Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What is happening to this forum?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What is happening to this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is happening to this forum?

Have all the ARF people switched to needlecraft or something? I have noticed a drop in threads and responses to threads of late....the only forum I see "MANY" posts is the Warbirds forum. Any ideas why this is happening as this forum used to be FULL of new posts.....
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is happening to this forum?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe the instant gratification types have no time for RCU. Or it could be that people have finally come to the realization that ARF's Suck.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Probably because their wives won't let them. She sees a bunch of crashed planes laying around  that he can't fix, won't fix,
or  doesen't have time to fix and see says nooooooooo more.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM
mikegordon10

Well you've got a point there BUT what does this have to do with RCU?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM
cubcrasher

She's banned them from that too.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot more activity going on at FG these days. They seemed to come on strong when RCU performance and end user satisfaction suffered. I don't think there is a problem with ARF sales. Was at Joe Nall and Chief sold out of all their stock in a few days. And they brought several semi trucks of planes with them. But, prices are up as China labor rates increase. Maybe building will make a comeback? Jerry.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

What is there to build? Very few kit makers left, the kits advertised here and elsewhere are 20 years old and sellers want 2-3 times what an equivalent arf cost or what the kit originally sold for.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
mikegordon10

ORIGINAL: cubcrasher

Hum let's see. In my case I'm on wife # 3 but still building and flying. It's just a simple case of priorities.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes a lot of effort to photograph, edit the photos, and then upload them and write text. When you get practically no responses to all that effort it makes one wonder if it is actually worth it.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
cubcrasher

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

ORIGINAL: cubcrasher

Hum let's see. In my case I'm on wife # 3 but still building and flying. It's just a simple case of priorities.

You got that right.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see others have also noticed that traffic on this forum is slowing down, but I think it is slower in general throughout the RC glow and gas plane categories that I like to read. Could be the prices of planes and engines are just getting to be too much? I did not include radios in that sentence because I think the basic 4 to 7 channel systems have held their prices remarkably steady for decades. I've really slowed down my purchases as the price of ARFs has risen steadily. I have four more to build anyway, so I can stand on the sidelines a bit until something comes along that I gotta have. Jon
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Kmot on the very little appreciation shown for original content.

Also I would not be surprised if a lot of the ARF guys are playing with the quad copter type stuff now.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

They are all over at the scratch building forum (new definition....take ARF assemble...now...take ARF scratch build!) 
Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am still building and flying after 4 wives, but Kmot is right, it take a great deal of time and effort to post a build thread with pictures and from past experience on this forum the RCU crowd is loaded with mainly critics that in many cases don't have a stitch of building or design talent, and or hardly ever post anything worth while, they would rather express to you how things you are doing or are interested in sucks according to them. This is the reason many leave RCU, especially in the giant scale, 3D, or ARF areas; F/G or Team F/C are much more proactive when it comes to build threads or assembling and flying ARFs.

Bob
Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 AM
hrrcflyer

I've seen a drop off in posts about this time every year since I've been on RCU. I think it has to do with the weather finally turning nice and everybody is out flying their planes. It may be a little bit worse this year with all the problems RCU has had, but it will more than likely pick up again as soon as it turns cold again.

Take care,
David
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

IMO the economy has a lot to do with this. Jobs are being cut here and there and the new jobs are paying less than the old. ARF prices are getting way to high and the quality is at it's lowest and yet we are still expected to except what we receive. Shipping prices have hit an all time high and now we are going to have to pay taxes on what you buy online. Think that doesn't sound to bad, check the price of your average 50cc plane shipped from the east coast to the Midwest plus tax. Two years ago you could ship a 50cc plane across country for $30.00 and no tax. Now it will cost you on average $150.00 shipping plus tax which puts it around $200.00 plus. That's a lot of money for your average modeler. Electric's have come on strong since you can buy a quad copter or foamy and go to the local park and fly without paying club dues or AMA dues. This is slowly becoming a rich mans hobby.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Zippi . A big improvement would be more response's in a positive nature to new posts. Many of the posts I have looked at (members in need of help) can hardly get a question answered and some times only one response. I do enjoy this site and have learned a lot from those that contribute. Thanks, batdogp
Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Biggest problem here is RCU web site doesn't operate well most of the time.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm out flying
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 AM
[email protected]

the cost of any thing in rc is getting out of hand>> i buy planes from the swap meets and repair them>>i like to do that>>> i dont buy arfs>> just planes from kits>>> i just bought a space walker for a 120 size engine>> the owner said he was going to foam planes got the plane for 10.00 looks like new now>> good luck on the foam rip offs>>
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Have all the ARF people switched to needlecraft or something? I have noticed a drop in threads and responses to threads of late....the only forum I see "MANY" posts is the Warbirds forum. Any ideas why this is happening as this forum used to be FULL of new posts.....
What can you say about an ARFonce the newness has worn off? Kits are unique every time built and covered.

Ilike ARFs, fly them, bought one last night - but it is identical to every other ARF at the field and every field in the world. They don't hold interest for anyone but the pilot thereafter. All the hub-bub seems to be about how big a battery you can jamb in anymore and that's in the Electric forum(s)
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
djmoose
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, I'd guess that ARFs (and people who buy/fly them) have absolutely nothing to do with the traffic on this site.

RCU is dying a slow death.

It's actually funny because the marketplace is going strong...but the threads are dead.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 AM
[email protected]

i like to build kits make them the color i want it>>> not so it looks like everyone else has at the field>>and all other things from the mail order is to high every one wants make all they can from you
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tough look at the GP Giant Super Sportster thread, the Revolver, the Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel, TopFlite Staggerwing. Those are cooking right along with thousands of posts and hundreds of thousands of views each. If you're not interested in a specific model you tend not to notice.

I think one of the problems is there are too darned many highly specific sub-forums. I just look at a few in My Forums that I have selected. If you look at the "unfiltered" category choices there are bunches of posts going on.

I usually hang out at the Beginner's forum because at least the participants bringfresh viewpoints - even though the same questions get asked four times a year.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of the Jet guys' were censored and forums deleted. Go to:
http://www.rcjetaddiction.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.