Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Planes big stik 60-wing flew off !!!

Really loved this plane,had a nice supertigre 90 on it and was flying straight and level when the wing just departed from the fuse. Everything is destroyed but after inspecting the damage and looking for a cause, we found that the center plywood pin had come apart and once it did, the wing just ripped off.Anyone out there flying this ARF, please check the integrity of this on your plane. I can take losing a plane with no problem, but this one went down very near where several people were and could have caused a lot of damage or worse could have hurt someone. I'm just thankful that mine didn't.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes big stik 60-wing flew off !!!

Call Great Planes. While they probably wont replace everything, as long as it was built to the manual, they might replace the plane itself.

Doesn't hurt to try anyway!

Bill S.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #56
    Goldberg Tiger Club #17
    SIG Brotherhood #69

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #135
    http://radiocontrolhobbies.freeservers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had same problem with a H9 120 here in brazil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I lost mine last week the same way. Lost everything,dle20 pretty costly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like Stiks but don't think much about the Great Planes Sticks. They fly good but are not made that well. I've seen tails come off and the wing pin issue  also. I've told folks who bought them to beef-up the tail section when assembling and the wing as well. Once you do that as well as the typical arf reinforcements it's a better plane.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not to rain on your parade, and I am guilty of doing it myself, but you installed an engine a lot larger than what it was designed for in the first place. Additional reinforcement was likely necessary. Again, no disrespect, but this should be taken into consideration.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a couple planes with this type of flat ply PIN holding the wing on. i took some GOOD 1/8th ply and traced the root rib, cut it out and then laminated it between the two wings when gluing the wing together.. Makes a MUCH stronger pin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A .91 two-stroke is in the recommended range for this model.

On mine I noticed wood dust on the tab and saws a groove starting. I bent a piece of thin brass and glued it over the tab with epoxy. A little sanding opened the slot in the former.

My brother had a similar issue with the dowels on his H9 stick. He sleeved them with brass tubing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82440.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1886512  
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THE ROOT RIB ARE POPLAR PLYWOOD VERY POOR QUALITY , CALL TOWER .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stiks get a LOT of abuse and heavy flying.

As can be seen by the above posts, issues which arise are not endemic to any one manufacturer or are necessarily due to the "quality" of the plane.

I recommend re-inforcing Stiks as much as possible... they don't mind the extra weight at all.

On my GP .60 I inserted CF rods into the LE wing joints for strength. Metal Landing gear re-inforcement plates, Fults nose gear ( for the trike setups ), etc. etc.

I also had the wing fly off, but this was only after the plane had gone in nose first HARD several times and had been rebuilt each time.

The ballistic trajectory was amusing.

The DLE20 is a BIG & Powerful engine for a .60 Stik. We are flying our fleet of Giant Big Stik Club trainers with DLE 20's.

The planes weight in around 16lbs and while they will not hover with the 20cc engines, the DLE pulls the planes around with a lot of authority.

The instructors regularly take the planes up and perform aerobatics with this configuration.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay FlyerDave,
    I built and powered my G.P. .60~.90 powered Ugly Stick with a RCG 20cc gas engine. I managed to get over 150 flights on the beast, until I was 10' to low on the bottom of a loop. The fire wall is strong, but the tail section needs re-enforcement. From the forward leading edge of the stabilizer, forward 10" & aft under the leading edge 3", lay in aircraft grade plywood on all 3 sides of the aft end of the fuse (1/32"). Top and both sides and use a good glue to secure the plywood. I used titebond glue water soluble type and did this before I installed my rudder and elevator onto the fuselage during assembly. Also make a longer bottom piece...apply this piece equal to the other three, but go all the way down to the end of the stabilizers trailing edge. You need to stiffen up the tail section and with a 20cc gas engine up front, you will not believe just how much the model will vibrate. I also made a forward hatch on top, where the fuel tank normally goes. You will need easy access to this part of the model and believe me, you will want this modification. You will be sticking your ignition box, throttle servo and on/off switch in this area. Your fuel will go near the CG, in the center of the wing saddle and know there is not a lot of room here to work with. I placed my two 2300ma batteries (one for the receiver and one for the ignition unit) as far aft as I could and made a hatch on the bottom of the aft fuselage to hold these. The hatch covers for the forward section and aft battery compartment were made out of aircraft grade plywood...not light ply. I also placed my rudder and elevator servo aft near the tail, out side of the fuselage. Again...your going to need to shift as much weight aft as you can in this model with a 20cc gas engine. Last...I beefed up the belly with plywood were the main landing gear went and ordered and installed the main landing gear of the larger Ugly Stick Tower sells (only $15.00 at T.H.)+ 3 1/2" DuBro wheels. You will need the prop clearance and the added weight of the model needs stronger gear then the kit supplied main landing gear. I made mine a tail dragger and added a real heavy duty simi-scale tail wheel bracket to the model.

Last, before I epoxied the wing together...I copied the shape of the wing of the center section and cut a good solid piece of plywood to duplicate the kits center section of the wing...when I epoxied my doubler (made out of good aircraft grade plywood...not light ply), center wing brace and both wing half's together. Since the forward center wing hold down is wider, you will need to widen the fuselage forward bulkhead...where the forward part of the wing fits into the forward bulkhead slot. I then added a 3/32" plywood doubler forward, on the forward fuselage bulkhead, to strengthen the wing hold down. I coated the whole inside fuse with epoxy thinned & denatured alcohol.

My model had unlimited vertical and came just a tad over 9#...with a vertical performance that was awesome to witness. It was the most fun Ugly Stick I've ever owned and I've built and flown Ugly Sticks for over 40 years. This model with the 20cc gas engine is a floater...it will glide like no other model I've ever owned...and with 1000 sq. in., just a sweet flying model.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob Very nice tipo but can you post pictures.
    Thanks very much informaciΓ³n advance.