Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VQ Dego Red still flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VQ Dego Red still flying

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default VQ Dego Red still flying

Back in late 2008 I started a thread on this plane and since I got out of the hobby for a little better than 2 yrs and had a few good flights with the Dego but just recently got back into flying again so Got a old trainer from someone to knock the rust off my thumbs and it all came right back to me so a few flights on that trainer then I got the good old Dego fueled up and running nice and went for it. Nice smooth take off, Put the gear up and gained some altitude to trim it in then had some fun, Throttled up and did some low high speed passes over the runway. Quit a few guys at the field today too and eveyone came over to see this plane fly Kind of a attention getter this plane is. Well about 8 minutes of fun flight then did a practice line up for landing but I hit it perfect the first try so I just throttle down and let it settle down to the runway then a little flair and touched down on the mains for a perfect landing, I forgot how much I liked this plane and how nice it flew. I don't think they make the Dego any more but sell the same plane as the VooDoo now and I'm having trouble NOT ordering one to keep as a backup if anything should happen the the Dego. Here is the thread I started on it in 2008 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82..._1/key_/tm.htm

Dauntae
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 AM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VQ Dego Red still flying

I flew mine a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 3 years. Same situation as you. Took some time off and came back. I love mine. I was not as lucky as you. I had to do several go arounds before I got the whole approach just right. Unfortunately the landing was not perfect. I slightly bent one of the main gear. Not bad but I'll need to remove the retract to try and straighten it out. I purchased the retracts from vq. Not really the best quality in my opinion. Would like to replace with something else. Just not sure what. Did forget how much fun it is to fly.

Gene
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Dauntae

I'm actually trying out some electric retracts from hobby king, There only $35 ish so if there not good I'm not out much, If there decent ill let you know, heck they even come with struts, should have them in a week or two and I'll post up when I get them. Here is a link to the ones I ordered. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31836

Dauntae
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM
chopper man

I would be interested to hear how they work out. Keep me posted. Thanks
Gene
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Dauntae

The UPS guy showed up when I was leaving for work (I work 2nd shift) so I've been playing around with them, just have not been able to see them work until I can get to my transmitter and a RX. I'll be installing them when I get home from work and give my review on them and hopefully they both work and retract right, The struts do look nice though. I'll have the write up later on.

Well The install wasn't as I hoped so no drop i replacement on this plane but it was close, The plastic insert for the gear fit them except for the part that sticks out the back. I don't know what it's called, but it keeps the wheels straight with the suspension. Well it was about 1/4 inch in the wrong place so I took the plastic insert out for now to get them installed and will figure out what I will do about it later, But as for the gear they work great, Both go up and down at the same speed and at a pretty realistic speed not like the mechanical ones there replacing, They went just to fast IMHO but the electric moves a little slower and at a steady speed. I have them in the wing and went to adjust the wheels so there pointing right but wouldn't you know it I'm missing one allen key, The one I need LOL So I'll get one tomorrow, Right now the wheels are pointing toe out quit a bit LOL But no biggie for now, Now I just have to figure out how I am going to cut the plastic and make it look good so these gear fit right in the liner of the bays. Got some thinking to do. Will try to get some pics soon and also plan to add a little covering and unfortunately the covering one this plane although looks real nice is just sticky back covering and I don't know if mono-coat will stick to it or not. But so far these gear look like a winner and I'm very happy with them.

Dauntae
A few pics when I was messing with them at work SHHHHH don't tell the boss.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 AM
chopper man

Looking forward to seeing more. VQ has retracts coming in July for the Dago. Wonder if its the same ones.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Dauntae

Ok I got some time and got them installed, NOT as good as a fit as I hoped but with a little trimming of the gear bays and they fit right in and look pretty good. and YES I did clean up the cuts on the plastic some, These were the test fits and cleaned them up after it was all finished.
My overall impression of these gear is really good, They go up and down slower than the old ones in a more scale fassion, They have a safety so if there is any obstruction they will stop but WILL go back down, I put something in the way to see if it would keep drawing power if they ever did have a issue and after a few seconds being blocked they power off and stop drawing on the battery and just stay half retracted, BUT go down when I hit the switch. (Nice option IMHO) So I'm really glad I took the chance and ordered a set without breaking the bank,So for $35 I got the gear, The oleo struts and the wheels, so it was a HUGE bargain and a very happy purchase.

Dauntae

The cutting I had to do.

with the gear in retracted

AH the wheels outbound of the gear like the real P51

I really think the gear adds to the looks of this plane

Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
chopper man

That looks really good. I have a set of the wire retracts in mine. I slightly bent one on landing and haven't gotten around to fixing it. Now after seeing yours and ow they look I may buy those and put them in my Dago Red. Thanks for the pics and the info.

Gene
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
chopper man

Just followed your lead and purchased them

Gene
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Dauntae

The part I like is if the electric part that so many worry about does die out on them, Besides that there inexpensive is that the VQ retracts that are also bent on mine can be used to put the struts on. Will have to cut them to about 1 inch but the struts will go on and still look good, Just hope they last.

Dauntae