Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

He's to busy typing thousands of unecessary commas to have time to do something as silly as reading the thread.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM
j301

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

He's to busy typing thousands of unecessary commas to have time to do something as silly as reading the thread.
Perhaps he is employing additional punctuation in an attempt to camouflage or downplay the aforementioned "unread" portion. In deed, I would say he is attempting to be a sort of "comma chameleon" so to speak!

(ya its bad, but hey, its a slow day here in the salt mines..)

Anyway, back to the business at hand, I don't know what side of the fence to fall on here. Part of me (glass 1/2 full guy) wants to think "great, it got worked out, life is swell again," while the little red gun the other shoulder keeps pointing out the fact that it took quite a long time, plus public recognition on a board like this to get things rolling. It is my personal (as a consumer) opinion that if there is a problem such as this that the vendor should pull out, or "can" the parts from one of their own kits. Then wait for the factory to send them a new replacement part. I do understand that this "canned kit" would likely have to be sold for a percentage less, but my thinking is that it would be a few dollars to buy the kind of word of mouth advertising a forum like this could, and does, provide. I know in my case if a vendor did this for me, I would certainly spread the word. And as you can see by many of the reactions here, people will agree with or fall on the side of "guilty until proven innocent" very quickly and believe the worst, many times claiming "well they just lost my $$$!" That in itself may or may not be true (my guess one memorial day flier advertising one of their 'dream kits' at 15% off and its crow for dinner with a smile.) That being said, the guy that's likely to be affected is the guy with a lump of dough in his pocket doing a quick search to see which vendor he is going to order that first P 51 from. As he looks over the newest google hits and sees a lot of highlighted "dont buy from vendor xyz" he may be quick to pick "vendor abc."
Just my 32900¢ .
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Wart Hog
My Feedback: (22)

[/quote]
Perhaps he is employing additional punctuation in an attempt to camouflage or downplay the aforementioned ''unread'' portion. In deed, I would say he is attempting to be a sort of ''comma chameleon'' so to speak!
[/quote]

Oh Nooooo.. Not a Boy George reference. ** Shaking my head ** lol
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
j301

ORIGINAL: Wart Hog

Oh Nooooo.. Not a Boy George reference. ** Shaking my head ** lol
Ya I agree, in retrospect that likely had a negative affect on my ethos...[:@]
Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: retransit

Hi

I have to jump in here . I only read the first post . Yep,......................... sounds like them .
Okay, there's your first mistake. Try reading the thread before you incinerate anyone.

Bob
Hi

The whole thread is suppose to be based ,............................... on the first post ,............................. there,s no mistake .And I didn,t incinerate,t any , " ONE " , .......... just TBM .

I do appoligize if I have hit a note with a few , " THAT " wasn,t my goal .
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Michel

ORIGINAL: retransit

Hi

I have to jump in here . I only read the first post . Yep,......................... sounds like them .
Okay, there's your first mistake. Try reading the thread before you incinerate anyone.

Bob
Hi

The whole thread is suppose to be based ,............................... on the first post ,............................. there,s no mistake .And I didn,t incinerate,t any , '' ONE '' , .......... just TBM .

I do appoligize if I have hit a note with a few , '' THAT '' wasn,t my goal .
Michel -

I apologize for making fun of all the ,,,,,,,,,,,,. punctuation. Don't know what got into me. Sometimes the conversations here on RCU become so deadly serious and nasty so sometimes it's fun to just lighten up.

Please accept my apology.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Wart Hog

I'm glad to report the big brown airplane delivery truck just dropped off two brand new engine nacelles for an ESM B-25.
Thank you very much Bill. I am excited to get the project completed and in the air.

I am glad so many have responded to this thread with their experiences good and bad. That is what I had hoped for. Everyone who posted was civil and respectful. These are the type of informative pages that people would like to see when they are trying to decide on where to spend their money.

For ones that are on the fence after reading these pages, go ahead and give TBM a shot. I am going to.
I am shopping TBM's page now. A bit torn between the 85" Corsair or jumping into jets and getting a Tornado and turbine.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
sturmovik60

Warthog  I'm glad that you got your issue solved with TBM. Its great when a company finally mans up and admits when they are wrong. Great job TBM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Wart Hog

Oh, Sorry I forgot to put the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in my post. Just kidding with ya Michel. lol
You didn't hit a note with anyone. Some of us on here look for an opportunity to kid around with each other. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Wart Hog

ORIGINAL: sturmovik60

Warthog I'm glad that you got your issue solved with TBM. Its great when a company finally mans up and admits when they are wrong. Great job TBM.
Yep, TBM earned respect points with a lot of people coming here.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Michel

Oh, Sorry I forgot to put the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in my post. Just kidding with ya Michel. lol
You didn't hit a note with anyone. Some of us on here look for an opportunity to kid around with each other. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Hi
Hey ,................ we all , " laugh " in the same language . Besides ,............... this gentalman at TBM , wants to make this right . You got youre parts . It,s not a , " win " , ............... just a good feeling .

Michel
Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM
j301

. A bit torn between the 85'' Corsair or jumping into jets and getting a Tornado and turbine.
Me too, now as soon as that pesky extra kidney of mine hits its reserve price on ebay I will really start to wonder which way to go....
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Lone_eagle
My Feedback: (181)

Hi Guys,
I've built four ESM models that I purchased from TBM. Most had very few small problems like missing screws and parts that didn't fit correctly most of which I could handle. However, with the latest one, a BF-110 it had some more serious issues and I had to call TBM directly a number of times. I dealt with Bill there and he was extremely courteous and helpful and only in one case did I have to wait for a replacement part to become available. When it became available, they sent it out first class the day after it arrived. If I had any issues it would be quality control of ESM themselves but TBM seemed willing to do whatever was necessary to get them resolved.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

To Bill @ TBM & Warthog !! The ESM 95'' B-25 started out as a KMP !! This I know because I recently finished one and have flown it several times now on two 91 4c's
The original problem was with the outter wing panels being flat or no anhedral !! This I know because my good friend that I bought it from also gave me the wrong outter wing panels in which I still have !! When i got it home and started building it I noticed that the wooden spars that connect the nacells to the center section were missing!! a real pain in the arse to make pattern & they are aslo in millameters in thicknes !! I called Andy Kondor after my friend could not find them and he said NO PROBLEM!! he was flying down to his warehouse in Florida in the next few weeks and was pretty sure that he had some their!! Sure enuf a few weeks later here came my wood spars at no cost to me !! AND I had'nt even bought it from Andy at KMP !! I even made some post on here praising his customer service !! I believe that someone in China may have gotten the old plans or molds because KMP knew they had a problem and corrected it with new wings Who knows where the old plans & molds went !! the center section is built up as is the outter wing panels and the nacells are glass because of the complexity of the rear teardrop shape and also the flaps !! I to have tried several times to order an odd size bambula prop 23x12 I use on my Meister Corsair to no avail !! its still listed on their website and has been for a few years now !! BUT its always back ordered over the phone !! Glad you finally got your parts !! & Warthog and if you need any building help let me know !!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Wart Hog

Thanks for the offer Dale. This kit only had an issue on one side. The dihedral was off but the spar pocket was installed wrong as well. I had epoxied the nacelles to the center section and was installing the engines and outboard wing panels when I noticed it. The left nacelle was pointing down putting a huge amount of negative incidence in the engine thrust line and the outboard panel.
It was an "Ooops" at the factory.

The only thing I am trying to find now is a quality pilot and copilot that do not cost as much as the airplane itself. lol
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I called them four times in two weeks and now about four weeks after my last call, TBM has not returned my call or responded in anyway. Needless to say, I'm done. I'm going to try to resolve my ZDZ 40 issue on my own. I was patient, I gave them plenty of time to contact me prior to this post. I've learned my lesson, no more TBM for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I ordered some machine tees from Dons Hobbies. I saw their advertizement in Model Avation. Since I'm on my own with the ZDZ, I thought I would start by going to a two line system vs the three Iuse now and use a Perry chk valve. I digress... anyway, I saw these metal tees in Dons advertisement and decided thats the way to go. These things are apparently very popular as they were back ordered from his vendor. After two weeks I called and spoke to Dustin who said they were still not in. I'm thinking here we go again but I decided to be patient as I've seen back orders before. Well I'm here to tell you, Dustin called me today and informed me that not only did the tees arrive,but also, he was sending them priority mail. I'm impressed that he took time this afternoon, (A Saturday at that), and personally call me and update the status. I'm sorry I didn't get his last name but I'm impressed with the personal service. When I first contacted him, he also attempted to offer some suggestions to my engine issue eventhough he didnt sell it to me. Looks like I'll be using these folks some more.

Last edited by WILDCRASHWILLY; 08-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 PM
HOT COALS

I REALY DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TBM. . IF THEY HAD THE ITEM IN STOCK, I RECIEVED IT IN A FEW DAY'S . OR GO ELSE WHERE . I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MODEL I BOUGHT FROM THEM. ( STINSON 108 ). BUILT BY ECOMRC. #1 NO GLUE IN THE MIDDLE OF FUSAGE BULK HEAD. I BELIEVE JUST THE COVERING IS HOLDING IT IN PLACE. # 2 WHEN ATTACHING WING STRUT TO FUSAGE , THE BLIND NUT FELL INTO A POCKET, IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TO. I DID MANAGE TO REMDY THAT SITUATION. # 3 NOWN COMES THE PROBLEM , THE TYPE OF WOOD THEY USE FOR THE FIRE WALL & THE MOTOR MOUNT. IN DRILLING THE HOLES FOR THE STAND OFFS , THE WOOD SPLIT TO THE RIGHT UPPER CORNER. #@&*%#@$% ALSO THE LEFT BOTTOM LEFT &*%@#$%@& . OK I HAVE A PROBLEM !!!. THE MOTOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, WITH BETTER QUALITY WOOD. I DID WANT TO GET A FEW FLIGHTS ON HER BEFORE I STRIPPED HER DOWN AND RECOVER WITH STILTS COVERING & PAINT. I FEEL THE MONEY THAT I PAID FOR THIS BIRD WAS NOT A GOOD DEAL. THIS WAS MY FIRST ARF AND MY LAST. GOING BACK TO SCRATCH BUILT . MAYBE A LITTLE LONGER TO GET INTO AIR , BUT AT LEASE ILL KNOW SHE IS BUILT. FLEET BUILDER & STINSON FLYER.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been dealing with TBM for a while now and with a little patience, you will get good service from them. I have purchased the F6F from them and a PTE 36R. The PTE 36R had a manufacturing defect and I contacted them about it. The had me return the engine and when the new supply of the engines were received from them, sent mine out ASAP. They sent me e-mails and phoned me about the engine and its shipment out to me. As far as I am concerned, these are good folks, trying to do good...at least with me. I will buy from them again and they will ship USPS Express mail too and save you money on shipping. I live in Hawaii and shipping is always a concern, as well as an added expense. I also find that being civil with your words helps out in any exchange. I was treated well and I was kept informed.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 08-17-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can also highly recommend TBM for its service. I bought a B-25 several years ago and broke the wing. At the time I had to purchase a whole new plane as parts were not yet available. The second plane had the wing droop problem which I showed them at Toledo this year. I recently received several emails that they have a new set of wings coming to me on the next container. TBM even shared the email sent to them from ESM with me. I believe they try very hard to resolve well documented issues for us pilots. I sent photos of my situation at their request and made no demands. I simply asked if anything could be done to resolve my droopy wing problem. I have four ESM planes and I will purchase more from TBM in the future.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience was good. But it was just a 100 dollar prop.
I did have a concern related to the prop issue. And tbm/biela offered to replace it.

Bill is the guy I deal with. They all are busy. I think they forget to be honest. A post here and it gets attention. Still a year (back to original post sub is way too long! Period!

i am or was seriously considering an esm p51. This is the source of my hesitation
Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM
oldbassard

I WAS thinking about buying thier big Stuka, Not anymore. Thanks for the tip about thier poor customer service. Hmmm a few years back, they were painting small childrens toys with leaded paint and selling them to America. The Chinese gov beheaded the CEO of the toy company for it. Maybe we should contact the Chinese Gov. Off with thier heads!

Really, I am sorry for your missfortune and appreciate the heads up.

Last edited by oldbassard; 09-09-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I have been dealing with TBM for a while now and with a little patience, you will get good service from them.
????

Not sure what you're trying to say there.

A little patience? As in, having to call back several times to get anyone's attention, wait more than a week or so for replacement parts, etc.? Sorry, but I'm a bit simpler in that regard. I have a problem, I call (and this is why I don't do business with most "on-line vendors" who don't even provide a phone number). Either they fix my problem, or they don't. If they don't when I call, I'm not going to beg... or give them another chance to brush me off again.

As for this particular vendor... it would appear that we have their attention ... for now.

The test will be six months/a year from now, after this thread has died down.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well Unlike one person whose caps lock is broken, I did read the entire thread. It is good to see the Company come here and respond direct to this complaint.

However, being that I am in Customer Service/Support in a Tech company, The Huge mistake made here that could have prevented this thread from ever coming about is Communication.

Bill, you seem like a stand up guy and truly take your job seriously, but, a simple note back to the customer, in this case Wart Hog, that you explained here, at the time it happened is all it takes to keep a customer satisfied, even if its a quick note to say, I am looking into it and will get back to you., and then do get back to him. It's amazing how quickly that can settle down a customer by letting them know that you are not ignoring them, and in this situation, is exactly what it appeared to be with the customer. Keep up the good work, and keep that simple rule in mind.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some good advice spoken acdii........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.