Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2524

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hits and Misses of H-9 Corsair

I documented my flap mod on RCCanada..

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=116759
    Don\'\'t be divided from the truth by what you would like to believe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

ORIGINAL: flying_lion

reinforce the firewall
    I am looking at the picture that you posted above and I am curious - did you glue an additional piece of ply to the outer sufrace of the firewall? I am getting ready to rebuild/replace the firewall on my corsair. I didn't allow enough speed on take off, the corsair stalled and ripped the supre tigre engine off causing the blindnuts to pull through the firewall. There is no damage other than the firewall itself. I saw your picture and I am wondering which way is the best way to fix my firewall.....adding a new piece of ply on the outer face of the existing firewall (with lots of epoxy to fill into the cracks) or attempt to remove and replace it with a new firewall. I am leaning on attaching a new piece of ply ontop of what is already there.
    If you cracked your firewall, do not attempt to remove it. Try to push it in as far back to its original position by clamping. Yes I did add a piece of aircraft ply (epoxied)., not sure if it was 1/8'' or 3/16'', but it could have been the latter. BUT FIRST I made a template of the firewall, location of the blind nuts/thrust lines. I also fibreglassed the firewall from inside the fuse, attaching the fibreglass to the firewall and the side of the fuse and fuel tank area. Adding a 3/16th. ply did not make any noticeable change to how far the cowl's flaps extended over the fuselage. I cannot remember if I used epoxy or hysol glue (similar to epoxy) but much stronger to attach the piece of ply to the firewall. Either one is good enough. Hysol takes overnight curing.
    Going the other route by removing the old firewall you might run into more problems in regard to the engine thrust configuration.
    If your blind nuts are still in their original position, you can use them to your advantage when glueing the outer piece of of 3/16'' ply, use bolts and washers to pull the old together with the new firewall. I hope this will help you. I also drilled 4 holes for dowels to fuse the two firewalls together, as you can see from the pictures.
    Fantastic points all around and thank you for answering my questions! I am glad that I did not attempt to remove the firewall, I completely overlooked the engine thrust configuration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Angel18........If you check what DANGARAS done with his on RC Canada it's quite similar to mine. You can also check on RC UNIVERSE I posted pictures of my modification. RC Universe H9 Corsair Flaps....Page #7 Posts # 166, 172, 174. If you have any questions we'll help you out.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood # 61
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

reinforce the firewall
    I am looking at the picture that you posted above and I am curious - did you glue an additional piece of ply to the outer sufrace of the firewall? I am getting ready to rebuild/replace the firewall on my corsair. I didn't allow enough speed on take off, the corsair stalled and ripped the supre tigre engine off causing the blindnuts to pull through the firewall. There is no damage other than the firewall itself. I saw your picture and I am wondering which way is the best way to fix my firewall.....adding a new piece of ply on the outer face of the existing firewall (with lots of epoxy to fill into the cracks) or attempt to remove and replace it with a new firewall. I am leaning on attaching a new piece of ply ontop of what is already there.
    If you cracked your firewall, do not attempt to remove it. Try to push it in as far back to its original position by clamping. Yes I did add a piece of aircraft ply (epoxied)., not sure if it was 1/8'' or 3/16'', but it could have been the latter. BUT FIRST I made a template of the firewall, location of the blind nuts/thrust lines. I also fibreglassed the firewall from inside the fuse, attaching the fibreglass to the firewall and the side of the fuse and fuel tank area. Adding a 3/16th. ply did not make any noticeable change to how far the cowl's flaps extended over the fuselage. I cannot remember if I used epoxy or hysol glue (similar to epoxy) but much stronger to attach the piece of ply to the firewall. Either one is good enough. Hysol takes overnight curing.
    Going the other route by removing the old firewall you might run into more problems in regard to the engine thrust configuration.
    If your blind nuts are still in their original position, you can use them to your advantage when glueing the outer piece of of 3/16'' ply, use bolts and washers to pull the old together with the new firewall. I hope this will help you. I also drilled 4 holes for dowels to fuse the two firewalls together, as you can see from the pictures.
    Fantastic points all around and thank you for answering my questions! I am glad that I did not attempt to remove the firewall, I completely overlooked the engine thrust configuration.

I uploaded another picture.............The firewall fuel proofed less engine. Looking back at my records, I did use Hysol Loctite two parts mix. It is stronger than Epoxy. You can also use DEVCON EPOXY. I'm disappointed with the GP Epoxy.
    Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94295.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1580151  
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Garthwood,
    I'm finishing up the flaps on mine and just saw post with your engine. What size is it? I'm planning on putting a 20cc gas, any thoughts........
    Been playing around with this Bird for almost 2 years time to finish and fly her
    JT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dangaras

I documented my flap mod on RCCanada..

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=116759
    Good job by the way.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx. Will need to post final pix when the gear arrives.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Easy Flier

Garthwood,
    I'm finishing up the flaps on mine and just saw post with your engine. What size is it? I'm planning on putting a 20cc gas, any thoughts........
    Been playing around with this Bird for almost 2 years time to finish and fly her
    JT
    The engine is the SAITO 100. This Saito 100 fits this Corsair and has enough power for this warbird. Keep in mind the weight if you're planning on putting a 20 cc engine. Not all 20cc gas have the same weight. Defenitely you'll need to cut more the cowl for a 20cc installation. I uploaded a picture of my Corsair with the cowl on. A 20cc gas in my opinion is an overkill, but that's my opinion. With your electronic ignition and another battery for that, not that much room in the fuse left. The EI as i hear should be as far away as possible from the RX. You need to research on RC UNIVerse, find out if others have installed a 20cc and what they think about that.
    Installing a 20cc gas, you also have the firewall issue. Keep that in mind. A 20cc is the equivalent of a Saito 125. And I have that on a TF HAWKER SEA FURY which is around 13.5 lbs. Another issue is, if you plan to use the stock retracts you'll probably run into some weight problems. I upgraded mine to the Sierra Giants 95 Degs. rotating retracts especially designed for this Corsair. It can handle up to about 15 lbs. But modification is required to the retract bay.

Name:	Ec87192.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1580383  
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Easy Flier

Garthwood,
    JT
    The engine is the SAITO 100. This Saito 100 fits this Corsair and has enough power for this warbird. Keep in mind the weight if you're planning on putting a 20 cc engine. Not all 20cc gas have the same weight. Defenitely you'll need to cut more the cowl for a 20cc installation. I uploaded a picture of my Corsair with the cowl on. A 20cc gas in my opinion is an overkill, but that's my opinion. With your electronic ignition and another battery for that, not that much room in the fuse left. The EI as i hear should be as far away as possible from the RX. You need to research on RC UNIVerse, find out if others have installed a 20cc and what they think about that.
    Installing a 20cc gas, you also have the firewall issue. Keep that in mind. A 20cc is the equivalent of a Saito 125. And I have that on a TF HAWKER SEA FURY which is around 13.5 lbs. Another issue is, if you plan to use the stock retracts you'll probably run into some weight problems. I upgraded mine to the Sierra Giants 95 Degs. rotating retracts especially designed for this Corsair. It can handle up to about 15 lbs. But modification is required to the retract bay.
    What size Master Airscrew 3-blade prop is that and how does the Saito handle it? Speed? Power? RPMs?
    If a crash is inevitable, hit the softest, cheapest thing you can find, as slowly as possible.

Djsdog

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop in picture MA 14x7 Static. For Flying I favour a Graupner 14X7, 3-blade propellor very effecient. Never tried the MA 14x7 so I don't have the info that you want. My Saito 100 is fairly new maybe about 3 gallons of Powermaster Heli. At just over 1/2 throttle it's moving pretty fast, and it can also fly quite slow. Take offs are short, this engine and size of propellor are a good combination, within limits of Saito requirements. On take offs I have to keep the tail wheel down until it picks up enough speed. It will be interesting to try a 15x6/15x8 3-blade. But that's later. Meanwhile the 14x7 3-blade is doing a very good job.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx. Will need to post final pix when the gear arrives.
    What gear are you using ?
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i recently purchased a used h9 .60 corsair, this week i purchased the upgraded factory retracts (the originals were the old style loop over the ball) not the new cap over the ball. i want to move the retract servo out into the wing instead of using 1 servo and those bent rods. i have searched and searched for a post where a guy moved them to be adjacent to the aileron servo. but cant recall his exact setup. anybody know the post im speaking of ? and where it is located ? thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Garthwood,
    Thanks for all the great info. I also have a Saito 100 I plan to use on the Corsair. Is the exhaust plain stock or do you use any kind of 90 degree manifold? Did you have to relocate the engine mount T-nuts or not?

Nick

PS. the new H9 Corsair 50 according to specs looks too heavy to me, I would recommend people to wait for some flight reviews before buying
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection when there is nothing left to take away (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
    Club Saito member #814, Spitfire bro #230

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Search RCUniverse for "craigrcu" & his corsair flap mod. Ithink somewhere in that thread there are a few pix of the servos mounted in the wheel well. Icould not get the wheel well covers to fit doing it that way, Iwent for e-retracts from RCLander instead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: w1nd6urfa

Garthwood,
    Thanks for all the great info. I also have a Saito 100 I plan to use on the Corsair. Is the exhaust plain stock or do you use any kind of 90 degree manifold? Did you have to relocate the engine mount T-nuts or not?

Nick

PS. the new H9 Corsair 50 according to specs looks too heavy to me, I would recommend people to wait for some flight reviews before buying
    Nick.............I used a 45 degs. Saito extension (I think it's the one that came with the engine) Saito also have a right angle, 90 degs. and a straight extensions. I just had a quick look at mine and it's the 45 degs. one. I did not relocate the firewall blind nuts (we call them blind nuts in North America). The engine mount screws into these four blind nuts. The engine thrust lines are OK on this Corsair, follow what the manual says. The 45 degs. manifold can be angled to aim down and center.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Search RCUniverse for ''craigrcu'' & his corsair flap mod. IÂ*think somewhere in that thread there are a few pix of the servos mounted in the wheel well. IÂ*could not get the wheel well covers to fit doing it that way, IÂ*went for e-retracts from RCÂ*Lander instead.

Craigrcu did a good job on this one, he aimed at doing it close to scale to deploy the flaps. If it's the LADO retracts you're referring to they're quite nice. They're much simpler than the air up/air down or air up/spring down. Wise choice. At the time I was putting mine together, there wasn't much talk about them and some difficulties of getting them too.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks Dangaras, i got up this morning and just went for it. it is recovered and complete now. works perfect. servo install went quite nice. rod ended up being aproxx. 4.25 inches long. i used jr 791s. one is the reversed servo. i did move the location of both rod connections on the bellcrank to the outer holes. i think this is as good as it gets with the upgraded factory retracts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

thanks Dangaras, i got up this morning and just went for it. it is recovered and complete now. works perfect. servo install went quite nice. rod ended up being aproxx. 4.25 inches long. i used jr 791s. one is the reversed servo. i did move the location of both rod connections on the bellcrank to the outer holes. i think this is as good as it gets with the upgraded factory retracts.
    NP..... Err, does that mean you used the stock setup or did you do the 2 servo solution? Do you have any pix of the effort??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i did the 2 servo setup. i didnt do pics but it was quite simple. used one peice of lite ply 40mm x 73mm in each wing, reinforced with 1/4 in stock at ends. servo laid flat with bottom facing forward. could probably use standard servos in this config, not pricy retract servos. required a peice of 3'' x 4'' covering to repair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

i did the 2 servo setup. i didnt do pics but it was quite simple. used one peice of lite ply 40mm x 73mm in each wing, reinforced with 1/4 in stock at ends. servo laid flat with bottom facing forward. could probably use standard servos in this config, not pricy retract servos. required a peice of 3'' x 4'' covering to repair.
    When doing some kind of modification it's a good idea to take pictures as you go along. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    When I added flaps to my Corsair I took progress pictures, I was able to pass my experience to other modelers.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here it is! it comes with flaps, just been presented at Toledo, to be deliver late July. It comes from TopFlite...
    Fallow this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNARYE&P=G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gibatta

Here it is! it comes with flaps, just been presented at Toledo, to be deliver late July. It comes from TopFlite...
    Fallow this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNARYE&P=G

Gibatta.............thanks. I was at Toledo, but I guess I missed it. So much to see. But as always all ARFs are to be inspected and reinforced. I don't take ARFs manufacturers for granted . I still do the extra work no matter what. It's a bit too late to complain if that ARF falls apart later, their guarantee is not worth the frustration later.
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DECEASED 09/10/11
    Three years of fun and I stalled it about 50 feet off the ground.
    No time to recover; Phatbob sad...........

Anyone know where there may be another in stock?

Name:	Db84658.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	1660119  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's too bad, sorry to here it. Mine is on extended leave as the horizontal fins are broke at the fuselage. Thinking of getting a new fuse and stabs but am also considering the TF corsair as well and it comes with flaps. That or the 50 size corsair from H9. Flew one a couple weeks ago with a Saito .91 and it flies awesome. The detail and changes are worth noting.

Shane
    Colorado-rc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

DECEASED 09/10/11
    Three years of fun and I stalled it about 50 feet off the ground.
    No time to recover; Phatbob sad...........

Anyone know where there may be another in stock?

Sorry about your plane..
    If you're down around N Florida I'm thinking seriously about selling mine. Most of it is still in box; although I did add flaps to wing. I also have a new 20cc gas still in box I was going to put on it. My new job has cut back any time for planes and building....

JT

Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast