Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Electric Retracts for .60 Size Corsair?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Electric Retracts for .60 Size Corsair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Retracts for .60 Size Corsair?

I want to convert my Hanger 9 .60 size Corsair to electric retracts. I would appreciate any suggestions as to which are the best for the least buck.

Bill
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
spd101

Default RE: Electric Retracts for .60 Size Corsair?

I'm looking for some for my corsair and p-40
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi.
Go to Hobby King and have a look. The price will knock you over. The cost for shipping + item is very reasonable.
I have never had a problem with Hobby King, and have been purch from them for several years now.
Just my 2 cents.
Ken (Starfighter)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I have the TF 60 sized Corsair, and I got a tip from someone here on the forums to use the retracts from the 1700mm FMS Corsair. They should arrive at my house today. I'll post up as to how well they work and if they are robust enough.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 AM
irocbsa

I received the FMS gear last night. Overall, I have to say that I am impressed with the physical construction for the $70 price tag. The gear comes with nice struts equipped with torq links and 4" wheels that look quite scale. Too bad they won't fit in the wheel wells of the Top Flite plane without cutting out the old well. Maybe I'll do that in the future, but for now I'll just use a set of 3.5" wheels I have laying around.

The gear are definitely not drop in, but the work required to use them isn't too terrible. The body of the gear is significantly longer than E-Flites or other similarly sized gear. Maybe this will translate to more robustness, only time will tell. Since the gear case is so much longer (they take up the entire length of the pocket in the wing), you will have to trim the balsa wing sheeting all the way to the leading edge and then lightly sand a portion of the leading edge and the main spar for clearance. You will also have to add a hardwood rail on top of the existing rails to keep the front of the gear case from punching through the sheeting on the top of the wing. This is the biggest drawback to this set of gear since the wheel will now stick up out of the wheel well by about 1/4". It's not the end of the world, but the scale nuts won't be happy with it. If I get a chance I'll post up some pictures tonight.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

I would like to see the pictures of the FMS retract installation. Sure can't beat the price. Apparently they just plug in to the receiver so you don't need anything else except the struts and wheels. Thanks for the replies.

Bill
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
irocbsa

I should also mention that if you want to use the supplied oleos, you will have to open up the area where the old wire strut passed through the spar. Reinforcing the spar after doing all of this is probably a good idea.