehouse in Livermoore, the owner ( a very nice man ) said that they are not offering them with retracts any more because the need to have the axle of the wheels forward, in line with the wing leading adge. With the retact ones you can bend the forward but then you can't retract them back up.

I have noticed that having the wheels in the forward position gives the model a very stable handeling on the grownd, specially during landings.

The landings on this airplane are incredibly smooth and stable, once it rotates for the three wheel touch down it just continues in that attitude 'till it touches the runway.
Hmm! I'm finally getting one of the early versions with retracts ready to fly again. I bought it many years ago from a guy who flew it twice, then was in such a hurry to unload it that I bought it complete with a Saito 100 and all servos for $230! Given that we usually have a cross wind at the field, life could be interesting! [X(]
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up the same older version and we're getting it ready with a YS 91 for power.
We'll be watching with interes, t your future posts.

Thanks,
paul
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Wow!

RJ congratulations on your finding, it is nice to know you will have the opportunity to fly her again soon.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 PM
CARS II

Rc f

keep us posted on your progress please, any pictures?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM
CARS II

Well, it has been some time since I posted, here is what has happened with my Chipmunk. As you know she landed twice passed the runway because the engine quitting on me at the wrong spot also I did rebuild the landing gear mounting rails.

I had yet another landing away from the runway, she landed flat and without damage again, the main gear wires got bend during that crash landing but the rails stayed right in the wing so, my rebuild in the area worked just fine.

The engine is now working flawlessly and it doesn't miss a bit, I went to fly today and got 6 flights, all I can say is this is one super airplane and with the OS 91 mounted on the nose you can't ask for more the combination is just awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62765.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1887822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32160.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1887823  
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: CARS II

Wow!

RJ congratulations on your finding, it is nice to know you will have the opportunity to fly her again soon.
Yeah, well ...I did get him airborne for 1 1/2 flights. He flew well on the first flight and the engine ran fine but, he needed some control adjustments. So, Ilanded early and adjusted the control throws ...more aileron and elevator. The first landing was a piece of cake.
Irefueled and tookoff again and the engine dropped rpm almost to idle. I had altitude but, a strong tail wind and landed long off the south (ruff) end of our runway. It appeared to touchdown well but, there are a lot of ruts, holes, etc, out there and it ripped the landing gear rails out. Iwas so mad I wanted to spit nails. Anyway, I'm almost finished with one wing and need to repair the other. I broke both gear the same way. At least I touched down on the both mains equally.
The gear sockets on this plane appear to be a weak spot but, I'm beefing it up as you did and it should be fine afterward.

I also need to find out why the engine dropped rpm so drastically. I've had throttle servos go bad and come loose from their mount before and that's what this acted like. Ihaven't had a chance to check it out yet but, you can bet I will before Ifly him again.

RJ
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
CARS II

RJ

Sorry to hear that, You know that I now what it feels when something like that happens, the difference with me is that I wanted to spit bullets .
It does sound like the servo is acting up, that was my first thought.

All ARF build airplanes have this thing of having weak mounting rails.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM
CARS II

Paul

Congratulations on your new acquirement, this airplane will give you many flights and fun, the YS 91 is an excellent engine for this bird, a suggestion to use a heavy prop on this engine is in order here, she can go fast but I prefer to use all the extra power to make my climbs about the same speeds as I make my level flights.

Flying mine with the OS 91 is a joy I can only imagine how it will perform with the YS, got any pictures?

Keep us posted on your progress please.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The YS 91 is giving us a little grief and is very difficult to start. I've run into this before and I suspect the the "factory " settings are a little off...especially the brass regulator screw.
It's gonna take some fiddling but we'll get it and then report back on the maiden.

paul
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM
CARS II

Very nice Paul.

Don't forget to check the one way check valve.

I hope you can get it resolve soon, flying season is here [8D]
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 AM
rowdyjoe

Mr. Chips is close to ready. I found the issue with the throttle (linkage had come loose) and repaired it and now need to double check all connections and control functions. I would have been finished this evening if a flying buddy hadn't dropped by to visit. I can't work and talk at the same time so, I stopped work and did some "hangar flying".
He'll be ready to go by the end of the day tomorrow but, the weather may not cooperate until Thurs. We have high winds in the forecast again.
I'm looking forward to getting him airborne again soon.

RJ
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
CARS II

Very nice report RJ.

Now, make sure you shake this guy wings hard and show him who is the boss here [>:] make him understand that he is to perform flowlessly from now on and that he will give you many, many enjoyable flights.

I wish you the best and most sucessful re-maiden flight [&:]
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 PM
rowdyjoe

OK. I'll tell him to "straighten up and fly right".

RJ
Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
CARS II

That's what I'm trying to say here [:@]
Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
rowdyjoe

I finally got him back together and ready to fly. If it doesn't rain, I'll be flying tomorrow.

RJ
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 AM
CARS II

I will cross all my finger for you, I know you 'll do fine

Good luck on the maiden.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM
rowdyjoe

Phooey, it's raining.

RJ

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

What an airplane! This one is a keeper! For reference, my usual plane is a Focus Sport pattern plane with a 120AX. Had two flights with the Chipmunk today after sorting out a range problem. Even with the gear well back because of the retracts, I had no problem tracking on takeoff. That Saito 100 is way too much power! Minimal trim required in the air two clicks right aileron and one click down elevator. Tracked really well on Cuban 8's and stall turn. Inverted need just a touch of down. Elevator and ailerons a little more sensitive than I like. Full aileron roll just over 1/2 second. I did set the controls a little higher than recommended though. Floats in beautifully for landing, even without the flaps. Managed a 3-pointer on both landings even with a too-sensitive elevator. (40% expo now, will probably decrease throw a bit and go to 50%)

Need to sort out a couple of problems. I can't get the idle low enough that the plane will sit stationary on the runway. Was taxiing a little too fast, went off the edge of the runway, hit a gopher hole and gently nosed over. This was enough to bend one gear leg! I have a Rambler 45 with retracts and the original retracts were also very soft. The replacements were better, but still not great. Has anyone come up with better gear legs?

Today was decision day for the plane. If I didn't like it, I'd try to sell it as I have a shortage of storage space. Well, I'm already planning on cleaning up the plane, adding a nicer pilot (Barbie) and better cockpit detail, cleaning up some of the decals... Will also run through the trimming exercises to make it even better in the air.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
CARS II

RC F

congratulations, I have mine set to 40%, really soft in the center yet very sharp when it comes to rolls and snaps, rolls are very crispy and very axial, inverted like yours only needs a soft push.

Have lots of fun flghts with your Chipmunk
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
CARS II

RJ

Anything to report?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
rowdyjoe

This is a short and rather disgusting report. Iarrived at the field Sat. afternoon and unloaded the fuselage and sat it on one of our tables under our awning. Iwent back to my truck to get the wings and before Icould get back to the table, the wind gusted and blew the fuselage off the bench. The fall broke off the right elevator tip and broke the top of the ruddeer. That ended my Chipmunk flying before it started.
The repair is fairly minor but, it's frustrating. It could have been much worse if it weren't built so tough. I've had so much trouble with this bird that I feel like it has gremlins.

Bottom line, I should have followed my instincts and gone home. It was too windy to be fun anyway. I estimate the gusts were around 25mph + with a steady 15mph breeze.
Moral of the story ....follow your gut feeling.

RJ
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM
CARS II

RJ

So sorry to hear that, I will look at it this way, the airplane save itself from destruction ( not saying from you but mather nature ) with the gusty winds who knows what would had happened, he allow the wind to knock him off the table knowing he was going to come out with some bruises but alive for another day with more calm winds ( I prefer to think that )

No seriously, this is what happened to me last weekend, I take my 4 Start 60 to the field ( love this airplane, had it for 4 years ) a few hours before that I removed the 65 LA it had on ( worn out ) and mounted my OS 70 Surpass 4 strokes, this is a fairly new engine ( love that engine ) all is ready at the field, the engine gets adjusted and it is running awesome as usual then I turn the engine off refuel end started the engine again to go flying at that moment I noticed that the engine is moving more than usual so I stop the engine and inspect the cause, I found the engine mount was cracked on one side, with this I had to put the 4 star away to change the engine mount later, this is how I end up with 6 flights on my Chipmunk that weekend ( I had it as a back up in the truck )

The thing is that I totally forgot to check the CG after I mounted the OS 70, after I changed the mount I got to check the CG and it was off by 1/2 in. from the most rear position where I had it, had I taken the 4 star up that day I think I would have had a very interesting and almost out of control flight.

This is why I say the airplane save itself from total destruction by allowing that to happen I'm just saying.

Name:	Ki18131.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1890842  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 PM
CARS II

RJ
Don't give up, he is almost ready, I know he will make you proud on your next weekend out to the field with him, I understand and it can get frustrating at time, give yourself a brake if you feel you need it no need to rush and you have nothing to prove.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
rowdyjoe

That could be it but, I have a really sad tale to tell about the airplane that I did attempt to fly on Sat. I took my H9 Sopwith Camel to the field along with the Chipmunk (now repaired) and when Mr. Chips was blown off the bench I made the dumb decision to fly the Camel. It has a 15cc gas engine on it and flies very well with it. However, after mounting the new custom Jtec muffler on it I failed to check the CG and, sure enough, it was so tail heavy that it was uncontrollable. After wrestling with it for a couple of minutes it finally crashed nose first and severely damaged the airframe. Iguess two stupid mistakes in one day ties my record from last year when I crashed two airplanes in the same IMAC contest and never completed the first sequence.
Stupid knows no bounds.

RJ
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
CARS II

Oh yeah! been there done that probably twice in the same month [:@]

My record is two jets within 60 days, the first one did a stall on down wind and could not recover, crash and burned, the second one got away from me and lost sight of it 'till it was to late also crash and burn, man! I felt so bad for a long time [:@] but I recover in the end and kept flying

Name:	Sq46916.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1890858  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.